As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay, this will take a little context.

You know those 'drop the brush' videos that are all over the place? The whole template with people passing off to one another at a distance, which people are dressing up for, or getting into costume, or stunt people are beating the shit out of one another across the globe?

Someone made one that's pretty damned funny.

Or, at least, I found it funny.

https://www.facebook.com/genregasmic/videos/10157299623330920/

Anyways, about 2:30 into the video, there's a clip with a guy playing a board game, but nobody I know can identify it.

Maybe it's something entirely made up, to avoid a copyright strike or something. Maybe it's a prototype the video folks have been working on. Or maybe it's just something I don't recognize.

So, thread, I ask you, can anyone identify this game?

hv68zhefe02y.jpg

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Forar I also found the video hilarious, I made sure to show my wife as well!

I did notice the game, but couldn't ID it from the couple times I watched it. Those player screens do look like they're legit pieces from something published but I'm not familiar with them to have an idea where from.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    @Forar BarBEARian Battlegrounds: https://greenbriergames.itch.io/barbearians-battlegrounds-printplay

You can see the player screen from your capture in a couple of their images.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/244267/barbearian-battlegrounds

Ketar on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Pandemic Legacy Season 2: November
    We actually pulled it off!
    Read the legacy deck and got our new objective. We thought there was no way we would get all four recons done in one game, but definitely felt like we could get all but the red and just knock it out quickly in the second half.
    However, we had 4 things on our side, that really made this game almost trivial.
    1: One of our players had the ability to recon with one fewer card.
    2: We used 3 upgrades for player cards to give them the red color in addition to their original after October.
    3: We gave the player upgrade to a second player to discard a player card to get a city card from the discard.
    4: We had 5 monitor radio channels left.

We had blue from the start. We got black and yellow by turn 8, and red by turn 10 but just needed to survive to turn 13.
    We connected Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo, Manilla, and Bangkok.
    Our player with the recon ability basically moved to Shanghai and never left. Pulling players to her to grab cards (perfect combo of special abilities), or having them transmitted from radio towers.
    We used monitor 3 times and each time discarded and epidemic, so we only ever had two take effect during the course of the game.
    The only time it got iffy was turns 9-12, as we ignored the world and moved red cards to our recon character, we went from 2 incidents to 7. This was due to a monitor that discarded an epidemic, but then drawing an epidemic that turn anyway. Very nearly lost, but a hollow men gather card kept us from that last plague cube.

Whew. Next game night is next Thursday, and potentially finish off this game and story! Looking forward to seeing how this wraps up! And how we did compared to other groups. So far we've lost 3 times, but this last game took our forsaken (0) cities from 8 to 13.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    @Forar BarBEARian Battlegrounds: https://greenbriergames.itch.io/barbearians-battlegrounds-printplay

You can see the player screen from your capture in a couple of their images.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/244267/barbearian-battlegrounds

Thank you!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Humble Bundle has one hell of a deal, including Steam's versions of Patchwork, Mysterium, Small World 2, Potion Explosion (ehh, go play Bejeweled), Twilight Struggle and others. Mysterium was a big hit with my friends last night.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Humble Bundle has one hell of a deal, including Steam's versions of Patchwork, Mysterium, Small World 2, Potion Explosion (ehh, go play Bejeweled), Twilight Struggle and others. Mysterium was a big hit with my friends last night.

Does everybody need to own a copy to play? Or can you host for people?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

Does everybody need to own a copy to play? Or can you host for people?

Everybody needs a copy to play, and they need to make an Asmodee account. My friends had to make Asmodee accounts on the fly. But it also allows crossplay between Steam and mobile devices if you do. It took my friends less than five minutes to set this up.

Mysterium can get hilarious when two players are married. Its like they're OP.

