As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Did a bunch of Rival Wings for Tomestones last night to buy the kamuy, probably gonna do more today

PROS:
    • There's a ton of music and it's all great
    • More fun than normal PvP
    • Brute Justice rules

CONS:
    • It's still MMO PvP
    • It's impossible to come back when losing
    • Please for the love of god stop walking off alone if you're in an Oppressor PLEASE

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    do y’all have a discord or whatever

Miqo'te
    Is there a way to find out what the music is called in-game before I buy these Orchestrion rolls? Or am I just gonna have to google

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Au'ra
    I'm alllllmost done this 2.X stuff. So close I can taste it

The final boss on The Keeper of the Lake was pretty intense. I feel like the boss designs are definitely getting better.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Viera
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Is there a way to find out what the music is called in-game before I buy these Orchestrion rolls? Or am I just gonna have to google

google is it aside from educated guesses like getting a roll from a duty usually is a song from within that duty

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Miqo'te
    So I beat 3.0 last night, sorta accidentally! I knew I was on the last quest, but after the boss fight I didn't expect it to go right into
    30 minutes of credits lol

Thoughts on Heavensward (3.0 spoilers):
    • Man, the story really jumps all over the place in the last arc, huh. Ok, so the dragons are good except for Nidhogg, now fuck the church, now go to Sharlayan, now the Garleans are here, turns out the Ascians are the boss, look at this Tron shit...it really goes wild. It's not bad, it just feels somewhat disjointed. I get the sinking feeling that "SUDDENLY GARLEANS/ASCIANS" is going to keep happening
    • for real tho, fuck the church
    • It's super weird that we never did anything about the Scions other than Y'shtola! Like, I get they had to save something for 3.X, but I kept expecting to work on that again anytime, up until I realized I was in the endgame.
    • Flying is neat, but some of the sidequests for currents are annoyingly placed, wish I would just unlock it through MSQ
    • RIP to my boy Haurchefant, I had that spoiled for me a long time ago but still
    • Now I'm excited to get back to the best part of the game: Hildibrand quests

Early thoughts on Alexander:
    • Oh, so this is where the Rival Wings music comes from

edited May 2020
    Viera
    small clarification on one of those things
    Idyllshire isn't Sharlayan, it's just a former colony of the Sharlayans in Eorzea, Sharlayan itself is across the sea to the north somewhere.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    small clarification on one of those things
    Idyllshire isn't Sharlayan, it's just a former colony of the Sharlayans in Eorzea, Sharlayan itself is across the sea to the north somewhere.
    That name always messes me up. It always sounds to me like "Sharlayan" should be an adjective for the people that come from that place, and the place should be named "Sharlay" or something.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Once I hit level 30, am I going to want to do the requirements to change to a job, or just keep grinding out the MSQ with my same class

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    Miqo'te
    Once I hit level 30, am I going to want to do the requirements to change to a job

YES

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Roegadyn
    Once I hit level 30, am I going to want to do the requirements to change to a job, or just keep grinding out the MSQ with my same class

Each base class has an ‘advanced job’ equivalent after finishing the level 30 class quest. You will definitely want to do this as it adds additional traits and abilities to your current toolkit. Think of it more as a ‘promotion’ of your current class rather than an entirely new job.

Marauder becomes Warrior
    Gladiator becomes Paladin
    Pugilist becomes Monk
    Lancer becomes Dragoon
    Conjure becomes White Mage
    Archer becomes Bard
    Thaumaturge becomes Black Mage
    Arcanist becomes Scholar AND Summoner

Javen on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    The requirements for jobs these days are non-existent. They did away with the needing 15 in another class a while ago - you complete the class quests and then immediately get the quest to switch to the corresponding job(s).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited May 2020
    Viera
    30 is when the basic jobs upgrade into the advanced versions, and yes you want to do that. You keep your levels from the basic version of the job, it just changes the name and adds more buttons to unlock as you level further past 30. Except for arcanist, it's a weird outlier and splits at 30 into summoner, which builds upon the arcanist buttons, and scholar, which replaces them completely with a new set. Summoner/Scholar share their level because they both come from arcanist though so you don't need to worry about leveling them separately.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    no you don't need to it's fine

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    yes you do zay don’t be like that....

