As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    God I’m so sick of galakrond priest.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    I know there's a handful of game design people in this thread, Blizz is looking for an initial design person (so mechanics/themes/creativity not balance).

https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/ottKcfwC

I’d love to apply, but I’m pretty sure my chance at gaming industry positions are over. Game design degree is nice, but without the practical programming skills, I’m basically out of the running.

Besides, I’ve found a passion and niche in voice acting, so I’ll stick with that.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I tried and failed to get legend today. I spent over 8 hours in wild diamond 2 and 1 ranks with odd paladin. Got once to final boss but was totally run over by a rogue pirate deck. I guess it's not meant to be this month.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    I tried and failed to get legend today. I spent over 8 hours in wild diamond 2 and 1 ranks with odd paladin. Got once to final boss but was totally run over by a rogue pirate deck. I guess it's not meant to be this month.

Shame May only has 21 and a half days, yeah.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I like how this thread's title has been accurate more than once.

• Options
    I keep forgetting to change it, but when I do, it’s accurate again. So I’ll give it a few more days.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I still think antean and priestess are broken, unfun cards to have played against you, even with the nerfs

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I havent seen antean in weeks, besides that time i picked one in arena. Which i regretted through all of the run.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »
    I havent seen antean in weeks, besides tjat time i picked one in arena. Which i regretted through all of the run.

No one's running it anymore, but that doesn't mean it's not still broken as shit.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    you know those days where, try as you might, you just cannot win a single fucking game of hearthstone: heroes of warcraft

i have been having a lot of those

• Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    you know those days where, try as you might, you just cannot win a single fucking game of hearthstone: heroes of warcraft

i have been having a lot of those

To be fair, you’re playing a way out of date version of the game. You should update it, they dropped the heroes of Warcraft part along time ago.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    0-3 on Face Hunter since the patch. It does not seem to be cutting it anymore.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Play the dragon version. With the DH nerfs stuff has slowed down just a little bit so you can afford to stuff in a bit more longevity too.

yiHswTd.png?1

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    EimVKe3.png
    AAECAf0EBrgIiLADgbED4bYDxbgDjbsDDLsCqwThBJYFn5sD/50D9awD+qwD57AD/7ADh7EDw7gDAA==

Workshopping a homebrew deck here. It's pretty spicy! Not entirely sure what's working and what isn't, yet. But the goal is pretty simple: Burn them the fuck out. You've got good hard-to-remove early/mid Dragons with Faerie and Feywing, a handful of 1 mana spells used to control the board and provide juice for Tony, Tony to close out games when burn alone doesn't get you there. It feels pretty good from my limited testing.

edit: Oh! And if anyone has any suggestions on what to improve I am ALL EARS

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    2ItsxPW.jpg

Filthy. I got the first golden juggler naturally then when another juggler appeared in the pool after I'd got the supporting minions (voidlords, imp gang boss etc.) I decided to commit to it with the hero power.

I think there was only one round where the jugglers even got to attack because usually everything died to all the juggles.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    EimVKe3.png
    AAECAf0EBrgIiLADgbED4bYDxbgDjbsDDLsCqwThBJYFn5sD/50D9awD+qwD57AD/7ADh7EDw7gDAA==

Workshopping a homebrew deck here. It's pretty spicy! Not entirely sure what's working and what isn't, yet. But the goal is pretty simple: Burn them the fuck out. You've got good hard-to-remove early/mid Dragons with Faerie and Feywing, a handful of 1 mana spells used to control the board and provide juice for Tony, Tony to close out games when burn alone doesn't get you there. It feels pretty good from my limited testing.

edit: Oh! And if anyone has any suggestions on what to improve I am ALL EARS

Seems to have pretty bad matchups against aggro dragon hunter and demon hunter, and that's pretty much all I'm facing.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Yay, Legend for the fifth time overall, and first time in Wild! This time it was with Mage. Somehow, I had never gotten Legend on my favorite class to play. I used the basic Tempo Storm list as it was at the start of the month, making absolutely no changes. It'll probably come as no surprise to anyone who has spectated me at any point over the last year, but I really love Cyclone Quest Mage, and I'm pretty pleased to have gotten Legend on it.

