As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I made a graphic to post in discord for VR gaming nights but it turns out most people can't do Thursdays. :( No other day will let me do this....
    thursday.png

I can still do VR multiplayer on other days, but what am I going to call it? MoVRay gaming? TVRSDAY gaming? The concept doesn't work.

Speaking of multiplayer, been having a lot of fun in Vox Machinae. I made sure to gift to our small group of friends so we always have someone to play with. But if you start a game up there's usually another player along in less than a minute. Though some of the players are significantly better. We played with one Japanese guy who was able to feather his jump jets and fly the entire round, sniping us with his railgun. But it wasn't oppressive, I wouldn't want every game to be like that, but as a VR experience it was fun ducking and dodging a lethal eye in the sky.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I can still do VR multiplayer on other days, but what am I going to call it? MoVRay gaming? TVRSDAY gaming? The concept doesn't work.

SATVRDAY?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    Ooh. Hadn't thought of that.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Played some Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, really intense and braining a zombie with an angel statue in a terrified panic as I lack another melee weapon was quite a trip.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I want to punch whoever had the bright idea to only allow turning on teleports. As it is, teleporting is already a much more difficult form of locomotion, but only being able to rotate (beyond like, physically turning) at the same time as moving is making me fight the controls more than the enemy.

Which isn't helped by all these viveport games registering the touch controllers as vive wands, which require you to click the thumbsticks for it to register. Supposedly the steam versions of some of these games should detect the controllers properly, but having to fight the controlls this bad is making me not want to actually shell out aditional money for them

steam_sig.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Ooh. Hadn't thought of that.

I mean for me personally, I haven't been able to join many of the VR sessions here, but Saturday would likely be an easier day to play on. But yeah, either way, purely from a logo standpoint it's an option at least!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkUsMaaVExU
    Iron Man VR demo is out on the PS Store. I won't be able to play it for another 6 hours or so but impressions are pretty good.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Spaceteam VR came out yesterday. I only got to play a couple of rounds and it was only with 1 other person, but it's a hoot. It's just plain silly chaos. I'm hoping I can try to join a game that has at least 4 players in it. It's kind of like an amazingly silly version of Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

Each player has their own screen with instructions, so you have to do what it says and if it isn't on your board, you have to shout it out in hopes that someone else hears it, understands the instruction (which is usually "turn X on/off" or "set X to 0/1/2/3") and does it. Every player has their own actions on their panel, and the panel changes each rounds. If you mess up, something on your panel breaks and you have to use a squeaky hammer to fix it. Then if it gets real bad, your panel bursts into flames and you have to put it out, followed by hammer fix. It's pretty funny.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Iron Man VR demo is out on the PS Store. I won't be able to play it for another 6 hours or so but impressions are pretty good.

Wow, that looks like a fantastic use of VR. I wonder how well it works flying around. I find it much less upsetting to my equilibrium to fly around when I'm in something like a craft, so I'm really curious about whether the projected interface will do the same thing.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    I made a graphic to post in discord for VR gaming nights but it turns out most people can't do Thursdays. :( No other day will let me do this....
    thursday.png

Speaking of multiplayer, been having a lot of fun in Vox Machinae. I made sure to gift to our small group of friends so we always have someone to play with. But if you start a game up there's usually another player along in less than a minute. Though some of the players are significantly better. We played with one Japanese guy who was able to feather his jump jets and fly the entire round, sniping us with his railgun. But it wasn't oppressive, I wouldn't want every game to be like that, but as a VR experience it was fun ducking and dodging a lethal eye in the sky.

Damn, I might have to get Vox Machinae after all. What friends list are you on for VM?

I don't know how friends lists work in VM.

I don't know how friends lists work in VM.

