As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cloud (Online, whatever you call it) Backup Services

tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
We had a recent hard drive scare so I need to buckle down and actually start being diligent about backups. What online services do people use and like? We have a few machines that we would need to back up. Thanks!

steam_sig.png

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Do you really want a "backup service", or just cloud storage? Are they all Windows machines or are there Mac's in the mix?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    We had a recent hard drive scare so I need to buckle down and actually start being diligent about backups. What online services do people use and like? We have a few machines that we would need to back up. Thanks!

How many machines?

Workstations and servers, or just servers?

If servers, are they virtualized?

How much data total?

All in a single location, or distributed?

How fast is the upload speed for the Internet connection in each location?

Any special regulatory requirements (HIPAA, PCI, etc)?

(I may or may not have a suggestion for you, but nobody can make any good recommendations without knowing the answers to these questions.)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    3 machines, this is just for home use. Is there a benefit to going with something that's "backup" rather than just using OneDrive or Google Drive or whatever?

steam_sig.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Not really. If you work on your computers, something like BackBlaze or Carbonite is really nice because in event of a failure you can reinstall Windows and your backup will get you up and running automatically. But if you're just looking to store pictures and documents, OneDrive or Google drive is fine. If you pay for Office you get 1TB of cloud storage.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    only caveat I would make to the OneDrive/Google Drive thing is that make sure it is not the only place you store the data. Cloud storage is not a backup if it is the only place the data lives. If you ever for some reason lost access to the account that data would be gone.

Use OneDrive, I do. but I also have copies elsewhere.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    only caveat I would make to the OneDrive/Google Drive thing is that make sure it is not the only place you store the data. Cloud storage is not a backup if it is the only place the data lives. If you ever for some reason lost access to the account that data would be gone.

Hmm, that's a good point. I am thinking of using OneDrive to mirror some folders on our machines, but I'll have to look into whether OneDrive keeps past versions (in case of corruption or deletion from the source).

steam_sig.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I haven’t tested personally but OneDrive does have version history, with a couple limits. History is limited to 30 days, and can only be restored through the OneDrive website.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I use a local NAS for backup and then back blaze for the remote storage. Costs me about 22 bucks a month but it's given me a lot of peace of mind.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Yep. A local hard drive in case the cloud storage account is lost. Cloud storage in case the house burns down.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    If you got some cash, setup a S3 bucket and a ec2 instanced you can invoke with files you want to back up.