As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My sisters boyfriend shares quite a bit of this conspiracy stuff. One I saw the other day was that Gough Whitlam changed the constitution and therefore everything since then has been illegal.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I uh.
    Like, for what value of everything? (I'm gonna regret asking aren't i)

• THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I uh.
    Like, for what value of everything? (I'm gonna regret asking aren't i)

EVERYTHING

This was the thing he shared.

1g6m05szi2h4.jpeg

steam_sig.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Sovereign citizen stuff is heavily US influenced, but there's also the "freeman on the land" stuff which is similar but is more based on Commonwealth countries iirc?

Invoking maritime law in any way is usually a big sov citizen red flag.
    Anyway that's all enjoyably bonkers though sadly (and predictably) far-right leaning.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    see that's the exact kind of thing i want to see more of!

i mean, not really, because of the homophobia and so on. but i like "gough whitlam replaced the constitution with maritime law" a lot more than i like anything about hillary clinton

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The fact that it only specifically points out thoughtcrime, same sex marriage and racial discrimination tells you something about the people sharing it.

-Loki- wrote: »
    The fact that it only specifically points out thoughtcrime, same sex marriage and racial discrimination tells you something about the people sharing it.

yes, the only three pieces of legislation that have been passed in the last 40-odd years.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So, Canberra is feeling pretty back to normal with COVID restrictions easing.
    Seemed to be normal levels of shoppers in the shopping centre today, and last night either restaurants were flouting the 10 person rule, or they were getting hammered by people wanting to eat out and just standing out front of the store until they could.

It's somewhat scary, in a whole standing in a dry pine forest, expecting a match to light it up any time now, type of way.
    But we're still at zero cases detected per day, and NSW has been at a couple of tens or lower so...
    Hoping we can maintain geographical isolation.

• Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    So, Canberra is feeling pretty back to normal with COVID restrictions easing.
    Seemed to be normal levels of shoppers in the shopping centre today, and last night either restaurants were flouting the 10 person rule, or they were getting hammered by people wanting to eat out and just standing out front of the store until they could.

It's somewhat scary, in a whole standing in a dry pine forest, expecting a match to light it up any time now, type of way.
    But we're still at zero cases detected per day, and NSW has been at a couple of tens or lower so...
    Hoping we can maintain geographical isolation.

It's NSW that I'm worried about. Soon as restrictions raise from Sydney to Canberra travel, I'm sure we'll get some sort of ressurgence. I know this might be jinxing it, but I really doubt there are any home grown cases left or lurking community spread we haven't found out about. It's been nearly 2 weeks since the last case and it was nearly a week before that one - IIRC, the WHO guidelines for opening suggest 28 days or two full cycles of the virus with no cases.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    Get ready for some very bleak statistics to start appearing in the coming week. A bunch of kids have spent the past two months trapped in hell with no chance of getting help. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/18/new-zealand-braces-for-spike-in-child-abuse-reports-as-covid-19-lockdown-eases
    During lockdown reports of family violence to police dropped, and reports of concern to Oranga Tamariki, the country’s welfare agency for children, fell by around 40%.

New Zealand has one of the highest rates of child abuse and neglect in the OECD, and on average one infant is murdered every five weeks.

Oranga Tamariki’s chief executive, Gráinne Moss, told the Guardian that reports of harm always drop over the school holidays, because the “eyes and ears” that usually identify harm – education, social and health workers – aren’t around.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Depressing, but predictable.

On a happier note the goverment is mooting adding more public holidays. I'm seeing some buzz and push towards Matariki (Maori new year) being reocngized, which i'm fully onboard with. (Frankly, it shoulda been already).

Also move fireworks (if fireworks are still a thing that needs to happen, which i'm not sure they are...) to Matariki. Damn sight better than November both temp-wise (Less fire risks), and culturally (Why do we give a shit about Guy Fawkes, other than a catchy rhyme?)

