As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread 4.0

ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morningAnd the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited May 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
Courtesy of @Bogart

Given the volume of discussion around this topic, we're gonna be doing things a bit differently until further notice. Instead of one thread, we'll be using two and a half threads.
  • An updates and information thread. News about response efforts, updates on the spread of the virus, new resources to keep track of news, political developments directly related to the virus, etc. No rumors, no twitter randos, do your best to make sure it's verified information before posting to this thread.
  • A general coronavirus discussion thread. How things are happening in your town, how you're doing, how your family is doing, and other things you don't think go into the updates thread this goes in the general thread.
  • The existing chat thread. There are lots of 'fun' or interesting things, posts tangentially related to the disease, cool videos, twitter posts, etc, that aren't news, or really something to discuss. Feel free to post them in the existing chat thread, because it's there for you, even if you don't usually post there. They're not all bad people. It's there, you might as well use it.

This should help us have some readable threads, given the current volume of posts.

I'll be using my move posts powers occasionally, to keep things where they belong, so don't be surprised if that happens.

Burrack made a thread for lockdown resources, so you might want to look at that as well.

This thread has shown itself to be more than willing to go romping off into fields filled with discussions of secession and civil war and alien invasions and what have you, and it shouldn't do that.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
ceres on

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Unless you live in Texas or one of these other red states that is throwing open the floodgates once more it is difficult to comprehend just how buck wild it is. Growing up I would never have expected for a virus that kills people to be politicized but here we are.

Addendum: it should have been obvious that as soon as the GOP learned that black people were dying in disproportionately high percentages, this virus would become political

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It was political from the start. Like Trump claimed back in February it was going to be gone, so from the start the GOP has been running bullshit screen to back that up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Unless you live in Texas or one of these other red states that is throwing open the floodgates once more it is difficult to comprehend just how buck wild it is. Growing up I would never have expected for a virus that kills people to be politicized but here we are.

Addendum: it should have been obvious that as soon as the GOP learned that black people were dying in disproportionately high percentages, this virus would become political

While I'm all for calling the GOP out for racism, the virus was political as soon as someone told Trump he had to actually do something in response. When confronted with needing to actually take action, read things, and listen to briefings and advice that aren't just about how awesome he is Trump was obviously going to dig his heels in any insist that no, in fact he doesn't need to do any of those things. The GOP instantly rushed to have his back by agreeing that obviously nothing needs to be done and, as is their wont, blaming any evidence to the contrary on Those Gosh Darned Democrats. And now here we are.

The fact that the virus is especially hard on minority communities and the poor is just icing on the shit cake for the GOP.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Some of them seem to have taken it as white people are genetically resistant. This means they have put it in the "not our problem, who cares, LOL" mental bucket. Given the situation in Italy this is obviously wrong. They could be in for a rude awakening.

In reality, black people are probably more affected due to issues of poverty (overcrowding, earlier ill-health) and location (more likely to live in cities)

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It was political from the start. Like Trump claimed back in February it was going to be gone, so from the start the GOP has been running bullshit screen to back that up.

Aye. What made it political was that Trump ignored it and the results of it affected Trump's re-election chances. So Trump made it a thing and everyone on the right is just following his lead.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Have your rights been violated? Call now

https://youtu.be/DPUbnzTGyU8

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So, you want to send kids back to school. Step one is controlling the pandemic, as has been done where I live (two new cases of covid in a 5 million population yesterday).

Then you have a plan
    Gradual Approach to Optional In-Class Instruction

A five-staged approach has been developed to operate schools.

Depending on risk of transmission, for the remainder of the 2019/2020 school year:

For Kindergarten to Grade 5, this means most students will go to school half time (such as alternating days)
    Grades 6-12 will go to school about one day a week
    Children of essential service workers and students needing additional supports will have the option to attend school full time
    Families that decide not to send their children to class may continue learning from home

If you want a huge government response to deal with the pandemic so kids going back to school is possible, the way to do it is to control the pandemic, not draft non-trained people and force them to be in close proximity to children.

:so_raven:
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

While I'm all for calling the GOP out for racism, the virus was political as soon as someone told Trump he had to actually do something in response. When confronted with needing to actually take action, read things, and listen to briefings and advice that aren't just about how awesome he is Trump was obviously going to dig his heels in any insist that no, in fact he doesn't need to do any of those things. The GOP instantly rushed to have his back by agreeing that obviously nothing needs to be done and, as is their wont, blaming any evidence to the contrary on Those Gosh Darned Democrats. And now here we are.

The fact that the virus is especially hard on minority communities and the poor is just icing on the shit cake for the GOP.

This is true, but when you had the Republican governments shift from taking it seriously to "Fuck it, we're reopening." was right after the news about how it was hitting the Black community started to come out.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

This is true, but when you had the Republican governments shift from taking it seriously to "Fuck it, we're reopening." was right after the news about how it was hitting the Black community started to come out.

I remain unconvinced that Trump himself gives a fuck about anybody dying, regardless of skin color. His advisors on the other hand...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Spouses test results came back: Negative on both PCR and antibody tests.

