As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scorpions and Shujenga: Tabletop Games Folded 1000 Times

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I haven’t looked too closely at the rules, but I think the Monster of the Week supplement has some rules for strange phenomena instead of an actual monster.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Lancer isn't very rules heavy but it feels imposing because there's literally 200 pages of mech choices and they aren't laid out in easy to digest "I know what a paladin is" ways but a fluid set of choices you can fiddle with to your hearts content.

It is however super prep heavy with it's desire for maps and interesting tactics and opponents. Which is mostly why my group bounced the heck off of it because if we wanted to war game we'd just play a war game.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    I haven’t looked too closely at the rules, but I think the Monster of the Week supplement has some rules for strange phenomena instead of an actual monster.

It does. Definitely better for an x-files type of setting, compared to Supernatural. You can excise magic completely if you like, though you'll have to toss a few playbooks out.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The layout on some of the rules pages for Lancer is actually pretty bad. Tiny icons and lots of em. Tons of little bitty print side bars.

It all ends up being kinda hard to parse.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    This might be better for the 40k thread, but I'm curious if there's a "rules light" version of 40k out there? I have a dark angels army that I have absolutely nothing to do with, and I was thinking it might be fun to set up some scenarios for my kids. Kind of a co-op, them vs me situation where I'm basically just "the bad guys". Like a light RPG that's pretty much just a little bit of story between skirmishes.

Denada wrote: »
    This might be better for the 40k thread, but I'm curious if there's a "rules light" version of 40k out there? I have a dark angels army that I have absolutely nothing to do with, and I was thinking it might be fun to set up some scenarios for my kids. Kind of a co-op, them vs me situation where I'm basically just "the bad guys". Like a light RPG that's pretty much just a little bit of story between skirmishes.

Kill team?

I haven't played it myself but I believe it's a more skirmish sized version of 40k

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    here are the things I think you need to prep for a lancer game:

91P%2B87zhnKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71uYwxHYDjL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

5d7.png

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

What you want, my friend, is Space Hulk.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hey, do any of you want to post some game design stuff you’re doing at the mo’, or even just bounce around ideas?

I’ve got a thread for that:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/205788/search-your-deck-and-draw-game-design-into-your-hand#latest

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    "low odor"?

Friend, if I'm using whiteboard markers, I WANT all those volatile alcohols boiling off, lemme get faded on sniffing marker pens.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lancer isn't very rules heavy but it feels imposing because there's literally 200 pages of mech choices and they aren't laid out in easy to digest "I know what a paladin is" ways but a fluid set of choices you can fiddle with to your hearts content.

It is however super prep heavy with it's desire for maps and interesting tactics and opponents. Which is mostly why my group bounced the heck off of it because if we wanted to war game we'd just play a war game.

Yeah I really like Lancer, but that's with the caveat that it's definitely invested in tactical combat and heavy combat customization.

If I'm gonna be rolling lots of dice for mech combat I could just play Battletech and have more hilarious arm explosions and other gaffes that produce more story than D&D styled hit point fights with video game effects.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Kill team?

I haven't played it myself but I believe it's a more skirmish sized version of 40k

Whoa where did all these factions come from!? A lot has changed since the last time I looked at 40k products apparently... This does look neat though.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

What you want, my friend, is Space Hulk.

Apparently they don't make this anymore, but there's now Blackstone Fortress, and Space Marine Adventures, and Combat Arena, and Kill Team, and Apocalypse, and regular 40k still.

I was not prepared to go down this rabbit hole.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    A not insignificant part of Lancer's appeal to me is literally that it isn't Battletech, so it could just be we're looking for different things from a game.

If battletech had Lancer's setting...

FASA has never designed a game meant to be played by humans

edited May 2020
    I have played battletech before.

It's hilarious.

That said it's appealing in that very specific way imo, where the depth and crunch mostly falls apart under the weight of random chance once the dice start falling and the hilarity insues.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Man

I love Mage

(the Awakening 2ed you philistines )

I keep trying to read the mage book and getting a headache and giving up

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Lancer is Battletech for people who wish Battletech could be played by humans, and it's D&D4E for people who don't think D&D was the right vehicle for 4E's mechanics.

