As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Kryptonite has always bounced all over the scale as to how deadly and effective it is, in pretty much every medium he's been in. Sometimes he collapses and can't move if there's a tiny sliver of green rock within a hundred feet, other times he doesn't notice anything wrong until someone slugs him in the face and it hurts.
    Sometimes he can overcome it to the point that he can grab the rock and throw it away so he can recover, others he just starts suffocating. Kryptonite has always been exactly as deadly as the plot requires, same as the limits of his strength and speed.

The Definitive Power Ranking of Kryptonite:

5. The necklace that Lana Lang wears in that CW series

4. The kryptonite inside Metallo's chest

3. Giant asteroid of kryptonite

2. The kryptonite that a Green Lantern can create

1. Any kryptonite that Batman is holding because Batman

I'm sorry, but you're missing one of the all time best.

The time Lex Luthor dropped a kryptonite cage on Superman before leaving to go marry Lois Lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm9pTn2KcP8

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Rumors are going around they might also release the Ayers cut of Suicide Squad on HBO Max. Which, sure why not, the dude is a solid director and the parts people liked in ACADEMY AWARD WINNING theatrical cut like them all at the bar were from Ayers' cut.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yea, Suicide Squad wasn't going to be a good movie anyway, but without the obvious studio meddling, it might have been a slightly less stupid movie. Slightly.

While we are at it, I'd love to see an Edgar Wright cut of Ant-Man. I quited enjoyed the movie, but have been curious what his original vision looked like.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    While we are at it, I'd love to see an Edgar Wright cut of Ant-Man. I quited enjoyed the movie, but have been curious what his original vision looked like.

I'm pretty sure his original vision would have been substantially worse than what we got.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Those are the scenes where Cavill's allowed to actually be Superman.

He has some great moments near the end of Justice League, too.

Though admittedly I also thought he was a terrifying force of nature during the scene where he fights the JL.

That look he gives the Flash is perfection.

wVEsyIc.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yea, Suicide Squad wasn't going to be a good movie anyway, but without the obvious studio meddling, it might have been a slightly less stupid movie. Slightly.

Less of Wasp, because of course.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Honestly, it sounds like Wright mainly bristled at the fairly tight control Marvel has over the movies, and felt that it would prevent him from truly making the movie he wanted to make. Which I can definitely respect, even though Marvel's control has lead to remarkably consistent successes.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think they in some ways have loosened up a bit, given the success of something like Taika and Ragnarok. Marvel Studios of that era was a different beast, freshly bought by Disney and they didn't want to fuck up their winning formula. I still do think Ant-Man would have been a much bigger success when in Wright's version, but I still think Rudd brings a lot to the character still.

I think if they could go back, they may have given him a bit more room to work with, but Wright is the kind of filmmaker who will shoot the same shot 100 times practically over using CG. Who knows how well he'd work in a machine as big as Marvel/Disney

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Though admittedly I also thought he was a terrifying force of nature during the scene where he fights the JL.

You rarely get to see someone shit themselves while super sonic.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    My nerd friends and I tonight did a read-through of Whedon's Wonder Woman script over zoom. It sure is... well, it sure is mid-2000s Joss Whedon. I will say I did like how Diana is made more the main character compared to the WW movie we did get; both are pretty Steve-forward, but Whedon's is less-so. I also admire the ambition in trying to work in the invisible jet, even if it doesn't work at all in the script as written.

BloodySloth on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I’m not actually sure Edgar Wright is nearly as great as he is fastidious and mannered. Kinda like David Fincher and even JJ Abrams, in his own way, where his films are frequently less than the sum of their parts. What’s more worrying is how each film since Hot Fuzz has been worse and more disjointed than the one before it.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I’m not actually sure Edgar Wright is nearly as great as he is fastidious and mannered. Kinda like David Fincher and even JJ Abrams, in his own way, where his films are frequently less than the sum of their parts. What’s more worrying is how each film since Hot Fuzz has been worse and more disjointed than the one before it.