Thank fuck.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Every time I have to go out I just want to scream at people not wearing masks. It's not for your protection so much as for mine you asshole

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Hakks when you finish school I'm sending you a very nice, tastefully framed SUPER LAWYER so it turns out Super Lawyers is a genuine lawyer rating service. Congrats to Taylor.

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Every time I have to go out I just want to scream at people not wearing masks. It's not for your protection so much as for mine you asshole

Do they make paintballs filled with disinfectant? Then we could just kind of hose them down for the benefit of the general public...

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

yes, but they don't care about you.

I'm starting to feel weary about getting pissed about people outdoors without masks. Outdoors, especially fleeting contact outdoors, seems to not be the main vector of transmission. As long as a decent number of people are masked I'm too tired to get stressed about the others, as long as they're not also just lingering in tight quarters in groups. Yeah it's sloppy. So's stranger sex without a condom. You can't stop people from banging and you can only expect so many others to voluntarily do it safely. it's just a lot more visible when it's a condom for your face.

Indeed. Our top health official has said the chance of infection for outdoor interactions is very low. The point of masks is for indoors when distancing isn't possible. If you're out for a solitary walk or run or whatever, there's probably not much point to the mask.

Corvus wrote: »
    Indeed. Our top health official has said the chance of infection for outdoor interactions is very low. The point of masks is for indoors when distancing isn't possible. If you're out for a solitary walk or run or whatever, there's probably not much point to the mask.

i mean you should still have one with you in case you find yourself in a situation where you can't distance. I haven't gone running in a while because of ~still fucking working on school shit oh my god please make it stop~ but I don't need old ladies yelling at me again, masks are useful as a social signaling technique. But if I'm out for a run I just can't keep the mask on the whole time, it's suffocating. The risk of infection is likely low enough that not pulling the mask up every time is not hugely risky behavior.

Now if you're having a picnic for several hours and talking into each others faces from close quarters? Different story.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

Some of them seem to have taken it as white people are genetically resistant. This means they have put it in the "not our problem, who cares, LOL" mental bucket. Given the situation in Italy this is obviously wrong. They could be in for a rude awakening.

In reality, black people are probably more affected due to issues of poverty (overcrowding, earlier ill-health) and location (more likely to live in cities)

Currently in the US it is a poor man's disease. That is only because the poor are disproportionately likely to have jobs that cannot be done remotely and so have to continue exposing themselves while everyone else can quarantine. (It's not a universally true proxy, but true often enough to matter) However, people are leaving quarantine. Meaning they are now increasingly exposing themselves like essential workers have been doing throughout. There is nothing about the virus that cares about your race or your status; just your exposure.

It won't be a poor man's disease come July. At least, across the South where they're masqueing the red death.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I wear a mask 10-12 hours a day even when there's not a pandemic. Fuck if I'm wearing one on the walk home.

dispatch.o on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Hmm, "asshole?" Singular?

Here when I'm out and about I might, might run into one other person who has a mask. When I go to the office to do some physical work, I'm literally the only person on-site with a mask, all the sales counter folks point at me and laugh like they're in a high school being depicted on TV or in a movie.

I live in what is described as the "coronavirus hotspot" for our state and yet the population of said hotspot largely feels that it's all blown out of proportion. They will sagely nod that it's truly terrible how many of our elderly have died in our local nursing homes these past few months from coronavirus and then, without hesitation nor blinking, talk about how the media has blown it out of proportion and they see masks on TV and shake their head.

There is no dichotomy of thinking here, for them. They are the "reasonable people" who know coronavirus is bad but whenever you talk about protective measures, c'mon, it's not that bad.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    There are reasons one wouldn’t need to wear a mask that aren’t irresponsible though right

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    There are reasons one wouldn’t need to wear a mask that aren’t irresponsible though right

I guess, maybe, if you have severe breathing problems

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Currently in the US it is a poor man's disease. That is only because the poor are disproportionately likely to have jobs that cannot be done remotely and so have to continue exposing themselves while everyone else can quarantine. (It's not a universally true proxy, but true often enough to matter) However, people are leaving quarantine. Meaning they are now increasingly exposing themselves like essential workers have been doing throughout. There is nothing about the virus that cares about your race or your status; just your exposure.

It won't be a poor man's disease come July. At least, across the South where they're masqueing the red death.

Even if exposure is equal, poor people are more likely to have comorbidities and less likely to have good healthcare

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    You can't stop people from banging

How defeatist

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I don't wear a mask when I'm outside exercising.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

How defeatist

We’re all in this together

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

If you've had it and recovered from it, the best evidence shows that you can't get it again, nor serve as a vector.

But I'm pretty sure tine 50% of the Home Depot crowd I saw without masks the other day were not all COVID survivors, soooooo.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

How defeatist

The american evangelical community has been part of a long-running trial on whether you can stop people from banging and the results are pretty conclusive. The best you can do is deflect them to another hole.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

The people who have a legitimate reason not to wear a mask in public are also the people at the highest risk if they actually catch the disease.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So my girlfriend's uncle was just diagnosed with terminal cancer of the everything and has two years left if treatment goes perfectly. Which it probably won't, and the treatment makes him susceptible to everything, ESPECIALLY shit like COVID, so she can't go visit, and also he lives on the opposite coast.

