As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Is there a downside to running two detachments? After not having to deadl with a FoC for so long I realised what I want to run has too much fast attack, but if I split it into a Battalion and a Spearhead, it works.

No, and the more detachments you have the more CP you get. There are recommended limits based on points level, I forget where exactly they're written down. For the most common points levels, 1001 to 2000, the limit is 3.

Multiple detachments is also how you mix factions or subfactions best, although the exact effects depend on what you're trying to mix.

Well, you will lose CP if you're talking about going from a brigade to a battallion and a spearhead - or more precisely, generate less (5 from the battallion and 1 from the spearhead, rather than 12 for the full brigade).

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Uh... Okay so is there a tl;dr or link to wtf and how all the Primarchs and shit are coming back? I quit playing decades ago, got lost in the wiki about Guilliman coming back, but like... More?! I know it's going to be "warp shit" but I am curious.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    dporowski wrote: »
    Uh... Okay so is there a tl;dr or link to wtf and how all the Primarchs and shit are coming back? I quit playing decades ago, got lost in the wiki about Guilliman coming back, but like... More?! I know it's going to be "warp shit" but I am curious.

Lexicanum has a list of the Primarchs and how they are prophesied to return

Basically most of the living loyalist ones are, "Will return at the end times equivalent."

-Kosoro Khan is lost in the webway
    -Leman Russ is in the warp leading the 13th. Though I guess some came back on Cadia?
    -Corax is going around being a Warp being but not a daemon fucking with Logar
    -Bobby G is alive
    -Vulkan is an eternal and can't die and is off being a crazy hermit after Cruze tortured him for ages

The rest are dead or MIA via probably dead. I think only Dorn has a chance as he is lost in space somewhere.

For Chaos:
    -Morty and Magnus are out playing
    -Perty is being a petulant child hiding in the warp
    -Angron is a Khorne DP somewhere, I think he got banished by Grey Knights last time he showed up
    -Fulgrim is off killing Eldar and shit
    -Logar is leading a the WB's in Segmentum Obsecurus, is a DP of Chaos Undivided
    -Alpharius, we are all Alpharius
    -Abbadon is Horus
    -Cruz is dead

Edit:

Spoilers for Black Library Abbadon books:
    Fabius Bile cloned perfectly all the primarchs but Abbadon killed all of them but a clone of Fulgrim who is pre-sword of Laher/corruption Fulgrim with his memories and is currently in stasis by Trayzen in his library.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Well, most of the Loyalist primarchs that aren’t extremely, epically we-have-most-of-the-body dead are disappeared, presumed dead, mostly by wandering off into the warp so could theoretically appear again any time, and most of the Traitor primarchs that aren’t similarly Very Definitely Dead are either daemon princes, brooding in the warp, or brooding daemon princes, and could theoretically decide they want to go for a stroll anytime.
    So yeah, pretty much “lol warp” except for that poor bastard Vulkan who literally can’t stay dead so naturally keeps getting ‘killed’ in increasingly horrific ways, always far from the Imperium’s knowledge.
    Only Guilleman had a properly constructed dead-but-not-quite way out though. I’m just annoyed they short-circuited the foreshadowing with a random third party.
    Also, Eldrad continues to be a dick.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Rogal Dorn is almost certainly showing back up eventually

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Man, for some reason I remembered they'd all been properly killed, bar the Daemon Princes and such. Thanks! Guess they decided to mix up "eternal unchanging war"...

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Ferrus Manus is dead, but the Iron Hands have his skull (Dorn got ahold of it somehow, then he and Guilliman gave it to the Iron Hands in exchange for them agreeing to abide by the then new Codex Astartes chapter restrictions) and Master of Mankind all but outright says that he is wrecking demons in the Warp leading the Legion of the Damned.