So here's hoping.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Hopefully they have the Matariki public holiday when Matariki is actually in the sky. There's a little bit of confusion caused by trying to fit the Māori calendar into the Gregorian calendar and some people have been celebrating it on a fixed date, which doesn't mesh well with the star year. And there's different traditions of when you would celebrate, so having an official public holiday will end up supporting one tradition over the others. But... that's Easter. So it's not like these problems are new.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    and if we can still manage to have Eid celebrations, when things move for Eid all the time as well, we can do that.

Having a national holiday for Matariki would be amazing.

I'm seeing that there's somebody challenging Bridges for leadership. Seems like a good move on the part of the Party, better to do it now when there's still time before election. But not a good sign that they can't even stick behind him until the election.

looks like this are going to be interesting.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    and if we can still manage to have Eid celebrations, when things move for Eid all the time as well, we can do that.

Having a national holiday for Matariki would be amazing.

I'm seeing that there's somebody challenging Bridges for leadership. Seems like a good move on the part of the Party, better to do it now when there's still time before election. But not a good sign that they can't even stick behind him until the election.

looks like this are going to be interesting.

Not sure on the Bridges challenge - even if he wins, the general consensus would seem to be that he's not worth having. However, I'd guess it's being spurred on by the number of national MPs looking at losing their seats. I mean, I don't really have a dog in the fight - there is more or less nothing that would cause me to vote national, on their current platform, and it would be a pretty cataclysmic change for them to do anything to win my vote.

n57PM0C.jpg
    edited May 2020
    I don't get why we're testing hydrochloriquine on our medical staff.
    Like, I guess they volunteered, but it's still daft

discrider on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I gotta admit, i wish this more of a legal push to make 4 day the max, but i suspect NZ First and others would have an apoloxey.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/20/jacinda-ardern-flags-four-day-working-week-as-way-to-rebuild-new-zealand-after-covid-19

Still! That we've even got a politician suggesting it is pretty great. Let alone the prime minister.

Though really, if i wanted to give NZ First, National etc an Apoloxey, i'd want to see my version of what full time should be pushed through - 6 hour max days, max of 4 days in a week worked, and no more than 4 days in a row. With all of that paying what current full time does. (Just imagine the hand wringing trying to justify why the human suffering was good! Also the "Why do you hate businesses!" )

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    There are some words and concepts being used in quite unorthodox ways in that article, I think.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that the guy in that article who successfully transitioned his business to a 4-day work week - that change has been covered elsewhere, and it wasn't the smoothest transition, although it's working now. But when it first went into effect the staff were given the oportunity to make the change, provided they still met the same level of service, but at first everyone just took Friday (or Monday) off and customer needs/orders weren't being met for a three-day period if they came in on a Friday, so he had to go back to staff and get them to make sure they still maintained the same level of service on Fridays the same as any other day. So they are working 4-day weeks, but they are evenly staffed 5 days a week, and which day people get off changes, so people don't always have a 3 day weekend. It's still good, but a lot of people hear '4-day work week' and automatically think '3-day weekend', but the two are not the same thing.

It's still an interesting case study that has a lot to offer, but I think there's a lot of provisos around their experience which doesn't make it a universal solution.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular

Scotty loves Trump and desperately wants to impress master?

Fishman wrote: »
    It's worth noting that the guy in that article who successfully transitioned his business to a 4-day work week - that change has been covered elsewhere, and it wasn't the smoothest transition, although it's working now. But when it first went into effect the staff were given the oportunity to make the change, provided they still met the same level of service, but at first everyone just took Friday (or Monday) off and customer needs/orders weren't being met for a three-day period if they came in on a Friday, so he had to go back to staff and get them to make sure they still maintained the same level of service on Fridays the same as any other day. So they are working 4-day weeks, but they are evenly staffed 5 days a week, and which day people get off changes, so people don't always have a 3 day weekend. It's still good, but a lot of people hear '4-day work week' and automatically think '3-day weekend', but the two are not the same thing.

It's still an interesting case study that has a lot to offer, but I think there's a lot of provisos around their experience which doesn't make it a universal solution.

totally agree, but just personally I would love a rotating day 'off' during the work week to get all the chores and household bullshit out of the way that suck up my weekend otherwise. Don't care when, really.

