As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    A match of DoW is more equivalent to a map campaign on the table top. Though for the fog of war you'd need a third person controling the map. Is there maybe an app for that?

honovere on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Apparently there was a brief leak of the reveal today:
    It's a new edition.

Key elements;
    • A new logo for 40k
    • Changes that affect every army and every game
    • Core rules still free, multiple ways to get the full rulebook
    • Codexes and expansions (including White Dwarf rules) still legal
    • The Psychic Awakening rules were written with 9th edition in mind
    • Forge World is the big exception to old rules being legal - the update for that is coming soon after 9th's release
    • Every faction will get a revised codex at some point during this edition
    • There will be a lot of points changes across armies to reflect changes in unit power from rule alterations
    • This year's going to be focused heavily on Necrons
    • There's a new "Crusade system" that seems focused on narrative campaigns

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    It's a new edition.

Key elements;
    • A new logo for 40k
    • Forge World is the big exception to old rules being legal - the update for that is coming soon after 9th's release
    • There will be a lot of points changes across armies to reflect changes in unit power from rule alterations

Ok but what about the new Primaris Lieutenants?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    It's a new edition.

Key elements;
    • A new logo for 40k

They do promise lots of new models!

Surprisingly they're apparently not announcing a box set today, but tease that they will be soon. So that's probably where we'll see the next Lieutenant. :P

edited May 2020
    It's a new edition.

Key elements;
    • A new logo for 40k
    so I guess the death faction in AoS proved to be popular and Silent King is going all Nagash.

The stories for Pariah seem to be about necrons syphoning the willpower/life force/souls from the living.

Only Core rules being free is kinda useless.

honovere on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I bought the 8th edition rulebook like 2 weeks ago...

-Loki- wrote: »

I might misremember but I think people that did that last time got a voucher or something?

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    It's a new edition.

Key elements;
    • A new logo for 40k

yd3qn4dn0xh2.png

Leaks
    xivwqkw9ysku.jpg
    jlomcjwdlp9u.jpg
    ppwfi33a689g.jpg
    ngmsn8x307ee.jpg
    b2r8c2i5usx0.png

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    They spent some fuckin' money on that trailer, unless the graininess wasn't just twitch compression

uH3IcEi.png
    That was a real good trailer. So glad Sisters are taking centre stage in the advertising for this edition.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    That was a real good trailer. So glad Sisters are taking centre stage in the advertising for this edition.

The trailer was great.

Female guardsman and sister upfront. Also the new models look awesome. I love the return to the gothic feel.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    It's a new edition.

Key elements;
    • A new logo for 40k

yd3qn4dn0xh2.png

Holy fuck!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    God I loved the video. Sisters are the new front ladies and I love it.

7seoc5crcwkt.png

u7stthr17eud.png
    If the starter box for this edition is Sisters and Space Marines versus Necrons I'm going to be ecstatic.

So I am on discord with my gaming club which is the big local club for Virginia. Aka we help run NoVA and drink with Mike and such.

The ongoing shade at him is great. We love Mike but its funny.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The assault pickles probably will force me to finish my Black Templars when they come out
    Still I will play them as they never joined the faith but never gave up on the ideals of the crusade and the scouring that followed

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Well when your tanks are basically fine china with nasty guns I am curious how they will play now

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Call customer service, seriously. I have no insider information here but they generally make good on these situations.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    If the starter box for this edition is Sisters and Space Marines versus Necrons I'm going to be ecstatic.

The new 40K site seems to strongly hint that, and with split factions costing CP seems a good way of introducing the detachment mechanics.
    Also don't forget that there will almost certainly be three starter sets again - the cheap unit sized one, the larger start collecting sized one and the starter set.

It'll be interesting to see if they use this to tell a story with the Crusade system, rather than just having them being smaller versions of the big box. Three linked campaigns that slowly grow your army and teach you new rules as you go.

Call customer service, seriously. I have no insider information here but they generally make good on these situations.
    Last two editions, you got a voucher for the new rulebook in these cases.

Tastyfish on
  • PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

The new 40K site seems to strongly hint that, and with split factions costing CP seems a good way of introducing the detachment mechanics.
    Also don't forget that there will almost certainly be three starter sets again - the cheap unit sized one, the larger start collecting sized one and the starter set.

It'll be interesting to see if they use this to tell a story with the Crusade system, rather than just having them being smaller versions of the big box. Three linked campaigns that slowly grow your army and teach you new rules as you go.

Last two editions, you got a voucher for the new rulebook in these cases.

Is that only if you buy it direct from GW? I've been trying to support my FLGS as best I can and ordered the 8th edition book literally this week, just got it on Thursday.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Yes, but can units disembark from transports after they've moved?

Children's rights are human rights.
    So I am excited the Mike Brandt is now a big boy at GW. I like Mike, he is a good guy and loves the hobby and the competitive well made missions.

Also the biggest thing I think everyone missed.

A 40K APP FINALLY! OMG!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

Yes, but can units disembark from transports after they've moved?

My God, do you want the moon too?! Felinids as their own army?! Squats to return?! Let's just throw the rules out the window and let anarchy reign while we're at it! :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    As a Necron player, I'm ecstatic.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    The 9th edition coming out seems interesting. I'm curious how crusade mode will compare to the gameplay stuff they added in the most recent chapter approved that lays out the steps for making huge narrative stuff involving KT, 40K, and Apocalypse.