Our fun night was the product of my friends forming ranks and buying the bundle together. I'm not even the one responcible, it was a friend I had a massive crush on rounding up her friends.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Sheol just launched on kickstarter. Looks very much like Destiny But Humanity Lost: The Boardgame.

is reel purty

edit: jesus the wandering child mini is creepy as heck

Magic Pink on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Sheol just launched on kickstarter. Looks very much like Destiny But Humanity Lost: The Boardgame.

is reel purty

Totally backing that.

As far as other projects go, Etherfields' late pledge closes on May 20th. I have no idea what that game is about.

When it comes to late pledges, I'm leaning toward Arkeis. Such a beautiful looking dungeon crawler with legacy elements and a cool theme. Isofarian Guard/b] was up there for awhile, but the combat looks unbelievably slow and tedious.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Arkeis looks really neat but Ankama is not a company to give money to lightly. Their quality runs at about a C-

Arkeis looks really neat but Ankama is not a company to give money to lightly. Their quality runs at about a C-

Awww, I hadn't heard that before. Now I'm bummed and conflicted, because Arkeis looks right up our alley. What about Ankama is a red flag?

I think I'll pass on Etherfields after all. Tainted Grail is already a beast of a game, and I kind of want to get more content for it now that the pledge manager has opened back up.

Dashui wrote: »

Awww, I hadn't heard that before. Now I'm bummed and conflicted, because Arkeis looks right up our alley. What about Ankama is a red flag?

I think I'll pass on Etherfields after all. Tainted Grail is already a beast of a game, and I kind of want to get more content for it now that the pledge manager has opened back up.

Very shoddy balance and gameplay and almost no customer service.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Y'all are missing out. I looked at KS for the first time in months today, and stumbled upon Minigolf Designer, which honestly looks like a beefier version of Kingdomino with an excellent use of theme to influence the scoring system. It's criminal how little attention it's getting because it's not the usual super-flashy KS megaproject (and the art style is a little scattered and hit-or-miss, but the tiles look phenomenal so big shrug).

ArcticLancer on
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular

is reel purty

Either the writing or the translation on that pitch needs some serious work.

Calica wrote: »

is reel purty

Either the writing or the translation on that pitch needs some serious work.

oh definitely. any KS located in non-English speaking Europe seems to place the importance of translation dead last and it always amazes me.

I'm apparently late to the party: FFG sleeves are discontinued? Gah! I have so many games with those sleeves, several of which I'm awaiting more content for (Arkham Horror LCG, Tainted Grail). I'm not that crazy where I'd re-sleeve everything, but I'm still really disappointed by this.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Y'all are missing out. I looked at KS for the first time in months today, and stumbled upon Minigolf Designer, which honestly looks like a beefier version of Kingdomino with an excellent use of theme to influence the scoring system. It's criminal how little attention it's getting because it's not the usual super-flashy KS megaproject (and the art style is a little scattered and hit-or-miss, but the tiles look phenomenal so big shrug).

I am tempted to back this. I am a sucker for tile laying games. I think the river/pond tiles should be standard and not a stretch goal.

The tile art looks good, but the promise and client cards are godawful. Mr. Linear looks like the offspring of both Beavis and Butthead. The other weird choice is the 50 point score track. With just the base game, it seems common to score over 150 points. With golf, you normally want the lowest score possible. You would think they would have worked that in. Also, I have seen a ton of tiles, but not a single windmill!

NNID = Zepp914
    edited May 2020
    Pandemic Legacy Season 2 December tonight.

Oh. Wow. Now to try and win.

Edit: Big oof there. The cards were not on our side tonight. Fortunately we didn't do anything drastic or damaging. We got as set up as we could think of doing during this game with permanent upgrades so essentially next game is entirely going to come down to card draw.

Which feels good, kinda, but also if we lose again I feel like it's going to feel worse like there was nothing we could have done better.

Next attempt and final game no matter what is next Thursday.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm apparently late to the party: FFG sleeves are discontinued? Gah! I have so many games with those sleeves, several of which I'm awaiting more content for (Arkham Horror LCG, Tainted Grail). I'm not that crazy where I'd re-sleeve everything, but I'm still really disappointed by this.