EzUAYcn.png
    Au'ra
    Hah, got to a point in 2.55 where the game is just straight up saying "Hey there's gonna be like... lots of cutscenes. Maybe get some popcorn idk"

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Au'ra
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hah, got to a point in 2.55 where the game is just straight up saying "Hey there's gonna be like... lots of cutscenes. Maybe get some popcorn idk"

Yes. They aren't kidding.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Roegadyn
    That’s not the last time that warning shows up and you should heed its advice everytime

Javen on
    Au'ra
    Yeah I've set aside a couple of hours later this week to watch my stories

I also realised exactly what about the Scion dialogue in ARR was bothering me.

It's a combination of a few things:

1. Expo-dump heavy - Not a huge problem, but especially early on it's so heavy on the expo-dumps that it is somewhat tedious
    2. Semi-archaic phraseology - I definitely feel like they have been leaning into this as deliberate as things go on, but earlier it felt more like jank japanese formal tone translation artifacts than a conscious decision
    3. Everyone has a mid-atlantic accent, and some are quite bad - Minfillia's definitely the worst offender (in terms of consistency) here, there was at least one line-read where she was just wildly swinging from a rhotic to non-rhotic dialect mid-line and it was driving me crazy

Generally the writing has been improving through the post-ARR stuff which is encouraging, but early on it definitely felt like some bad TTRPG roleplaying. Also I hear the voice actors are changing soon from where I am, so that should hopefully at least address the inconsistency problem

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Au'ra
    Yeah, the VAs all change with 3.0. The archaic phrasing is 100% deliberate, though some characters (Urianger) do it more than others. You're going to still get expo dumps here and there though, but I think Heavensward is better about it since all the basic groundwork is done - they can stick to more interesting things.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    I think some of the earlier translation issues you have might have been a result of ARR being produced under an incredible time crunch while also continuing to update the original launch of the game.

I really enjoyed 2.0 when it came out, but having played the expansions, a lot of ARR stuff feels kinda rough in comparison.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Well, the English VAs all change with 3.0. The Japanese ones have stayed consistent throughout.
    ayj9oT3.jpg

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Yesterday was a good day: I played for nearly two hours and got the following done:
    Dinged 70 botanist through Namazu beast tribe.
    Played 4 matches of Rival Wings on my MCH and dinged 62 and I now have 35 tomes. I don't know what to buy yet, but at the current speed I can buy a whole bunch of crap.

Au'ra
    Aldo wrote: »
    Yesterday was a good day: I played for nearly two hours and got the following done:
    Played 4 matches of Rival Wings on my MCH and dinged 62 and I now have 35 tomes. I don't know what to buy yet, but at the current speed I can buy a whole bunch of crap.

What cosmetics do you want? The riding maps would have been useful but with flight coming in ARR areas...

The various mounts are the main draw for most people I think.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

What cosmetics do you want? The riding maps would have been useful but with flight coming in ARR areas...

Thinking about the orchestrion scrolls and TT cards and maybe a mount that isnt super flashy. Also maybe just a stack of MGP.

Au'ra

Thinking about the orchestrion scrolls and TT cards and maybe a mount that isnt super flashy. Also maybe just a stack of MGP.

Well, all the ARR beast tribe mounts are cheap, and then the HW birds aren't TOO flashy... The event's going long enough to grab lots of stuff without trying too hard. Doing the MSQ roul daily for the xp will get you tons just from that.

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    well i applied to GHOST

somebody love me

Miqo'te
    Starter Edition is free to claim on PS4 until May 26th, goes live in NA later today: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/final-fantasy-xiv-online-starter-edition-for-ps4-free-until-may-26

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I got my edenchoir codex! I’m done with E8S forever!!! (Well, not really, not until rest of static gets chest, weapon, and mount...; ;)

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Meanwhile, my static's *this* close to beating E6S.

I've done it enough on my own time that I should get an upgraded accessory to edge out that enrage, but I'm really looking forward to us having a collective clear.

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Enlong wrote: »
    Meanwhile, my static's *this* close to beating E6S.

I've done it enough on my own time that I should get an upgraded accessory to edge out that enrage, but I'm really looking forward to us having a collective clear.
    I'm in the exact same boat. Hoping my group gets a clear tonight, but I've been clearing it in party finder after our raid times for a few weeks now.

