As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I only recruited Sylvain.

I have to kill so many of these kids :(

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    We talking about Hubert in here?

ef2f52a759067a251b8246cb886969dc30a9098c.png
    By albaharu!

Hubert is not very good at projecting a friendly corporate brand

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

If you want a hint about something related to this that's relevant right about now, open this spoiler:
    You can avoid killing a few of the kids early on; later that's not a thing

When you see Lysithea, though? Send Edelgard or Byleth after her. Take her down with them. Trust me.

dN0T6ur.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

If you want a hint about something related to this that's relevant right about now, open this spoiler:

When you see Lysithea, though? Send Edelgard or Byleth after her. Take her down with them. Trust me.

Part 2 spoilers
    Oh, I didn't know you could recruit people in part 2 if you didn't first get them in part 1. Looking at sereneforest, I guess it's only Lysithea if you go the Crimson route

In Crimson Flower, would you say it makes more sense to recruit Lysithea in part 1 or wait until you fight her in part 2?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Turambar wrote: »

Part 2 spoilers
    Oh, I didn't know you could recruit people in part 2 if you didn't first get them in part 1. Looking at sereneforest, I guess it's only Lysithea if you go the Crimson route

In Crimson Flower, would you say it makes more sense to recruit Lysithea in part 1 or wait until you fight her in part 2?

Honestly,
    Either works. Lysithea being swayed to join because she believes in Edelgard's goal works better, in some ways, than her joining your class because she likes you as a teacher, but then you don't get to have her around as long or support her with as many people!

It's always good to invite her over to her real house

dN0T6ur.png
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Lysithea
    when you recruit her depends on if you want to take on the Death Knight right away...although Hubert easily starts owning him later on, Lysithea will one-shot him from her first battle with him, she’s kind of ridiculous

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Lysithea being the best at
    nuking the Death Knight
    is still incredibly funny to me.

edited May 2020
    I killed Leonie.

Then the camera lingered on her corpse. Damn you game. DAMN YOU.

Edit: It was like
    killing Jeralt all over again

:(

Aegeri on
    On Chapter 16 of Crimson Flower now and I did manage to recruit Lysithea. Overall my slow grinding advance strategy has been paying off.

Those paralogue battles are seriously harder than anything in the main storyline by far. One was basically the Oprah of Wyvern Riders. You get a wyvern and you get a wyvern, but wait look under your chairs... YOU ALL GET WYVERNS. Was a nightmare.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    On Chapter 16 of Crimson Flower now and I did manage to recruit Lysithea. Overall my slow grinding advance strategy has been paying off.

Those paralogue battles are seriously harder than anything in the main storyline by far. One was basically the Oprah of Wyvern Riders. You get a wyvern and you get a wyvern, but wait look under your chairs... YOU ALL GET WYVERNS. Was a nightmare.

Yeah, All Wyverns is a DLC level that came with Cindered Shadows. Those do tend to be a bit on the tougher side.

But yeah, that map isn't fun when you, say, tend to rely heavily on squishy mages.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Wyvern Lords are just super strong in Three Houses. My Verdant Wind run was so much easier than my Crimson Flower run, in no small part due to me having 200% more fliers in my crew. Wyvern Lord Byleth is stupid good.

Terrendos on

Yeah, All Wyverns is a DLC level that came with Cindered Shadows. Those do tend to be a bit on the tougher side.

But yeah, that map isn't fun when you, say, tend to rely heavily on squishy mages.

Isn't that also a cogent description of Edelgard's paralogue?

dN0T6ur.png

At least with Edelgard's paralogue, the enemy doesn't start practically on top of your team and they aren't Literally All Wyverns, so it's a bit more manageable.

Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure Aegeri was talking about the Literally All Wyverns battle because that one's technically not a paralogue, just a side battle thing.

At least with Edelgard's paralogue, the enemy doesn't start practically on top of your team and they aren't Literally All Wyverns, so it's a bit more manageable.

Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure Aegeri was talking about the Literally All Wyverns battle because that one's technically not a paralogue, just a side battle thing.

There were sufficient Wyverns that I felt my description was accurate.

Knowing there is ANOTHER Oprah Winfrey Wyvern battle has me doing quite the concern.

I am almost finished Crimson Flower now and I cannot wait to play the DLC then go through Blue Lions.

Was that the Shamir/Alois paralogue against the Almyran pirates?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I must have missed a lot of the backstory on the Church in the Black Eagles run (up to the Holy Tomb spoilers):
    After I go into the Holy Tomb to talk to the goddess (who is merged with me already, but seems we kept that to ourselves) Edalgard shows up and bwhaha, dragon Church lady, which made no sense at all. Flame Emperor is allied with the evil murderers, the Church only had vague hints of being slightly not perfect to the point I can't recall what was bad about them other than your father took off awhile ago. And it's not like Rhea went dragon for funsies she was defending everyone and the tomb. The other side has freaking demons. But meh, I had supports with the Black Eagles so sure, down with the Church!