I find 3 day weekends good for travel but if I'm home there's not much use to them over 2 day + a midweek day.

-SPI- wrote: »

Scotty loves Trump and desperately wants to impress master?

Looks like it's coming out of Uni of Melbourne on a COVID-19 research grant, and also includes NZ test subjects.

Government sets up COVID recovery task-force

Government appoints board member of Gas Company as task-force chairperson

Task-force releases report

Report recommends massive taxpayer underwriting of Gas industry

e61whttbi8c5.jpg

I'm shocked, this is my shocked face

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

The Volvo workshop I used to work at had a week shift and a weekend shift. Everybody worked Friday, every body worked four days in a row, everybody worked from 8 til 5. And we'd get so much shit done on a good Friday, too. Two mechanics on every vehicle meant we churned them out at a phenomenal rate, so the company still made money on booked time despite paying two wages.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I've been on a 4 day work week since I got back from maternity, so like, 3 years now?

It's honestly the best. I get my work done in 4 days (mondays are a bit stressful at times but whatever i get the work done by Thursday).

I have the kid in daycare on Friday and I have the day to do my household chores and do my knitting and just recenter my brain.

I'd love to see other people have this same balance.

Well I never thought I’d see Pauline Hanson taking the government to court to get borders opened.

steam_sig.png
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Well I never thought I’d see Pauline Hanson taking the government to court to get borders opened.

Irony is dead. 2020 has killed it.

n57PM0C.jpg
    I thought satire died when Henry Kissinger was awarded a Nobel Peace prize, but that's about just as bad.

Get ready for the media in this country to spin the $60b miscalculation by the government as:

"Yay! We got more money! This is like getting an extra party pie in the box!"

Instead of it being a stunning example of spectacular incompetence.

Nah, that's not incompetence. They were preparing for the worst and didn't need it - I'd rather that than the opposite.

Tell that to the vast swathes of the economy that they left to starve because they couldn't afford it.

Yeah.. it's neither.
    Sounds like it's bureaucracy.
    The ABC just said that the ATO put it down to a reporting error where businesses said they were putting 1500 employees each on Jobkeeper, but actually wanted to only put 1 employee on Jobkeeper, and so the original estimate based on that was false.

Which is either the businesses attempting to get as much as possible and not being verified until now, or businesses getting it wrong because of poor communication.

I read one of the articles and it was saying that people filled out forms wrong. One example was companies were filling out forms to apply and they had to put how many people they expected needed job keeper. One place misread it or misunderstood it or something and wrote 1500 (for the amount) instead of 1 (for the number of people). As much as I dislike the government I don’t think that one is their fault, unless the forms are very unclear.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2020
    The spin is terrible though.
    On both sides.
    They should be giving the money to people who need it, rather than touting savings.
    And the opposition should be saying that, rather than going 'lol government sucks; who's to blame?!'

discrider on
    Listening to Albanese's response again, he does say that the money should have been used to help more people, as the government said the program was oversubscribed and half those people have since disappeared into a black hole.
    But it's rather drowned out by 'mistake visible from the moon' and 'we can never trust the treasurer anymore'

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yeah.. it's neither.
    Sounds like it's bureaucracy.
    The ABC just said that the ATO put it down to a reporting error where businesses said they were putting 1500 employees each on Jobkeeper, but actually wanted to only put 1 employee on Jobkeeper, and so the original estimate based on that was false.

Which is either the businesses attempting to get as much as possible and not being verified until now, or businesses getting it wrong because of poor communication.

As a business owner, I can confirm the system was a god damned nightmare, confusing and was subject to change multiple times. Requirements and advice sometimes changed every week or so. Due dates were altered, then changed back and then modified again.

It was a fucking nightmare, but once it works it does in fact work.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Yeah the dates and stuff changing wasn't fun, but we got there.

In terms of the fuck ups and changes and other bollocks from this government, this barely rates.

This discussion has been closed.