As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Bread] Thread! A Thread all about Bread!

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Also you can fridge it to keep feedings down to every week or two.

hell I've had a starter in the fridge for 3 months and able to bring it back with just 3 feeds in a week of 1/2 cup of flour and water. starters very rarely die flat out.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So I fed my starter for the first time today and uh

midb6skwci93.jpg

SHE SEEMS PRETTY HEALTHY

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i've had good luck keeping my starter in one of those easiyo containers for the yogurt maker. easy to stir and then smooth down, easy yo mark the side with my rubber band to check growth.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Lack of a good jar is why I haven't started a new starter yet myself

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i was using old spaghetti sauce jars at first.

• Options
    I want a jar with flat sides like pipe has. All my spatulas are hard to stir and scrape with in a regular jar.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just use some well sealing tupperware because it’s already in the house and I’m nothing if not lazy.
    Though I do have a whatsit like pipe has, somewhere.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, I feed my starter 2-3 oz of flour if I'm making bread in the next day and only 1.5 if I'm not. Doesn't use much.
    Also, discovered a local flour mill (western ma is close enough)that ships and they send in such amazing cloth bags. First round with their 00 pizza dough is tonight. Just the smell of fresh flour milled 3 days prior is amazing.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I must have gone to the grocery at exactly the right time, because the other day I found another ten pound bag of bread flour on the shelves there. Huzzah!

Before I got the first bag the other week, I had no idea how much better the bread-baking experience would be with bread flour vs AP. It's night and day.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I use a half litre mason jar. It’s a bit small for feeds when it is in the fridge and getting back of to speed (it is in the fridge Saturday through Wednesday) but it’s about right when I do the levain.

It’s main advantage is that I own more than one of them so I can throw an empty one on the scales, tare it and I know how much to remove to get back down the like twenty or thirty grams.

• Options
    The jar in that picture was a wide mouth 500ml mason jar.

After that feeding I took half the starter and put it in a Tupperware into the freezer as a backup. The other half went into a 1 litre mason jar.

My wife makes pickles and jam and stuff so we have mason jars out the ass.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah. A lot of starter feeding guides say like do fifty grams of starter, but that will push it to the top, but that uses a lot of flour so now I just use twenty grams. And will occasionally throw a sample into a seperate plastic bag and put it in the freezer.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Ball jars are super cheap and they sell them basically everywhere. They have a two-part lid, too, so you can just use the ring and some cheesecloth if you want to do a fermentation project.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    My pattern is to take the 30g of starter out of the fridge two mornings before baking, then feed 30g each flour and water in the morning, and 90g each flour and water in the evening. Next morning I make the levain with 35g of the starter, take 10g and feed it 10g each of flour and water and refrigerate it as the new starter. The rest is used to make a savoury pancake that is perfectly sized for Wyborn and myself to have for breakfast.

I've read about people keeping only a miniscule amount of starter (like 3-5g) and feeding it up through the week, with no discarding. But that involved some irregular feed times and I wanted a relatively brainless schedule

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Pain du jour:

ddrqejpu8eze.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2020
    #pipe wrote: »

midb6skwci93.jpg

SHE SEEMS PRETTY HEALTHY

I have named her Jolene

Today I made my first sourdough Pullman loaf.
    f5sby99of664.jpg

4luj0mc9hl1u.jpg

It's definitely not a traditional sourdough. Because it doesn't have anywhere to go, the crumb stays very tight. The crust is thin but crisp and delicious. The bread itself is lovely and buttery and soft and has a nice sour twang.

This is my first sourdough project ever and I'm so pleased!

Edit: also my methods weren't perfect but it was so forgiving! I made the levain yesterday morning but then didn't have a chance to finish the loaf last night so the levain sat for like 30 hours before getting mixed into the dough. The bulk ferment was slow but not terribly, and the 2nd ferment was just fine. It'll probably be even better next time.

#pipe on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

midb6skwci93.jpg

SHE SEEMS PRETTY HEALTHY

I have named her Jolene

Today I made my first sourdough Pullman loaf.
    f5sby99of664.jpg

4luj0mc9hl1u.jpg

It's definitely not a traditional sourdough. Because it doesn't have anywhere to go, the crumb stays very tight. The crust is thin but crisp and delicious. The bread itself is lovely and buttery and soft and has a nice sour twang.

This is my first sourdough project ever and I'm so pleased!

You gotta make up a grilled cheese with that right there. Yep.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    that is definitely my breakfast plan.

although it's 12:30am and I'm eating my third slice with butter because it's SO DELICIOUS and I fear I might just sleep eat the whole thing

• Options
    I should get one of them pans

• Options
  • Options
    Got some brioche dough resting for a bit before it goes in the fridge overnight.

Gonna make some beignets tomorrow, aw yee. Baked, not fried. Really not interested in setting up a deep fry arrangement.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Raw onions in a grilled cheese? That's a first.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Hardly. Red onions are nice in grilled cheese.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Cheese and onion is a pretty classic combo

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Technique is improving, got a good rise this time, small but nice looking ears on the bread as well. First and second proof all done at room temp, we'll see how the flavor compares to some of the cold proofs I've done in the fridge. Only downside with the cold proof I've found is I don't quite have my timing down and it's a coin flip if I overprove or not.

Photo time!
    aXgXqw1h.png
    ELoaDgrh.png?1

• Options
    I'm trying the floured towel in a bowl trick. Gonna try and see if it helps keep the shape of the boule

• Options
    Hey what do you bread heads do with starter that's not bread? I don't wanna just chuck it after every feed

• Options
    Pancakes are a good one.

• Options
    Recipes or links would be good if possible

• Options
    RandomEncounterRandomEncounter Registered User regular
    I made these yesterday with my discard,they were pretty good.

https://www.theclevercarrot.com/2020/05/homemade-fluffy-sourdough-pancakes/

• Options
    What would happen if you just

Fried the sourdough starter right in a pan?

• Options
    RandomEncounterRandomEncounter Registered User regular
    Probably some kind of tangy flatbread

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    My wife made some flour tortillas with sourdough discard that were very good.

Peen on
  • Options
    iv'e got 2 cups of discard in my fridge, waiting.

I'm thinking i'm gonna give that KAF crumble cake a good try.

@#pipe the KAF sourdough pretzels are really good, as is the chocolate cake. my only caution on the choc cake is that it makes a full 9x13 pan and if you don't have anybody willing to eat the cake with you, it can be a bit much.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I was gonna make another rye loaf today but when I formed the loaf I realised it was either gonna turn into an absolute monster, or I'd have to make two small loaves. Neither sounded appealing. So my first thought was to turn 1/3 of the dough into rye pita, and make a loaf out of the rest. Then when I started to bake the pita breads I remembered that actually flatbread is unequivocally the best bread form so i made pita out of the whole lot instead.

pz3qys6l953y.jpg

vrd6psj5jtok.jpg
    oky0chfytp2x.jpg
    hitr5e94krfe.jpg

The best thing about pan flatbreads is you don't have to wait for them to cool before eating.

78pdygkli310.jpg

tynic on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I call bullshit, none of those are anywhere near flat. More like oblongbread.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I am trying the floured towel in the bowl proofing trick today.

I'll let y'all know how I go.

• Options
  • Options
    Beignets! Baked, because there's no way I'm setting up for a deep fry in my kitchen. Used a brioche dough sweetened with a mixture of honey and maple syrup.

45a9ee17rt67.jpg