As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Cleopatra in Space is p good though. Lots of things going on, quality visuals and animation, many characters, fine gags and dialogue, not too many tropes. Also cats all over the place.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Watched a Zenimation on Disney+ and ended up watching all of them. Bunch of clips stitched together from various Disney movies throughout their entire animated catalog, arranged by theme (flight, water, cityscapes,etc) but the big trick is they've removed the score and dialog but left the atmospheric and other sound effects. It's remarkably effective and captivating.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Finished She-ra. What a great show.

Such amazing cartoon being made these days. She-ra, BoJack, DuckTales, American Dad, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Wander over Yonder…

I think I may prefer cartoons to live-action, which is often cynical and depressing; cartoons are optimistic and hopeful (well, except BoJack, of course).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Finished She-ra. What a great show.

Such amazing cartoon being made these days. She-ra, BoJack, DuckTales, American Dad, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Wander over Yonder…

I think I may prefer cartoons to live-action, which is often cynical and depressing; cartoons are optimistic and hopeful (well, except BoJack, of course).

MovieBob did a great Big Picture about the end of She-Ra, and how it's exactly what we needed right now.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/how-she-ra-game-changing-ending-made-cartoon-history-the-big-picture/

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

American Dad deserves to still be going though.

It's last decade is significantly more worthwhile then most everything else on TV.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I like American Dad. I even made the American Dad thread (that no one posts in). Just thought the Tweets were funny.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    it's a Netflix show, of course they're going to randomly cancel it.
    The Execubots decree it so!

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I like American Dad. I even made the American Dad thread (that no one posts in). Just thought the Tweets were funny.

But also Tuca and Bertie sucked

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    RedTide wrote: »

I mean, I didn't care much for it either, but to be fair American Dad's first few seasons weren't great either.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I don't know why it took me so long to realize that in We Bare Bear, Charlie is voiced by Jason Lee doing his My Name is Earl voice.

And that how I started rewatching My Name is Earl.

Kyougu on
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Gonna have words with you sir.

Words.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Am I being too harsh on She-Ra? I saw the first season and though it was just fine. And then the second season opened up with an extremely obvious The Importance of Teamwork episode.

I mean, I appreciate that it's available, and I might not be the target demographic (which is fine). But it's not really grabbing me yet.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Am I being too harsh on She-Ra? I saw the first season and though it was just fine. And then the second season opened up with an extremely obvious The Importance of Teamwork episode.

I mean, I appreciate that it's available, and I might not be the target demographic (which is fine). But it's not really grabbing me yet.

It gets better with each season.

It very much a tween show, though.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Not really feeling Amphibia. Every episode involves Ann/e being stupid, selfish, naive, careless or completely thoughtless and then the problem she creates resolves in the end. Funny and inventive at times but very very rote. And unlike Owl House, another incredibly similar isekai-style series, it doesn't have Eda.

There are things I like about it, but it is definitely the lesser show. The last few episodes seem to set up a status quo that’s going somewhere, though.

Owl House is legitimately great. I haven’t watched too much of Amphibia so I haven’t picked up on the trend, but I do enjoy the episodes I’ve seen.

Unrelatedly, I started Young Justice Season 3 (or Young Justice Outsiders season 1 since Amazon likes to be super confusing...). After the first episode I like what the plot appears to be, and that they seem to be returning to the core group, which they not utilizing well was always my biggest complaint of season 2, but the animation is noticeably worse and more choppy compared to how brilliant the original run was.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I wasn't totally sold until the last couple episodes of season 3.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    redx wrote: »

I wasn't totally sold until the last couple episodes of season 3.

I feel it started off "good enough to watch the next episode" and progressed to "must-see tv".

Edit: Though, I feel, a lot of that is that it takes time to build an emotional connection to the characters, as is the case with other long-form fiction.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I don't know why it took me so long to realize that in We Bare Bear, Charlie is voiced by Jason Lee doing his My Name is Earl voice.

And that how I started rewatching My Name is Earl.

The big clue was Charlie is big on Thetans

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    Not really feeling Amphibia. Every episode involves Ann/e being stupid, selfish, naive, careless or completely thoughtless and then the problem she creates resolves in the end. Funny and inventive at times but very very rote. And unlike Owl House, another incredibly similar isekai-style series, it doesn't have Eda.

There are things I like about it, but it is definitely the lesser show. The last few episodes seem to set up a status quo that’s going somewhere, though.

Owl House is legitimately great. I haven’t watched too much of Amphibia so I haven’t picked up on the trend, but I do enjoy the episodes I’ve seen.

Unrelatedly, I started Young Justice Season 3 (or Young Justice Outsiders season 1 since Amazon likes to be super confusing...). After the first episode I like what the plot appears to be, and that they seem to be returning to the core group, which they not utilizing well was always my biggest complaint of season 2, but the animation is noticeably worse and more choppy compared to how brilliant the original run was.

Star Vs. Evil is still the high point of modern Disney, both for being really good and being one of the most honest examinations of how racism works on TV in years.

Phillishere on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I'm amazed (and heartened) by how quickly LGBT representation's getting normalized in family animation.

I watched this with both my daughters (one is 3, while the other is 7). They both enjoyed it, although my 7 year old did effectively ask "but why does he not want to tell his parents about his boyfriend?" because she just doesn't understand why that would be a problem. And that is because of lots of tv shows / cartoons thankfully normalise this.

For instance, there's a BBC show called "Marrying Mum and Dad" where the kids plan a wedding for their parents; there are a considerable amount of episodes where it's 2 dads or 2 mums getting married and again she really enjoys it.

