As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Put it in like you're putting a newborn baby into their crib after a full night of screaming in your ear and they JUST fell asleep.

twitch Too real. twitch

The colic elemental my wife spawned was stuck in that phase for about 3 or 4 months. That was only 2 months ago.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    So Splatoon 2 is having it's first splatfest this weekend since they were discontinued... idk 6 months ago? Curious whether it's just a one-off Memorial Day in quarantine thing, or if they're going to start building up to a Splatoon 3 announcement.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Put it in like you're putting a newborn baby into their crib after a full night of screaming in your ear and they JUST fell asleep.

twitch Too real. twitch

The colic elemental my wife spawned was stuck in that phase for about 3 or 4 months. That was only 2 months ago.

It will stick with you a lifetime. I still wake up in sweats.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Our two-year old has finally cast off all pretense of maybe napping during the day, and is just bright-eyed and bushy-tailed throughout the whole day, all the time, can't stop won't stop. So basically someone needs to be keeping an eye on her the whole day, which means that whenever she's awake, I can't actually focus enough to work. Which means that my real work hours are 10pm to 3am. It's

so great.

Really great.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm lucky enough to have a 6 and 5 year old able to watch our 18 month old while I work. It's not quality work because I am 100% in parent mode (hear a thump? Wait for the cry to check). She also naps so there's a bit of quiet time in the house for me. I can't imagine how I'd do this if she was a little older and no older siblings. Damn near impossible I'd say.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I know that this isn't the thread for it, so I'll make this my last post on the subject, but: Ever since we had our kid, and experiencing parent life, I've become of the firm opinion that all single parents and/or parents of multiple children need to be formally recognized as veterans, be awarded Medals of Honor, and be treated with the highest socioeconomic honor and support possible.

Nothing has brought that into clearer focus than this whole locked-indoors-pandemic thing.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Hell, I don't even have kids of my own (although I was once a foster parent for a few years) and I totally agree with that.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    For those of you wondering, apparently the first Pokemon expansion is on schedule:

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Was just thinking I need to go back and finish the game up before I start other stuff. Not sure if I'm gonna get the DLC right away but it's good timing. My switch backlog is manageable at the moment but is due to explode any second.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Our two-year old has finally cast off all pretense of maybe napping during the day, and is just bright-eyed and bushy-tailed throughout the whole day, all the time, can't stop won't stop. So basically someone needs to be keeping an eye on her the whole day, which means that whenever she's awake, I can't actually focus enough to work. Which means that my real work hours are 10pm to 3am. It's

so great.

Really great.

Fortunately for me, my oldest is 17 and keeps an eye on the other two while I work and only bothers me when it's an emergency.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I'm trawling through stuff on the eShop and DekuDeals (thanks for that recommendation, @Grundlestiltskin , that site is awesome) and making a bit of a wishlist up. I keep stumbling on stuff - old favourites and stuff I haven't played but was already interested in - that's like, "wow, they put that on the Switch? Wishlisted!", which is awesome and making me realise how much stuff I'm going to have to buy on this thing even if I've already got it elsewhere in some cases, and realised I'm already starting to fall a bit down that rabbit hole of "I hope this eventually comes out on Switch, and this and this"... then I realised something. One stipulation I had when I picked up a second-hand, few-years-old gaming laptop some years ago (when I decided I was going to get back into PC games after a long while as a console gamer primarily on Xboxes) was that it could play the entire Mass Effect trilogy. Not actually hard, incidentally, the PC versions of all three run fine on what are basically toasters now. But I digress. My point, in this rambling screed, was that the thought then occurred... Mass Effect trilogy on Switch?

And apparently there are rumblings that it may eventually happen if/when the loudly rumoured HD remaster comes out, but likely after that. And a Switch, although not exactly pocket-sized in the traditional sense, is rather more easily portable than a laptop (I've long since moved on from that old one, but my current one is no smaller or lighter, and while it's amazing and I love it, it's still a hulk).

If it happens, and I can carry the Holy Trilogy in a (large) pocket, well... send help.

- - - - -

In other news, I'm trying out remapped buttons. Switched the right joycon buttons over to the Xbox layout that I'm frankly more used to. That may turn out to work better for me. It was a cool feature to have on the Xbox (not that I used it on there, it's still awesome to have for accessibility purposes) and it's a cool feature to have on the Switch too. I like that it displays a little wrench icon on the control setup icon in the bottom left to show it's customised, too. Nice little touch.

