As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Give me a naval film about the Russo-Japanese War.

... but how can you have a Navy movie without waving a bunch of American flags and tossing out a few choice quotes by American officers? Where is the liberty? Who is the bad guy the US is beating?

Also, did they even play volleyball?

Hell yeah :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N70baRkAr9g

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    We need a movie about the USS Monitor v. CSS Virginia.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching Jojo Rabbit and man

That's a great movie, so good

Yorki stole every scene he was in. "Oh good for you Jojo a girlfriend!"

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    I did not enjoy ScarJo as the mom. I do not think she has either the dramatic or ( and more importantly I think with the tonal shifts the movie presents) comedic range that a more gifted actress could have brought. Whereas I very much enjoyed the young girl, and hope she has a long career.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The kids in Jojo were all great

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I finally saw Joker. I came in with a lot of apprehension expecting to hate it.

It's a real good movie.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I finally saw Joker. I came in with a lot of apprehension expecting to hate it.

It's a real good movie.

It sure thinks a lot of itself that's for sure.

I found it to be a painful drag that pissed all over the core concepts of the actual character of the Joker.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The parts where it tries to tie in to the actual Joker are by far the worst points of the film for me. You could snip something like five minutes out of the movie and take "Gotham" out and the movie has basically no connection whatsoever to any version of the Joker, and the movie would be straight-up improved by the change.

Which is about what the director was going for, seeing as he outright said at one point that he wanted to make one movie and told the studio he was making a Joker movie, just so he could make the film he actually wanted to make.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It’s a halfass Taxi Driver wrapped around one amazing performance

The director is an empty-headed red piller who only makes offensive dudebro schlock

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I've come to the idea that if we didn't like a movie because it's not as good as other like movie, then we should probably just stop watching movies altogether.

That being said I wasn't particularly hot on Joker, but the mindset that "it resembles X but not as good, therefore it's total shit" feels... I dunno, really meh

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I will say, as an addendum:
    Atomika wrote: »
    The director is an empty-headed red piller who only makes offensive dudebro schlock

That's completely valid, yeah

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I've come to the idea that if we didn't like a movie because it's not as good as other like movie, then we should probably just stop watching movies altogether.

That being said I wasn't particularly hot on Joker, but the mindset that "it resembles X but not as good, therefore it's total shit" feels... I dunno, really meh

I dunno sometimes when you see a movie that almost feels like a shitty remake of another better movie not critiquing it based on that feels like ignoring the elephant in the room. Like how the Divergent movies are "hunger games but not"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Apply this to other art and we can see how it falls apart.

Its a David but isnt as good as David is a legitimate criticizm. If you do something new you have more leeway to do it less good. If you copy; it better be fantastic.

Edit: or satire

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I dunno sometimes when you see a movie that almost feels like a shitty remake of another better movie not critiquing it based on that feels like ignoring the elephant in the room. Like how the Divergent movies are "hunger games but not"

I think the director flat out said he was basing it off of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. That’s why Scorsese was originally producing it. It’s not subtle.

The difference being that Scorsese’s films had something to say and Joker just wants to be weird and violent.

• Options
    Nicolas Hoult dropped from MI:7, replaced by Esai Morales

xbxj51wnfr2b.gif

• Options
    That confuses me a little based on ages between the two. But its MI so like as long as I get Tom Cruise doing some stupid physical stunt and running I'm good.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    That character sheet must have just said, “Male, able to speak”

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Huzzah!

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

"White"

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

"White"

Esai Morales?

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    It's the very rare reverse Scarlett Johansson.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Netflix caught censoring Back to the Future 2. I thought this was just a lag thing when I didn't hear the multiple ooh la las when I had it on as background a few weeks ago but they really did cut out ten seconds of a randy cover.