Hmm, it looks like it's cross play with Steam to Oculus as well as flat monitor players too https://arthands-vr.com/2018/08/11/vox-machinae-features-crossplay-between-pc-and-vr-details/

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Are there any fun coop VR experiences that aren't as torturous as Tales of Escape?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    templewulf wrote: »
    McFodder wrote: »

Wow, that looks like a fantastic use of VR. I wonder how well it works flying around. I find it much less upsetting to my equilibrium to fly around when I'm in something like a craft, so I'm really curious about whether the projected interface will do the same thing.

It feels a little odd blasting along through the air at full speed and still standing upright, but I got no motion sickness at all from it. Controls felt a lot better to me when I turned off snap turning, and I think the option to switch a few buttons would be handy. Felt like a pretty good compromise between making sure anyone can fly and feel like Iron Man, and putting enough into the controls that better players will be able to get plenty out of it.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Cantido wrote: »
    Are there any fun coop VR experiences that aren't as torturous as Tales of Escape?

Space Team VR just came out. It promises a lot of fun.

In regards to Iron Man, are there any suit up scenes?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

Star Trek: Bridge Crew?

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

And it supposedly has crossplay with people on the phone app too.

Keep talking and nobody explodes?

steam_sig.png

There is indeed one!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Oh dear god.

Its Overcooked VR.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Fuck, that is nice, VR or not...!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nice, one step closer to cola and pop rock capabilities.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

I think this is in 11-12 hours or so.

Speculation is HP Reverb G2

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I got American Truck Simulator running in VR. Played for about 45 minutes. It was super cool, but ended up getting a bit carsick. Back to the regular two monitor display!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I loved my time in Euro Truck Simulator 2 VR, but I was ashamed at how bad I was at backing up that damn trailer again. It took me forever to figure it out with third person mode and stuff in non-VR; give me first person and just the mirrors and I'm done for.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I made it to the first stoplight in ETS2 before I had to stop playing because I was about to vomit everywhere.

I might try again though, has their VR support in ATS / ETS improved?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    HP has announced the next gen Reverb

https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-g2-hands-on-preview/

tl;dr - Next best thing to the Index and probably the first reasonably-priced successor to the original Vive and Rift.

qwsjwl463rpa.png

I'm still on the original Vive, so I'm very excited for this news.

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of dial tightener at that price point, though. The HTC cosmos is only $100 more, so I was hoping this would come in <= 500 or else have the more modern fasteners.

Still, I may finally upgrade from my Vive base station ecosystem for this.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I'd want to see reviews to see how the tracking is. People seem happy with the tracking on the Rift S and Quest, but I think it was a significant complaint with the 1st gen WMR headsets and the Cosmos. The upgrade from 2 to 4 cameras may do the trick (the Quest has four, too), but apparently the Cosmos does badly with 6.

Orogogus wrote: »
    I'd want to see reviews to see how the tracking is. People seem happy with the tracking on the Rift S and Quest, but I think it was a significant complaint with the 1st gen WMR headsets and the Cosmos. The upgrade from 2 to 4 cameras may do the trick (the Quest has four, too), but apparently the Cosmos does badly with 6.

I've heard that wmr headsets are totally functional now, but I don't have personal experience with them.

