As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    It sucks that all of the Aeronautica Imperialis stuff is going up in price. That game just came out last year, and hiking the price on all of the kits doesn't seem like a good way to grow a playerbase.

Yea, there is a lot of stuff there that came out 2017 to 2020 and they keep saying it is only 400 products out if the 3000. I wonder how much of that 3000 is models and the rest is other stuff like paint and accessories.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    When my friend and I decided to get back in his first comment was ‘how are Scourges still $41au?’.

A lot of the infantry boxes that haven’t changed contents in years will likely go up in price.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The prices are also unlikely to be substantial increases, the last time this happened they went up by about £2.50 on average.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    The prices are also unlikely to be substantial increases, the last time this happened they went up by about £2.50 on average.

Periodically ripping off the bandaid is probably better than just raising random stuff at random intervals.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    honovere wrote: »
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    The sad fact of the matter is in most tactics lists it's dominated by the competitive crowd and the way being competitive in pretty much any game is use the most efficient (i.e. reward for cost) units (or system).

So that's why you see those lists being shown as the only way to play since those people have that super competitive mindset.

Sometimes you can roll in and tell them you want a fluffy but fun list and ask how to make it work and they'll help you out.

Sometimes.

I mean, that's kind of how a discussion in a tactics topic, especially in a game with a strong tournament scene is going to go unless you work from the start "this about building your dead hard internet list.' And its kind of hard to keep the bleed over under control if you're talking about both in one thread. Back when Port Maw was still around for BFG, I worked hard on the 'How to Use Your Ships' tactica, which had run downs of all the ships in the games, their strengths, and sometimes significant flaws.

As opposed to the tournament tactics thread which, due to the way the game worked, meant that Dauntless cruiser torpedo and marine battle barg0 bombardment cannon spam kinda dominated just because of how ye olde rules worked.

I never played bfg even remotely competitively. What made those two so good?

It's been so long that I'm pretty foggy on the details, but from what I do remember, the Dauntless' light cruiser ship class made them cheap and you could take a lot of them, and the torpedo variant had a really good loadout (IIRC the rules back then where torpedo spreads were one torpedo wide for each point of strength, and squadrons combined their torpedo strength, so you were shooting literal walls across the battle field. And since torpedos were a marker and not a dice roll like guns, ones that didn't hit a ship just kept going). So when you had multiples, you could do some pretty impressive area denial and target saturation.

I totally forget the precise details of the bombardment cannon on the battle barge (was it fixed forward, or could it hit the side arcs too and that's what made it such a facewrecker?) but it was that, combined with how tough the ship was from the front and that space marine crews were immune to morale penalties that made it really strong. Actually I think I might be mixing up the battle barge with the strike cruiser, which like the dauntless, was a cruiser, allowing for more of them, ridiculous armor, space marine crew, and the bombardment cannon, which now that my old brain gears are creaking into motion again, I think caused lots of critical hits. So being able to have several fast, heavily armored, mega crit causing cruiser fleets was a very strong build.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Don’t they work in brackets?

Like, boxes for infantry in Australia are $41, $48 and $69. If something is in the $48 bracket, wouldn’t an increase jump it to $69?

Or did they ditch the bracket idea?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The sad fact of the matter is in most tactics lists it's dominated by the competitive crowd and the way being competitive in pretty much any game is use the most efficient (i.e. reward for cost) units (or system).

So that's why you see those lists being shown as the only way to play since those people have that super competitive mindset.

Sometimes you can roll in and tell them you want a fluffy but fun list and ask how to make it work and they'll help you out.

Sometimes.

I mean, that's kind of how a discussion in a tactics topic, especially in a game with a strong tournament scene is going to go unless you work from the start "this about building your dead hard internet list.' And its kind of hard to keep the bleed over under control if you're talking about both in one thread. Back when Port Maw was still around for BFG, I worked hard on the 'How to Use Your Ships' tactica, which had run downs of all the ships in the games, their strengths, and sometimes significant flaws.

As opposed to the tournament tactics thread which, due to the way the game worked, meant that Dauntless cruiser torpedo and marine battle barg0 bombardment cannon spam kinda dominated just because of how ye olde rules worked.