The easiest loyalist primarch to bring back would be the lion, since the "wake up the mortally wounded guy from stasis, then cure his wounds" trick already worked on Guilliman.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Well, most of the Loyalist primarchs that aren’t extremely, epically we-have-most-of-the-body dead are disappeared, presumed dead, mostly by wandering off into the warp so could theoretically appear again any time, and most of the Traitor primarchs that aren’t similarly Very Definitely Dead are either daemon princes, brooding in the warp, or brooding daemon princes, and could theoretically decide they want to go for a stroll anytime.
    So yeah, pretty much “lol warp” except for that poor bastard Vulkan who literally can’t stay dead so naturally keeps getting ‘killed’ in increasingly horrific ways, always far from the Imperium’s knowledge.
    Only Guilleman had a properly constructed dead-but-not-quite way out though. I’m just annoyed they short-circuited the foreshadowing with a random third party.
    Also, Eldrad continues to be a dick.

The Lion is literally hanging out in the Rock in more or less the exact same way Guilliman was (except, because Dark Angels, it's a secret)

uH3IcEi.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Isn’t he dead dead - as in it’s just is skeleton left encased in amber?

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Greater Imperial Demons

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Greater Imperial Demons

They retconned that it went from a full skeleton to just a hand

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Master of Mankind all but outright says that he is wrecking demons in the Warp leading the Legion of the Damned.
    I certainly don't remember that bit - where does it say that?

Though the veiled path is playing around with fulgrim the demon and sending the good boy fulgrim somewhere else via both the webway
    I think they are holding Khan as a backup or a sideboard card in the webway/Commorragh
    It's kind of funny how the Veiled Path harlequins are playing the games of the eldar of old

I know in the fallout of the Gathering storm Luther was snatched or broken out of jail and the Lion pressed the snooze button again
    Leman is one of them I am curious about since in the Warzone Fenris book is was hinted at often he was comming then the gathering storm happened nothing {I still need to get the saga of the beast book for my brother}
    Dorn was hinted at being the new Malcador the Sigillite in the rise of the Primarch book but that was just one of those half truth hints they do

I thought Logar was busying reading/writing scripture which is why he was annoyed that Corax was around
    I have heard nothing of Vulken since the war of the beast 1.0 and felt the treasure hunt he gave his chapter was to find him
    '
    I do need to get the Faith and Fury book for the black templars the Saga of the beast for the orks/Space wolves {I do need to get the ork codex instead of faking it with green tides with a 6 pack of killa cans against my brother}

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Didn't Vulcan already come back for the Beast storyline?

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Went and had a gander at a Genestealer Cult Tactics thread and noped the fuck out.

That sort of shit is what made me quit 40k the first time.

-Loki- on
    edited May 2020
    honovere wrote: »
    Didn't Vulcan already come back for the Beast storyline?

Yeah but that was thousands of years ago before present setting. "Died" at the end to destroy The Beast. Something he says to an Imperial Fist marine implies he's in touch with Dorn who was supposedly dead but he might just be crazy.
    I thought Logar was busying reading/writing scripture which is why he was annoyed that Corax was around
    Something is hunting Word Bearers in the Eye of Terror and killing enough of them to finally get Lorgar to come out of his 10 thousand year meditation in his tower and lo and behold its not-Demon Corvax who's basically a metal vampire now. He kicks the shit out of Lorgar, forcing him to retreat. Corvax says that he "has Lorgar's scent now" so they're not done with each other. Lorgar figuring he's up and about might as well join his sons on a crusade or two.
    I certainly don't remember that bit - where does it say that?
    I might be misremembering this but during the Heresy there's a whole massive second war going on around Emp's failed Webway project. At the end Emps summons a whole host of Imperial demons led by someone strongly resembling Ferrus Manus.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Went and had a gander at a Genestealer Cult Tactics thread and noped the fuck out.

Why? What about it?
    It was the toxic people in 40k that made me quit sometime ago

Brainleech wrote: »

Why? What about it?

The ‘this is the only way to build a list’ mentality.

Why? What about it?