Last week the party I got a clear with managed to beat it despite nine deaths and a healer LB3. The tanks and healers were absolutely ripping and it made all the difference.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    We just cleared E6S for the first time on week #3 yesterday. It was almost a one-shot, except we wiped to a 1% enrage on the first pull and it took another 40 minutes of attempts before we managed to get it down.

Then, instead of taking a week off as usual to study the next fight, we walked straight into E7S for a quick what's-going-on-in-here look and everything was chaos, aside from the one player who's been farming it with other groups who put a marker on their head and got us past the initial portals phase without us needing to think about it much.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the portals on e7s are secretly real easy, the trick is to have one person who gets it and just follow them.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    My group gave me so much shit cause I told them "don't worry, e7s is really easy once you see the trick! Simplest fight this tier!"

Then I discovered that I am really, really, really bad at seeing the trick while also doing voice callouts, and murdered everyone at least 3 times.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Au'ra
    the portals on e7s are secretly real easy, the trick is to have one person who gets it and just follow them.

Is it actually any harder than normal e7 on them, or just that it's still a mechanic that makes your head hurt?

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te

Is it actually any harder than normal e7 on them, or just that it's still a mechanic that makes your head hurt?
    There's portals on every square on both the east and west side, and they fire 3 times for each mechanic. Each time a beam fires from a portal it will disappear into a portal on the opposite side, and that's the color that the next volley will fire from.

It all looks very complicated and visually impressive, especially once the color swap mechanic gets added in, but the problem is that there are only 2 possible patterns total, so as soon as you see the first set of portals spawn you know exactly how to dodge all 3 volleys. So the entire mechanic is just "go to the first safe spot, then do one dance for pattern A, one dance for pattern B" with no thinking involved whatsoever.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Au'ra
    ph blake wrote: »

There's portals on every square on both the east and west side, and they fire 3 times for each mechanic. Each time a beam fires from a portal it will disappear into a portal on the opposite side, and that's the color that the next volley will fire from.

It all looks very complicated and visually impressive, especially once the color swap mechanic gets added in, but the problem is that there are only 2 possible patterns total, so as soon as you see the first set of portals spawn you know exactly how to dodge all 3 volleys. So the entire mechanic is just "go to the first safe spot, then do one dance for pattern A, one dance for pattern B" with no thinking involved whatsoever.
    That's about what I figured...

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Been playing Red Mage, and it's finally starting to make sense. The lack of an instant-cast damage spell that I can use on the run kind of hurts, but I can see how one would be unbalancing to the entire rest of the kit.

I'm also closing in on 60 with Dark Knight, mainly by making it my MSQ and Frontline Roulette job. Of course, usually I switch to Dragoon or Machinist as soon as I'm in Frontline, but the EXP still goes to Dark Knight. Finally had a session yesterday where both my Kills and Assists were higher than my Deaths, and felt like a real cool guy. My alliance still came in 3rd, but at least I was pulling my weight.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Au'ra
    Been playing Red Mage, and it's finally starting to make sense. The lack of an instant-cast damage spell that I can use on the run kind of hurts, but I can see how one would be unbalancing to the entire rest of the kit.

I'm also closing in on 60 with Dark Knight, mainly by making it my MSQ and Frontline Roulette job. Of course, usually I switch to Dragoon or Machinist as soon as I'm in Frontline, but the EXP still goes to Dark Knight. Finally had a session yesterday where both my Kills and Assists were higher than my Deaths, and felt like a real cool guy. My alliance still came in 3rd, but at least I was pulling my weight.

Yeah, RDM has a couple oGCDs for damage they can fire off, but it's basically use on cooldown anyways since they don't stack. Instant cast spells (e.g. swiftcast) do not proc doublecast though.

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Miqo'te

Yeah, RDM has a couple oGCDs for damage they can fire off, but it's basically use on cooldown anyways since they don't stack. Instant cast spells (e.g. swiftcast) do not proc doublecast though.
    I don't have RDM at 80 yet, but the tricky thing seems to be that swiftcast is a pure DPS increase, so it should be used as often as possible, but you also kinda need to use it for movement sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.