PSN Fleety2009
    More new Looney Tunes.

https://youtu.be/CuJ1xMVqY0I

It's... fine? Maybe a little better than the Bugs at the amusement park thing posted earlier in the thread. Daffy's segment is probably the best since it has the least dialog and the most inventive gags, but it might lean into Daffy's, well, Daffy side a little too much.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I mostly watch She-Ra for Catra, Scorpia and Entrapta to be honest, but I think it's still a fairly clean nice show.

Also the s4 episode with Madame Raz is heartbreaking.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I was becoming a bit meh on She-Ra but gave it another chance and Entrapta showed up.

I was back on board.

Course I only watch during blood donations so it's gonna be a long time before I actually finish the series.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Scorpia is life itself.

Though I had She-Ra/Catra as a romance pegged from the jump. It was not subtle, despite some critics not seeing it until they made it text instead of subtext.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    The one thing I cared about for half of the series was a happy ending for Scorpia. If everything else was terrible, but she ended up happy, I would have been okay with it. Fortunately, they did a great job with the ending the show all around!

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I pretty regularly, but maybe not consistently, found it to be funny.

Basically everything with Entrapta is great. The slightly running gag of Catra is kinda still a cat made me smile. There's one particular shot of Scorpia staring absently out a window, that's kinda perfect.

Meeting Bo's parents was... i don't know... I like the show more for them doing that.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    A big plus with She-Ra is that there aren't too many things you have grit your teeth and ignore to enjoy it, and the things you do have to get over are consistant.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    She-Ra is definitely aimed at a younger crowd, but of such good quality that, at worst, it drags a little bit at a couple points. Otherwise, it's a pretty fantastic show.

It is also unrelentingly wholesome and does not shy away from "non-standard" portrayals of family, body types, or sexuality. Even better, all of those things are simply part of the show instead of something the showmakers try to beat you over the head with to show how progressive they're being. Parents are parents, married folks are just married, and people are generally just positive and supportive of one another as people.

Given where the show started with the original She-Ra and He-Man way back in the early 80s, it's lightyears of difference both in show quality and messaging.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    She-Ra is definitely aimed at a younger crowd, but of such good quality that, at worst, it drags a little bit at a couple points. Otherwise, it's a pretty fantastic show.

It is also unrelentingly wholesome and does not shy away from "non-standard" portrayals of family, body types, or sexuality. Even better, all of those things are simply part of the show instead of something the showmakers try to beat you over the head with to show how progressive they're being. Parents are parents, married folks are just married, and people are generally just positive and supportive of one another as people.

Given where the show started with the original She-Ra and He-Man way back in the early 80s, it's lightyears of difference both in show quality and messaging.

It's seriously the kind of show we need right now. I love it so much.

There's not a character on the show that I don't love.

Well, except: (minor season 5 spoiler)
    Horde Prime.
    Fuck that guy.

steam_sig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/05/clerks-animated-series-oral-history/amp/

Oral history of Clerks the Animated Series, still probably the best thing Kevin Smith has done (and I'm a fan of his).

So apparently in the new Looney Tunes Elmer Fudd no longer has a hunter's rifle. He's still a hunter, though.

Like, I'm not mad about this or anything, but why even have him be a hunter anymore instead of just finding him something else to do.

So apparently in the new Looney Tunes Elmer Fudd no longer has a hunter's rifle. He's still a hunter, though.

Like, I'm not mad about this or anything, but why even have him be a hunter anymore instead of just finding him something else to do.

I've been watching the new shorts. (My opinion has upgraded to "pretty decent," if you care.) And... they do, for the most part. In the latest crop they have Bugs harass Elmer for his private pool, Bugs give Elmer dating advice, Bugs thwart Elmer's attempts at being a tough-guy interrogator, Bugs interrupt Elmer's attempt at landscape painting, etc. It works pretty well. Elmer only shows up in his hunting gear for a series of less than one minute gags about a portable hole.

My take on the whole thing is that the new Looney Tunes are already incredibly violent. There's plenty of TNT, chainsaws, cannons, etc. It borders on being too much. With all that going on, you don't really miss the guns at all.

It has been foretold...
    https://youtu.be/bAyb4Z5QhRY

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That's just a bridge too far, don't even use the character then, especially if there is still violence everywhere else. Make the gun more of a blunderbuss or something if you're really scared of kids seeing it, but chances are they're already seeing more realistic versions while they floss in Fortnite. This is Wolverine never using his claws for things other than opening cans or cutting glass levels of stupid.

Just reminds me of the last moral panic where all the bad guys were suddenly forced to use "lasers" because guns are bad.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    The former Vice President recently suggested that maybe cops should be trained to shoot people in the leg. How media represents guns has a massive effect on public perception of how safe/dangerous they are and what they should be used for. If cartoons aren't allowed to represent gunshot wounds as some gunpowder on someone's face and maybe a blackeye I ain't gonna cry over it.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    The former Vice President recently suggested that maybe cops should be trained to shoot people in the leg. How media represents guns has a massive effect on public perception of how safe/dangerous they are and what they should be used for. If cartoons aren't allowed to represent gunshot wounds as some gunpowder on someone's face and maybe a blackeye I ain't gonna cry over it.

I would sooner put the blame and spotlight on television and movies for perpetuating those perceptions.

For instance, counterpoint: How many people do you know that genuinely believe that sticking their finger down a gun barrel will actually stop it from firing?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Guns don't kill people, magic helmets kill people.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Guns don't kill people, magic helmets kill people.

Spear and Magic Helmet!

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.