That is one of the things I do dislike about 40k as it just will not go away
    Telling me that certain models are trash or not to play a swarm of tyranids or the silly list of Zoanthropes and hormoguants is really not how you encourage people to have fun

Why? What about it?

That is one of the things I do dislike about 40k as it just will not go away
    Telling me that certain models are trash or not to play a swarm of tyranids or the silly list of Zoanthropes and hormoguants is really not how you encourage people to have fun

The Genestealer advice was 'our only competitive lists are MSU Acolyte spam backed up by Exocrines and Hive Guard'.

First of all, I always hate any discussion that says 'this is the only way to play this'. Second of all, if I wanted to play a Tyranid gunline, I'd play my Tyranids.

I don't do tournaments, and only play for fun with friends, so I guess maybe a tactics thread wasn't the place for me, but other games I've played have managed to have tactics discussions without saying 'play this list or you'll lose'.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    The sad fact of the matter is in most tactics lists it's dominated by the competitive crowd and the way being competitive in pretty much any game is use the most efficient (i.e. reward for cost) units (or system).

So that's why you see those lists being shown as the only way to play since those people have that super competitive mindset.

Sometimes you can roll in and tell them you want a fluffy but fun list and ask how to make it work and they'll help you out.

Sometimes.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    It's also fundamentally impossible to make a game where every possible list is equally valid.

An army of, e.g., only patriarchs would not be a good list, regardless of how balanced the game (and patriarchs) are.

That said, the game developers (here GW) should strive to accommodate as much diversity in units and archetypes as possible. Elite force vs swarm vs monsters vs vehicles vs combined arms… should all be (roughly) equally viable, and no units should be must-takes or must-not-takes.

Also, I want a pony.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    No game has managed to have every list be equally valid, but it seems to be pretty specific to 40k tactics discussion that people don't even want to talk about X sub par unit that they've been using effectively in games. Tactics discussions almost immediately turn into 'that won't work in a tournament'.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Trust me on this, as someone who does well in regular tournaments and plays in an extremely competitive meta, anyone who says "this is the only way to play X faction" is just parroting the internet and isn't actually very good.

All the real discussion about lists and tactics between high-level players goes on in invite-only whats-app groups. Your LVO winners and such aren't posting on reddit. In fact, they generally avoid online tactics discussion at all.

GSC is a perfect example. People say acoltyes+ tyranid guns is the only way to play, yet there's been a player whose name eludes me doing extremely well playing a pure GSC list that runs multiple chapters and relies on bikes.

Norgoth on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    So that super cool Catachan model (even though we weren't able to get one) has spurred my buddy into finally making a Predator-themed, Catachan Kill Team. So I have decided to help out and play along. I'm going to paint up a Drukhari Archon to be my Predator and we're going to whip up a scenario for us to play Commander vs. Normal Kill Team. I think it will be super fun.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    No game has managed to have every list be equally valid, but it seems to be pretty specific to 40k tactics discussion that people don't even want to talk about X sub par unit that they've been using effectively in games. Tactics discussions almost immediately turn into 'that won't work in a tournament'.

Are you talking about 1d4chan's "Tactics"? Yeah, those people are 'nards. Try Goonhammer's GSC Tactica instead.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    For basic tactics and good write ups stick with Art of War and Goonhammer. I really recommend checking out Art of War's stream if they are playing the army you want. It has three of the best players in the world and they put effort talking through their thoughts as they play. Nick Nanavati is one of the better GSC players or was. He chases the meta a lot.

Reddit is pretty terrible a lot of the time. I tend to check it for Panda's weekly update when there are tourneys. That's about it. Dakka Dakka is still a hive of scum and villainy. I don't look at Bolter and Chainsword much because I figure they are too busy jacking off to how good SM are. Except for the BT part, maybe.

There are lots of places though outside of that for learning tactics and watching good games. For battle reports I recommend Table Top Tactics, Striking Scorpion, WinterSEO, and 40k in 40 minutes.

u7stthr17eud.png
    1d's Kill Teams strat lists are pretty laughable

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    The sad fact of the matter is in most tactics lists it's dominated by the competitive crowd and the way being competitive in pretty much any game is use the most efficient (i.e. reward for cost) units (or system).