I don't know if anything official has been shared, but the gist I've gathered is:

ANA is still realigning things. In this case, Fantasy Flight Supply is shifting over to Gamegenic. The sleeves they make are going to have the same color coding as FF Supply. But I don't think they have talked about if the actual physical manufacturer is changing or not. Most people are assuming the Gamegenic sleeves are going to be different in some way, so for consistency people have been snapping up the FF Supply ones like no one's business.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor wrote: »

I don't know if anything official has been shared, but the gist I've gathered is:

ANA is still realigning things. In this case, Fantasy Flight Supply is shifting over to Gamegenic. The sleeves they make are going to have the same color coding as FF Supply. But I don't think they have talked about if the actual physical manufacturer is changing or not. Most people are assuming the Gamegenic sleeves are going to be different in some way, so for consistency people have been snapping up the FF Supply ones like no one's business.

I've read they're about 2mm shorter. FFG cards are overly tall, so that could be nice, but it also means if I intermix them (for something like Arkham Horror LCG) my decks won't be consistent.

I've backed Hel for a dollar. I don't know if I'll actually go through with a full pledge. The more I learn about Mythic Games the more I'm convinced to hold off: numerous unfulfilled or mismanaged products and poorly-written, lore updates. Additionally, I've finally played several chapters of Tainted Grail. Oh my, I love it. Two additional, 30-hour campaigns are yet to come this year as part of their stretch goals. I may just invest in more bits and bobs instead.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm well known for being bad with money. Just ask around the D&D chat thread.

... I bought in to the Power Rangers game. It's co-op, it has awesome minis, it scratches a very nostalgic itch for me....

and I keep telling myself it's perfect fodder to practice minis painting with.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

... I bought in to the Power Rangers game. It's co-op, it has awesome minis, it scratches a very nostalgic itch for me....

It's great fun! I love how it all feels very nostalgic but still modern at the same time.
    And the next phase happens to be on Kickstarter right now...

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636

It's great fun! I love how it all feels very nostalgic but still modern at the same time.
    And the next phase happens to be on Kickstarter right now...

Yeaaaaaahhhh.... I bought the last is bundle from my local store and pre-ordered the psycho rangers stuff while at it.

I think the only piece I don't have in the pipeline is bulk and skull.

I'm glad to hear the game is actually fun. Earlier this year I broke down and started picking up Imperial Assault, but there are a lot more pieces to that. Still. The two games share a designer, so that is encouraging.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    SdJ nominees

SdJ: My City (Knizia)
    Nova Luna (Rosenberg)
    Pictures (Stohr)

Kennerspiel: Cartographers (Adan)
    The Crew (Sing)
    The King's Dilemma (Hach and Silva)

Kinderspiel: Hedgehog Roll (Sulinskas)
    Foto Fish (Kallauch)
    Wir sind die Roboter (Stauper)

I have played The Crew and think it's a great game. I've heard of Cartographers.

I looked up My City and it's basically FITS Legacy, which now I'm pretty excited about the English release of.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I actually found Cartographers kind of underwhelming. For me it suffered a bit from having too few cards with too little variety given how specific those cards are, and that the goal scoring isn't fun because of a combination of the first point and the order that things are scored in. "Welp, we never score water or fields again so those cards are dead draws and not particularly interesting to place. Good thing there are only a bunch of them."
    Far from the worst roll and write, but doesn't shine nearly as bright as the best.

ArcticLancer on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Someone who frequents my FLGS launched his first KS today and funded in 1.5 hours (he was only looking for 2K, but hey: goals are goals). I did some playtesting early on and the game is a solid 2P duel. He doesn't have any stretch goals so anything extra is just that, but if you want to check it out the game is "HERO: the Card Game" (because just searching for "Hero" is an exercise in pointlessness).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I like a kickstarter that is modest. I respect it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    As expected War of Whispers is back on Kickstarter with an updated second edition that looks like it fixes some of the graphic design problems on the board and an expansion.

