As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the empty arena wrestling thread

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Whippy wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I still don't really know what Heels is?

would you like to pay twenty dollars for the privilege of finding out

no, and let me tell you, twenty dollars has not been enough to stop me from plenty of dumb shit

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    My guess is either:
    - ten minute video interviews on their youtube of each women's wrestler.
    - clothing line

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I was sad to see Adam Page back last night. I think that's a real waste.

You could have kept him home for a fuckin' year and let him out the second it was safe to have crowds again, and the place would have erupted. There would be 911 calls from two states over because they heard a loud noise and they're not sure if the Rapture has started or what the fuck.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I still don't really know what Heels is?

AEW Divas division.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I like the in-joke using "heels", but I thought women wrestling was hoping to get away from the 90s era of women mostly being treated as valets to the ring or t&a.

Like, I'm not a big fan of that branding.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think that AEW having, like, a designated community just for its female fans isn't a bad thing on its own. Wrestling is heavily dominated by dudes so it is a decent idea to have a space for women.

BUT

A combo of charging for the "privilege" of finding out what the fuck it even is, the general lackluster handling AEW has done with its women's division, Brandi continuing to position herself as the face of AEW's women over the actual wrestlers and the innate exclusion of Enby/Gender fluid folks by billing it as FOR WOMEN, NOT MEN, THE ONLY TWO OPTIONS makes me fuckin hate this implementation of it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I still get hung up on the word "community."

Like to corporate America, that's fucking anything.

I'm kinda just befuddled that they're charging money for people to find out what exactly this nebulous product is. The only way that makes sense to me is if that is, in fact, the product. Getting on a zoom meeting with AEW women for an hour and AMA'ing the lot of them.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    heels gonna be another youtube show you will be expected to watch to know what the heck is going on/another excuse to not develop any non-britt baker women's storyline on dynamite

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

I'm kinda just befuddled that they're charging money for people to find out what exactly this nebulous product is. The only way that makes sense to me is if that is, in fact, the product. Getting on a zoom meeting with AEW women for an hour and AMA'ing the lot of them.

That seems like a good way to let the sleaziest/scummiest section of the AEW fan base have better access to the women.

Hell, I would imagine that is a sizable portion of the people handing over money to find out what Heels is.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    The most likely speculation I’ve seen is that Heels was originally supposed to be an in-person thing before Double or Nothing and they had to tap dance a bit to adapt it to the no-fans thing.

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »

That seems like a good way to let the sleaziest/scummiest section of the AEW fan base have better access to the women.

Hell, I would imagine that is a sizable portion of the people handing over money to find out what Heels is.

I was afraid to say it, but I was thinking it. $20 cover charge for pervy dudes to stare at AEW women live for an hour.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    heels gonna be another youtube show you will be expected to watch to know what the heck is going on/another excuse to not develop any non-britt baker women's storyline on dynamite

Am I the only one that really doesn't care for Britt? She's good in the ring, but not in a way that keeps my interest and I'm basically done caring about her story at all. I think they really need to add a second women's belt or tag belts to add a give a damn factor to some of the matches.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Am I the only one that really doesn't care for Britt? She's good in the ring, but not in a way that keeps my interest and I'm basically done caring about her story at all. I think they really need to add a second women's belt or tag belts to add a give a damn factor to some of the matches.

I've become a big fan of her sine she turned heel.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Britt is better as a heel than when she signed on as a babyface, but her matches still show how green she is. She has improved over time, but I think it will be a while before I stop thinking about how bad a spot looked instead of appreciating the match she's giving.

To be fair though, that is a lot of the women's division of AEW. When was the last time you saw a match not involving Shida or Statlander? Swole and Ford get some air time and Nyla is current champion. Everyone else is rarely seen, or a squash of local talent. Haven't seen Mel much since the end of the Nightmare Collection either.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Britt is better as a heel than when she signed on as a babyface, but her matches still show how green she is. She has improved over time, but I think it will be a while before I stop thinking about how bad a spot looked instead of appreciating the match she's giving.

To be fair though, that is a lot of the women's division of AEW. When was the last time you saw a match not involving Shida or Statlander? Swole and Ford get some air time and Nyla is current champion. Everyone else is rarely seen, or a squash of local talent. Haven't seen Mel much since the end of the Nightmare Collection either.

Well, at the Georgia tapings Shida, Baker, and Ford were the only members of their regular women’s division they had on hand. Now that Nyla, Swole, and Statlander are back that brings them up to 6 (7 if you count Leva Bates). A ton of their more experienced women live outside the US and can’t be there right now.