(Edit: Nah. Switched the buttons back. Too awkward in games, especially when the actual layout is the same even if the names are different, and the in-game UIs don't change to accomodate it. Just going to have to remember their functions in the system UI.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I hope the expansion adds some actually interesting or challenging content to the game. I can’t remember where I am precisely, but I have beaten almost every fight with just the starter scorbunny.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    pokemon needs to evolve...haha

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, every time I try one, I go in with delusions of difficulty, and I always end up disappointed.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    For a little bit they did have a dynamax raid where you fought a crazy powerful Mewtwo. I want them to do more of that since it actually required teamwork and strategy as opposed to just spamming attacks like other raids.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    OK, real talk. Who’s down for some online panel de Pon? Like, I want to create a weekly occurrence of this game being played because it’s too sweet not to be played. Hell, if there’s enough interest, I’d even run a tournament with prizes!
    I might be up for some casual matches. Broke out Panel De Pon for a little bit of a nostalgia trip yesterday, and it was enjoyable as I remembered it being, more than twenty years ago. Unfortunately, I also discovered that my strategies were somewhat questionable. I kept on messing up getting chains, and a lot of the chains I went for were of the tricky active type. Maybe it's because the only other version of Puzzle League I've played was the DS incarnation, and that game had both slow block clear speed and quick block movement (thanks to the stylus), making active chain creation much easier. But it's probably because young me just didn't have good planning skills and built up poor habits. (Then again, maybe I actually had good habits and I don't know it yet since I haven't looked up VS strategies yet. But it certainly feels like I'm doing worse than I could be doing. EDIT: I think I might just be slow. Gotta play more to recognize good patterns, I guess.)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    OK, real talk. Who’s down for some online panel de Pon? Like, I want to create a weekly occurrence of this game being played because it’s too sweet not to be played. Hell, if there’s enough interest, I’d even run a tournament with prizes!

I would be, but to be honest with you I don't think that Switch owners (especially here) are even interested in playing online with others. Remember what happened when we tried to do the NES Online tournament/league?

Edit: I have yet to find a single person to play multiplayer switch games with and I've been trying consistently since release day.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    What games do you want to play and what’s your Timezone? I usually visit islands in Animal Crossing mostly. I don’t play a lot of online games anymore.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020

Edit: woopsie

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I’ve played some of the online NES and SNES, the online implementation is so clunky even compared to other Nintendo games Though that it’s tough to even get something like Ice Hockey or Mario Kart to really work.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    What games do you want to play and what’s your Timezone? I usually visit islands in Animal Crossing mostly. I don’t play a lot of online games anymore.

Central, almost everything except Animal Crossing

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    Every so often, I will find my Yarn Yoshi amiibo in my niece’s bed because it’s pink and she has a poor grasp of property rights.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Disappointed that Samus isn't in Mario Kart. But there's a Samus suit & helmet for a Mii... which needs an amiibo... and the Samus amiibos are kind of awesome and not very expensive... this is how it begins, isn't it.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    This is the way

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    I'd be down for some online multiplayer shenanigans but there are too many factors to the whole thing on Switch (when it comes to this thread).

1. Do I have the multiplayer/online games that you have (and/or the money to buy those games if I'm interested in them)
    2. Do we enjoy the same/similar types of games (I can try/play something new if it's not too bad)
    3. If we do, then are we in a similar time zone (one or two hours difference is negligible)
    4. If we are, then what times (of the day) are you available to play (I'm still working until 2 PM EST every day during our quarantine so ... yeah)
    5. I'm probably over complicating things so ignore most of the previous points

The problem is that we don't have someone on these boards that will coordinate (or be willing to coordinate) any tournaments. I would have been down to lose (horribly) to you guys if you just needed someone to fill a spot in the brackets. Who knows, I could have been a contender, like a dark horse, a phoenix rising from the ashes, or maybe an "I'll be back ..." after the end.

In other news, I'm lonely and bored, but at the same time have no time to dedicate to planning tournaments ... curse you real life.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Everyone. What the Golf is awesome. That is all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    I'd be down for some online multiplayer shenanigans but there are too many factors to the whole t

The problem is that we don't have someone on these boards that will coordinate (or be willing to coordinate) any tournaments.

That's not the problem, @MNC Dover tried to organize the last one and it looks like he's trying again now. We have someone to co-ordinate, the problem is not enough people in this community/thread are actually willing to play online with other community members.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Keep in mind a lot of people just now got Switches because of the pandemic. I'd be down for a game night of some sort, if you put up a sign up sheet.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    An a l g o r i t h m decided to show me this review of Lonely Mountains: Downhill and, being a huge fan of going up a mountain I figured, why not going down a mountain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIONjYnnhTk

It's pretty fun!

It's not as... tight as Getting Over It, controls wise; it's much more player friendly but at the same time sometimes the game's "help" is unwanted. My main issue is that the trails have their own sort of gravity, which combined with the cinematic camera angle means that pushing the stick this far left is not going to give you the same results all the time. But that's usually only an issue when you're trying to explore or cheat your way down a slope. As long as you're using the trails and shortcuts you're expected to use, it works pretty dang well.