Looks like the SUSD hype effect lasted long enough to make sure it was very well funded instantly

I'm torn. I keep buying things that promise to be GoT the boardgame and they're always meh

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    As expected War of Whispers is back on Kickstarter with an updated second edition that looks like it fixes some of the graphic design problems on the board and an expansion.

Looks like the SUSD hype effect lasted long enough to make sure it was very well funded instantly

I'm torn. I keep buying things that promise to be GoT the boardgame and they're always meh

The solution is stop buying GOT games and just make a raven puppet.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

The solution is stop buying GOT games and just make a raven puppet.

my favorite part about this is that there are multiple actual GOT boardgames

The game looks good, but I am not backing this one as there is some clear bullshit involved. One would expect the deluxe edition would just have better tokens/miniatures, but it also gets 20 extra cards. From what I understand of the rules, the extra cards can be extremely helpful. They are basically adding game features in the deluxe edition. If they broke the 20 cards out as an "expansion" and made that $3 more, it wouldn't be as terrible. If you aren't interested in the components, but want the cards, an extra $20 is crazy.

NNID = Zepp914
    edited May 2020
    Tonight we finish Pandemic Season 2. Win or lose.
    I really hope we win because we're 10-4 right now and losing the final game when we've got a good setup going into it will feel so bad.

I'm also looking forward to being done because we're all kinda burned out on legacy games.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I really hope we win because we're 10-4 right now and losing the final game when we've got a good setup going into it will feel so bad.

I'm also looking forward to being done because we're all kinda burned out on legacy games.

We were like one move away from winning December. The hoops they make you jump through for a successful run are frankly a bit ridiculous (moreso than S1 IMO) so don't beat yourselves up too much if you fall.

Good luck; we're all counting on you.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »

We were like one move away from winning December. The hoops they make you jump through for a successful run are frankly a bit ridiculous (moreso than S1 IMO) so don't beat yourselves up too much if you fall.

Good luck; we're all counting on you.
    Yeah, the drop a card of each color to move, and having to get to Johannesburg is a bit ridiculous. Here's what we did in early December though:
    Permanent supply center in Johannesburg (after connecting it to Dar Es Salaam).
    Sea route from New Mumbai to Dar Es Salaam (it originally connected to the haven, which wouldn't work).
    Sea route from Shanghai to Manilla to Ho Chi Minh city, due to the red lines keeping a direct single sea route from working.

So we've got a character with the upgrade to move anywhere by using a single player card from a haven or supply center. He's our drug mule. He can turn 1 get into the city with the cure. He also has no scars, and only 1 exposure scratched off, so shouldn't immediately die. The other three characters will set up a red radio tower and funnel cards to him using that and the other permanent towers.

We need 4 red cards, 2 black, 1 yellow, and 1 blue. Red is going to be the difficult one, but we've got 1 monitor left to dig up 4 cards from the player deck, and one character with the ability to dig cards out of the discard. We may connect new red cities just to jump start that because that's honestly going to be the hard part. We've got shelters in all cities on the route with rats except one, but he shouldn't need to stop and stay there. It's just getting through Utopia which will likely have hollow men that could be difficult.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited May 2020
    Pandemic Legacy Season 2: Won! The world is saved!
    We did it! We won!

Here's our final board:
    ARAl84Dl.jpg

Here are our characters:
    kMij1bpl.jpg

We scored 681.

Recap:
    The starting cards were not kind. No red. We connected Osaka to get one from the discard pile on turn 3, but this meant we would have to wait until turn 8 for a chance to start the trip to Johannesburg.
    Got a second red on turn 4, so we decided to go ahead and plan to start on turn 8, as two reds would at least use his whole turn (move, self - infect, move, move) and get him through utopia.
    Got a third red on turn 5, so now things are looking up.

First epidemic came out on turn four, and we planned for this and wanted this so hollow men would be placed and keep incidents less likely.
    Second epidemic though came out on turn 6, which was not good as this is when we needed to start paying attention and trying to stop incidents. Not enough hollow men got shuffled back in and we moved up to 3 incidents and a lot of empty cities.

