As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    RDM gets a no cooldown instant cast move at 76. It costs 5 b/w mana but that's nbd really.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Starter Edition is free to claim on PS4 until May 26th, goes live in NA later today: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/final-fantasy-xiv-online-starter-edition-for-ps4-free-until-may-26

forgot to mention, if you claim this deal and then log in on PS4, it adds 30 days to your account even if you normally play on PC

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    you can stutter step movement a shit load as RDM, it's very mobile if you know where you need to be

not so good when you need to move a lot in a short time without a chance to weave a cast in. i haven't checked in a while, but i believe it the math is that it's fine to use reprise twice between manafication cycles

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    The lack of a run-and-gun power has been standing out especially with all these MSQ Roulette runs I've been doing for moogle tomestones. I'm sure it'll be a lot less obnoxious when I'm back in content where the tanks aren't constantly dragging around a huge comet trail of enemies.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Reprise is always a potency loss, but if you need to move more than a few steps and you don't have a dual cast proc then it's kind of your only option.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The lack of a run-and-gun power has been standing out especially with all these MSQ Roulette runs I've been doing for moogle tomestones. I'm sure it'll be a lot less obnoxious when I'm back in content where the tanks aren't constantly dragging around a huge comet trail of enemies.

I’ve got bad news for you then...

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    Joined the dessert boye company

feels good to get some sun in these trying times

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    Uldah's got the nicest unique grand company fashion too if you ask me, followed closely by Limsa. Gridania's are boring.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    My only problem with the ul’dah company is it seems like whenever I’m being double crossed by villainous nobles or cultists there’s always a couple of them working for them.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    The elementals are judgmental trash. Death to the plutocracy.

It's a pirate's life for me.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited May 2020
    Lalafell
    @Crippl3 where can you see if it added the 30 days? I linked my account and whatnot and don't see that anywhere on my account

Edit: nevermind- i was on recurring payment so it wouldn't show. I canceled that and shows me with an extra 30 days remaining!

zucchini on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Fig-D wrote: »

On the one hand, Limsa antagonizes the Kobolds and broke a treaty with them.

On the other hand, the concept of “Beast tribes” is Uldahn bullshit.

edited May 2020
    Viera
    Enlong wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »

On the one hand, Limsa antagonizes the Kobolds and broke a treaty with them.

On the other hand, the concept of “Beast tribes” is Uldahn bullshit.
    but the limsans are only too happy to use it to justify their colonialism! no one's hands are clean here

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    if any of ya'll are on the Primal datacentre, hmu sometime, I've got a linkshell I'd invite you to for hangs and stuff

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Limsa Lominsa was an easy choice, it's a pirate's life for me, Merlwyb is cool, Kan-E-Senna is boring as shit, Uldah is a mercantilist hellscape

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Au'ra
    Gridania is maybe the least-bad? But it's like, Ul'dah <<< Limsa < Gridania. They're still pretty xenophobic (even if they are justifiably afraid of angering the very real elementals - a lot of people there take it too far).

SE did a really good job of putting skeletons in all the closets.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Roegadyn
    Limsa seems to be in the best position of the 3 because it requires less of an incredibly steep cultural shift for them to pull their heads out of their asses.

Gridania is the worst because their issues are basically tied to their religion. Their culture is dictated by their religious leaders who work very hard to prevent any deviations of their faith or dogma in becoming widespread throughout the populace, and show no hesitation when calling on the impending doom their invisible elementals can visit into any non-believers.

And Ul’dah is just unchecked capitalism with extra oligarchy thrown in for good measure. They’ll give enough to keep their populace just complacent enough to be happy making the syndicate more money.

Limsa is full of asshole pirates, but that seems like something that will solve itself in a generation or two. All of the piracy issues are already due to the old guard not playing by the new rules because they spent their entire lives living under the old ones, so once you have a majority population that aren’t career pirates, it’s a lot easier to reform based on more progressive guidelines.

Javen on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Javen wrote: »
    Limsa seems to be in the best position of the 3 because it requires less of an incredibly steep cultural shift for them to pull their heads out of their asses.

Gridania is the worst because their issues are basically tied to their religion. Their culture is dictated by their religious leaders who work very hard to prevent any deviations of their faith or dogma in becoming widespread throughout the populace, and show no hesitation when calling on the impending doom their invisible elementals can visit into any non-believers.