It's been so long that I'm pretty foggy on the details, but from what I do remember, the Dauntless' light cruiser ship class made them cheap and you could take a lot of them, and the torpedo variant had a really good loadout (IIRC the rules back then where torpedo spreads were one torpedo wide for each point of strength, and squadrons combined their torpedo strength, so you were shooting literal walls across the battle field. And since torpedos were a marker and not a dice roll like guns, ones that didn't hit a ship just kept going). So when you had multiples, you could do some pretty impressive area denial and target saturation.

I totally forget the precise details of the bombardment cannon on the battle barge (was it fixed forward, or could it hit the side arcs too and that's what made it such a facewrecker?) but it was that, combined with how tough the ship was from the front and that space marine crews were immune to morale penalties that made it really strong. Actually I think I might be mixing up the battle barge with the strike cruiser, which like the dauntless, was a cruiser, allowing for more of them, ridiculous armor, space marine crew, and the bombardment cannon, which now that my old brain gears are creaking into motion again, I think caused lots of critical hits. So being able to have several fast, heavily armored, mega crit causing cruiser fleets was a very strong build.

Bombardment cannon have firepower like regular batteries but hit like Lances. Strike Cruisers can squadron, are fairly fast and absurdly tough, so they can easily get into the (relatively short) bombardment range and then combine their BC batteries like any other squadron combining firepower and effectively end up with what amounted to eight Lances each, or something like that. Bearing in mind that most battleships can’t muster more than about six in a given arc… The best/brokenest part being that they ignored the Eldar special save vs. Lances and instead took the regular Firepower column shift. Which, as every Imperial admiral will tell you is absolutely the best way to mess those pointy eared pirates up.

And yeah, the Dauntless had one of the best points-to-torpedo ratio in the game (technically the Cobra is better IIRC but it’s only Strength 2 so you can only get a 12-wide wave from a maxed out squadron) and was cheap enough that having six in a game wasn’t impossible and then you just dropped a 24-wide wall of don’t-go-there in front of whatever area you wanted to blockade. Fortunately they’ve fixed torpedoes now so Dauntless are merely quite good rather than game-breaking.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I really want to see an organized list for this price increase coming. It seems like almost every model in 40k, AoS, LotR, and blood bowl is going up in price so far.

Still looking through the 38 pages of product going up in price.

Going through the link it is mostly older models and big models. I saw a lot of AoS and then stuff like Raptors/Warp Talons which have been the same for a long time.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    It sucks that all of the Aeronautica Imperialis stuff is going up in price. That game just came out last year, and hiking the price on all of the kits doesn't seem like a good way to grow a playerbase.

Yea, there is a lot of stuff there that came out 2017 to 2020 and they keep saying it is only 400 products out if the 3000. I wonder how much of that 3000 is models and the rest is other stuff like paint and accessories.

So, eight pages of that 38-page list are paint. (Edit: Whoops, nope! Started with paint and then moved on to other stuff, most of those pages are datacards and chapter-specific upgrade sprews, as well as chapter-specific Terminators.) It also includes every transport case and some hobby tools in the previous pages.

A lot of the 40k stuff going up I find it kind of hard to argue with, but most of the hikes seem to be on LotR/AoS stuff. A bunch of it is terrain that I don't think anyone bought anyway.

Basic troops choices going up feels kinda shitty, but a lot of those kits haven't gone up in quite a long time.

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Carl Weathers secured, now I have to figure out what I do with him

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Im slowly building a Krieg KT with after market parts but it feels wrong to convert this one

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Monwyn wrote: »

So, eight pages of that 38-page list are paint. (Edit: Whoops, nope! Started with paint and then moved on to other stuff, most of those pages are datacards and chapter-specific upgrade sprews, as well as chapter-specific Terminators.) It also includes every transport case and some hobby tools in the previous pages.

A lot of the 40k stuff going up I find it kind of hard to argue with, but most of the hikes seem to be on LotR/AoS stuff. A bunch of it is terrain that I don't think anyone bought anyway.

Basic troops choices going up feels kinda shitty, but a lot of those kits haven't gone up in quite a long time.

I saw a chunk of Necrons going up in price which was a bummer but I didn't get to the paint. I saw it while working so I wasn't able to really dig in. I was gonna finish looking through it tonight to see what else shows up.

I saw the wall of martyrs was going up in price which is a bummer. I like that terrain.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    They just increased BB team prices last year by 20%! The aeronautica stuff is also pretty new.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Where can you see the price increases?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Where can you see the price increases?