But he made Scott Pilgrim afterward.

wVEsyIc.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

...and Baby Driver

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

jdarksun wrote: »

...and Baby Driver

mmhm

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Newest Harley Quinn.

Gordon got a tattoo of
    Clayface's dismembered hand which was sentient and became his best friend <3

King Shark - I promised myself I'd never kill an old person. I'll let the American health system handle that.

Oh and they only got Michael fucking Ironside back to voice someone.

And they've gone all in on Harley wanting Ivy now.

AlphaRomero on
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

You rarely get to see someone shit themselves while super sonic.

That scene bothered me because it was lifted straight out of X-Men. Apocalypse gives the stink eye to Quicksilver in the exact same scenario.

I'm actually quite a fan of Edgar Wright's story beats, framing and editing chops. It's just one of those things that exudes style. I loved Scott Pilgrim but I don't think it was a good idea to shove it all into one movie, no matter how breakneck they pace things to move along. Now Baby Driver, that's a tight movie and has some not only great stunt driving but also, just great characters and acting. It's not a particularly deep movie, but I don't think every movie has to be. It can just be fun, almost music video like romp.

• enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    I watched BvS when it came out and was disappointed. Yesterday I finally had time to watch the ultimate cut. I enjoyed it. I actually thought: that was a nice way to tether the fight from The Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman. The whole Flashpoint subarc still felt tacked on though.

Was the ultimate cut that much better or did it just catch me on a good night?

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »
    I watched BvS when it came out and was disappointed. Yesterday I finally had time to watch the ultimate cut. I enjoyed it. I actually thought: that was a nice way to tether the fight from The Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman. The whole Flashpoint subarc still felt tacked on though.

Was the ultimate cut that much better or did it just catch me on a good night?

for sure option 2. I watched the ultimate cut and it was awful. Nothing made any sense.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Finished S1 Harley Quinn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9FfHLxtFNY

The Woof Woof at the end of the credits has replaced Sit, Ubu, Sit as my favorite production company stinger.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I need season 2 to hit the digital marketplace so I can throw money at their faces.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    What's the deal people are talking about with Superman's face being messed up in JL? I watched it just the once, on the back of the seat in front of me on a cross country flight.

edited May 2020
    Fry wrote: »
    What's the deal people are talking about with Superman's face being messed up in JL? I watched it just the once, on the back of the seat in front of me on a cross country flight.

They did a lot of reshoots but Cavill had a mustache from shooting Mission Impossible

They tried to cover with CGI but it looked off to a lot of folks

Local H Jay on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's the kind of thing that you wouldn't necessarily notice, but once you do (and/or if you went in aware of it) is impossible to ignore

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    It's possible they continued to work on the CGI between the theatrical release and the (what do we call home video release now? Bluray, streaming?) take home version, so it could be less noticeable

Also tiny screen vs theater screen

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Thing about that is, a lot of bad special effects actually look worse on small screens.

• enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Rewatched Justice League last night after I had such a good time with BvS Ultimate Cut. I happened to look out for the CGI mouth. My conclusion is that it’s only annoying if you are looking to be annoyed by it.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

They did a lot of reshoots but Cavill had a mustache from shooting Mission Impossible

Also the people shooting Mission Impossible contractually prevented Cavill from shaving it off, just to be dicks.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »
    Rewatched Justice League last night after I had such a good time with BvS Ultimate Cut. I happened to look out for the CGI mouth. My conclusion is that it’s only annoying if you are looking to be annoyed by it.

They must have really cleaned it up for Blu-Ray because it stood out. Superman vs. The League and some stuff with Lois was done in the Snyder version so he looks normal there, but at the theater it was really apparent in the opening smartphone footage and the Flash race and when he was laughing at the end with Cyborg. The top of his lip is thinner than it should be and it made his pointy bicuspids stand out more.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Also the people shooting Mission Impossible contractually prevented Cavill from shaving it off, just to be dicks.

