As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I’m honestly fine without a one city civ like venice, they messed up the map distribution even more than kupe does.

One city challenge is conceptually incompatible with the heavy emphasis on natural terrain in Civ 6's design.

Which is fine, because there's plenty of other ways to design asymmetrical civs. There are many in the game already! We have a civ who can't build a particular district and a civ who can't declare surprise wars, for example. I'm not sure why @OmnomnomPancake is acting like there aren't any.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I’m honestly fine without a one city civ like venice, they messed up the map distribution even more than kupe does.

One city challenge is conceptually incompatible with the heavy emphasis on natural terrain in Civ 6's design.

Which is fine, because there's plenty of other ways to design asymmetrical civs. There are many in the game already! We have a civ who can't build a particular district and a civ who can't declare surprise wars, for example. I'm not sure why OmnomnomPancake is acting like there aren't any.

Considering I don't declare surprise wars or build theatre districts with basically any civ, they don't feel much different! Not to mention that's like, so much drastically less impactful than the sort of restriction Venice was. You'd need something wild like "can't build districts" to match that.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Gran Columbia seems like a super powerful militaristic civ since most of their military abilities are like all game. +1 move and promotions not wasting a turn are amazing. Their unique general units also seem like among the best unique units in the game, even if the number you can get seems pretty limited.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Don't you dare

Which is fine, because there's plenty of other ways to design asymmetrical civs. There are many in the game already! We have a civ who can't build a particular district and a civ who can't declare surprise wars, for example. I'm not sure why @OmnomnomPancake is acting like there aren't any.

I was looking for quote 'absurd shit'. The shift from traditional Civ mechanics in Civ 5 to how Venice functioned falls under absurd for me. It celebrated playing Very Tall, and shifted the fundamental way you played. There is no comparison in Civ 6 with a Civ that so completely overrides the traditional state of the game. You go from city-expanding empires to a Venice, a singular city state, focused on absurdly powerful maritime trade, who slowly can convert city-states to their empire as the game proceeds.

Canada not being able to declare or be declared by a surprise war isn't even close to pinging my absurd shit metre. A Civ can't build a particular district? No, that isn't enough.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Abbalah wrote: »
    +1 movement for everybody by itself is game breaking from the first turn.

Yeah, I think people who are unimpressed with the civ are wildly undervaluing how powerful this part is.

Consider how game-definingly strong abilities like Persia's and Hungary's are when they give +2 movement to just a specific subset of units under particular conditions.

A civ that got to start the game with a permanent +1 movement to all units, military and civilian, but had no other unique bonuses at all would be an above-average one. Getting that plus a bunch of other legitimately good bonuses is likely to make Gran Columbia a top-tier civ regardless of the fact that the best stuff comes online a little late.

Oh they are definitely top tier(probably S or A), I just don’t know that they are at God Tier needs a nerf status or anything.

They are probably going to be most good at domination and science victories. However, there are still civs that can do those two things as well or better. They can’t just flat out erase people in the ancient era and get a bunch of extra territory like gilgamesh or montezuma, they don’t have an overwhelming science boost like korea. They don’t get a crapload of free yields like kupe. They do get a huge general advantage that lets them do everything a bit better and faster than a vanilla civ, as well as some military and production bonuses.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Thread title needs a pun about Gran Colombia.

"Civ 6-Its a Gran Ole Time"?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Thread title needs a pun about Gran Colombia.

"Civ 6-Its a Gran Ole Time"?

Ehhhhhhh, I'll stick with a title that conveys a bit more info, in case folks forgot they have this game and would like to know that new content is coming up.

Don't you dare

I was looking for quote 'absurd shit'. The shift from traditional Civ mechanics in Civ 5 to how Venice functioned falls under absurd for me. It celebrated playing Very Tall, and shifted the fundamental way you played. There is no comparison in Civ 6 with a Civ that so completely overrides the traditional state of the game. You go from city-expanding empires to a Venice, a singular city state, focused on absurdly powerful maritime trade, who slowly can convert city-states to their empire as the game proceeds.

Canada not being able to declare or be declared by a surprise war isn't even close to pinging my absurd shit metre. A Civ can't build a particular district? No, that isn't enough.

