As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The original iteration of Xbox Live was shut down some time ago. Microsoft has had to do a lot of bending over backwards, and a lot of updates, to keep the Xbox 360 compatible with Xbox Live. Though System link does work between original Xbox and Xbox 360 and Xbox One if you can find a game (like Halo).
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I did not know the 360 had backwards compatibility. I have been living under a rock. Seems kinda buggy from what I read.

Yeah, it was actually surprisingly broad (there are basically no original Xbox games that I want to play that aren't playable through Xbox 360), but it was less than perfect. Ninja Gaiden Black had certain texture-mapping errors though you had to actually look for them.

Still, at least they didn't completely remove it, which is what happened to the PS2 BC on PS3.

There is no Sanctuary Warriors and Gladius!

I would near about die if they got those two added.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I miss the days when Target had 25% off. Good times.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Running into an issue where, specifically when playing Modern Warfare Warzone, randomly my clips will be shortened to 5 seconds for no reason. It only happens in that game, and only sometimes. Really sucks I lost some good gameplay clips to that glitch, including a midair pistol kill as the match started

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Could be that the system is under enough load that it triggers the clip to be shorter. It shouldn't be, but it happens.

• Options
    Well, this is mildly unexpected: the whole original Xbox source code has been leaked online along with Windows NT 3.5.

The original Xbox already has a reputation as a highly popular modder console platform with a pretty strong homebrew scene. Despite a long familiarity with emulation, my own tastes pretty much end with the console generation before that (aside from trying out some Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PC in light of my slow-dying PS3), and it's really hard to say how much this will actually mean for that scene. My hope is that if it does spur more original Xbox emulation, Microsoft absorbs some of that work and talent if/when they resurrect the original Xbox BC program on Xbox Series X.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    This is actually not helpful for the emulation and modding scene as using leaked code (even if it's just too see how it works, to figure or how to better design their emulators) opens them up to lawsuits in a way that reverse engineering doesn't. Any homebrew dev worth their salt will stay very far away from this.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I'm imagining it's good for preservation and understanding how these machines work. I understand it's murky legal ground especially since Microsoft still works with OXbox titles sometimes, but when it comes to legacy hardware that's not made or supported anymore it really feels like something that should be ok. I understand that as far as emulation is concerned, the OXbox has already largely been blown wide open before hand anyways. I think in the end it's something that right now feels somewhat shady but 50-100 years from now, people will be glad that information was made available at some point, be it for reproduction or preservation sake

• Options
    Yeah, it's a strange situation since the most complete, most feature-rich Xbox and Xbox 360 emulation platform exists, unified...and is on Xbox One (and to-be on Xbox Series X). All other alternatives, excluding the very large supported Xbox library on Xbox 360, are markedly inferior (on top of occupying a very different are of legality). Xbox emulation has been going on for years without this, and will probably continue anyway.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    This is actually not helpful for the emulation and modding scene as using leaked code (even if it's just too see how it works, to figure or how to better design their emulators) opens them up to lawsuits in a way that reverse engineering doesn't. Any homebrew dev worth their salt will stay very far away from this.

I wonder if this leak is the reason why the Insignia OXbox Live replacement posted on the previous page was very clear that they're doing clean room reverse engineering.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Iirc it's music licensing or maybe specifically just Universal being sticks in the mud about it. But if any time a deal like this could be struck for brownies points with movie studios, it's right now!

I know Anamanaguchi wants the game released again. They don't even have to republish, just make the game BC!

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I need to find my X-Men Legends: Rise of Apocalypse game.

Play some Demon Stone.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

Play some Demon Stone.

I prefer marvel ultimate alliance myself as it had a lot more characters I actually care about .

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Play some Demon Stone.

I prefer marvel ultimate alliance myself as it had a lot more characters I actually care about .

The level up system was better in xmen legends though.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    oops

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    I will have to look for my Ultimate Alliance disc. I know where UA2 is at.

• Options
    On the subject of beat-them-ups...sort of....I'm not playing Streets of Rage 4 until I can actually find a friend to play with. The series is generally vastly more enjoyable with a friend, and I don't think SOR4 changes that, aside from being much harder than SOR3 was.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

If it matters, when MUA1/2 reappeared on XBL marketplace, it included all the DLC automatically.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Think the alien I made for my new Star Trek Online character came out pretty well.
    rR2aBSDh.png

Nice to see stuff like shadows and bloom in the XB1 version as my PC's not strong enough to have everything on full. Yeah, 10 year old game by now and I still don't have a graphics card for it.