I talked to everyone every month and still this is really going sideways for me. Maybe I didn't do enough side battles or maybe it'll make more sense when I do the other 2 houses.

Xeddicus on
    I don’t think you missed anything, at least there’s not a big plot point about the church by that point. Just the Western Church thing and Rhea being a little ... off?

What you should be getting is indirect info from the students and paralogues about the crest system being waaay not cool, and it being held up by the Church

I don’t think you missed anything, at least there’s not a big plot point about the church by that point. Just the Western Church thing and Rhea being a little ... off?

What you should be getting is indirect info from the students and paralogues about the crest system being waaay not cool, and it being held up by the Church

Also there's the backstory bit that caused Lonato's rebellion.
    You know, the bit where apparently the Church has assumed the power to march its army into a supposedly sovereign nation and execute its citizens.

But that little factoid is just kind of thrown out there by Catherine and gets lost easily.

Anyone who is using words like “purge” and “burn heretics at the stake” might have some issues.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I just read the Abyss library entries (online) as I didn't realize they were in the main game after beating the DLC (I searched in the area confusedly during the DLC)

Wow, uh
    So Rhea suppressed not just medical science but also the fucking printing press eh

A lot of interesting lore. Great that it doesn't conflict with my existing theories..

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    I finished Crimson Flower.

Holy shit that last battle is a 150% increase in difficulty from almost nowhere.

I felt it was a very good ending though and that the actions of a certain person fully confirmed that I was right. On the other hand
    Catherine, I am beyond disappointed in you

Xeddicus wrote: »
    I must have missed a lot of the backstory on the Church in the Black Eagles run (up to the Holy Tomb spoilers):
    After I go into the Holy Tomb to talk to the goddess (who is merged with me already, but seems we kept that to ourselves) Edalgard shows up and bwhaha, dragon Church lady, which made no sense at all. Flame Emperor is allied with the evil murderers, the Church only had vague hints of being slightly not perfect to the point I can't recall what was bad about them other than your father took off awhile ago. And it's not like Rhea went dragon for funsies she was defending everyone and the tomb. The other side has freaking demons. But meh, I had supports with the Black Eagles so sure, down with the Church!

I talked to everyone every month and still this is really going sideways for me. Maybe I didn't do enough side battles or maybe it'll make more sense when I do the other 2 houses.

For me, here is where I came to dislike them very quickly:
    The constant references to purging and burning heretics who disagree with them at the stake. There felt like a drastic lack of any kind of empathy or mercy from her, especially in regards to the guy who rebels as the Church executed his son. Even many of the students commented on how uncomfortable they were fighting civilian militia.

A lot of the skeevy vibe that Rhea gave off to me during the game. For example, when you finish the level with the guy who stole the lance of ruin, which turned him into a daemon the whole "lol don't mention the daemon thing to anyone okay" was incredibly suspect to me.

There is some lore about the Church murdering and generally purging anyone they disagreed with. Like if you want to get murdered, just disagree with the Church to some extent!

Plus during the Black Eagles run
    Edelgard also talks a lot about how unfair the current system is, particularly regarding crests and the way the church controls everything - especially how murder happy they are.

Minding, I do know once you make certain choices some people are then just as purge happy afterwards. Le Sigh.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    I finished Crimson Flower.

Holy shit that last battle is a 150% increase in difficulty from almost nowhere.

I felt it was a very good ending though and that the actions of a certain person fully confirmed that I was right. On the other hand
    Catherine, I am beyond disappointed in you
    I had Shamir kill Catherine in my Crimson Flower run. The cold, bitter way they talked to each other was heartwrenching.

And in the Crimson Flower run? Fuck Catherine. She chooses very poorly, and will not abandon the woman who is using her. Even when she burns down a city of innocents they were supposed to be protecting.

Catherine's support with Caspar is, uhm, eye-opening. I guess one could say that in Crimson Flower Catherine at least sticks to her principles until the very end.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

The constant references to purging and burning heretics who disagree with them at the stake. There felt like a drastic lack of any kind of empathy or mercy from her, especially in regards to the guy who rebels as the Church executed his son. Even many of the students commented on how uncomfortable they were fighting civilian militia.

A lot of the skeevy vibe that Rhea gave off to me during the game. For example, when you finish the level with the guy who stole the lance of ruin, which turned him into a daemon the whole "lol don't mention the daemon thing to anyone okay" was incredibly suspect to me.

There is some lore about the Church murdering and generally purging anyone they disagreed with. Like if you want to get murdered, just disagree with the Church to some extent!

Edelgard also talks a lot about how unfair the current system is, particularly regarding crests and the way the church controls everything - especially how murder happy they are.