I feel like Kupe fits this. Starts in the middle of the ocean? Free ocean movement and embark and sea bonuses to make islands viable? Improvements and chopping not needed and actually bad on a lot of terrain?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Mali too. Build nothing, buy everything is a hell of a gimmick.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Don't you dare

I feel like Kupe fits this. Starts in the middle of the ocean? Free ocean movement and embark and sea bonuses to make islands viable? Improvements and chopping not needed and actually bad on a lot of terrain?

Yeah, I didn't mention the Maori and Mali because they had already been brought up, but they are also asymmetric civ designs. So are the Mayans, when you get right down to it.

Oh, before I forget, people are saying that The Epic Games Store is going to be giving vanilla Civ 6 away for free next week. Just FYI.

Ed Beach said on Twitter it goes live at midnight eastern (12 minutes from now).

Important Maya note: they don't care about fresh water for cities, but you do want to put cities somewhere you can build an aqueduct. They're always the +4 housing version. I managed to make 8 cities in the bonus zone, with my capital being almost on a coast. Observatory is merely alright. They're obviously super housing capped early, so you need to get some farms down or get pottery fast or something. Otherwise you're not growing. But once you get farms down you grow pretty fast and have a lot of money to play with. They're interesting. Don't strike me as imbalanced, but they play a little different than any other civ, which is good.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Has anyone got a better discount than the 14% off at green man?

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Based on the new City States added to the game, we can safely rule out Puerto Rico, Pakistan, and New Zealand as new civs.

So it looks like there is a disaster now (comet strike) that is basically a planet buster from alpha centauri. Like it blows up some land and leaves a big lake.

Excited to play with soothsayers a bit later(stupid work). It looks like apocalypse mode both gives global warming some teeth (like if you get to max global warming the planet will go into literal kill all humans mode) and gives religion a bit more practical impact (one of the big deals with trying a religious victory in “vanilla” GS is that unlike a domination victory which has similar mechanics religion doesn’t really hinder your opponents that much until you actually win).

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Based on the new City States added to the game, we can safely rule out Puerto Rico, Pakistan, and New Zealand as new civs.

Wasn't Auckland already in?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

Wasn't Auckland already in?

Ha! You're right. When I was looking up the new new city states, I misspelled Taruga, and it got autocorrected into Tauranga. So it's actually The Nok who won't be appearing as a civ any time soon.

edited May 2020
    It would be a little weird to have New Zealand and the Maori in at the same time anyway. I mean I know we have canada, the US, and the Cree which overlap them, and England under Victoria and Scotland and Canada as seperate civs (even though she technically ruled both of them as well), but still...

Jealous Deva on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    It's a shame they've not done an aboriginal civ, though that would be a complex undertaking. Still, they seemed to do a good job with the Maori Muslim

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The following is a Public Service Announcement:
    CIVILIZATION 6 IS CURRENTLY FREE TO OWN FOREVER IN THE EPIC GAMES STORE

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Would anyone be down for some multiplayer this weekend? I'll get stomped easily but want to try it.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Yeah aboriginal australian would be really interesting civ

No writing like the Maori but probably good culture or religion to represent the dream time myths

Would anyone be down for some multiplayer this weekend? I'll get stomped easily but want to try it.

Possibly. If in the afternoon(s).

edited May 2020
    Won a pretty straight forward diplomatic victory as Maya. Had apocalypse mode on which triggers a billion disaster relief competitions and easy diplomatic victory points.

Started as Gran Colombia and yeah, they're absurd. You snowball just a little faster and once the game enters classical era and you get your free great general you can just wreck the nearest AIs because your infantry have four movement (5 when you get them to level three) and your cavalry six. Nubia was my closest neighbor and even with their ridiculous unique unit I just ran right over them without breaking a sweat. Before I even got Iron Working. Cree have the best land, but Alexander is closer. Hm.

enlightenedbum on
    Is there any visual indication your city is in the bonus range for Maya?

Failing that, how exactly do radii work? I'd been assuming six tiles including the destination, but excluding the origin point.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I believe there's a new lens. I saw something about it on Civ Fanatics but haven't checked.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Moving and shooting with archers as Gran Colombia feels very dirty.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Siege weapons too.

edited May 2020
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2087182326&searchtext=

Holy crap I didn’t realize this was a thing... More please. He even has his voicework from civ 5. Hopefully that won’t be any kind of problem legally (I assume firaxis doesn’t care about old game assets that much because a firaxis employee posted a bunch of converted terrain art, but historically voices can be a sticky issue.)

