As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    right, missed the 'lite' part when I first posted :P

BahamutZERO.gif
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I think the implication was that it was a crossover game, and the Paper Mario seen in Paper Jam is supposed to be the Paper Mario from all the Paper Mario games.

Bingo.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Poking around to see if there was any news on a hypothetical Splatoon 3, and came across this person's absolutely fantastic concept art work:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k4PeYz

Worth a look, they put a ton of love and effort into it!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Those shark enemy designs are radddd

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Holy cow! That's a lot of pro-level work! I just kept scrolling and scrolling!

I know the industry doesn't work this way, but just hire them on Nintendo!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Seriously, that should get them in the door anywhere, thats incredible.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So the next few months are going to be great for me gaming wise.

I'm currently in Animal Crossing heaven and working on finally finishing up TMS. Then I get Xenoblade this month which will take all my time for quite a while. Then Paper Mario in July.

Not bad at all for me.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I watched that whole long ass gameexplain for the new paper Mario. They actually do get quite a bit more than I would have expected from the trailer.

I think this game might have more similarities to ttyd than it seems at first glance. It’s not a carbon copy sequel by far. But there looks like there might be a lot of small things that are trying to bring beloved aspects of that game into the newer paper Mario infrastructure.

I definitely am excited for it. I am kind of more excited that if it really does have some nods to ttyd then it makes the rumors of rereleased 3D Mario games more likely.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I'm currently in Animal Crossing heaven and working on finally finishing up TMS. Then I get Xenoblade this month which will take all my time for quite a while. Then Paper Mario in July.

Not bad at all for me.

For me, I know that they're ports, but I'm looking forward to Borderlands, Bioshock, The Outer Worlds, Burnout, Trails of Cold Steel 3, plus Xenoblade and Paper Mario.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Honestly, using the Gamexplain video as a basis, it looks like a neat mixture of classic PM stuff and some of the newer ideas.

I'm quite excited for it.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Not bad at all for me.

For me, I know that they're ports, but I'm looking forward to Borderlands, Bioshock, The Outer Worlds, Burnout, Trails of Cold Steel 3, plus Xenoblade and Paper Mario.

Say, is there any reason to get the original Borderlands? Open for anyone to answer, of course, it's the only one I'm undecided on.

camo_sig2.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I started playing Borderlands 1 and got halfway through and petered out, it was grindy and samey and everyone says I made a mistake by playing it because I've never wanted to play BL2.

Sort of like playing Assassin's Creed 1, for the exact same reasons. I petered out on that game pretty fast and then watched the final mission and ending, and moved on to AC2 which I loved by comparison.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »

Not bad at all for me.

Say, is there any reason to get the original Borderlands? Open for anyone to answer, of course, it's the only one I'm undecided on.

TBH I like it better than 2. The weapon design works a little better and the NG+ options don't fuck you over as hard since Slag isn't a thing.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Not bad at all for me.

TBH I like it better than 2. The weapon design works a little better and the NG+ options don't fuck you over as hard since Slag isn't a thing.

Yeah I vastly prefer the first one. I found the humor to be less forced.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    On the flip side, there is virtually no plot in BL1. It's still a neat game to go through, but if you're looking to play the series and catch up on the story, I can summarize the whole thing in a sentence or two.
    4 Vault hunters are looking for a vault of treasures. Turns out to be a giant alien. Along the way a doctor named Patricia Tannis goes batshit crazy. The end.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • zipidideezipididee Registered User regular
    I'm weirdly excited for a new version of clubhouse games. I played the hell out of the DS version.
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/clubhouse-games-51-worldwide-classics-switch/

Maybe the perfect thing for when I want to play 10 minutes of something.

*ching ching* Just my two cents
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I just want the damn HD Zeldas!

I want Metroid Prime more, but yes it is absolutely baffling that they have not put out the already remastered Zelda games from the WiiU

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Not bad at all for me.

The world of BL1 is so fucking boring though. BL2 actually has color and areas that aren't just brown wasteland.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Not bad at all for me.

The world of BL1 is so fucking boring though. BL2 actually has color and areas that aren't just brown wasteland.

I can deal with that over the awful humor lol.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    BL1 was simple. It was what it was, and I really enjoyed it. Especially multiplayer with a friend.

BL2 got complicated, and maybe also in part to my limited size of screen to view it, it got too busy both visually and in the game play mechanisms and wasn't as simple to just enjoy in the same way as BL1. It was good, and I enjoyed it, but I didn't dig into the DLC as much as 1.

So I like them both, but for different reasons.

It reminds me of Portal 1 and 2. Portal 1 was a simple puzzle platformer. Basic story, got crazy, and then when they came back for the sequel they added more of everything. It still had the basic premise of puzzle platformer, but it was also a lot more complicated and had a lot more story built into it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    BL1 was a pretty well paced shooter. Balance was mostly alright, aside from the odd weapon that was way too powerful (stupid sexy Hellfire). But if you stumbled onto something slightly higher level, it never felt impossible.

I didn't really like the scaling at the end of BL2. Even stuff that was only a level higher than would straight up slaughter you. I know I started the game a few times, but I can't really remember beating it.

Number One Tricky
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    BL1 was a pretty well paced shooter. Balance was mostly alright, aside from the odd weapon that was way too powerful (stupid sexy Hellfire). But if you stumbled onto something slightly higher level, it never felt impossible.

I didn't really like the scaling at the end of BL2. Even stuff that was only a level higher than would straight up slaughter you. I know I started the game a few times, but I can't really remember beating it.

