As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a Sakuga [Anime] Thread

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    damn it shinji

Fate/Stay Night?
    Drascin wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    damn it shinji

Leave Shinji alone, the kid is doing better than most of us would in his place.

absolutely not, no

No, really, the kid mostly just falls apart to himself but still keeps trucking until he completely cracks.

I've generally had a rule of thumb since fifteen years ago. Whenever someone says Shinji was "a pussy" or "a wimp" or something similar, chances are I can probably ignore anything else they say about media and not miss very much. And I don't even like Evangelion! It's a bad show! But it's kind of an useful indicator, like clams in the water.

Well, the thing with Shinji is that he ran out of self-worth (or never had any to begin with) and is waiting for the people around him to tell him whether he's worth keeping alive. Anybody who actually has any sense of self-worth is gonna do better. Now, the question is whether any of us, given the same upbringing and treatment, the same life, essentially, would fare any better? No, because then we would be Shinji, and not ourselves.

(Unless we isekai'd ourselves into Shinji's body, but that's a fanfic for another time.)

Okay so what if

what if

we remove Shinji from the toxic hell hole of his father, and the utterly dysfunction of NERV officers who view him as essentially a cog in an anti-apocalypse weapon first and foremost and

say

Have him make friends with Koji Kabuto, the Getter Pilots and a few Gundam pilots.*

*Super Robot Wars I'm describing Super Robot Wars

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Give. Shinji. A. Psychoframe.

You are light. You can even use sadness as fuel to light the way.

When the Psycho-Frame is overloaded with a singular will or an over-concentration of multiple human wills, it emits a luminescent phenomenon[4] similar to a vivid aurora and is described as a "warm light" that gives one a sense of safety and removes feelings of fear[5]. It is suggested that the reason this phenomenon occurs is in part from the Psycho-Frame drawing energy from a higher dimension that Newtypes can ascend to[6].

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Favorite anime in three words?

I'll do it in two:

EVEN SO!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

I'll do it in two:

EVEN SO!

Is that Unicorn? it's the only one that comes to mind (Which you know, if so, GOOD CHOICE)

...i should do Yet Another Unicorn rewatch. Watching Banahanger go from zero to hero is great.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

I'll do it in two:

EVEN SO!

Is that Unicorn? it's the only one that comes to mind (Which you know, if so, GOOD CHOICE)

...i should do Yet Another Unicorn rewatch. Watching Banahanger go from zero to hero is great.

Yep

It gets a ton of flack, particularly because of banagher and that “even so” attitude but the entire point is to drive home the idea of what human potential can accomplish against cycles of violence and cynicism passing itself off as realism. While Banagher’s character work is iffy throughout the series as an embodiment of that philosophy he gets the work done well

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

I'll do it in two:

EVEN SO!

Yep

It gets a ton of flack, particularly because of banagher and that “even so” attitude but the entire point is to drive home the idea of what human potential can accomplish against cycles of violence and cynicism passing itself off as realism. While Banagher’s character work is iffy throughout the series as an embodiment of that philosophy he gets the work done well

I actually really like Banagher overall.

Plus, he learns Summon Gundam and that's like the most player character thing ever.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Waiting for the spinoff where Bakarina tries to survive after her exile

I think she fundamentally misunderstands exile. Like she'd probably just live in a mansion in a different country

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Non Non Biyori season 3 is airing in January 2021.

Season 3 visual:
    n4LRZuL.jpg

Airing in the same season as Yuru Camp season 2. Winter season is going to be super comfy.

Isorn on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Good news: The Railgun anime finished its arc this week, and the ending was super sweet and satisfying
    Also good news: Next episode is a new canon arc, and not more filler!
    Bad news: Railgun is on hiatus until July 24th. Boo Covid 19!

• Options
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Are we sure that's accurate? I can't find any other sources on it.

• Options

It just popped up on my alerts which is odd because I havent mentioned Jojo in months. I may have just been excited

• Options

Probably not accurate. Even on that site it has this line at the end.
    However, We’ll have to wait for an official announcement as nothing is confirmed.
    Which basically invalidates everything they said before this line.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Its been a minute since i watched Unicorn. But my big gripe against banagher is that he seems so, so dumb when it comes to Audrey. Like i understand he wants to protect her and keep her out of danger. but even when she reveals her true identity like, he shakes his head and says "No, you're Audrey." it was frustrating to me.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    damn it shinji

Fate/Stay Night?
    damn it shinji

absolutely not, no

No, really, the kid mostly just falls apart to himself but still keeps trucking until he completely cracks.

I've generally had a rule of thumb since fifteen years ago. Whenever someone says Shinji was "a pussy" or "a wimp" or something similar, chances are I can probably ignore anything else they say about media and not miss very much. And I don't even like Evangelion! It's a bad show! But it's kind of an useful indicator, like clams in the water.

Well, the thing with Shinji is that he ran out of self-worth (or never had any to begin with) and is waiting for the people around him to tell him whether he's worth keeping alive. Anybody who actually has any sense of self-worth is gonna do better. Now, the question is whether any of us, given the same upbringing and treatment, the same life, essentially, would fare any better? No, because then we would be Shinji, and not ourselves.

(Unless we isekai'd ourselves into Shinji's body, but that's a fanfic for another time.)