Minding, I do know once you make certain choices some people are then just as purge happy afterwards. Le Sigh.

But Aegeri, who did you marry?

edited May 2020
    Catherine is pure, uncut police—well-written, it's intended that she be police

But man, sometimes she's genuinely chilling

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

But Aegeri, who did you marry?

Dorothea.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm trying to get back into Cindered Shadows but I'm losing kids on like, turn 1 of some of these maps. It is really discouraging

The Cindered Shadows missions are puzzles you defeat through trial and error and not through solid tactics or fundamental understanding of the game, imho. I don't think it's particularly good game design, but it sure does make it hard.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That's sad to hear, about to start them since I just made the world a better place and became Emperor. Win win!

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I disagree with that assessment completely. Better utilizing the game mechanics, and specifically the skills of the 4 new characters were the absolute key to victory for me on every map. The first couple were rough till I got into a groove with it and then it was all just so amazingly fun.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    I disagree with that assessment completely. Better utilizing the game mechanics, and specifically the skills of the 4 new characters were the absolute key to victory for me on every map. The first couple were rough till I got into a groove with it and then it was all just so amazingly fun.

Absolutely. What is "solid tactics and fundamental understanding of the game" if not being forced to e.g. make certain that enemy attacks land on your Fortress Knight, attack enemies from outside of their effective range with distance attackers so that your close-range attackers don't take enemy counterattacks, using movement abilities to shuffle your characters around to cover distance more effectively, and so on? I'd think the opposite case, micro-optimizing your character builds such that you can hurl a living bandsaw into the enemy, to be more subversive of tactics and mastery of the mechanics.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    edited June 2020
    Well my point is more the things that happen in the scenarios that you cannot plan around.
    The amount of and type of enemies that spawn and where (I think this is on two or three missions), where your characters get spewed after the last boss randomizes everything, not knowing the person who picks up the orb is essentially paralyzed, etc. Those are not things you can use tactics for unless you know they're happening, which is what turns it into more of a puzzle game.

Pinfeldorf on
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Well my point is more the things that happen in the scenarios that you cannot plan around.
    The amount of and type of enemies that spawn and where (I think this is on two or three missions), where your characters get spewed after the last boss randomizes everything, not knowing the person who picks up the orb is essentially paralyzed, etc. Those are not things you can use tactics for unless you know they're happening, which is what turns it into more of a puzzle game.

Hum. I think I would still push back on this.
    Being able to adapt to those scenarios is a key part of tactics in every Fire Emblem. Reinforcements spawning but who knows where is a point in a lot of maps. Really after a certain point I start to get surprised by the maps that don't have a bunch of extra spawns.

The bosses gimmick when it goes off is difficult to plan around I admit. That said you can also plan around not getting hit by it even if you don't know what it is. I knew he was building towards some attack, and I assumed I did NOT want to get hit by it. I ended up taking one because I just barely failed to kill him the turn before it went off. The trick is to shatter his shield fully right before he uses it to stun him and reset the timer. It's a trick I have used on a lot of the big monsters in the game too.

Adapting the plan is just part of Fire Emblem for me. I assume every fight will last a lot longer than I like and plan accordingly with durability, spells, and life.[/spoilers]

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Finally got around to playing through the DLC. It was pretty okay! I enjoyed all of the Ashen Wolves characters and would love to do another playthrough with them around (still have to do Blue Lions), but I don't know if I have the wherewithal or time to do that right now. Kind of want to dip into something else.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited July 2020
    I am now beginning the Ashen Wolves DLC. I have finished one chapter

Playing this made me realize I very much miss classical Fire Emblem gameplay. Set class pools, no opportunities for grinding, battles that are calibrated to be juuuuust doable with the toolset you have. It's genuinely really fun and satisying, scratching an itch that Three Houses itself couldn't quite reach. Hard difficulty is just about perfect

But these character, and this story? Hoohoo, wowee, these are some real stinkers. I mean they're fun personalities but they're shounen fare in a way that the core cast of Three Houses isn't ("Yeah I got the measure of you by fighting, which is the best way to get to know someone" get outta here you Hajime no Ippo looking frat-ass) and this story is already giving off a whiff, a strong whiff of absolute nonsense

I expect to love this DLC but I will relentlessly take the piss out of it as I go along

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    You think Balthus is the worst? Wait until you learn about Constance von Nuvelle.

Hapi's thing is pretty dumb too, but at least I like her personality.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Yeah while I like the people you get in the DLC, the story for the DLC is not very good. I loved the Gameplay though.

Oh I don't mean to suggest Balthus is the worst

He's just been the one doing the most talking so far

I'm bracing for the stuff to come

dN0T6ur.png
    All right, I've done some reading in the dang old library

Rhea's certifiably the worst, and in this setting that's saying something

dN0T6ur.png