2x (0) Elemental Evocation
    1x (1) Evocation
    2x (1) Magic Trick
    1x (1) Open the Waygate
    2x (1) Ray of Frost
    1x (1) Violet Spellwing
    2x (2) Book of Specters
    2x (2) Licensed Adventurer
    2x (2) Mana Cyclone
    2x (2) Primordial Glyph
    2x (2) Questing Explorer
    2x (2) Sorcerer's Apprentice
    2x (2) Starscryer
    1x (3) Banana Buffoon
    2x (3) Flamewaker
    2x (8) Mana Giant
    2x (12) Arcane Giant

Code: AAEBAaXDAwTQwQLSiQP7rAPFuAMN5gTjEYK0ApjEAs7vAsiHA5+bA+KbA/+dA7ulA/2sA7i2A/e4AwA=

Even after the nerf to Open the Waygate, the card generation cards introduced within the last year or so are just crazy. My final boss was a Mech Paladin, and holy cow, did the card generation ever happen. I was able to stick a Sorcerer's Apprentice, and then Ray of Frost --> Ray of Frost --> Arcane Missiles --> Elemental Evocation --> Mana Cyclone --> oh hey another Elemental Evocation --> Arcane Breath --> Arcane Breath --> Mana Cyclone AGAIN. The Paladin wasn't even that far behind and they had a full hand, but they just noped hard out of that game.

Through the short climb, the only deck that gave me trouble was Pirate Warrior. When they drop a 1/2 and get a 2/2 and a 2/2 and a 1/1 on T1, I don't really have an answer for that. Especially when they coin a Captain on T2. Most everything else felt like at worst a fighting chance.

That new abbreviated ladder helps a lot too. . .

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I'm shocked this is your first Wild climb, I thought we were Wild bros!

• Options
    I'm shocked this is your first Wild climb, I thought we were Wild bros!

I've made it to the final boss before, but never actually made it through before tonight!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Open the Waygate must have been hella broken in Wild to be nerfed from 6 to 10 and still be "good."

• Options
    The nerf was 6 to 8, which is really just compensating for the coins from Licensed Adventurer.

The last year has been pretty good for it. RoS added a bunch of spell generation, then SoU added quest support, and the DoD adventure gave it Licensed Adventurer which is both.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I had a fun idea for a card that the HS team could release between sets. Check it out:

519spdam7w73.png

This is Neutral Spell card that the team would give away for free to all players. The idea is that when you add it to your deck during the deckbuilding phase, the game opens up your Wild card collection and you assign a card for this to become at the start of your game. The assigned card has to follow standard deckbuilding rules, so no adding Frost Lich Jaina to a Rogue deck.

My initial idea was that it would be Epic so you could bring over two cards, but then I figured people would just bring over two OP legendaries. Maybe if it could smart adjust by asking if you want x2 copies of a non-Legendary? On the other hand, maybe it could exclude Legendaries entirely so it’s not just DK back in the meta.

Obviously, this card would have to wait until after the current Highlander cards rotate to avoid Reno Jackson, full-heal blowouts. Would make for a highly interesting meta since you wouldn't know what people were doing.

Thoughts? Silly? OP? Too linear and obvious?

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I had a fun idea for a card that the HS team could release between sets. Check it out:

519spdam7w73.png

This is Neutral Spell card that the team would give away for free to all players. The idea is that when you add it to your deck during the deckbuilding phase, the game opens up your Wild card collection and you assign a card for this to become at the start of your game. The assigned card has to follow standard deckbuilding rules, so no adding Frost Lich Jaina to a Rogue deck.

My initial idea was that it would be Epic so you could bring over two cards, but then I figured people would just bring over two OP legendaries. Maybe if it could smart adjust by asking if you want x2 copies of a non-Legendary? On the other hand, maybe it could exclude Legendaries entirely so it’s not just DK back in the meta.

Obviously, this card would have to wait until after the current Highlander cards rotate to avoid Reno Jackson, full-heal blowouts. Would make for a highly interesting meta since you wouldn't know what people were doing.