HMD cameras are the way forward, but yeah I want to make sure I can still aim down sights and do stuff behind my head.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    It's hard for me to complain, as I'm loving my Quest and what it can do, but I tend of have tracking issues when the controller moves behind me, like a follow through swing that comes back into the field of view at a different side. It's not the worst thing, but it can be frustrating. I heard somewhere that the new Touch controllers should have a faster refresh rate, which will reduce some of those problems.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    I finished Alien Isolation (minus the DLC - I might do that later). I very much hope that Nibre, the guy who made the mod, returns to it to refine, tweak and finish it, because what's there is already fantastic, but what jank there is will make it difficult for a number of people to play, let alone finish, Alien Isolation in VR. Especially towards the end, there are a fair number of moments where the game takes control of the camera away from you, and as the station begins to list and shake, even I started to feel a bit queasy, and I usually have a VR stomach of steel by this point. But the game would be an amazing showcase for how certain non-VR games can work well in VR. I had several moments running down corridors while things were going to shit on all sides, throwing back glances to make sure that the alien wasn't after me, and I never felt more like Ripley. The physicality of VR ups the stress so much that for me it almost became too much, but I don't remember any other experiences, VR or not, that felt this immediate.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I finished Alien Isolation (minus the DLC - I might do that later). I very much hope that Nibre, the guy who made the mod, returns to it to refine, tweak and finish it, because what's there is already fantastic, but what jank there is will make it difficult for a number of people to play, let alone finish, Alien Isolation in VR. Especially towards the end, there are a fair number of moments where the game takes control of the camera away from you, and as the station begins to list and shake, even I started to feel a bit queasy, and I usually have a VR stomach of steel by this point. But the game would be an amazing showcase for how certain non-VR games can work well in VR. I had several moments running down corridors while things were going to shit on all sides, throwing back glances to make sure that the alien wasn't after me, and I never felt more like Ripley. The physicality of VR ups the stress so much that for me it almost became too much, but I don't remember any other experiences, VR or not, that felt this immediate.

If I remember correctly, the author has fairly recently started up work again on VR projects, specifically a Halo mod. So hopefully some of the work that he's doing there will be applicable to MotherVR and eventually be backported into that project.

edited June 2020
    That would definitely be great, but it also means (IIRC) that for now he's busy with the Halo mod. I was originally going to wait with playing Alien Isolation in VR until the mod was done, but there is a good chance that v0.8 is as done as it'll ever be.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    I played the first ten minutes or so of Robinson: The Journey but was immediately put off by the bad writing (so this kid crashlands on an alien planet and he's all Saturday morning cartoon about it? There are T-Rexes on a faraway planet?) and the atrociously slow walking speed. Is it worth persisting?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Robinson was a really weird game. I believe they were originally planning it as the first in a series, so a lot of stuff goes unresolved.
    My theory:
    At some point the generation ship went through a time portal, and ended up on prehistoric Earth, or alternative timeline prehistoric Earth.
    There's a lot of plot that does get revealed only in secret collectibles, which tells something of an interesting sci-fi story, but yeah, the overall tone was confused at best, dissonant at worst. More spoilers:
    The generation ship had sharp class divisions, which eventually lead to sabotage and destruction.
    That kind of serious political sci-fi plot clashes with the lighthearted British-accent robot butler/nanny and goofy baby T-Rex antics. If you can just... ignore all that... the environment art is very pretty and there's some fun to be had exploring all the areas and looking at neat animals. Scanning animals is a decent Pokemon Snap diversion. But the climbing mechanics will kill you over and over, until you figure out what it wants. Even then, if you let go of a hand hold even slightly off the exact point they want you to dismount, you insta-die and start that sequence over again.

It's absolutely a mixed bag. An interesting early effort from Crytek on what a VR adventure game would look like, and it's a shame they haven't tried anything else in the space since.

We'll get back there someday.
    Thanks. I think I could enjoy the exploration if it wasn't for the atrociously slow walking speed. (And I'm saying this as someone who liked Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Had some friends around on Friday night and let them try VR for the first time.
    They were searching for headsets that night, found one at an okay price and with the currently-impossible-to-find-Moves on Saturday and drove about 2.5 hours each way to pick it up on Sunday.
    This after on Monday last week they were talking about selling their PS4 to buy a Switch instead.

First impressions of playing with the Kiwi VR ceiling pulleys, which finally arrived after their two-month trek from China: they need a bit of tweaking, in particular the pulley that is closest to the actual headset. If it isn't taut enough, you'll end up with the wires wrapped around your head. Having said that, though, it does feel very different, and better, than constantly having a cable around your legs. Even though by now it's second nature for me to step over the wires, using the pulley system is uncannily close at times to the wireless feeling of the Quest.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg