As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Darkness

XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
Or I should say almost to the party. Well I got the game for my 360 this christmas and it's still in it's wrappings. The reason? Well, I don't know if it is good enough for me to play and not gouge out my eyes, or maybe I should try to return it to save myself the pain. So, I would like your guys' thoughts on the game. If I do pick up the game I will write here about what I think of it.

Xtarath on

• corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Or I should say almost to the party. Well I got the game for my 360 this christmas and it's still in it's wrappings. The reason? Well, I don't know if it is good enough for me to play and not gouge out my eyes, or maybe I should try to return it to save myself the pain. So, I would like your guys' thoughts on the game. If I do pick up the game I will write here about what I think of it.

It was my goty for 2007 and easily in my top 5 of all time. Play the shit out of it. Everytime I talk to someone who hasn't played it I am jealous because you have so many awesome moments ahead of you that are just going to blow you away.

corin7 on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You're going to get a lot of divided opinion, which will show you that it's down to what you like. I personally thought the combat was fairly good, but not the best I've ever played. Visually it was cool, but not the best-looking game. However, the story and voice-acting was excellent. I mean, really, really top-notch. There was one moment (don't read spoilers, just don't read them at all) that had me physically stunned. That really doesn't happen often.

Another thing, I expected to hate Jackie, the character you play. I thought he was going to be some leather trenchcoat-wearing whiny emokid who complained about life all the time. Turned out, he was actually really cool and I got to the end and only wanted more.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How about the multiplayer part of the game? I probably won't play it that much but it still would be nice to know about it.

Xtarath on
    edited January 2008
    How about the multiplayer part of the game? I probably won't play it that much but it still would be nice to know about it.

Never tried it, but it reportedly sucks. Sounded like it's one of those games where it was included just so people couldn't bitch that "it's got no multiplayer, MINUS POINTS!", but they could've just better spend their time on the singleplayer instead.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I kinda liked the game, I kinda didn't...
    It looks amazing and has some really great ideas in there, but It didn't feel very polished or something like that, can't really put my finger on it. I think the most obviously let down for me was the action (shooting) it didn't feel right, you know when you pick up some shooters and fire a gun it just feels like "fuck yeah", this didn't happen to me.

But as I said, there are some awesome features, so i wouldn't avoid playing it altogether, I'd give it a go and see!

Snare on
    edited January 2008
    I might as well take a chance. I'll come back in a little bit to tell tales of my adevntures!

Xtarath on
    edited January 2008
    Snare wrote: »
    I kinda liked the game, I kinda didn't...
    It looks amazing and has some really great ideas in there, but It didn't feel very polished or something like that, can't really put my finger on it. I think the most obviously let down for me was the action (shooting) it didn't feel right, you know when you pick up some shooters and fire a gun it just feels like "fuck yeah", this didn't happen to me.

But as I said, there are some awesome features, so i wouldn't avoid playing it altogether, I'd give it a go and see!

Yeah but really how much shooting do you do? I think a lot of people got turned off by the demo because the shooting wasn't all that tight. But by the end of the game when you are picking up cars and tossing them into people and dropping black holes behind them and then getting in close for the execution.... well the guns just don't really matter anymore.

Multiplayer was crap. More so because the net code is just complete shit and it lagged terribly.

corin7 on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008

Heavy on plot, less so on gameplay. Online completely sucks. Not that it's a bad gametype, as it reminded me alot of Aliens Versus Predator, but the netcode is complete trash. Which is funny, because for the majority of it's existence, the netcode for AVP sucked too.

Lots of great story elements, and you can sit and watch a movie with your chick and get an achievement for it.

I just lost the will to play when...
    You go to hell and fight nazi zombies. I know they aren't nazis, but they're definitely designed to be creepy demonic german guys.
    Yeah but really how much shooting do you do? I think a lot of people got turned off by the demo because the shooting wasn't all that tight. But by the end of the game when you are picking up cars and tossing them into people and dropping black holes behind them and then getting in close for the execution.... well the guns just don't really matter anymore.

Yeah, you'll have way more fun with the powers and executions than you will just shooting at people. Game really isn't designed as an twitchy FPS.

EDIT

I interviewed Mike Patton around the games release, if anyone's interested.

Sheep on
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    You're going to get a lot of divided opinion, which will show you that it's down to what you like. I personally thought the combat was fairly good, but not the best I've ever played. Visually it was cool, but not the best-looking game. However, the story and voice-acting was excellent. I mean, really, really top-notch. There was one moment (don't read spoilers, just don't read them at all) that had me physically stunned. That really doesn't happen often.

Another thing, I expected to hate Jackie, the character you play. I thought he was going to be some leather trenchcoat-wearing whiny emokid who complained about life all the time. Turned out, he was actually really cool and I got to the end and only wanted more.

Everything in this post, second'd. Play it and don't read any spoilers.

Noray on
  • RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've been meaning to get at this game for a while now, but there were just way too many 360 coming out in the last little while. I've seen it around for 39.99 but I'll probably wait until it drops another 10 before I pick it up.

It's nice to read that the game has a good story though. I too was worried that the main character was going to be some angsty goth dude. Good to hear that's not the case.

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
    edited January 2008
    Rookie wrote: »
    I've been meaning to get at this game for a while now, but there were just way too many 360 coming out in the last little while. I've seen it around for 39.99 but I'll probably wait until it drops another 10 before I pick it up.

It's nice to read that the game has a good story though. I too was worried that the main character was going to be some angsty goth dude. Good to hear that's not the case.