Turn 8 move to Shanghai after self infect. We're planning how to get a yellow and red to him, but we need a second black and there's no way to do it. He'll have to stop in Kolkata on turn 12, which means we need to survive until turn 16.

The rest of us are trying to move around and drop cubes, but some of these cities are out in edges of our routes. Paris, St Petersburg, Seoul. The epidemics are also removing cubes and then hitting those same cities, making things worse.

We get the third red card to him, and I get cubes into Sao Paolo which was empty. The others restock Baghdad and St Petersburg. Turn 12 he delivers to Seoul while he's nearby (special power to deliver to adjacent). He also uses our last monitor to try and discard the next epidemic. This turned out to be a mistake as it actually caused it. This put us 4 incidents from losing. Then finishes his turn in Kolkata.

Turn 13 I send the last black card he needs to him, then drop cubes into London. At this point we just need to survive until his next turn, so it's mitigation of any cities that could be incidents. Turn 14 we get cubes into Paris. Turn 15 sees cubes in Baghdad and another epidemic. However, we're only drawing three cards so even if all were incidents, we'd still get our next turn, and there's only 2 possible cities for incidents anyway. We'd gotten very lucky with hollow men draws the last three turns, even though they'd been getting clumped up for the past 8 turns which put us in this mess.

Final turn he makes his way to Johannesburg! We win!

Final game and end scoring thoughts
    For as set up as we were, that took longer than I would have liked! We'd often won or lost by turn 15 in most of our games, sometimes having lost by turn 12. So needing to get to turn 16 was daunting. We had hoped for a lot of hollow men draws, trying to allow the first epidemic to happen to get them in there. More hollow men means fewer cubes being removed, however, it turned out more 50/50 I think in the end, when it should have been closer to 80% hollow men, just due to the shuffle and epidemic timing after the first. We tried to use the last monitor ability to correct that, and ended up messing ourselves up further.

I'm really curious how others did that month. Maybe it wasn't as hard, but I feel like we had as close to a direct route as possible, needing only two turns of movement. I don't know how you'd accomplish it if you needed more than that. Red cards are just so scarce by the end.

I will say I'm pretty disappointed in our final score. We allowed for a lot of forsaken cities out of necessity through the game, and they ended up costing us over 100 points. For finishing with a record of 11-4, I feel like we did pretty poorly. Hope to read/watch up and see how others did.

Also, the difference between delivering the final sample or not, and how it affected the narrative for your score was pretty useless. There wasn't much difference, and it wasn't even like they changed the scaling if you did or didn't deliver. You just got the extra 100 points which means I guess you should have scored higher if you did, but we spent so many actions and sacrificed cities to prep for that delivery it may have cost us more by the time we did it. I dunno, winning was great, but the victory felt hollow in the narrative.

I would have liked to see more about why Utopia was being self-destructive to the world, or what changed with them once we had accomplished this. Or even something about the hollow men.

Still, I enjoyed the experience.

Full game thoughts (still spoilers, so this is not a review if you haven't played)
    I think this was a better legacy game than the first. There was more going on and more changes and things than just Pandemic with some slight changes. However, I think the first season was a better game.

This game had so many tweaks by the end that it started to unravel about halfway through. Games could really end up in a downward spiral you couldn't recover from and those changes would make progressing and winning just that much harder. I know the first could have as well, with cities rioting and such, but since it started as a full game most had played already, it had an advantage. This starts as a very weird version that begins to bolt on changes.