So that's why you see those lists being shown as the only way to play since those people have that super competitive mindset.

Sometimes you can roll in and tell them you want a fluffy but fun list and ask how to make it work and they'll help you out.

Sometimes.

I mean, that's kind of how a discussion in a tactics topic, especially in a game with a strong tournament scene is going to go unless you work from the start "this about building your dead hard internet list.' And its kind of hard to keep the bleed over under control if you're talking about both in one thread. Back when Port Maw was still around for BFG, I worked hard on the 'How to Use Your Ships' tactica, which had run downs of all the ships in the games, their strengths, and sometimes significant flaws.

As opposed to the tournament tactics thread which, due to the way the game worked, meant that Dauntless cruiser torpedo and marine battle barg0 bombardment cannon spam kinda dominated just because of how ye olde rules worked.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I like the tournament talk sometimes because it gives me a good idea of optimal units and loadouts so when I build a fun list I can still potential add some strength if it fits what I'm doing.

I've also found the facebook pages seem pretty good for wanting suggestions on lists. There are still gonna be the tourney heavy players but I find a lot of people are happy to talk about different kinds of lists to play with.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Went and had a read of Goonhammers Psychic Awakening breakdown for Tyranids and Genestealer Cult and I like their attitude a lot. If something is situational they still break down how good it is in those situations, which is the sort of talk i was looking fur.

Thanks for the recommendation @Elaro and @Mazzyx

With a lightly armoured melee unit like Hybrid Acolytes, am I better off with a larger squad or MSU this edition?

MSU lets me hit more targets but a larger squad feels like it’ll survive Overwatch and generally getting to combat better.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    With a lightly armoured melee unit like Hybrid Acolytes, am I better off with a larger squad or MSU this edition?

MSU lets me hit more targets but a larger squad feels like it’ll survive Overwatch and generally getting to combat better.

Surviving to get into combat isn't that big a deal with GSU with your deepstrike shenanigans.

Good rule of thumb in 8th is MSU, unless the unit can be targeted by a powerful strategem, in which case max size to maximise the buff.

Like I wouldn't feel bad about playing max acolytes because then you're getting more out of the 3" deepstrike for example.

edited May 2020
    Yeah the argument for a large squad was to maximise the Rock Saws. Squad of 15 gets 6 Rock Saws which are Sx2, Ap -4, D2.

Not much will survive that.

-Loki- on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Sometimes.

I mean, that's kind of how a discussion in a tactics topic, especially in a game with a strong tournament scene is going to go unless you work from the start "this about building your dead hard internet list.' And its kind of hard to keep the bleed over under control if you're talking about both in one thread. Back when Port Maw was still around for BFG, I worked hard on the 'How to Use Your Ships' tactica, which had run downs of all the ships in the games, their strengths, and sometimes significant flaws.

As opposed to the tournament tactics thread which, due to the way the game worked, meant that Dauntless cruiser torpedo and marine battle barg0 bombardment cannon spam kinda dominated just because of how ye olde rules worked.

I never played bfg even remotely competitively. What made those two so good?

Anyone have a deathwatch stormshield they'd be willing to part with?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I really want to see an organized list for this price increase coming. It seems like almost every model in 40k, AoS, LotR, and blood bowl is going up in price so far.

Still looking through the 38 pages of product going up in price.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Stragint wrote: »
    I really want to see an organized list for this price increase coming. It seems like almost every model in 40k, AoS, LotR, and blood bowl is going up in price so far.

Link? Haven't heard of this

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Stragint wrote: »

Link? Haven't heard of this

They announced it today on the community page.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/21/heads-up-price-adjustment-new-releases/

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    It sucks that all of the Aeronautica Imperialis stuff is going up in price. That game just came out last year, and hiking the price on all of the kits doesn't seem like a good way to grow a playerbase.