As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I got those True Blue Minis. Amazon keeps selling them and they are not getting sued for some reason.

The hacking community is most displeased about their existence since the True Blue people use the hacking community's work for profit.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Sigh. It kills me to say it, but I think I'm out on the TurboGrafx-16 mini.

As much as I want it, and have wanted it since it was announced (and wanted to get into TG16 since I was a kid), I just can't pull the trigger on a nearly $200 cost for this thing.

Pisses me off that Amazon.ca doesn't sell them (well, save for secondhand dealers who want around $350). Might alleviate a lot of the problem with shipping, import fees, and if Google is to be believed, Amazon's rip-off conversion rate.

It only cost me around $108, from Amazon.jp no less...

Guess things are different for Canada somehow. I looked into it, and it was only six dollars less (for the record, I rounded before; the cost from .com came to $193 and some change).

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I have extra controllers and the controller adaptor coming. I'm thinking I don't need to spend that much for a couple multiplayer sessions

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
      cj iwakura wrote: »
      Sigh. It kills me to say it, but I think I'm out on the TurboGrafx-16 mini.

As much as I want it, and have wanted it since it was announced (and wanted to get into TG16 since I was a kid), I just can't pull the trigger on a nearly $200 cost for this thing.

Pisses me off that Amazon.ca doesn't sell them (well, save for secondhand dealers who want around $350). Might alleviate a lot of the problem with shipping, import fees, and if Google is to be believed, Amazon's rip-off conversion rate.

It only cost me around $108, from Amazon.jp no less...

Guess things are different for Canada somehow. I looked into it, and it was only six dollars less (for the record, I rounded before; the cost from .com came to $193 and some change).

If you look at Amazon Japan, make sure you look at the price as you are "paying" for it since they remove their tax at that point. I forget how much the tax is...
      TimFiji wrote: »
      I have extra controllers and the controller adaptor coming. I'm thinking I don't need to spend that much for a couple multiplayer sessions

Sure you do. For you, yourself, and your former self.

oosik_betsuni.png
      Steam: betsuni7
      Oh yeah, thanks @LBD_Nytetrayn I now have a Genesis Mini on its way.

oosik_betsuni.png
    • JazzJazz Registered User regular

But Bomberman.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Modding the NES/SNES Classic was surprisingly easy. I only added maybe 10-15 games to each that I felt were missing, but forget about that, let's talk about that button combo reset. This one small change makes the systems 1000% more usable. I get why they didn't put it into the systems (we want it authentic, short cord and all!), but it really should have been there.

Oh well, it's there now!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
      I was streaming my SNES classic campaign of FF3(VI) on twitch tonight. Normally I just stream so my friend and I can play through together since we can't in person, but had a good group of folks in there chatting while we played. It was cool.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
        Aw man, I would have tuned in if I were home. Great SNES game and best SNES OST.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
        MNC Dover wrote: »
        Modding the NES/SNES Classic was surprisingly easy. I only added maybe 10-15 games to each that I felt were missing, but forget about that, let's talk about that button combo reset. This one small change makes the systems 1000% more usable. I get why they didn't put it into the systems (we want it authentic, short cord and all!), but it really should have been there.

Oh well, it's there now!

I didn’t want that “authentic” short cord. Besides, Nintendo should have made the cords longer if they were concerned about authenticity.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
        The "we want it authentic" line was coming from Nintendo, not the fanbase. Nobody wanted a 3' cord.

Steam ID
        Twitch Page
        I guess it could have been worse. The controllers could have been smaller and permanently attached to the system like the Famicom.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
        edited May 2020
        IIRC, today is the new official release date for the TG-16 Mini in the US. I know some of you have dates a few days hence, but who's expecting one today?

(And I'll say again, please post hilarious size comparison pics with your other minis if you have them!)

Jazz on
      • BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
        Mine is set for delivery today.

I guess it could have been worse. The controllers could have been smaller and permanently attached to the system like the Famicom.

I'm glad I got the 8bitdo SNES SNpro+ or whatever it is. Wireless and accurate.

BigJoeM wrote: »

Mine got changed to Tuesday. Poop.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
            Jazz wrote: »
            IIRC, today is the new official release date for the TG-16 Mini in the US. I know some of you have dates a few days hence, but who's expecting one today?

(And I'll say again, please post hilarious size comparison pics with your other minis if you have them!)

Mine says it will be delivered (maybe) Saturday. Oddly it shows a warning that it might be delayed since it went to the wrong destination (well duh, it went or is going to two states north of me). I've read posts of Amazon packages being sent to the wrong warehouses lately. Heck someone on the East Coast said that their package was sent to a California warehouse.

oosik_betsuni.png
            I would love a MAME machine but don’t want to have to jump through tons of hoops to get it to work.

Steam ID
            Twitch Page

Mine got changed to Tuesday. Poop.

Update: Arriving tomorrow.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
              I would love a MAME machine but don’t want to have to jump through tons of hoops to get it to work.