They don't have the actual increase yet. The community article they talk about it in has a link to all the items that will be increasing in price so people can basically pick up stuff before it goes up.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/21/heads-up-price-adjustment-new-releases/

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Land Raiders are going up to $96

Jesus Christ

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Where did you get the new price from?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I went on the Australian site and saw large increases on Genestealer Cult Aberrants and Hybrids. I remembered someone on eBay was selling broken down Tooth and Claw sets of those for almost half the new price.

I went and panic bought two Hybrid sets and an Aberrant set, and threw in an Abominant.

Then went back to the GW site and saw the Australian flag had red stars. The prices hadn’t gone up.

I was on the NZ site. I panic bought a bunch of Genestealer stuff because I was in the wrong region.

I am a dumb. A dumb with a lot of new Genestealers. But still a dumb.

Also, holy shit sorry you pay so much fellow NZ bro’s.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Yea where can I see the new prices? If it's a substantial increase I guess there's a few things I could grab now, if it's a dollar or two I'm just going to try to stick to my backlog clearing resolution (except for the Ephrael Stern model, and if Saturday's big reveal is a Sisters vs. Necrons box oh or maybe that new Inquisitor or...)

• Options
    It looks like for Tyranids - Hormagaunts, Genestealers, Gargoyles and Trygons/Mawlocs are going up.

I was planning on grabbing a couple of Start Collecting boxes for Trygons and Genestealers, I only want one more box of Hormagaunts to finish off my max size brood, and I'm not interested in more Gargoyles.

For Genestealer Cult, Neophytes are going up and I hear Jackal Alphus are as well. I was only planning on getting Neophytes via the next two Start Collecting boxes I got, though I do want a Jackal Alphus.

Also Start Collecting boxes don't appear to be on the list.

So this has had almost no affect on me or my buying habits.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Someone on Dakka had a list from a FLGS's facebook page. Pretty sure these are in USD
    Spoiled, because it's enormous.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So yeah might as well just get the spray cans I wanted
    Morthai is one of the things I do want to get as well as a couple of Melusai but is that the prices for stores?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ugh. There's some hefty increases in there. BB teams getting a third more expensive within a year. Eff that.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Ugh. There's some hefty increases in there. BB teams getting a third more expensive within a year. Eff that.

There's such a weird disparity in price shifts there, if that list is USD. Some stuff going up by $1, others increasing by a third? The hell?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Sometimes.

Bombardment cannon have firepower like regular batteries but hit like Lances. Strike Cruisers can squadron, are fairly fast and absurdly tough, so they can easily get into the (relatively short) bombardment range and then combine their BC batteries like any other squadron combining firepower and effectively end up with what amounted to eight Lances each, or something like that. Bearing in mind that most battleships can’t muster more than about six in a given arc… The best/brokenest part being that they ignored the Eldar special save vs. Lances and instead took the regular Firepower column shift. Which, as every Imperial admiral will tell you is absolutely the best way to mess those pointy eared pirates up.

And yeah, the Dauntless had one of the best points-to-torpedo ratio in the game (technically the Cobra is better IIRC but it’s only Strength 2 so you can only get a 12-wide wave from a maxed out squadron) and was cheap enough that having six in a game wasn’t impossible and then you just dropped a 24-wide wall of don’t-go-there in front of whatever area you wanted to blockade. Fortunately they’ve fixed torpedoes now so Dauntless are merely quite good rather than game-breaking.

Okay, that kicks the cobwebs out. I really fell out of BFG after the Port Maw forums vanished - where do you find the current state of the rules these days? Did torpedo spreads get reduced to a single marker or something so you can no longer send light-year wide walls of ordnance across the board?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    They're increasing the price on the SoB Battle Sanctum? It's only by $5, but that model only came out in January.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Sometimes.

Okay, that kicks the cobwebs out. I really fell out of BFG after the Port Maw forums vanished - where do you find the current state of the rules these days? Did torpedo spreads get reduced to a single marker or something so you can no longer send light-year wide walls of ordnance across the board?