And Ul’dah is just unchecked capitalism with extra oligarchy thrown in for good measure. They’ll give enough to keep their populace just complacent enough to be happy making the syndicate more money.

Limsa is full of asshole pirates, but that seems like something that will solve itself in a generation or two. All of the piracy issues are already due to the old guard not playing by the new rules because they spent their entire lives living under the old ones, so once you have a majority population that aren’t career pirates, it’s a lot easier to reform based on more progressive guidelines.

The thing about Gridania is that the elementals are real, and their wrath legit.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Lalafell
    Come hells or high water.

Viera
    thal's balls!

BahamutZERO.gif
    Roegadyn
    All three of the original nation states suck ass.

Ul'Dah originated the beast folk stigma, is a capitalist hellscape. Weirdly, was probably the most chill before that happened and the monetarists came to power, as the various desert beast tribes used to just hang out with them.

Limsa is a fledgling nation that has spent basically it's entire existence violently colonizing the Kobolds and Sahagin's ancestral homes. It's also a dictatorship, complete with secret police that assassinate people for stepping out of line.

Gridania, hooooo boy Gridania. So it's a WHM job quest spoiler so I won't go in depth but the whole deal with Padjal is turbofucked. Gridania is xenophobic as hell, they justify all there bad tendencies with "but ma elementals" even though that is a lie at least some of the time.

Gridania's biggest fuck ups though aren't really in game, but in the Duskwight Elezen and Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te lore.

Basically, long ass time ago a bunch of Elezen had to flee from the Ishgard area into the Black Shroud. The elementals saw them as a threat and freaked out, so the Elezen moved into the cavern network below the shroud and only came out sparingly, which avoided the elementals wrath. This worked out for like 1000 years. Then some motherfucker figured out how to be a Conjurer and started communing with the Elementals. Lot of the Elezen move out of the caves, start Gridania. Like, IMMEDIATELY turn it into a religious thing and brand the Elezen that stayed in there old home heretics and second class citizens. This is why there are almost no Dusk Wight NPCs, they straight up are not really welcome in Gridania proper.

While that whole deal is going on, the Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te were just vibing in the Black Shroud, doing the whole hunter/gatherer nomad thing. No problem with the Elementals. Then whoops, Gridania is established and suddenly these elves are saying there way of life is a sin you have to stop living like that and integrate into our society, and if you don't you are and outlaw and will be treated as a poacher and arrested if we know you're part of a free clan. And then Gridania has been trying to run them out of the Twelveswood ever since. Also while it's not as codified as the Duskwight hate, integrated moon Miqo'te definitely still get a ton of shit from lots of the Gridania Elezen population.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I want a whole expac where the WOL deals with the shit from Gridania just like they dealt with (spoiler for 3.1ish)
    the Holy See in Ishgard

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Roegadyn
    the expansion formula is all about going new places but I really want one that moves the starting areas forward in time, ideally separate from the actual starting zones so new players don't lose anything (I don't want them to cataclysm this shit a second time)

TheySlashThem on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    turtleant wrote: »
    All three of the original nation states suck ass.

Ul'Dah originated the beast folk stigma, is a capitalist hellscape. Weirdly, was probably the most chill before that happened and the monetarists came to power, as the various desert beast tribes used to just hang out with them.

Limsa is a fledgling nation that has spent basically it's entire existence violently colonizing the Kobolds and Sahagin's ancestral homes. It's also a dictatorship, complete with secret police that assassinate people for stepping out of line.

Gridania, hooooo boy Gridania. So it's a WHM job quest spoiler so I won't go in depth but the whole deal with Padjal is turbofucked. Gridania is xenophobic as hell, they justify all there bad tendencies with "but ma elementals" even though that is a lie at least some of the time.

Gridania's biggest fuck ups though aren't really in game, but in the Duskwight Elezen and Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te lore.

Basically, long ass time ago a bunch of Elezen had to flee from the Ishgard area into the Black Shroud. The elementals saw them as a threat and freaked out, so the Elezen moved into the cavern network below the shroud and only came out sparingly, which avoided the elementals wrath. This worked out for like 1000 years. Then some motherfucker figured out how to be a Conjurer and started communing with the Elementals. Lot of the Elezen move out of the caves, start Gridania. Like, IMMEDIATELY turn it into a religious thing and brand the Elezen that stayed in there old home heretics and second class citizens. This is why there are almost no Dusk Wight NPCs, they straight up are not really welcome in Gridania proper.