There might be one or two more categories, but those are the obvious two to me.

Oh, I mean sure you can play FASA games, they just weren't designed for you, a human being

People ostensibly play Shadowrun too

Some people presumably enjoy Rifts! We don't talk about them.

Someone make me a version of mage that comes with a sidebar explaining each new term of lexicon as it shows up and has a summary of vocabulary at the end of each chapter like a grade school textbook please.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Oh, I mean sure you can play FASA games, they just weren't designed for you, a human being

People ostensibly play Shadowrun too

Some people presumably enjoy Rifts! We don't talk about them.

I started playing in a Rifts game once. Still waiting for my go in the melee phase of turn 1, here.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    This has been covered before, but the Date After Which You Can't Do Anything About It is almost here, so I just wanted to remind anyone who's interested: The One Ring roleplaying game, published by Cubicle 7, is about to disappear into the aether because Cubicle 7's license for that material is about to expire.

I was reminded of this because earlier today I got an email from Cubicle 7 by way of DriveThruRPG, saying this:
    Hi all,

This is an important announcement regarding The One Ring™ Roleplaying Game and Adventures in Middle-earth™, Cubicle 7 products you currently own.

Wednesday 27 May 2020 marks the end date for Cubicle 7 to be able to sell PDF products of The One Ring™ Roleplaying Game and Adventures in Middle-earth™. We would encourage those who would like to complete their PDF collections to do so before this date. Currently, the easiest way to complete your collection is via the bundles linked below. We will also reduce the price of individual PDF products later on today for the final week of their availability. (Reflecting the same level of discount as the bundles.)

ONE RING BUNDLE at 50% off

AIME BUNDLE at 30% off

What happens after Wednesday 27 May 2020?

After this date we will mark all The One Ring™ Roleplaying Game and Adventures in Middle-earth™ products as inactive. This means they will no longer be available to purchase, but all previously purchased PDFs will remain in your Drive Thru RPG libraries.

After Wednesday 27 May 2020: we will no longer have any say about what happens to these files – they may remain inactive forever or even be removed from Drive Thru RPG. This is up to the licence holder: Sophisticated Games.

We strongly encourage you to download and create a backup of these files — just in case they are removed — as we wouldn’t want you to lose access to a product that you already purchased and own.

As a final note, we’d like to take this opportunity to thank you, our loyal customers for your continued support over the years.

Dom and the Cubicle 7 team.
    I got all these PDFs from a Bundle of Holding not long ago, but I thought "Oh, maybe I'll go grab a hard copy of the core rulebook, just to have, before it disappears". Well, I guess it's already too late for that, because it doesn't seem to be in stock everywhere, and copies are selling for like... hundreds of dollars. I guess it's been out of print for a while? Bummer.

• KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Someone make me a version of mage that comes with a sidebar explaining each new term of lexicon as it shows up and has a summary of vocabulary at the end of each chapter like a grade school textbook please.

I would buy the hell out of this

Delduwath wrote: »
    This has been covered before, but the Date After Which You Can't Do Anything About It is almost here, so I just wanted to remind anyone who's interested: The One Ring roleplaying game, published by Cubicle 7, is about to disappear into the aether because Cubicle 7's license for that material is about to expire.

I was reminded of this because earlier today I got an email from Cubicle 7 by way of DriveThruRPG, saying this:
    Hi all,

This is an important announcement regarding The One Ring™ Roleplaying Game and Adventures in Middle-earth™, Cubicle 7 products you currently own.

Wednesday 27 May 2020 marks the end date for Cubicle 7 to be able to sell PDF products of The One Ring™ Roleplaying Game and Adventures in Middle-earth™. We would encourage those who would like to complete their PDF collections to do so before this date. Currently, the easiest way to complete your collection is via the bundles linked below. We will also reduce the price of individual PDF products later on today for the final week of their availability. (Reflecting the same level of discount as the bundles.)

AIME BUNDLE at 30% off

After this date we will mark all The One Ring™ Roleplaying Game and Adventures in Middle-earth™ products as inactive. This means they will no longer be available to purchase, but all previously purchased PDFs will remain in your Drive Thru RPG libraries.