Unfortunately the local scene dried up around the same time the fan-revision stuff kicked in so I’ve not really played it for realsies. They did make all torpedo barrages fixed-width with a counter for strength though. And they keep waffling back and forth over whether Nova Cannon should be guess range or scatter weapons.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    They are likely getting the increase done before they drop 9th later this year, so they don't poison the chalice of a big new edition release with a price increase. Increases likely have nothing to do with when a model was released.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So I had an idea spinning around in my head this morning to make a tabletop game of WH40K play more like the Dawn of War series

Essentially add a couple of “strategic” points or points of interest to the battlefield. 2-3, that you capture by ending your movement phase or turn surrounding.

Start the game where each side has 1 squad of a previously agreed value cap, possibly add a command unit to even them out

Then every 3-5 rounds you get to add some points value of models to the edge of the table, with bonus amounts depending on how many of the “strategic” points you control at that point in time

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna say that idea is without merit, but it certainly does feel like it'd be a win more type thing, where one side gets ahead, gets more dudes and then just rolls you over.

• Options
    @Gabriel_Pitt in case I misread your post, the very latest BFG rules are difficult to locate but one guy has put together a masterwork: Battlefleet Gothic Remastered combines the original rules with all the FAQs and other updates in a single volume, with print resolution media available. Based, I believe, on the collection over at the Specialist Arms mirror of the old Specialist Games forum.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna say that idea is without merit, but it certainly does feel like it'd be a win more type thing, where one side gets ahead, gets more dudes and then just rolls you over.
    Yeah, in the video game this is balanced by upkeep costs holding back the larger army.

Ideally this system would be balanced against one team having to maintain a position so increasing reinforcement at the cost of tactical flexibility

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    It would certainly be a fun system to try, though I'd probably do it on a 8x4 board and play from short edges, to give people time to slowly build up and chip away at each other with long range weapons before committing, and also a ways to fall back and potentially get some reinforcements that let them recover and push back.

Could make for some long, drawn out games but also be a lot of fun.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    So I had an idea spinning around in my head this morning to make a tabletop game of WH40K play more like the Dawn of War series

Essentially add a couple of “strategic” points or points of interest to the battlefield. 2-3, that you capture by ending your movement phase or turn surrounding.

Start the game where each side has 1 squad of a previously agreed value cap, possibly add a command unit to even them out

Then every 3-5 rounds you get to add some points value of models to the edge of the table, with bonus amounts depending on how many of the “strategic” points you control at that point in time

Think this would be better off generating CP rather than actual units, but Gerbil's comment above is still a definite concern.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Huh the DoW/RTS to table top conversation is going on in my gaming club 40k chat too.

Did something happen? This is about DoW2 not 1 though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Huh the DoW/RTS to table top conversation is going on in my gaming club 40k chat too.

Did something happen? This is about DoW2 not 1 though.

Lots of time to think, not much time to play

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, in the video game this is balanced by upkeep costs holding back the larger army.

Ideally this system would be balanced against one team having to maintain a position so increasing reinforcement at the cost of tactical flexibility

In the PC game, this is balanced by the fact that whoever ends up holding more points has to make the difficult choice of spreading out to defend each (and hoping whichever gets hit can hold long enough for reinforcements to arrive), or trying to deathball and guess where the opponent is going. Meanwhile, the opponent can just concentrate their forces to take a point. Another risk of deathballing while playing defense is the other army drawing your force one way, and then sneaking a lone squad away to capture the point that's been left unattended.

But DoW gameplay resolves much faster, so a lot more can happen in a given amount of time. In tabletop you can't have as much back-and-forth, so I don't think that this kind of meta balance would work as well there.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

In the PC game, this is balanced by the fact that whoever ends up holding more points has to make the difficult choice of spreading out to defend each (and hoping whichever gets hit can hold long enough for reinforcements to arrive), or trying to deathball and guess where the opponent is going. Meanwhile, the opponent can just concentrate their forces to take a point. Another risk of deathballing while playing defense is the other army drawing your force one way, and then sneaking a lone squad away to capture the point that's been left unattended.

But DoW gameplay resolves much faster, so a lot more can happen in a given amount of time. In tabletop you can't have as much back-and-forth, so I don't think that this kind of meta balance would work as well there.

The computer game also has fog of war, which the tabletop does not.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Finished building the Achilles Ridgerunner and magged the Heavy Mining Laser and Missile Launcher.

I love the rimworld/mining town aesthetic they went with. This little car looks so baller.

Building the Jackals now.

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

The computer game also has fog of war, which the tabletop does not.

Will a fog machine negatively impact painted models?