The biggest issue with AEW’s women is just they need more time. And not just in-ring time, give them promo segments and stuff to establish their personalities as performers.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

[Cody] notes that production wouldn't shut down with a positive test.

gross

My understanding is the tweet really misrepresented what was being said.
    He explained some details about AEW’s coronavirus testing, including how it’s not done inside Daily’s Place. Testing is done under quarantine measures. That way if someone tests positive for COVID-19, production at Daily’s Place would not have to be shut down. Talent and crew are tested in different locations. The idea is to spread out to avoid cross-pollination.

Link

Uproxx says:
    Responding to VultureHound, Cody said he gets his temperature checked first in the parking lot outside of Daily’s Place, then again before he can enter the office. When asked by CBS about AEW’s plan if someone at a show tests positive for COVID-19, Cody gave more details about the testing protocols. “You have scheduled-out blocks for testing,” he said, and the medical staff “are the very first individuals to be tested.”

Cody also said that “there is no cross-pollination” between the different blocks of people being tested, and that the tests aren’t done at Daily’s Place. If there’s a positive result in one of these tests, “you would then get the nose swab test to confirm the positive, or perhaps it was a false positive, but you would not be in proximity to any of the talent, to any of the crew.” The crew and talent also have “their testing measures done elsewhere” in two separate locations, and different doctors test the different testing blocks.

All these precautions mean that, in Cody’s words, “we have it set so it would not shut down the production” if there was a positive test result.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Penelope Ford really needs to get a serious push. Her matches have been great and I like that her and Sabian work as each others managers, too.

Its also hard to tell because they just got squaahed, but the indy people they brought in looked good. I also can't wait for Shanna to be back.

• Options
    Some of the Dark matches with indies were definitely decent. I was pleasantly surprised.

You know what would be a fun push (since I think they were both in the audience Wednesday) - Pineapple Pete and Sonny Kiss as a tag team. I also wouldn't be mad to see the Librarians get a win or two and do a mixed tag match with Ford and Sabian.

• Options
    I continue to seriously despise jobber matches to begin with, but bringing in indy talent to just job as hard as they do most times seriously sucks. Many of these matches have them offer little to no offense whatsoever. It's like they meet in the back to discuss what they're going to do and they're told, "Yeah, okay, sounds cool, but what if you just did absolutely nothing and let Jon Moxley beat the shit out of you for 2 minutes and ring the bell? Also I guess you can throw a punch or two but we'll have him not sell them at all."

For one it really lays out that they have no future at AEW because after all their jobbing they'll need a super serious push if they'd ever sign on full-time. For two these matches are fucking boring as shit and I'm not interested in watching them at all. But I know I'm on an island on that one, it's fine.

• Options
    One thing I think AEW is slightly afraid of is surprise upsets. I completely understand that you can't give an indie guy a win over Moxley, but I do think they could have made Pineapple Pete more competitive against Jericho as a surprise. I think they could have given Orange Cassidy the win this week. I would just like to see more actual surprise outcomes - I don't like him much but actually have Marko Stunt pin someone, have the librarian get a win, hell let Brandan Cutler win a match. I understand the easy shock is outside attacks, broken arms, poked eyes - but having actual matches be slightly less predictable would be more fun for my tastes.

• Options
    Alan Angels has had really competitive matches against Omega, Fenix, and Gueverra where he looked good.

He got so much offense in against Omega it made wrestling journalists flip out.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

[Cody] notes that production wouldn't shut down with a positive test.

gross

My understanding is the tweet really misrepresented what was being said.
    He explained some details about AEW’s coronavirus testing, including how it’s not done inside Daily’s Place. Testing is done under quarantine measures. That way if someone tests positive for COVID-19, production at Daily’s Place would not have to be shut down. Talent and crew are tested in different locations. The idea is to spread out to avoid cross-pollination.

Link

Uproxx says:
    Responding to VultureHound, Cody said he gets his temperature checked first in the parking lot outside of Daily’s Place, then again before he can enter the office. When asked by CBS about AEW’s plan if someone at a show tests positive for COVID-19, Cody gave more details about the testing protocols. “You have scheduled-out blocks for testing,” he said, and the medical staff “are the very first individuals to be tested.”

Cody also said that “there is no cross-pollination” between the different blocks of people being tested, and that the tests aren’t done at Daily’s Place. If there’s a positive result in one of these tests, “you would then get the nose swab test to confirm the positive, or perhaps it was a false positive, but you would not be in proximity to any of the talent, to any of the crew.” The crew and talent also have “their testing measures done elsewhere” in two separate locations, and different doctors test the different testing blocks.