While that whole deal is going on, the Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te were just vibing in the Black Shroud, doing the whole hunter/gatherer nomad thing. No problem with the Elementals. Then whoops, Gridania is established and suddenly these elves are saying there way of life is a sin you have to stop living like that and integrate into our society, and if you don't you are and outlaw and will be treated as a poacher and arrested if we know you're part of a free clan. And then Gridania has been trying to run them out of the Twelveswood ever since. Also while it's not as codified as the Duskwight hate, integrated moon Miqo'te definitely still get a ton of shit from lots of the Gridania Elezen population.

Uh... the assassinations are more vigilante justice than secret police. They don't actually answer to Merlwyb, they're tolerated because they're useful. The colonialism part is pretty bad though, yeah.

The Padjal stuff is messed up, yes. I think the game shows that the leadership of Gridania is definitely making an effort to push back against the xenophobia though.

Ul'dah is actually the ones with secret police type stuff going on (in an "official history" sort of way) - there are some skeletons in their closet besides the monetarist stuff, though I'd have to look up timelines on some of that. Definitely the country with the most assholes in power of the three.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Lalafell
    One of the most fucked-up things Ul’dah has done gets mentioned by the Hildibrand story, of all things.
    Sil’dah being conquered via zombie powder.

Lalafell
    so who wants to hang out or whatever

I don’t know anyone’s name in game because everyone has weeb names

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Generally I try to take a live and let live approach, and not get too critical of how other people play their classes. But if I'm in an Alliance Raid, there are Ranged DPS characters on my team, and I don't see that Peloton icon appearing in the long drawn-out corridors between fights, I judge the shit out of those players.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Au'ra
    turtleant wrote: »

This is mainly because they've generally been hostile to the mortal races ever since the abuse of magic in the fifth astral era, causing them to flood the continent for the sixth umbral calamity. In some ways it was justified, though it becomes somewhat less so once you get to the parts of the FF14 story that delve into the "why" of the umbral calamities.

The fact that they're even allowing mortal races to live in the shroud is basically a night and day difference, but they're very much still petulant screaming babies that need to be placated at all times and you don't necessarily earn actual favor from them so much as you do what they demand and in return they simply decide not to try and kill everyone today.

Donnicton on
    Lalafell
    Ok, I know that overpopulation and resources are a thing a society has to deal with. But at that point, maybe move out of the Actually Cursed Forest.

Roegadyn
    But why when the things causing the curse are magically appeased by a stratified capitalist society and hating on smelly foreigners? :rotate:

Weird how a bunch of poor Ala Mhigan refugees being given medical treatment is absolutely out of the question but the Gridanian nobility are responsible for a whole ass mansion being full of demon's and that's fiiiiiiiiine

X22wmuF.jpg
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It’s definitely very satisfying in Heavensward
    When you have the big melee tournament between all the nations and you pop out on the side of Ishgard much to the dismay of the other leaders.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The Ala Mhigans as a society also invaded the shroud in living memory and things are complicated by that. No one comes out of any of the situation smelling of roses.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I could kick the elementals ass in a trial series no problem

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    I could kick the elementals ass in a trial series no problem

If this were a CRPG there would be a grandiose plot by some machiavellian to murder the elementals once and for all, and I would kill the villain but then I'd also go ahead and complete his ritual to murder the elementals anyway because fuck 'em.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Ok, I know that overpopulation and resources are a thing a society has to deal with. But at that point, maybe move out of the Actually Cursed Forest.

The Shroud is like, really big. Like I'm pretty sure it's the biggest nation in Eorzea when it comes to acreage. It's also smack dab in the middle of all the others, so you basically had to travel through it to get to another via land.

Which is actually odd, since in-game it's probably got the smallest amount of map space dedicated to it. Not counting stuff like Xelphatol and that place the Amalj'aa are from.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    These Company of Heroes quests are nakedly padding, but each is so trivial to complete that I don't find it all that obnoxious.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    no spoilers but the company of heroes is the one bit of arr padding that I will always argue serves a purpose

This discussion has been closed.