There's some debate over that. The producers of MI apparently didn't have to release Cavill for reshoots at all, and had the choice of either enforcing the mustache, or allowing him to shave but either making their movie potentially worse (either CGIing a mustache on, or a fake), or delaying production for it to grow back in again.

Also the possibility that the DC producers figured they could work around it and only in post did they run into issues.

I'm not going to stan for that Mission Impossible. I fell asleep in the cinema watching it. But I can't fault them for wanting to make sure their movie didn't suffer for helping out another studio.

I don't think Cavill wanted to shave it off, to be fair. The reshoots for JL were pretty last minute at the time, and tbh if you compare the two final products, Cavill is waaaay better in MI so it probably was a good idea to have CGI ruin his face in the worse of the two movies..

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I mean, fake mustaches have been a thing since the beginning of time. It shouldn't have been an issue. A quality fake 'stache is a lot less noticeable than uncanny valley mouth.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Also, I also recently watched Harley Quinn season 1 when I found out I could do so via Hulu. I didn't really want to at first because I didn't love the clips I'd seen before, and I was annoyed by the first episode and what felt like too gratuitous edgy violence and swearing.

BUT, I gave it a shot and it grew on me. I think it started getting more funny than intense most of the time and I found King Shark and Psycho damn hilarious.

Poison Ivy is the best. I think I loves her.

I'm gonna give the show points for keeping the Harley/Ivy thing alive when DC in the comics side is trying to bury that angle

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    For Harley Quinn, I didn't expect Bane of all people to be so damn funny, but he was, just about every one of his bits is gold.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    You know what's interesting about the Snyder Cut is that he's going to have to luxury of going back to fix his shit after other people had to step in to fix his shit at the last minute. He's had years to think about how to address all the issues. And now he has more time to rewrite, reshoot, and re-post everything. With double the run time and more budget.

So if it ends up being "good" then people are going to take the wrong lesson from it, and he in particular might feel vindicated even though there's absolutely no way this new cut constitutes anything remotely similar to what we would've gotten in theaters.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    For Harley Quinn, I didn't expect Bane of all people to be so damn funny, but he was, just about every one of his bits is gold.

ELNk_H1XkAAriPf.jpg

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Also, I also recently watched Harley Quinn season 1 when I found out I could do so via Hulu. I didn't really want to at first because I didn't love the clips I'd seen before, and I was annoyed by the first episode and what felt like too gratuitous edgy violence and swearing.

BUT, I gave it a shot and it grew on me. I think it started getting more funny than intense most of the time and I found King Shark and Psycho damn hilarious.

Poison Ivy is the best. I think I loves her.

The first few episodes are rough and kind of try hard but it definitely improves by the end when you start introducing the wider cast. Harley alone without the others to temper her worst impulses is pretty annoying.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular

I don't think Cavill wanted to shave it off, to be fair. The reshoots for JL were pretty last minute at the time, and tbh if you compare the two final products, Cavill is waaaay better in MI so it probably was a good idea to have CGI ruin his face in the worse of the two movies..

Ruin it? I'd say Cavill's CGI mouth is the most memorable part of JL.

sig.gif
    You know what's interesting about the Snyder Cut is that he's going to have to luxury of going back to fix his shit after other people had to step in to fix his shit at the last minute. He's had years to think about how to address all the issues. And now he has more time to rewrite, reshoot, and re-post everything. With double the run time and more budget.

So if it ends up being "good" then people are going to take the wrong lesson from it, and he in particular might feel vindicated even though there's absolutely no way this new cut constitutes anything remotely similar to what we would've gotten in theaters.

I read somewhere that they aren't allowing him to do any re-shoots.

He can only do enhanced post-production and the only thing he is allowed to do with the actors is ADR.

This discussion has been closed.