And there was also the poorly made Disney + edit of Splash that hid Daryl Hannah butt ( howdareyou.gif ). I think the edits are stupid, but I wouldn't have a problem if they're labeled as walkie talkie versions of the movies outright like when you watch a movie on TV. That's kind of the joy of streaming service, to let us be adults and let us be Judge Judys. Just fucking stop please k thx.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Netflix caught censoring Back to the Future 2. I thought this was just a lag thing when I didn't hear the multiple ooh la las when I had it on as background a few weeks ago but they really did cut out ten seconds of a randy cover.

And there was also the poorly made Disney + edit of Splash that hid Daryl Hannah butt ( howdareyou.gif ). I think the edits are stupid, but I wouldn't have a problem if they're labeled as walkie talkie versions of the movies outright like when you watch a movie on TV. That's kind of the joy of streaming service, to let us be adults and let us be Judge Judys. Just fucking stop please k thx.

It's not always on the streaming service themselves. Like Amazon was accused of censoring a gay scene from a movie, when it was the movies distributor.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    What's Keanu Reeves working on right now? He was filming in my city earlier today. Which amazed me most was that any filming was going on at all.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    That confuses me a little based on ages between the two. But its MI so like as long as I get Tom Cruise doing some stupid physical stunt and running I'm good.

I'm almost more excited for the behind the scenes thing we get every M:I of what insane stunt did Tom Cruise go way overboard to do

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    John Wick 4 bill and ted 3.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

Also according to Wikipedia Matrix 4 is in filming.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Also according to Wikipedia Matrix 4 is in filming.

And he's doing voice recording for Cyberpunk. 2020 is the Year of the Reeves.

• Options
    I'm in a real small town surrounded by desert and it's a small small store he was filming at. Usually the town gets used to depict Texas. X-Files filmed it's Texas stuff out here

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    What did he have with him? If it was guns, we can narrow it down to two options. And if it was a guitar, we can narrow it down to two options.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

I think the director flat out said he was basing it off of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. That’s why Scorsese was originally producing it. It’s not subtle.

The difference being that Scorsese’s films had something to say and Joker just wants to be weird and violent.

It's even worse than that. Joker thinks it has something to say. It thinks it's some profound commentary about society. The fact that it doesn't say anything at all is something I find genuinely offensive. The only reason I watched it through is Phoenix did really well.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    What did he have with him? If it was guns, we can narrow it down to two options. And if it was a guitar, we can narrow it down to two options.

Saw a couple of pictures and he was on an old motorcycle so I'm guessing John wick 4. Maybe I'll have my gf send me the photos and I'll post them here if they're not too big.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Blood Machines is out on Shudder, in three episodes.

Just watched the first one. Great effects, amazing music... traaaaash acting.

So yeah, it's about what I expected, lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxlA0cf8Z60
    (NSFW)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I stand corrected, the second act was good, the third was incredible.

Some screens from the insane finale:

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I'm going to be honest, I wasn't sure if Blood Machines was ever going to actually materialize. It looked like the kind of project too ambitious and strange to finish. I think I'll cash in that free trial on shudder soon to check it out.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    I'm in a real small town surrounded by desert and it's a small small store he was filming at. Usually the town gets used to depict Texas. X-Files filmed it's Texas stuff out here

Which is always hilarious to me in media, since the desert parts of Texas are virtually uninhabited, and almost everyone lives in the hilly, swampy parts of Texas with dense pine forests.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

Which is always hilarious to me in media, since the desert parts of Texas are virtually uninhabited, and almost everyone lives in the hilly, swampy parts of Texas with dense pine forests.

Having spent a lot of time in British Columbia it's insane how much it pops up as a stand-in for essentially anywhere.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

Having spent a lot of time in British Columbia it's insane how much it pops up as a stand-in for essentially anywhere.

Vancouver is the non-union Mexican equivalent of NYC

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

Vancouver is the non-union Mexican equivalent of NYC
    https://youtu.be/ojm74VGsZBU

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Blood Machines is out on Shudder, in three episodes.

Just watched the first one. Great effects, amazing music... traaaaash acting.

So yeah, it's about what I expected, lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxlA0cf8Z60
    (NSFW)

Is this from the same guy that did Turbo Killer? Because...

This discussion has been closed.