All these precautions mean that, in Cody’s words, “we have it set so it would not shut down the production” if there was a positive test result.

I'm not sure how I feel about them doing shows at all at this point, but if they really have those testing protocols in place, it does sound like they are, at least, taking this seriously.

And just from my own personal observation, it does seem like testing is finally becoming as available as it should have been before re-opening anything was even considered, even out here in flyover country, so that's a plus.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Penelope Ford seems to me like one of the more impressive athletes in the womens division... she had a match during the non-live shows where he had some really nice moves

and I have no idea what her voice even sounds like, so I guess there's something to the "nobody gets to talk except Britt" thing... but also I like Britt

initially her turn to the dark side was a little stale because they'd trot her out with Tony and they'd do the exact same bit like 4 weeks in a row, but it's gotten a little more robust since then and she's been able to be evil in different ways...

i am slightly concerned about her spray tan though.... ease up on that stuff!

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I like jobber matches. Most of the ones on Dynamite have been pretty fun and competitive. It's only monsters that get the outright squash wins. I won't be surprised if Angels gets a job, and you can easily build him up as a firey underdog who eventually gets a big upset win over someone like MJF.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    AJR wrote: »
    I like jobber matches. Most of the ones on Dynamite have been pretty fun and competitive. It's only monsters that get the outright squash wins. I won't be surprised if Angels gets a job, and you can easily build him up as a firey underdog who eventually gets a big upset win over someone like MJF.

I've been waiting for the 123 Kid style upset. It does give those jobber matches a liitle bit of unpredictability. Any roll up could be that pinfall.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Hey, don't look at hana kimura's twitter right now, she's posting some self harm stuff

Hopefully she gets some help

Edit: The tweets have been deleted, sounds like a lot of wrestlers are trying to mobilize to get her some assistance ASAP

still, be careful, you know how people are online about shock value

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    One thing I think AEW is slightly afraid of is surprise upsets. I completely understand that you can't give an indie guy a win over Moxley, but I do think they could have made Pineapple Pete more competitive against Jericho as a surprise. I think they could have given Orange Cassidy the win this week. I would just like to see more actual surprise outcomes - I don't like him much but actually have Marko Stunt pin someone, have the librarian get a win, hell let Brandan Cutler win a match. I understand the easy shock is outside attacks, broken arms, poked eyes - but having actual matches be slightly less predictable would be more fun for my tastes.

I wonder if the fear of surprise outcomes, and plenty of jobbers matches in general, is due to the strong feeling that records and stuff matter. If you have a top or middle tier guy suddenly lose to a no name jobber, it's harder to justify any big matches you might be planning for them later if records really matter.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Magell wrote: »
    AJR wrote: »

I've been waiting for the 123 Kid style upset. It does give those jobber matches a liitle bit of unpredictability. Any roll up could be that pinfall.

I did one of the matches once. It was fun.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    I'm not really looking for upsets or for indy wrestlers to come into AEW and win matches. Though that would be cool here and there. Just mostly wanting to see more offense from jobbers and not see them punch people as hard as they can to only be no-sold. I must have missed the Angel matches somehow or aren't remembering them, they sound great.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Hey, don't look at hana kimura's twitter right now, she's posting some self harm stuff

Hopefully she gets some help

Edit: The tweets have been deleted, sounds like a lot of wrestlers are trying to mobilize to get her some assistance ASAP

still, be careful, you know how people are online about shock value

Was checking reddit for a bit before bed and my heart was almost in my throat when I saw the thread on stardomjoshi.

• Options

Britt being out of DoN sucks, but I’m glad they’re not scratching the match entirely.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Bayley getting caught with her feet on the ropes and then telling the ref "Good job, I was testing you!" actually made me laugh out loud.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I haven't been watching tv wrestling for years, has anyone else been Santino'd since the Miracle in Milan?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Orange Cassidy discovering what a ladder match is https://streamable.com/q1sa5x

• Options
    edited May 2020
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The fact that they had 3 significant injuries in a single episode is

Jesus that's not a great look. I get they happen in wrestling but that is.... a lot.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    The fact that they had 3 significant injuries in a single episode is

Jesus that's not a great look. I get they happen in wrestling but that is.... a lot.

It also acts as an example for why the WWE style exists. Yeah, it's more boring, but wrestlers generally aren't suffering significant injuries, especially on the go-home before a PPV.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
  • Options
    oh my god

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    That is horrible and hit me like a gut punch

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09