Also some of the 9th edition stuff they've talked about so far sounds like they took some rules from KT and Apocalypse.

I feel like I'm gonna be dropping a fuck ton of money on Necrons so I'm gonna start saving up and trying to figure out a paint scheme. I think I'm gonna paint them like how I did my first imperial knight and do a gloss black primer, then basing with gunmetal grey followed by burnt iron for the base. Get a real dark metal look rolling.

Also, warriors being resculpted seems weird. Not bad, just odd. Them having those googly eyes kind of kills it for me and that new big 3 legged model with the Gauss weapon and phase weapon looks like off to me for some reason. Doesn't fit the Necron aesthetic to me.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    The real question is will Monoliths become viable.

So some more thoughts:

1)The App is such a game changer. Plus all your books you by physically unlock on the app means I can keep buying at FLGS and get them on the app. I am beyond happy.

2)For terrain/missions/rules, Mike Brandt is helping. And to get an idea he was a huge part of designing Kill Team. And Kill Team terrain rules are actually pretty damn good. And I would be happy to have them in the 40k normal. So I expect a bunch of good stuff like that.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So some more thoughts:

1)The App is such a game changer. Plus all your books you by physically unlock on the app means I can keep buying at FLGS and get them on the app. I am beyond happy.

Oh shit, I missed that announcement. If that includes points values (and it fucking should!) then that's absolutely massive.

Mazzyx wrote: »
    So some more thoughts:

Oh shit, I missed that announcement. If that includes points values (and it fucking should!) then that's absolutely massive.

Full army building was said in the written stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Someone said the Necrons had *nine* new models, not including rehashes / updated warriors or destroyers or scarabs or monoliths, etc. Is that true?

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They haven't shown them officially, though there are some blurry scans floating around which definitely show new stuff, as well as necrons which appear in the animated trailer thing that don't match with any current models, so I'd guess that's around in the right ball park, yes.

Bizazedo wrote: »
    Someone said the Necrons had *nine* new models, not including rehashes / updated warriors or destroyers or scarabs or monoliths, etc. Is that true?

I don't think anyone can confirm that right now. All they've shown is the big three legged model with the huge phase sword, a teaser of the silent king model and the new warrior sculpt.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Bizazedo wrote: »

No clue. They didn't really say. We know they teased the Silent King. And the video had at least two new units. The big Necron dude with the halberd and the smaller one with three legs.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2020
    I wonder if Necron Warriors will be worth taking now. I still have like 60 or 70 something not busted Warriors and about 20 to 30 broken ones that I've used as test models for painting.

With the Warriors having two weapon options now I might just fill out a whole other huge Warrior line with the new weapon.

Some blurry screenshots going around showing what might be a new monolith kit. If that is true I'm gonna turn my current monoliths into terrain and grab new ones. My current ones are kind of beat up.

Stragint on

Stragint wrote: »
    The 9th edition coming out seems interesting. I'm curious how crusade mode will compare to the gameplay stuff they added in the most recent chapter approved that lays out the steps for making huge narrative stuff involving KT, 40K, and Apocalypse.

Also some of the 9th edition stuff they've talked about so far sounds like they took some rules from KT and Apocalypse.

I feel like I'm gonna be dropping a fuck ton of money on Necrons so I'm gonna start saving up and trying to figure out a paint scheme. I think I'm gonna paint them like how I did my first imperial knight and do a gloss black primer, then basing with gunmetal grey followed by burnt iron for the base. Get a real dark metal look rolling.

Also, warriors being resculpted seems weird. Not bad, just odd. Them having those googly eyes kind of kills it for me and that new big 3 legged model with the Gauss weapon and phase weapon looks like off to me for some reason. Doesn't fit the Necron aesthetic to me.

Some of those warrior faces have kinda too much character for me I think?

I'm sure you'll be dropping a fuckton of money on necrons. Question is how many models is that going to be ;) expecting banshee prices from here on for new releases.

edited May 2020
    This was linked to me, alleged Necron side of the box. There's a War of the Worlds type thing here that just has me hnnnnnngh. Dual Blade Necron also looks fun.

6jfsya47z0i6.png

If rule of 3 is still a thing....my Necron army is going to increase dramatically.

Bizazedo on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Definitely new, officially teased models:
    • Silent King, seems to be on an extra-ornate command barge, along with his advisors/the other triarchs maybe?
    • Tripod choppy king; ogryn-sized three-legged Necron Immortal+++
    • Illuminor Szeras (now with realistic flaying action!)
    • Necron Warriors v2.0, with new weapon option, shambling poses, and battle damage

Unannounced models visible in leaks:
    • Megalith (could just be updated not-lame Monolith)
    • Unnamed Phaeron-looking dude (maybe the leader of the Triarch Praetorian order?)
    • Tripod choppy dudes; three-legged Immortals++ with sword-axes
    • Unnamed Cryptek-looking dude and his two buddies; no idea beyond some sorta utility unit
    • Little death-walker; imagine if a Necron built a laser-giraffe er, Protoss Colossus
    • Big death-walker; as above, but taller, and wearing a doomsday cannon as a hat
    • Giant winged guy; looks like an unbound C’tan fused with a Celestant Prime and dipped in Living Metal. Rad as hell but no idea WTF

Leaked image sources:
    c9h3b1y83ruh.jpeg
    fv938635z2vp.jpeg

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.