Okay so what if

what if

we remove Shinji from the toxic hell hole of his father, and the utterly dysfunction of NERV officers who view him as essentially a cog in an anti-apocalypse weapon first and foremost and

say

Have him make friends with Koji Kabuto, the Getter Pilots and a few Gundam pilots.*

Just let's save ourselves the whole "slap Shinji to make him a man" thing. The memetic Bright Slap didn't even actually work on Amuro the first time, how the balls did this become a meme!

But yeah, a SRW-style support structure would definitely change how things go entirely. I mean, hell, SRWX makes Ange from Cross Ange into a largely decent human being, just from being surrounded with people like Wataru or Cecily, and that's WAY more of a lost case than Shinji could be in a million years.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I'm up to episode 11 of my Utena rewatch and I'd forgotten just how trash tier all the dudes in this show are.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Redrawing Sailor Moon is popular now, eh?

https://youtu.be/NBfeHmyL4UY

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I'm up to episode 11 of my Utena rewatch and I'd forgotten just how trash tier all the dudes in this show are.

I mean, considering the focus of the show

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    damn it shinji

Fate/Stay Night?
    damn it shinji

absolutely not, no

Okay so what if

what if

say

Just let's save ourselves the whole "slap Shinji to make him a man" thing. The memetic Bright Slap didn't even actually work on Amuro the first time, how the balls did this become a meme!

But yeah, a SRW-style support structure would definitely change how things go entirely. I mean, hell, SRWX makes Ange from Cross Ange into a largely decent human being, just from being surrounded with people like Wataru or Cecily, and that's WAY more of a lost case than Shinji could be in a million years.

I haven't gotten to play them but my understanding with how those SRWs (I think it's the Alpha trilogy/Quadrilogy**) like had a team of peers who weren't struggling with severe emotional trauma* and were actually able to form friendships that help Shinji to recover from his alienation and allow him to form a somewhat healthier sense of self and understanding of the world and those around him. Or at least as much as one can during the midst of a giant crossover robot story RPG. Does it do the Bright slap stuff instead?

also for Amuro I think at least for Japan it's a lot to do with Toru Furuya's delivery on the follow up line of "My father didn't even hit me!" (which seems to be more iconic at times than the slap itself?)

*or were alien god beings placed in a mom-shaped human shell
    **Does it stay a Trilogy or does Gaiden make it a Quadrilogy even though its title would infer its a side story?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Question for other folks watching/have watched Utena:

Where do you come down on the movie? Alternate retelling, or do you think it's actually a follow up of the end of the TV series given
    Anthy's more direct behavior and personality in guiding Utena to understand what is going on, plus the repeated references to "The Outside World"?

Without making it blatant in the text, is the movie Anthy rescuing Utena from the sacrifice she makes at the end of the TV series to replace Anthy as the object of hate, breaking the system that would trap them both and bringing her back to their world?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

Yes but they are amazing garbage. The highest class.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Tower of God episodes are too short

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Alternate retelling all the way.

I don't really have any deep argument for or against really. I just think the TV series ending is absolutely perfect and trying to connect it and go "but what if the movie is actually round 2?" kind of cheapens the experience.

No offense, if you support that argument though of course, that's just where I'm coming from.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

I mean, considering the focus of the show

Yeah I know, I just remember all those dudes being quite popular at the height of the bishie craze.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Utena's cast of characters are exquisitely trash. Some finely crafted terrible people.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean the guys in utena are all trash, it is true

But also Nanami is right there

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
  • Options
    "I'm prepared to start living with you at any time!" *Wall slam*

Bakarina is great (And suddenly having Tuxedo mask cameo)

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Kaguya S2 episode 07:

Yeah, we are not even halfway through this year yet, but this is the best anime of this year already, I cannot imagine anything that would be able to beat this adaptation.

In this episode we've got:
    Bishigami

Bishirogane

Shitty spoiler girl

more Bakaguya

and Miko Iino's bad, not good, very very not nice first week in the council

12/10.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Miko needs help

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Question for other folks watching/have watched Utena:

Where do you come down on the movie? Alternate retelling, or do you think it's actually a follow up of the end of the TV series given
    Anthy's more direct behavior and personality in guiding Utena to understand what is going on, plus the repeated references to "The Outside World"?

Without making it blatant in the text, is the movie Anthy rescuing Utena from the sacrifice she makes at the end of the TV series to replace Anthy as the object of hate, breaking the system that would trap them both and bringing her back to their world?

I've always thought it being a highly metaphorical follow up is the more interesting reading, so that's what I choose to go with.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Alright, so this guy's name is just Best Jeanist.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Kaguya S2 episode 07:

Yeah, we are not even halfway through this year yet, but this is the best anime of this year already, I cannot imagine anything that would be able to beat this adaptation.

In this episode we've got:
    Bishigami

Bishirogane

Shitty spoiler girl

more Bakaguya

and Miko Iino's bad, not good, very very not nice first week in the council

12/10.

Just saw S2E6, but I'll have to wait for next week for 7.

Agree though, the adaptation has been phenomenal.

• Options
    Alright, so this guy's name is just Best Jeanist.

I mean he's earned the "Best Jeanist" award 8 years in a row so I'd say he's earned it

Steam ID
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    this weeks bakarina is filler, and Mary has THE BIG gay

• Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    obviously everyone's desire is Catarina, and obviously Catarina's desire is... to eat a house

Steam ID
  • Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Mary going nuts this episode cracked me up.

Also Sophia knows the real love rival to beat.

ZyZRKaL.png

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    sophia with the extremely powerful kabedon

• Options
    For Kaguya manga and anime consumers:
    There was a TON of foreshadowing in this episode of future arcs and events.

This discussion has been closed.