As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Michigan Politics: Dem Trifecta!!!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Whitmer remains broadly popular. Also the state announced a 22.7% unemployment rate for April.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfrJzdx7DA

Youtube's recommendations got a little on point and morbid today.

I assume Dow will get the "oh no we couldn't have possssssibly foreseen that putting our stuff there would be a problem" handwave excuse for leaking shit.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    "Boy we didn't think that would happen a fourth time. We sure do have egg on our face. Guess we'll have to buy a few thousand more acres at pennies on the dollar and not pay taxes on it. The good news is there's definitely no way it could possibly happen a fifth time."

Hevach on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfrJzdx7DA

Youtube's recommendations got a little on point and morbid today.

I assume Dow will get the "oh no we couldn't have possssssibly foreseen that putting our stuff there would be a problem" handwave excuse for leaking shit.

I fucking lost it at the part where they mention already adding a name to the memorial.

"My grave won’t matter because they’ll never find my body"

shryke on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    My favorite was the artist talking about the Classic American Style of the monument to reflect the classic American Historical National Tragedy

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I don't know much about your Secretary of State, but I know she's whipping that trump clowns ass.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    She's good people.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqPCJfKULgs

Saturday Night Live did a segment where Cecily Strong played Gov. Whitmer, giving a message out to her constituents. I thought it was pretty good, but what did the governor think of it?

The only problem she had with it was they got her beer wrong. She's shown drinking a Labatt's during the sketch, but she prefers Michigan breweries like Bell's- like in the care package she sent Cecily that was full of good Michigan beer (like Bell's Oberon).

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Please no Founders though they were milkshake ipa duck’d

• Options
    10 person gatherings, in person medical/dental visits, and auto sale by appointment (we're still Michigan!) no longer prohibited.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Trump doesn't wear a mask at the Ford plant. (Away from the camera he did *cough* supposedly *cough*)
    Michigan AG calls him out for it.
    Trump goes on a twitter spree.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Trump doesn't wear a mask at the Ford plant. (Away from the camera he did *cough* supposedly *cough*)

Didn't someone get a picture of him in the mask? Or was that from somewhere else?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

I hope they send him a ticket, at the very least

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Didn't someone get a picture of him in the mask? Or was that from somewhere else?

Yeah TMZ has a picture of him with the mask on.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    So, I was wondering: how much money were we talking about with these dams? They've been deficient for decades, and for sale forever, the owner was as recently as the week before the flood suing the state to be allowed to delay repairs until a buyer is found who is willing to foot the bill.

The owner claims that he derives no benefit from the dams except for several million dollars per year Consumers pays him for electricity and the event parking fees on his land around them and so on.l, so the people who live on the lake should pay for the repairs. A deal to buy the dams fell through just last year because the buyer was told Mueller would do the repairs and found out at the last minute he was in fact on the hook.

Wow, must be millions and millions and millions of dollars. Must be a crushing value beyond the means of this self proclaimed billionaire (who probably isn't but is still very rich). A price beyond the dreams of avarice and the hopes of gods and kings.

As of 2011, this monumental bill was.... $83,000 for the larger of the two dams.

https://www.mlive.com/midland/2011/01/sanford_dam_owner_says_hes_not_paying_for_83000_repair_project.html

Now, nine years later this number has probably grown but that was already a decade too late and this could ave been dealt with for chump change even then.

A full time worker with decent credit and no mortgage could get a fucking loan to cover this shit, but noooo let's just sink Atlantis instead of paying the damn bills.

A lot of things have made me angry the last four years but I don't know why this is the worst.

Hevach on
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    So, I was wondering: how much money were we talking about with these dams? They've been deficient for decades, and for sale forever, the owner was as recently as the week before the flood suing the state to be allowed to delay repairs until a buyer is found who is willing to foot the bill.

The owner claims that he derives no benefit from the dams except for several million dollars per year Consumers pays him for electricity and the event parking fees on his land around them and so on.l, so the people who live on the lake should pay for the repairs. A deal to buy the dams fell through just last year because the buyer was told Mueller would do the repairs and found out at the last minute he was in fact on the hook.