If you have a nes/snes mini you basically have one

Betsuni wrote: »

Mine says it will be delivered (maybe) Saturday. Oddly it shows a warning that it might be delayed since it went to the wrong destination (well duh, it went or is going to two states north of me). I've read posts of Amazon packages being sent to the wrong warehouses lately. Heck someone on the East Coast said that their package was sent to a California warehouse.

I know where I live ups is having problems with drivers and packages are just bot showing up some days.

edited May 2020
              rldhqo174791.jpg
              Mine showed up. It is by far the biggest of the mini consoles. It pretty much covers my tablet. I would upload pics but they're too big (not a pun)

BigJoeM on
              Mine showed up. It is by far the biggest of the mini consoles. It pretty much covers my tablet. I would upload pics but they're too big (not a pun)

I always use a photo resizer app when posting photos I've taken on my phone directly to the forums. The one I use is Photo Resizer HD on Android, but there's probably about a million others.

I always use a photo resizer app when posting photos I've taken on my phone directly to the forums. The one I use is Photo Resizer HD on Android, but there's probably about a million others.

I use MS Paint after copying the files over from my phone.

Just got my Mini Genesis. Haven't had time to unbox it and check it out but I'm glad I got one now. This weekend is going to be retro weekend with this and my TG-16 showing up.

oosik_betsuni.png
              RickRude wrote: »

I saw it was possible to make MAME happen, but involved a lot more steps and external storage. Not sure if I’m ready for that.

Steam ID
              Twitch Page
            • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
              Mine says it's coming Tuesday but it hasn't shipped yet. Considering how screwed up shipping is, I have my doubts.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

I saw it was possible to make MAME happen, but involved a lot more steps and external storage. Not sure if I’m ready for that.

Depends on how much you want to put on your system. A full arcade set? Forget about it. But a handful of favorites should be fine.And MAME can be a bit fussy to work with.

In the mean time, I recommend enjoying what you have for now. Once I started adding stuff, it quickly ballooned out of control and I got external storage and...yeah.

Thanks for the link to the photo resizer. Here's another size comparisonj77he8dnlf68.jpg

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
              Once you're starting to mess with external storage, you may as well just go with a raspberry Pi machine and build what suits you best.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
              cloudeagle wrote: »
              Once you're starting to mess with external storage, you may as well just go with a raspberry Pi machine and build what suits you best.

Yeah, and that's where I don't want to go. The Classic stuff was about as deep down the rabbit hole as I want to go. Once I have to start changing file types, adding in OS, flashing things, or any of that stuff, I mentally check out.

Steam ID
              Twitch Page
              SteevL wrote: »

Depends on how much you want to put on your system. A full arcade set? Forget about it. But a handful of favorites should be fine.And MAME can be a bit fussy to work with.

In the mean time, I recommend enjoying what you have for now. Once I started adding stuff, it quickly ballooned out of control and I got external storage and...yeah.

Yeah i haven't tinkered with mine in ages but I went down the rabbit hole. Had things all sorted in multiple folders, external storage, was tinkering with it every other day it seemed.

The possibilities are truly limitless @MNC Dover . It's how far down the hole you want to go lol

Nah, go with the FPGAs if you are going down the build your own. The RPi is nice, but man does it have its limitations. Although there are sites out there that make it super easy to get and set up.

oosik_betsuni.png
              I put together a working Raspberry Pi but ease of use is not its strong suit.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
              edited May 2020

Nah, go with the FPGAs if you are going down the build your own. The RPi is nice, but man does it have its limitations. Although there are sites out there that make it super easy to get and set up.

An RPi 4 can emulate exponentially more systems/arcade machines, and you can use it as a full Linux desktop and media center if you want. And I'm pretty sure the cost is about half of what I've put into my MiSTer so far.

I love my MiSTer but it's real hard for me to recommend one over a RPi unless you are a crazy old person (like me) who cares way too much about emulation accuracy and input lag.

august on
              august wrote: »

An RPi 4 can emulate exponentially more systems/arcade machines, and you can use it as a full Linux desktop and media center if you want. And I'm pretty sure the cost is about half of what I've put into my MiSTer so far.

I love my MiSTer but it's real hard for me to recommend one over a RPi unless you are a crazy old person (like me) who cares way too much about emulation accuracy and input lag.

True, but with MiSTer you will have a hardware system more than software simulation which is what we have now with the minis.

I've dabbled a lot with the RPi (haven't touched the 4 yet which I want to try out) and they are neat "toys" but they have their limitations. Which is why I want to try out the larger RAM on the 4 or the FPGA to see how solid they are. But the price tag on just messing around with the FPGA boards turns me off.

On topic to the thread. My TG-16 is out for delivery!!! I so can't wait!

oosik_betsuni.png
              All these acronyms are pushing me way further away from the rabbit hole. :biggrin:

Steam ID
              Twitch Page
              All these acronyms are pushing me way further away from the rabbit hole. :biggrin:

I've been fine with just my SNES Classic. I like the built-in UI, even if it is a bit limiting. :)

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Fine, just go pick up S/NES, TG-16/PCE, MD, and PSX minis, oh and let's not forget ZX and the C64!