It's especially rough because she had ANOTHER uncle who got sick and died and she was never able to visit him before he passed for various reasons, and now it looks like the same thing might be happening again, and fuck everything.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    here in NZ, schools opened on Monday.

We have had several days of 0 new cases, we are holding steady so far at only 21 deaths, and all of our currently known outbreaks are well, known.

My child's daycare has lines at the front door and out the one entry gate. a staff member is waiting inside with a thermometer to check the temps of the kids going in. We are to bring our own pen and fill out contact tracing forms every morning. Name, child's name, phone number, childs' temp. has your child been unwell in the last 24 hours? are you the one picking up the kid, or is somebody else?

Then you sanitise your hands, go into the kids classroom, drop them off, do the normal sign in sheet there saying that you dropped the kid off and are now leaving, say goodbye and leave through the one exit gate.

overall, i feel pretty confident in my daycare, and I'm pleased with the levels and things they are doing. Are they distancing the kids from each other? Yes, to the best of their ability. they're doing rolling lunch time so each group only has 10 kids sitting at the table at a time. But other than that, they're letting the kids play as kids should be doing.

there is running outside, playing in sand, painting and colouring and the kids are being just normal kids and let me tell you, that makes this momma's heart grow. All the things that I cannot do for her at home, she is getting there.

I just wish that my experience wasn't the outlier here

shryke wrote: »

How defeatist

The american evangelical community has been part of a long-running trial on whether you can stop people from banging and the results are pretty conclusive. The best you can do is deflect them to another hole.

I was just doing a bit :P

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I'm starting to feel weary about getting pissed about people outdoors without masks. Outdoors, especially fleeting contact outdoors, seems to not be the main vector of transmission. As long as a decent number of people are masked I'm too tired to get stressed about the others, as long as they're not also just lingering in tight quarters in groups. Yeah it's sloppy. So's stranger sex without a condom. You can't stop people from banging and you can only expect so many others to voluntarily do it safely. it's just a lot more visible when it's a condom for your face.

This is where I'm at. I don't wear a mask if I'm out alone walking around or running outdoors. I do wear it in busy environments and stores, or if I'm in a situation where I'm in close confines with other people.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/1rEO8iJB45A

This might help convince people you know, so I am posting it here. The incredible difference in the rate of death is just staggering.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion

We have had several days of 0 new cases, we are holding steady so far at only 21 deaths, and all of our currently known outbreaks are well, known.

My child's daycare has lines at the front door and out the one entry gate. a staff member is waiting inside with a thermometer to check the temps of the kids going in. We are to bring our own pen and fill out contact tracing forms every morning. Name, child's name, phone number, childs' temp. has your child been unwell in the last 24 hours? are you the one picking up the kid, or is somebody else?

Then you sanitise your hands, go into the kids classroom, drop them off, do the normal sign in sheet there saying that you dropped the kid off and are now leaving, say goodbye and leave through the one exit gate.

overall, i feel pretty confident in my daycare, and I'm pleased with the levels and things they are doing. Are they distancing the kids from each other? Yes, to the best of their ability. they're doing rolling lunch time so each group only has 10 kids sitting at the table at a time. But other than that, they're letting the kids play as kids should be doing.

there is running outside, playing in sand, painting and colouring and the kids are being just normal kids and let me tell you, that makes this momma's heart grow. All the things that I cannot do for her at home, she is getting there.

As someone stuck at home with a four year old, that sounds pretty awesome. Though I hope someone is developing an app for childcare providers so that all those forms and things can be done touchless in the future

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I don't think you have to wear a mask while running if you know for a fact that nobody is going to come within a couple meters of you or pass through the same space that you occupied within, say, thirty seconds of you doing so.

But since you can only really know that to be a fact for the next twenty seconds, you better have a mask to put on when a couple hikers pop up on your ordinarily lonely, seven foot wide trail. Assuming you're on a trail in the first place. If you're in a cityscape, huffing and puffing in the vicinity of handrails, doorknobs, etc, then you'd better be wearing a mask the whole time.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I know we can't

And also it's bad social distancing and therefore we shouldn't

But every time I see someone with their mask down under their nose (but otherwise covering their face)

I just

I just wanna march up to them

And just

boop

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

As someone stuck at home with a four year old, that sounds pretty awesome. Though I hope someone is developing an app for childcare providers so that all those forms and things can be done touchless in the future

My childcare provider has an app we use to sign in. We can even sign in specifically from our own phone device to minimize like surface contact

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    And now, some levity from a resident of Atlanta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQPZe7cD7w

uH3IcEi.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    furlion wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/1rEO8iJB45A

This might help convince people you know, so I am posting it here. The incredible difference in the rate of death is just staggering.

IDK what to do with my coworkers, they flat out don't believe the deaths are covid related at all, everyone's just making them up

they have glommed onto the single data point that prisons have 95+% asymptomatic positive rates, and the low death count in prisons nation wide as proof that the virus is not a threat at all

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.