Probably too hard to properly balance future sets around. Every set would have to be judged against if there is an OP interaction with ANY wild card.

I love the idea of it, though.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The nerf was 6 to 8, which is really just compensating for the coins from Licensed Adventurer.

The last year has been pretty good for it. RoS added a bunch of spell generation, then SoU added quest support, and the DoD adventure gave it Licensed Adventurer which is both.
    Oh OK, I thought it was bigger but didn't feel it was worth the effort to go check before I posted. Oh well.

Anyway, seems like I was right about it being hella broken at 6.

forty on
  • Options
    Off the top of my head, Baku and Genn would make a glorious return. Odd DH only runs 7 other Wild cards for example; Lowly Squire, Happy Ghoul, Hench-Clan Thug, and Loatheb, which are just generically good neutrals that you could replace.

• Options
    Off the top of my head, Baku and Genn would make a glorious return. Odd DH only runs 7 other Wild cards for example; Lowly Squire, Happy Ghoul, Hench-Clan Thug, and Loatheb, which are just generically good neutrals that you could replace.
    I think technically as worded in Dover's art, it would do nothing with Baku/Genn, because they have a Start of Game trigger, and this card doesn't become them until Start of Game.

• Options

519spdam7w73.png

everyone picks Thaurissan to enable dumb OTK combo decks again WHOOOOOO

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Ok, pretend the card is Epic and can’t include legendary cards.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

It would be even stronger at Epic even if they couldn't include legendary cards.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

It would be even stronger at Epic even if they couldn't include legendary cards.

I like the idea of bringing back 2 wild cards to a deck. A nightmare to balance but silly regardless. Patron Warrior with Risky Skipper sounds fun!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular

WOOOOOOOOO DINOSIZE WE BACK BABY

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    I'm going through the HCT lists and this kinda-sorta Reno list Seiko brought is the weirdest thing, I don't even know to call it. All I can think is that it's teched explicitly to stomp Aggro DH.

7QDpLYDpbYDuLkDAA==.png

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I've been thinking a lot lately about the asymmetrical design of Year of the Dragon and how it's caused a rift in power between the Galakrond classes and the non-Galakrond classes.

The five Galakrond classes have all been propped up by Galakrond at various points in time (RIP Galak Shaman/Warrior tho). Galakrond is just insanely fucking powerful. The package comes with some good fucking cards that all usually Do Stuff that's pretty good as well. Galakrond is this unholy fucking cocktail fusion of Spellstones and C'thun, except the activator cards are more than just Do Nothings. And the sheer value they provide, good lord. Rogue just goes off with Lackeys and has insane draw potential. Priest generates infinite value with minions and can just sit on a damn good board clear. Warlock generates infinite tokens and has a build-a-board effect. Warrior puts you on a serious fucking clock and can pull surprise lethals out of nowhere, and draws into four handbuffed minions. Shaman provides insane board control/presence and summons giant 8/8s with rush.

The other four non-Galakrond classes either get by through means of Highlander (Mage, Hunter) or Aggro (Hunter, Druid). Or in the case of Paladin, they fucking don't. And the ones that don't "get by", they don't get by because they can't match up to the sheer power that Galakrond or Highlander provides. Galakrond Warrior, even, has dropped off entirely but Warrior still gets by because they have an Aggro deck. Hunter is fast as fuck. Druid got juice for the new Token/Spell Druid deck. Paladin???

(although I guess Pure Paladin/Murloc Paladin are doing alright, right now, post changes? not sure!)

But it's just wild to me that we're in this meta of just, Cheating Shit Out, and crazy value, and all that. And how some decks (whole Classes, even) just have fallen right off at various points in time because of the asymmetrical design of giving 5 classes Galakrond. Hell, it wasn't until DoD when Dragonqueen Alex came out that Highlander decks really stood a real fighting chance.

I dunno. I still like what Hero Cards do, and I think they're neat, but maybe we shouldn't a) release a bunch of them all at once as a batch and only to some Classes b) make them fucking absurdly powerful and have them be upgradeable. I just feel like Galakrond and Zeph/DQ Alex are going to define the meta for the entire next year, is all.