Anyway, played a bit last night.

I think apocalypse mode just isn’t my thing, probably won’t play again once I summon a few comets and watch the world blow up... Its not bad if you like chaos, just felt like more of a gimmick than something I will play with all the time.

Digging the new civs. Maya is a tall science civ, I had huge cities with her. You can get some nice +3-5 science districts if you get lucky with plantations. A bit more map dependent than korea for obvious reasons, but she should be a good science contender.

Colombia is probably my new favorite dom civ. Fun to play and pretty much what everyone thought it would be...

Jealous Deva on
    Bolivar is so stupid. Great Generals and Comandate Generals stack. So if you have both everybody near them gets +10 strength and +2 movement. I crushed four AIs by turn 130 without trying too hard. Need to find the other three.

Now that is something I could see getting a nerf.

On the devstream they did yesterday, they said it was an intended feature. According to Carl the QA Tester, they believe it's balanced since other civs can get similar combat strength bonuses. He mentioned Mongolia as an example of a civ that can get much higher combat strength bonuses if played optimally.

Speaking of that devstream, here it is if anyone wants to watch it. First part is Maya gameplay and shows off the Soothsayer, the new scored competition, the new unique unit you can get from a city state, forest fires, and that lost city natural wonder. Second part is Gran Columbia and shows off the Bermuda Triangle. Third part is Earth being relentlessly pelted with space bullets.

edited May 2020
    And I won 38 turns later. Large map, domination win, turn 168. I don't think I played optimally at all, either. (This was on my standard new features exploration King difficulty)

enlightenedbum on

On the devstream they did yesterday, they said it was an intended feature. According to Carl the QA Tester, they believe it's balanced since other civs can get similar combat strength bonuses. He mentioned Mongolia as an example of a civ that can get much higher combat strength bonuses if played optimally.

Speaking of that devstream, here it is if anyone wants to watch it. First part is Maya gameplay and shows off the Soothsayer, the new scored competition, the new unique unit you can get from a city state, forest fires, and that lost city natural wonder. Second part is Gran Columbia and shows off the Bermuda Triangle. Third part is Earth being relentlessly pelted with space bullets.

I guess we will see, there is already a lot of really powerful stuff other civs can do, so we will see how things in multiplayer and at diety level play out when some of the better players get a chance to mess around with it.

I had the city state unit last game, it is actually pretty nice... It levels up with tech so it pretty-much auto-upgrades.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure at this point that Gran Columbia is the absolute most powerful multiplayer civ in the game assuming they don't get taken out by one of the classical era war juggernauts.

By then they have a guaranteed general and the extra maneuverability makes them a pain in the ass tactically.

Aztecs and sumerians can outright murder them in ancient if they start nearby... Nubia and Scythia should be able to stomp them in classical by dumping out way more fast/high range units. Maybe alex and persia can keep up and smash them in classical too.

But that is assuming one of those civs start right next to them, which is a big assumption.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I hate how a successful counterspy operation automatically sticks the spy into the city center instead of leaving them where you had them defending, because it leaves that district vulnerable to multiple spies

“Your spy successfully prevented (bad thing) and is eligible for a promotion!”

Next turn: enemy spy success at doing ( bad thing) because your spy wasn’t there to stop them

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I picked up all the DLC/Expansion packs for this recnetly through sales, and the new forntier pass. It's a lot to learn, but i'm having a blast.

In my current game i keep wondering where the sixth civ is, forgetting that they were the Zulus.

Who i wiped out shortly into the classic era with two swordsmen and a Comandante general General. Whoops! Shouldn't have been posturing aggressively near Gran Coloumbia, ya dickweasels.

Still got that urge to restart games all the time and try and do better/more - stuff like adjacency are hard to remember, but i'll get it all in my head eventually

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Gran Columbia are stupid.

+1 movement for every unit in the game straight off? By gods, everything else is just adding to the overpoweredness for no good reason at that point.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.