Wow, must be millions and millions and millions of dollars. Must be a crushing value beyond the means of this self proclaimed billionaire (who probably isn't but is still very rich). A price beyond the dreams of avarice and the hopes of gods and kings.

As of 2011, this monumental bill was.... $83,000 for the larger of the two dams.

https://www.mlive.com/midland/2011/01/sanford_dam_owner_says_hes_not_paying_for_83000_repair_project.html

Now, nine years later this number has probably grown but that was already a decade too late and this could ave been dealt with for chump change even then.

A full time worker with decent credit and no mortgage could get a fucking loan to cover this shit, but noooo let's just sink Atlantis instead of paying the damn bills.

A lot of things have made me angry the last four years but I don't know why this is the worst.

I have extended family that, I guess, both had their house flood and then lost their "lakefront" as a result of this? I don't know, I have their numbers blocked on my phone so I wasn't getting the whole story from the group text that I also wasn't reading.

Best part is that they blame Whitmer personally.

But they also introduced themselves to my now wife with a diatribe about Obama being the literal reincarnation of Hitler and how the Pope needs to smite him with the power of God, so...

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Sadly like so many of THOSE people (by which I mean fodder for the conspiracy theory thread) they'll never accept that the opposite is so much closer to the truth. The money Mueller refused to spend on his dams is apparently less than he donated to Trump.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    So I read Whitmer is in talks to be Biden's VP? Didn't sound close but talks had started. How does that work? Does Michigan hold an emergency election? or does the Lt. Governor take over?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    She's under consideration. Lt. Governor would take over if she were nominated and they won.

• Options
    It would explain why she's currently getting raked over the coals for a really, really stupid joke her husband made to a dock owner- then again, trying to stick it to Whitmer is a great way to try and suck up to Donnie the Clown. I mean, guys, really- COVID is still ravaging the state, and you're going to focus on a stupid fucking joke instead of doing your goddamned jobs?

In other news... Michigan Secretary of State offices will re-open on June 1 for services by appointment only. (Source here).

We're also getting a bill proposed for allowing bars and restaurants to deliver alcohol and to create "public alcohol consumption areas" outdoors where people can stand around and drink.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    It would explain why she's currently getting raked over the coals for a really, really stupid joke her husband made to a dock owner- then again, trying to stick it to Whitmer is a great way to try and suck up to Donnie the Clown. I mean, guys, really- COVID is still ravaging the state, and you're going to focus on a stupid fucking joke instead of doing your goddamned jobs?

In other news... Michigan Secretary of State offices will re-open on June 1 for services by appointment only. (Source here).

We're also getting a bill proposed for allowing bars and restaurants to deliver alcohol and to create "public alcohol consumption areas" outdoors where people can stand around and drink.

...so Government issued brown paper bags?

• Options
    Get your 40-concealing bag branded in the colors of your favorite directional Michigan

• Options
    Detroit released their preliminary plan to open up the schools. The union still has to respond to it.

The highlights:

Students in all grades would be required to wear masks.
    Screening 50,000 students with temperature checks across 100 buildings.
    All staff will be required to test negative for COVID-19 within 14 days of starting summer school.
    Shortened school day — six hours instead of the traditional seven to 7.5 hours.
    Classes would be limited to 20 students in one room at a time.
    Auditoriums and cafeterias would be repurposed as classrooms to allow for maximum social distancing.
    High school students would attend in-person class on alternating weeks.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    That is...not at all feasible.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I love my kids, but a 6 year old wearing a mask all day is a laughable requirement. It's not gonna happen.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    I love my kids, but a 6 year old wearing a mask all day is a laughable requirement. It's not gonna happen.

I am surprised by the lack of ninja and superhero themed masks for kids.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    mRahmani wrote: »

I am surprised by the lack of ninja and superhero themed masks for kids.

I'm a bit bothered every time I have to go out and there's a whole family there - mom, dad, kids.

Even if they are all wearing masks, it's like 'you know, only one of you needs to come in the store'...really not many places you should need to take your kids unless you're like a single parent. I wonder if it's better to leave your kids with another caregiver for an extended period of time vs. taking them into a public space with a mask.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    That's been a hard one for me. The kids love coming along for short rides with me ("Can we come pick up the pizza? PLEEEEEEZ?") and it sucks telling them no. I don't get a ton of time with them and it was a small thing we would do together.