The unlock and checkpoint systems are very nice. Resetting to a checkpoint resets your time as well, so you can keep crashing over and over until you hit a personal best for that segment. But to mix it up, there are unlocks tied to not crashing/resetting too often on a run, and runs with no checkpoints at all. It's minor stuff, but it's a good implementation.

It's also very pleasing that the types of bikes do actually affect the game. I skipped over all of them and saved straight up to the most expensive one, and it very obviously trivializes jumps that would've been a crash on the starter bike. Which feels good! You can go back to the trails where you found all these sweet jumps and actually complete them.

Each mountain has a set of trails but they all end at the same point, so there's nothing artificially stopping you from taking whatever route you want down the mountain; on one of the runs where I was going for a crash based unlock, I ended up on an earlier, easier trail and made it down no problem.

Overall, it's a very nice little game so far. It's been good for thirty minutes here and there, sometimes just getting through a checkpoint or two on a trail. Would recommend if you like this sort of thing.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Lonely Mountains Downhill is a fantastic game. I got turned on to it by Ron Funches via a GB Top GOTY list.

• Options
    My daughter had been saving up and got the last blue Switch Lite at a Walmart 30 minutes away today. Got her profile transferred over to it, and she's enjoying the Splatfest on it now.

Only downside is we discovered the issue with DLC. She can't play Octo Expansion because I bought it on my profile, and since it's not my primary console, she can't use it on her profile. I can't transfer my primary to her new Lite, because then her siblings would lose access to it on the main Switch. So yeah. :(

Hopefully the continued prevalence of "family" licensing (iOS, Android, maybe others?) for purchases will bring Nintendo towards that in the future. Same as a family online account, just allow eshop across those accounts as well.

Anyway, she's absolutely loving it, and having her own, and I'm glad that we could find the color she wanted.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    My daughter had been saving up and got the last blue Switch Lite at a Walmart 30 minutes away today. Got her profile transferred over to it, and she's enjoying the Splatfest on it now.

Only downside is we discovered the issue with DLC. She can't play Octo Expansion because I bought it on my profile, and since it's not my primary console, she can't use it on her profile. I can't transfer my primary to her new Lite, because then her siblings would lose access to it on the main Switch. So yeah. :(

Hopefully the continued prevalence of "family" licensing (iOS, Android, maybe others?) for purchases will bring Nintendo towards that in the future. Same as a family online account, just allow eshop across those accounts as well.

Anyway, she's absolutely loving it, and having her own, and I'm glad that we could find the color she wanted.

It's a shame there's no Game Share/Home console setup for Switch. Nintendo's really behind the curve on this stuff, probably intentionally.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

It's a shame there's no Game Share/Home console setup for Switch. Nintendo's really behind the curve on this stuff, probably intentionally.

There is, and this particular problem isn't fixed by it. In fact, none of the consoles would be able to handle this problem.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »

There is, and this particular problem isn't fixed by it. In fact, none of the consoles would be able to handle this problem.

I can play anything, including dlc, purchased with my main xbox account on both profile and both xbox's. And play games we've purchased just once online together.

So it's very doable if Nintendo wanted to.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    It's fine with one switch. It's just now with having multiple it begins to show the issue. It'd be fine if she used my profile, but hers is the one with everything unlocked.

It is a bit irritating, since my profile is on the Switch lite and I downloaded it and opened it with mine so in an ideal environment it would trigger a local console license for 30 days or something.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

I can play anything, including dlc, purchased with my main xbox account on both profile and both xbox's. And play games we've purchased just once online together.

That's not what's being described here, though: Account 1 owns the DLC and has Switch 1 as their Home, Account 2 moves to Switch 2 while Accounts 3+ remain on Switch 1. There's no way for Account 2 to have access to Account 1's licenses without making it so Accounts 3+ no longer have access to them. If this was happening on the Xbox, would Accounts 3+ on Xbox 1 still be able to play the games owned by Account 1 if they moved their Home console to Xbox 2?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

That's not what's being described here, though: Account 1 owns the DLC and has Switch 1 as their Home, Account 2 moves to Switch 2 while Accounts 3+ remain on Switch 1. There's no way for Account 2 to have access to Account 1's licenses without making it so Accounts 3+ no longer have access to them. If this was happening on the Xbox, would Accounts 3+ on Xbox 1 still be able to play the games owned by Account 1 if they moved their Home console to Xbox 2?

Ah, I got ya. I was just looking at it as a 2 account issue. My bad.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Yeah, a bunch of kid accounts makes it difficult.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    I bought Just Dance 2020 since it’s on sale. I cant dance, like at all! It’s good workout and I like the crazy amount of songs (as long as you subscribe).

Also please send help, my body is refusing to move any more.

• Options
    That NBA 2K20 sale is certainly eye-catching. Even for someone with no interest in basketball.