Oh, and Demon Hunter doesn't give a fuck about any of this because they're Demon Hunter, right.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    We have always been at war with Cheating Shit Out

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    They should try adding a new class to shake things up, just give it some above average cards to compensate for no hero card.

• Options
    I hope the Paladin choices are based on a long design plan. If they keep creating Librams and libram support cards it could be very strong in just one more set. But that would mean they'd have to stick to a plan for the Paladin class design, which has happened like never.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    One of my DH games last night was getting beaten pretty handily by Pure Paladin. I don't know if it's just a good matchup for the Paladin or that he God drew but there were a slew of answers throughout and it was over from the start.

forty on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    New book Paladin seems better because Aldor Attendant as a 1-drop is huge and you can now play cards like Call to Adventure to get it consistently so you can start pumping everything with your librams. But it probably still lags a bit because midrange can’t gain a lot of traction right now. But it’s pointed in a positive direction and that seems good.

But I don’t know where YotP goes when singleton and galakrond are such powerful archetypes right now.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Have I ranted in here about what I think is the critical flaw in DH, why DH is less fun to play and to play against than any other class (at least for me)? I think that Demon Hunter, Aggro Demon Hunter in particular, is a Magic deck in a Hearthstone game.

I realize that that’s not true in a literal sense: the Outcast mechanic would make no sense in MTG, MTG has no hero powers or weapons, and some DH cards like Priestess of Fury, Blade Dance, and Imprisoned Antaen do have somewhat random effects. But overall, Demon Hunter is consistent, with very minimal randomness. The most common randomness factor by far in Demon Hunter is deck order, just like a MTG deck. For people who crave an experience more like MTG, that’s a selling point. But as I see it, Hearthstone thrives on using randomness to smooth power levels. The most oppressive decks in Hearthstone’s history are almost ways those that have minimal randomness: decks like Mean Streets era Pirate Warrior (typically just Sir Finley), Frozen Throne era Jade Druid (MC tech eventually made it in, but for a while it was generally without random cards), Odd Paladin (Unidentified Maul was basically it), etc.

Hearthstone frequently allows for increased potential card power at the cost of randomness. You have cards like Deadly Shot that give you a two mana discount off of Assassinate, but that can miss a 50/50 for you or hit a 1/7 for your opponent. Plague of Death gives you a powerful, consistent and predictable board clear to deal with being behind but still hands tempo advantage back to the other player. Compare it with Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron, which has a decent chance to give you a board clear, or it might just kill your opponent, or it might just kill you - you trade consistency for the chance at power.

Those power for randomness trade offs are a large part of what makes Hearthstone fun for me. It means that games don’t play out the same way every single time. Sometimes I get exactly what I need off of my Mana Cyclone and it swings the game, and that feels like hitting the jackpot. And sometimes I get a lot of spells that I have no immediate use for, and the fun comes in trying to figure out how I’ll make it work. Now, you can argue that card generation and randomness are too strong right now, and I can respect that, and even agree to some extent. The line between enough and too much is going to be in different places for different people. For me, Demon Hunter is on the other side of the field, off into “not enough.”

Demon Hunter ignores Hearthstone’s bargain of randomness for power. The only probabilities Demon Hunter really cares about are with regards to draw order. Every game plays out on the same lines, like a game between MTG meta decks. You play the same cards and you play around the same cards, every single game. For some people, I understand that it’s a great feeling to win or lose with the cards that they put in their decks. For me, it’s boring and it’s somewhat frustrating. In part it’s because a deck that can’t high roll also can’t low roll, and in part because there’s no hold-your-breath moments where you wait to see if a spell resolves in a roll to your favour.

TL;DR: It’s the same cards, in roughly the same order, over and over again. It’s the same problem I have with constructed ladder in MTGA. It’s just not for me.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    I think one of the most fundamental flaws in DH is that the Outcast mechanic heavily tilts the class toward aggro and away from control. Unless they give the class good enough control cards that just let it ignore Outcast, then it's a liability. Big hand size and heavy cards don't play well with the mechanic.