After Wednesday 27 May 2020: we will no longer have any say about what happens to these files – they may remain inactive forever or even be removed from Drive Thru RPG. This is up to the licence holder: Sophisticated Games.

We strongly encourage you to download and create a backup of these files — just in case they are removed — as we wouldn’t want you to lose access to a product that you already purchased and own.

As a final note, we’d like to take this opportunity to thank you, our loyal customers for your continued support over the years.

I got all these PDFs from a Bundle of Holding not long ago, but I thought "Oh, maybe I'll go grab a hard copy of the core rulebook, just to have, before it disappears". Well, I guess it's already too late for that, because it doesn't seem to be in stock everywhere, and copies are selling for like... hundreds of dollars. I guess it's been out of print for a while? Bummer.

I hundred percent recommend anyone to pick this up. It's a fantastically written and made game, and all the products are beautiful

Also

it is a CRIME that it is getting canned

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    A not insignificant part of Lancer's appeal to me is literally that it isn't Battletech, so it could just be we're looking for different things from a game.

Like, after playing the turn-based videogame I've grown a little less cold towards Battletech and its general design sensibilities, but I still kinda think a lot of the stuff around it feels... I dunno, lame?

It's like... you know how Evangelion and Nadia and such sometimes lose themselves in what my friends like to describe as "Anno sidetracks the series for ten minutes to show off his love of military sakuga"? Battletech kind of feels like a setting built out of those moments entirely.

Steam ID: Right here.
    I fancy Lancer maybe

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I hundred percent recommend anyone to pick this up. It's a fantastically written and made game, and all the products are beautiful

Also

It's really an interesting system, but I can't really justify buying the whole thing, since my mini-campaign kind of crashed due to the whole lockdown and stress and so on thing. Also it kind of breaks down at low player counts, as I found out!

Steam ID: Right here.
    Battletechs entire appeal is in how they’re lame ass huge hunks of metal beating the ever loving shit out of each other.

But also I definitely agree with ‘just play the pc game or roguetech’ being the way to enjoy dumb mech stuff over setting up and rolling everything on a physical board.

• MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular

Hi all,

AIME BUNDLE at 30% off

Also

IIRC another company has picked up the license with terms that allow them to use the same rule set without issue. They also have tagged the original lead developer C7 worked with to work on any new material.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh hi dnd thread. It has been a while, you know how I said I killed one of my students characters? And I did it by asking for hid character sheet because I had to check something and tore his sheet in half

Well yesterday, I killed another character at school, it was the same kid.

He failed his death saving throw, and said, “here you go mister” and he gave me his character sheet. I tore it in half and I gave it back to him and said, “here you go, I think this is yours”

Brutal

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    That’s a fucking Dethklok song.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    the children have to learn that life is cruel and often specifically to them, individually.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You should have a session where they visit the underworld and their previous characters help them out.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    MsAnthropy wrote: »

Hi all,

AIME BUNDLE at 30% off

Also

IIRC another company has picked up the license with terms that allow them to use the same rule set without issue. They also have tagged the original lead developer C7 worked with to work on any new material.
    So Cubicle 7 developed a ruleset, lost their license, and now another company is getting the license instead and they get to just make full use of the stuff Cubicle 7 already developed? I guess that's good for fans, who already have the old books and will have new books that are compatible with them, but... feels kinda crummy for Cubicle 7?

Also, they were just about to release The One Ring version 2, weren't they? That double-sucks.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh hi dnd thread. It has been a while, you know how I said I killed one of my students characters? And I did it by asking for hid character sheet because I had to check something and tore his sheet in half

Well yesterday, I killed another character at school, it was the same kid.

He failed his death saving throw, and said, “here you go mister” and he gave me his character sheet. I tore it in half and I gave it back to him and said, “here you go, I think this is yours”

Why rip up the sheet? Just insult to injury at that point if it was a character he was attached to.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I pulled the "can I check something on your sheet real quick?" move once, but what I did was just tuck it back into my GM folder and inform them that their character died.

Now, admittedly, this was during a shared psychic nightmare and so their character wasn't really dead, but all the same, I feel like it's kind of a dick move to pull.

This discussion has been closed.