That was my issue with BL2. I loved #1 (mostly played co-op) and BL2 was fun but I didn't even finish it. It got brutally hard. BL3 was a lot of fun though (again, co-op). I like that the Legendary weapons are build-changing like Diablo instead of the lame Division kind.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I never finished BL2 because I had already played BL1, and as far as I was concerned, it was basically the exact same game. I get that other people really wanted to play it more, and part of my issue was likely the fact that I could only ever play solo, and played pretty much all of the BL1 expansion content, so it was just really repetitive by that point.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Also General Knoxx DLC is the best DLC I've ever played.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I could never finish Borderlands 2 because i felt like every level or two i had to grind out new guns just to keep up with the ever increasing enemy health and damage it got on my nerves honestly

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Guys. Guys. Guess what's winging its way to me as we speak. I scored an Animal Crossing edition Switch. For RRP. I shit you not.

This will be my first Switch, as well, so New Horizons indeed! (Sorry.) The dock looks very cute, and the joycon colours and the detailing on the back of the console are really tasteful. It's a gorgeous edition.

I've never actually played an Animal Crossing game. I haven't even seen one running in person since an hour or so with the Gamecube one when it first came out; my store of the time was having an extremely slow day, but not ideal conditions for checking it out, so this'll be interesting. (The UK/Euro console does include a download code for the game, something I understand the American one doesn't.) And my entire experience even playing on a Switch at all up to this point was about twenty minutes playing Mario Kart with a friend's kid a few months back*. Which, incidentally, is probably next on my shopping list for it.

* - probably well back into last year, now I think about it. Long before All This.

I blame people on my Facebook feed going on about turnip prices. This is all their fault...

Jazz on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Congrats! It's a nice Switch :biggrin:

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I adore the Borderlands series but I'll admit that you can't just go in to it with whatever guns you feel like and expect good results. It comes down to synergy between the powers you selected and the special abilities of the gear you're running. The right build has made me go from pathetic loser to easily making enemies die and explode around me. It's a TON of fun when you get it right, but you need to plan it out. Some powers and gear are simply trash.

Or you could just get good. ;)

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    I'm just happy to hear that I'm not alone with my opinion of BL2. I'm used to being the oddball with my opinions on games... But sometimes it gets old lol.

I think I had more fun in BL1. But BL2 had more meat to it, and a cooler cast of characters. But definitely the beginning of the end of the franchise by going down the comedy route.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I played BL1 for the first time last year and even ignoring the decade's worth of game development that happened between its original release and now, I came away pretty disappointed. I picked the turret class but that thing was more useful as a decoy than as an actual source of damage, the weapon upgrades dried up at the end so I spent probably the last 5 hours of the game with the same loadout, and the DLC wasn't all that much better than the main story (ignoring the arena one that I couldn't play since it had no solo content as far as I could tell).

Opty on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I think I had more fun in BL1. But BL2 had more meat to it, and a cooler cast of characters. But definitely the beginning of the end of the franchise by going down the comedy route.

They always were comedy games. The first game has a boss early on that really sets the tone with Nine-Toes, who also has "three balls". There are lots of other examples of this all through the first game. The main difference is that Borderlands 2 was just much better written in general.

Borderlands is not as off the wall as its sequels, but that's because Borderlands was an accident created out of a gritty realistic post-apocalyptic shooter. Borderlands 2 feels to me much more like what the developers ultimately wanted things to go towards. Especially with how the different manufacturers weapons were made much more distinct, which is one of the reasons I just can't play Borderlands (the original) anymore. Everything just feels like the same shit with slightly different stats, while there are build defining and very very different feeling weapons across the manufacturers in 2 and especially in 3 (which I'm currently playing).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Idk, first game had a kinda tongue in cheek, western/mad max vibe. The humor was there but was more understated, or took a backseat. And I love Anthony Burch, I just think BL2 is not a game that holds up upon multiple playthroughs and that's the kinda game it is, where you beat it on one character and then go try the next. I had way more fun with the melee characters in both games. I will say the skill trees in 2 were much better.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'll try grabbing it if it ever goes on sale and try it again.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Opty wrote: »
    I played BL1 for the first time last year and even ignoring the decade's worth of game development that happened between its original release and now, I came away pretty disappointed. I picked the turret class but that thing was more useful as a decoy than as an actual source of damage, the weapon upgrades dried up at the end so I spent probably the last 5 hours of the game with the same loadout, and the DLC wasn't all that much better than the main story (ignoring the arena one that I couldn't play since it had no solo content as far as I could tell).

Yeah unfortunately Roland isn't very useful solo. But is very helpful in co-op multiplayer.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    BL1 is two pieces of toasted white bread with nothing in between. 2 and up is when they finally decide to add some meat and stuff to actually make a dang sandwich. An act they really kind of needed to do, but at the same time I can respect people who don't like the particular fillings they chose.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Comedy is really a hit or miss thing, depending on your sense of humor. I think BL2 added a lot more personality to the series. Brick went from a generic meathead to big lovable goofball.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    I guess the other question is, can you choose to download just one of the three Borderlands at a time if you buy the legendary edition? Likely won't find out until release is my guess

camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2020
    Comedy is really a hit or miss thing, depending on your sense of humor. I think BL2 added a lot more personality to the series. Brick went from a generic meathead to big lovable goofball.

I actually think it was really funny, but unfortunately some types of jokes become less funny upon forced, unskippable dialogue playing in the background of missions. Like yes, Bonerfarts is legit hilarious, but only the first time, not so much the next 3-4 times.

I think Handsome Jack is just tiresome, which may be the point I guess

Local H Jay on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Borderlands, much like every other ARPG, is built on multiple playthroughs and boss runs, which makes the fact that every cutscene is unskippable just completely baffling