That's what I feared too, but they do a really good job of making him likeable. The loading screens are basically him delivering some kind of story. It's all motion-captured from the actor himself delivering the lines, and works really well.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited January 2008
    I'm not too far into the game, but from what I've played it is actually a very good game. I'm just at the part after you get the first taste of darkness powers. I do like the humor though, from the crazy beserkers to that hobo living in the bathroom it brings a smile to my face. Also I enjoy eating the hearts of my foes.

Xtarath on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The darkness is amazing. Open it and enjoy!

urahonky on
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It may not have the best gameplay ever but there is some really impressive moments in the game and I mean really impressive. For that I loved the game.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

A lot of people will disagree but I thought darkness was boring and derivative shit. I couldn't wait for it to be done.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got it from Gamefly during that sale for like $12. Rented it before that and it really surprised me.

This is a total sleeper hit IMO.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited January 2008

A lot of people will disagree but I thought darkness was boring and derivative shit. I couldn't wait for it to be done.

You have no soul or you didn't make it very far into the game.

corin7 on
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really enjoyed The Darkness, and really my only major complaint is that there just isn't that much game there. I mean, you beat it on medium and hard mode, and then what? As awesome as it is, I don't think the single-player campaign really offers as much replay-ability as say, Bioshock. And don't even get me started on that abomination it calls a multi-player mode.

All that aside, it was definitely fun to play and I'm glad I bought it, and can't wait for a sequel.
    If only to find out what the fuck happens

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got it for 12 quid.

Sandwich Money.

It's very good i played the shit out of it.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    corin7 wrote: »

You have no soul or you didn't make it very far into the game.

No, sir, I finished the game. As a matter of fact I posted about it in the "What games did you force yourself to finish?" thread :)

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Maybe they explain it later in the game, but the fact that you wander out of the construction site, spontaneously sprout deamon apendages and can sunmmon little hell spawns, and your character doesn't bat an eye, just infuriated me to no end.

It wasn't even as cool as a *"Surprise, Your a deamon"* type of thing. It's just like he started using abilities he'd had forever and were everyday skills for all people. That and you feel like the controler isn't quite connected to the game system. Just not a fun FPS.

Strikerkc on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's a fun game, but the worst part about the game that no one ever talks about is moving to different areas. It's essentially open world most of the time and you can go where you want, but once you clear out an area, it's empty the rest of the game, so if you have to walk through it, tedious as shit. I would just shoot out lights while I was walking because there was nothing else to do.

But the actual gameplay? Gold.

YodaTuna on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just may have to give this a rent.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've had this for awhile, finally decided to crack it open yesterday. So far it's not doing a whole lot for me. Just got to Jenny's apartment, so I know I'm still early on, and I know a lot of people whose opinions I trust really loved it, so I'm gonna tough it out, but it's not calling to me like some other games did.

capnrico on
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you haven't played The Darkness, you need to. It's one of those games that actually made my girlfriend leave the room at certain times because it's honestly a little too much at some points. I loved every minute of it and I'm going to be doing a second run through on hard after I play through some more of my games.

KimFidler on
  • sheppysheppy Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    The Darkness powers themselves were great fun, and soon become second nature. Don't let the shitty gunplay put you off, there is a good game to be found in there.

sheppy on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2008
    I played it recently and really liked it. Don't read any reviews, because they're mostly stupid and spoil a lot of stuff. One of the IGN reviews for instance spoils the fact that
    a main character dies, and the presence of "a hell based on fighting nazis in World War 2." World War 1, idiots. Look at the helmets.

Tube on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    I have a huge boner for the Riddick game by the same developer for the oXbox, and a "new" Riddick game is coming for the 360 - the old game polished to 360 levels of quality, and an extra 60% new content on top of that. Can't wait for it.

Echo on
    edited January 2008
    Really? That'll be cool, because I missed Riddick first time round. I would really like a sequel to The Darkness. The ending was cool and original but I didn't really like it. Especially because they broke the golden rule by
    having you spend the last ten minutes watching the darkness do awesome shit that you can't do

I hope they tighten up the arm controls to let you do more stuff with it too.

Tube on
    edited January 2008
    A Darkness sequel would be sweet. I would actually like to see what starbreeze can do with a new IP of their own making rather than a licensed one they are contracted to make.

corin7 on
  • Sappy113Sappy113 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Darkness is actually a really cool game. It's not the best game of the year or anything close to it, but it has a lot of good things going for it. Good background story, decent action, fun powers, mindblowing voice acting from Mike Patton and some awesome points throughout the game, that, as another poster said, will leave you openmouthed thinking "wow, I NEVER thought they'd let it get to that". But it does. And it makes for a better game.

Definately a game I'd recommend for anyone to try out. Unless some 10 year old snotnosed kid comes walking into my store, wanting to buy it. He'll have to find some other game :P

Sappy113 on
    People are bastardcoated bastards with bastard filling
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    having you spend the last ten minutes watching the darkness do awesome shit that you can't do

Regarding this:
    I was under the impression that by that point, The Darkness was getting far to strong to control and the more people you killed, the stronger you made it and the less control you had over it.

I thought the game was incredibly fun, but the gunplay was a bit sluggish, and some slowdown was present during the fighting (It wasnt that bad though, and I only played the PS3 version so maybe that was my problem). Great story, dont spoil it for yourself.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    edited January 2008

Regarding this:
    I was under the impression that by that point, The Darkness was getting far to strong to control and the more people you killed, the stronger you made it and the less control you had over it.

You're absolutely right, and I understand that, but it's still not how to end a game. It's the videogame equivalent of "show, don't tell"

Tube on
    edited January 2008

Regarding this:

You're absolutely right, and I understand that, but it's still not how to end a game. It's the videogame equivalent of "show, don't tell"

Eh I was both annoyed at that part and enjoyed it. But it ended similiar to how it began. So it was consistant. Made it very cinematic but a little more control would have been nice.

corin7 on