• Options
    I got that XBox disc of Prince of Persia to work. Had to polish it twice with Brasso on the center of the disc.

• Options

If it matters, when MUA1/2 reappeared on XBL marketplace, it included all the DLC automatically.

Wasn't it stupid expensive though?
    On the subject of beat-them-ups...sort of....I'm not playing Streets of Rage 4 until I can actually find a friend to play with. The series is generally vastly more enjoyable with a friend, and I don't think SOR4 changes that, aside from being much harder than SOR3 was.

I'd rage the streets with someone from the board.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

My GT is Desynthesis, if you didn't already have it.

• Options
    Played X-Men Legends 2 and Demon Stone. I was pleasantly surprised that Patrick Stewart did voice work in both.

• Options
    Played X-Men Legends 2 and Demon Stone. I was pleasantly surprised that Patrick Stewart did voice work in both.

Also Castlevania (one of the newer ones), Felix the Reaper and of course Oblivion. I wouldn't mind hearing Patrick Stewart do more V/A work.

• Options
    I have been playing some old XBox games that I collected, but never got around to starting.

• Options
    I have been playing some old XBox games that I collected, but never got around to starting.

i339b50suj2c.jpg

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Jesus the saints row remake looks shit. It’s also insanely dark and no matter what settings you use driving at night is fucking ridiculous

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    With the Mafia remaster, if you have Mafia 3 already, you get the season pass for free.

I really need to finish that, but I’m currently playing Assassins Creed Odyssey, so don’t need another open world third person game in my life right now...

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    What is it with some games and having terrible sound implementation? The mini gun in saints row is practically silent, it sounds like sleigh bells ringing in the distance

I swear some developers just turn on “locational sounds” and then don’t check whether it means their gun sound effects are quieter than your characters footsteps

It’s always the same kind of error, a lot of games, especially third person games, don’t make the character themselves the receiver, they make the camera, so stuff that’s closer to the camera is louder than stuff closer to the character. Having the effect that an npc you are talking to is actually quieter than some npc on the street corner that happens to be yelling into the cameras mic

Prohass on
  • Options

My GT is Desynthesis, if you didn't already have it.

Followed and sent a message.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That's annoying. My Xbone media remote's volume down button appears to not work any more. The TV's own remote works, and I re-entered the device control setup in the Xbox's settings, but no dice.

Guess I'll just have to get used to having another remote handy again. #firstworldproblems and all that...

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Iirc it's music licensing or maybe specifically just Universal being sticks in the mud about it. But if any time a deal like this could be struck for brownies points with movie studios, it's right now!

I know Anamanaguchi wants the game released again. They don't even have to republish, just make the game BC!

Including Universal on this was clearly a mistake.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

I don't recall. I already had MUA1 and DLC from before and I picked up MUA2 because I needed the DLC to get the rest of the achievements. Might have paid ~$20 for it. Unsure if on sale.

• Options

Including Universal on this was clearly a mistake.

While I agree, I'm pretty sure the game only got made as part of marketing for the original movie. Universal were the ones footing the bill for development.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    That's annoying. My Xbone media remote's volume down button appears to not work any more. The TV's own remote works, and I re-entered the device control setup in the Xbox's settings, but no dice.

Guess I'll just have to get used to having another remote handy again. #firstworldproblems and all that...

If you didn't already and were using the first-party one, buy the PDP Media Remote, which is apparently superior in pretty much every way.

• Options

If you didn't already and were using the first-party one, buy the PDP Media Remote, which is apparently superior in pretty much every way.

That's the one I have and it works great. Reminds me of the bluetooth PS3 one in ways.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »

That's the one I have and it works great. Reminds me of the bluetooth PS3 one in ways.

PS3 media remotes (at the time) were grossly overpriced. The third-party one I bought did the job well enough...but it didn't last as long. By contrast, my cheapo first-party Xbox 360 media remote still works, and that came with a launch Xbox 360. When the PS3 media remote died, I pretty much stopped using that device as a bluray player anyway.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »

PS3 media remotes (at the time) were grossly overpriced. The third-party one I bought did the job well enough...but it didn't last as long. By contrast, my cheapo first-party Xbox 360 media remote still works, and that came with a launch Xbox 360. When the PS3 media remote died, I pretty much stopped using that device as a bluray player anyway.

Yeah, that original remote that came with the Pro version of the original 360 works like a champ. In fact everything I have from that launch system still works, just the rechargeable batteries are dead. Cables are long enough to play and still work just fine.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If you want to see the ARPG minecraft game streamers have early access and are playing the full version right now.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Man do I miss my Kinect. Xbox volume up/down was so useful.