I feel like the story was neat. I loved how they tied it into season 1. Though not as thrilled that our success was actually the cause of this problem. Makes winning season 1 kinda not as good. But that's OK because you already did play it and tbe memories were fantastic. I didn't see it coming that we were the children of the faded. That was a good twist.
    I felt the story took a little too long to get started in the first 6 months, but then it stalled at Kolkata too long in the middle. Part of this is our own problem of not searching and getting the recon info, but part of that is just the way the game plays. You can't count on getting a specific card or having the action economy to search it when you made it an objective and there's a limited amount of cards with searches. This meant we only did that objective when we could and had two searches available. So we didn't search as much as they probably hoped we would. We ended up getting the objective to search east Asia, because we didn't find it naturally. This meant we spent the last few months in a rush, trying to catch up and connect red cities for the sudden need of them for recon objectives. This left us with less time and resources to keep other cities supplied. I just feel that could have been written better, or should have been revealed or pushed for us to do a month or two sooner.

The dwindling resources were a great method of making us panic. I just feel like perhaps they could have redirected our objectives a bit more than they did. They probably should have changed up the 3 supply centers mandatory goal sooner. Perhaps made recon or searching mandatory, and 2 supply centers instead of three. The last few recons, out of Jakarta and the Australian haven, seemed pointless. We likely would have never done them if we didn't end up with extra actions in the first game of December. Once we figured we couldn't win, and we changed pace to just prep for the second half, one of our players ended up with extra red cards and could recon with 1 fewer card. So she went down there and did the recons. If we had gotten the cards a few turns sooner, and attempted (and potentially won) the first half of December, we would have never even opened up those areas of the map. Also, perhaps I missed it, but there was no way to draw paths through the Pacific ocean? That seemed odd as well.

EDIT: Oh! And what was with the purple haze around the indian ocean?! That was never addressed or filled in with a sticker. I had hoped there was something cool there, but it looks like it was just the "fallout" you're told about in April. Basically keeps you from using the charter boat action to draw a path via sea lanes from red to anywhere else.

Anyway, I think that's all I can currently think of about the game. I liked it. I liked the legacy elements. I think it struggled a bit towards the second half and rushed the ending as a result. It was worth the time and money though for the experience and being able to include my friend's new wife into our gaming group, as she wasn't around when we did season 1.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Extracting non-spoiler from final analysis:
    I think this was a better legacy game than the first. There was more going on and more changes and things than just Pandemic with some slight changes. However, I think the first season was a better game.

Yeah, this is the consensus from what I can tell. S2 did a lot of neat things that leaned into the Legacy aspect but lost track of actual gameplay somewhere along the way.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    I think that lines up pretty well with my experiences as well. It's why I'm hopeful for S3. Maybe they can blend both.

edited May 2020
    Pandemic Legacy Season 2: Won! The world is saved!

Final game and end scoring thoughts

Here is our score if you are interested. We tossed our copy, so I don't have the board to compare to yours. We lost twice in February and once in September.
    We had 125 population, no forsaken cities, and ended with a score of 885. We blew most of our end of game points on character upgrades and population. There were only 3 cities on the board that we never attached to the grid. We didn't attach Denver, Bogota, and I think Tokyo. Not sure on the last one.

We would have lost June, July, and October if the Hollow men gathers cards didn't prevent us from placing a cube. The hollow men were the MVPs of our campaign!

We did much better in Season 2 then Season 1. Our mistake in season 1 was
    not finishing the last fucking search. We should have lost whatever month that was on purpose, but that didn't seem thematic to me. The group was super pissed about it in retrospect. It was the only thing we didn't like about Season 1.

We had 4 players for Season 1, but only 3 for Season 2. That may have also made Season 2 easier. I have probably said it countless times, but Season 1 is the better game, Season 2 is the better experience. I would replay #1, but not #2.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
    edited May 2020
    Reading a LOT of threads now on BGG, and I think I found what I missed during this game. This game was story-driven.

Pandemic, and Season 1, was driven by objectives. You knew what you had to do based on what the game told you to do via the objectives.

Season 2 isn't entirely like that. The objectives are how you win, but the game is actually driven by the story cards that are revealed to you. We didn't pay enough attention to them. And I'm leaving this open and not under a spoiler because I feel that would have greatly improved our game and even my feelings on it.

edit: And now I can go back and read all of your posts that are under spoiler tags! :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png