Working from home hasn't really been a huge plus in that area since I'm basically chained to my PC. And I'm back at work now anyway, at least ~50% of the time.

• Options
    There is no chance in hell of that schedule surviving more than one fucking day.

My sister's refusing to let her kid go back to school until we have a vaccine for COVID. It just takes one fucking case, and you have a disaster.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Welp, Bloomfield Hills Schools is anticipating a $700/pupil cut. If Bloomfield Hills is going to face a massive shortfall the rest of the state is fuuuuuuuucked. I think I have enough seniority to survive and not enough seniority that they'll be aggressive about a buyout. But eeeeeeek.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Defund the police? That’s radical talk and we won’t hear a second of it.

Defund the schools? I mean, obviously, there’s a pandemic! We won’t see the full negative effects of this decision for like 10 years anyways! Screw kids!

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Welp, Bloomfield Hills Schools is anticipating a $700/pupil cut. If Bloomfield Hills is going to face a massive shortfall the rest of the state is fuuuuuuuucked. I think I have enough seniority to survive and not enough seniority that they'll be aggressive about a buyout. But eeeeeeek.

Here in Ann Arbor we thankfully passed a 20 year / $1B bond just last year for our school infrastructure.

With the district looking at lots of virtual / blended options through next year at least, and potentially into the future - I'm wondering how much of that money will need to go into new buildings and capacity that were planned. If they go to the A(MonTues)-B(ThurFri) or week A-week B rotations they are proposing, even with social distancing and smaller class sizes you should be able to avoid any major new construction.

I'm worried for a lot of my kids (4th grade) classmates...only about 1/3 of her classmates were participating in their daily calls and activities, and not surprisingly most of the kids who missed the calls were the ones who probably needed it the most. My sister worked during the day and her boyfriend can't work technology (literally brags about never sending an email or using the internet in his life) so my nephew in Kindergarten basically spent the past three months playing Minecraft in their apartment with no class activities or socialization. Kids are resilient, but that's going to be a setback...

• Options
    edited June 2020
    https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/06/michigan-cut-off-unemployment-for-thousands-of-eligible-residents-its-not-the-first-time.html

The hundreds of thousands of fraudulent unemployment claims in Michigan seem to be... uh... somewhat less fraudulent than previously determined. The UIA just connects people trying to clear up the mistake with each other instead of workers to give them somebody to yell at.

Looks like they're using MiDAS again, the unemployment fraud detection algorithm so famously fucked up that not only did it have a 93% false positive AND even higher false negative rate (it was so bad on audit after the big fuckup when it launched that it was suggested they just flip all its decisions the other way) but it managed to flag thousands of people who weren't never even collected unemployment (and who UIA still has not adequately explained why they even have files on).

Hevach on
  • Options
    Whitmer says schools will reopen in the fall for in person learning but doesn't know what that's going to look like yet. And nobody has any idea on budgets. WHEEEEEE

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Whitmer says schools will reopen in the fall for in person learning but doesn't know what that's going to look like yet. And nobody has any idea on budgets. WHEEEEEE

Why are teachers always spreading negativity with all these questions? Just be adaptable and responsive to student needs in a collaborative learner-centered environment using multiple individualized delivery strategies. Shared sacrifice will enable us to succeed in this unprecedented environment. :)

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »

Why are teachers always spreading negativity with all these questions? Just be adaptable and responsive to student needs in a collaborative learner-centered environment using multiple individualized delivery strategies. Shared sacrifice will enable us to succeed in this unprecedented environment. :)

Absolutely. Maybe some sort of organized structure that requires everyone to bear the financial costs of educating the next generation. And to be fair, the people most able to afford to do so could contribute more, so that everyone gets an education, and this generation can be gainfully employed, allowing more money to flow into the economy.

Just don't raise my fucking taxes!

• Options
    enc0re wrote: »

Points for effort, but "multiple individualized" should have been "highly differentiated."

• Options
    Got more of the stupid Whitmer is a tyrant Facebook shit on our township group. Another person to hide forever.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Just dig up one of the maps showing Michigan as one of the few states not to have massively rising Covid cases to post. Not that they'd care, most people are just venting or trolling without reason.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45