As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When you have to stay at home, it's time for [BAD FOOD]

• notyanotya Registered User regular
    I've got a chunk of pork butt/shoulder (i feel like they're the same, but clearly those are opposite ends of the beast), in a slow cooker all day today soaking in teriyaki. Cannot. Wait. Gonna put it on rice and brussel sprouts.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    My brother is a chef and whenever he cooks dinner at someone's house the mashed potatoes always get praised. The secret is a fuckton of butter like 1:1 butter to potato ratio.

steam_sig.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    My brother is a chef and whenever he cooks dinner at someone's house the mashed potatoes always get praised. The secret is a fuckton of butter like 1:1 butter to potato ratio.

I feel like mashed potatoes are the thing everyone should know this works with.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    notya wrote: »
    I've got a chunk of pork butt/shoulder (i feel like they're the same, but clearly those are opposite ends of the beast), in a slow cooker all day today soaking in teriyaki. Cannot. Wait. Gonna put it on rice and brussel sprouts.

Pork butt and pork shoulder aren't quite the same thing. The butt is the actual shoulder, with the shoulder blade, and the shoulder is the upper front leg. Dunno why, but there it is.

In other news, wrapping a Hebrew National kosher dog in a slice of bacon and deep-frying it has left me feeling vaguely uneasy. Absolutely delicious, though.

kilnborn on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I have a pork shoulder thawing right now. Going to throw it on the smoker Monday. Sunday might be ribs. We'll see.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »
    notya wrote: »

Pork butt and pork shoulder aren't quite the same thing. The butt is the actual shoulder, with the shoulder blade, and the shoulder is the upper front leg. Dunno why, but there it is.

In other news, wrapping a Hebrew National kosher dog in a slice of bacon and deep-frying it has left me feeling vaguely uneasy. Absolutely delicious, though.

"Very well. Let this abomination unto the Lord begin!"

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

I feel like mashed potatoes are the thing everyone should know this works with.

See that's the thing, Carla and Molly in the test kitchen did this exact thing at Thanksgiving last year and people have not stopped talking smack about it

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I did pizza on my grill grates last year as an experiment. It came out fine, the ridged crust was definitely interesting. But getting pizza in and out of the grill/oven is already stressful enough without making the pizza ribbed for my pleasure, so the next time I just put the pizza stone on the grill. Much easier.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Finally found a way to (somewhat) reasonably aquire my all-time favorite cookies.

2t6891r06hza.jpg

(not pictured: the two boxes I've already eaten)

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I am eating Timbits cereal.

Birthday cake flavour.

It is fine.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I am eating Timbits cereal.

Birthday cake flavour.

It is fine.

I have wondered about it. Is it just like... frosted cornpops?

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Not really frosted.

They're slightly denser than Corn Pops.

They do taste like birthday cake flavoured things.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’m really glad I made that yesterday.

If I didn’t, it would have been a huge missed steak.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    mods?!?!?!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

You thought of that yesterday and waited for your chance, didn't you?

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Enlong wrote: »

I do not care for Gordon Ramsay.

sarukun on
    S'ok. Gordon Ramsay cares for you.

I sincerely hope that isn't true.

edited May 2020
    Welcome to the real world, where Gordon Ramsay cares for us all. It is 2022, and the only food available is Gordon Ramsay's frito pie. We either eat it, and work our shift at the gland-extraction plant, or go hungry.

kilnborn on
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    The man cooks pasta in oiled water. There is no way I can trust him when it comes to cooking.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The man cooks pasta in oiled water. There is no way I can trust him when it comes to cooking.

I've always just used plain tap water - not even salt - but I've seen people here talking about adding a splash of oil. Don't?

I've always just used plain tap water - not even salt - but I've seen people here talking about adding a splash of oil. Don't?

Definitely don't oil pasta.
    Oil will coat the pasta, which makes it less able to soak up juices from the sauce.

Ideally pasta should be cooked in plenty of water with a fair amount of salt in it. Pro-gastronomists (ie, scientific chefs) generally cook their pasta in shitloads of kosher salt (like, a tablespoon for a half-gallon of water). Absolutely don't do that with iodized salt though.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    But I love iodine

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Why plenty of water? I always boil whatever I'm boiling in just enough water for the thing. Doing otherwise gives me Excessive Energy Consumption Anxiety

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited May 2020
    Why plenty of water? I always boil whatever I'm boiling in just enough water for the thing. Doing otherwise gives me Excessive Energy Consumption Anxiety

Because when you cook pasta it will dissolve starch into the water. Too much and the pasta will stick to each other and create clumps of pasta. Which is generally not what you want.

P.S: It will also reduce its ability to absorb water. Which will make it less tender.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh right. I solve the tenderness problem by forgetting about it and letting it boil until it turns into a smooth paste.

Oh right. I solve the tenderness problem by forgetting about it and letting it boil until it turns into a smooth paste.

This is deeply upsetting news.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I put oil in the pasta water when boiling.

I'll be stopping that now.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

I put oil in the pasta water.

Because it prevents bubbling up, I won't be stopping.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

No, it doesn't.

I put in the oil (just a small glug) to stop the pasta sticking. I also used lots of water.

If the oil doesn't stop the sticking, then it's just a waste.

Also, using pasta water in cooking is a new thing I do and it is good

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I've never had trouble with pasta sticking after the first stir once it's started to soften.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I made pasta for dinner!

I used Wal-Mart brand pasta + marinara, but there was some cut up chicken in there, which makes everything better.

sig.gif
    On a side note, the wife bought potato waffles and I've never had them before.

Karl's review of Bird's eye potato waffles:

They good

edited May 2020

You thought of that yesterday and waited for your chance, didn't you?

It’s the whole reason I even made the steak in the first place.

(But yes.)

Drez on
    edited May 2020
    I use the cold water pasta method. It’s so much faster and better. Not good for long, thin noodles but great for stuff like ziti, elbows, etc.

And much less water.

Drez on
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

No, it doesn't.

Maybe for your atmospheric conditions, but not for mine.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    On a side note, the wife bought potato waffles and I've never had them before.

Karl's review of Bird's eye potato waffles:

They good

I'll have you know they're waffley versatile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSq_Fhcckvo

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    I use the cold water pasta method. It’s so much faster and better. Not good for long, thin noodles but great for stuff like ziti, elbows, etc.

And much less water.

*googling intensifies*

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

Ok, they're pretty good! Not as hot as I was expecting, but I'd 100% definitely binge a share pack myself and regret it the next day.

This discussion has been closed.