As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    To be fair to the video game execs, they probably didn't know they would need this stuff and now it's impossible to get hold of.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Morran wrote: »
    On the interview stream they talked a bit about how assets designed for commercial or movies would now be easily accessible for game designers.

Would be pretty cool to watch whatever is the next Star Wars movie and then jump in to those exact same x-wings for some pew-pew dogfighting.

Didn't The Mandalorian use Unreal?

I think it did! From what it sounded like it, there is currently (UE4) quite some work associated with using movie-grade assets in games (to ensure performance). While for the next version (UE5) it would be much more straight forward.

Baby Yoda confirmed for Battlefront 3?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Looks like Nintendo isn't the only Japanese company struggling with this.

Is there a work-from-home culture in Japan? I feel like tech's early embrace of it in the West has really benefited the games industry, with a lot of studios able to quickly get up and running after lockdown.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

Is there a work-from-home culture in Japan? I feel like tech's early embrace of it in the West has really benefited the games industry, with a lot of studios able to quickly get up and running after lockdown.

I don't recall where I read about this, maybe earlier in this very thread. But no, wfh is not a thing in Japan like it is in other parts of the world.

The focus on face to face business is a part of it, as is the mind-boggling continued use of fax machines.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

I don't recall where I read about this, maybe earlier in this very thread. But no, wfh is not a thing in Japan like it is in other parts of the world.

The focus on face to face business is a part of it, as is the mind-boggling continued use of fax machines.

And even after these types of companies decide to modernize, actually implementing a work from home system takes time.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    The one thing that gives me the shits and giggles is that there was all this noise about loading screens being a thing of the past with these new superpowered SSDs, and here we are opening with this incredible tech demo... with a character sidewalking through a rock crawlspace. At best, incredible troll move

The demo was probably designed to also be run on a PC with a normal SSD.

I'm more inclined to assume this is the case, even though they dedicate a hefty portion to the following interview (I'm still annoyed at myself for even staying awake long enough to hear it) to specifically insisting that they ran it on a PS5 and fed it out the HDMI lmao

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    new Paper Mario game coming to Switch this July.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

And even after these types of companies decide to modernize, actually implementing a work from home system takes time.

also on a practical level, most people that don't live with their parents are living by themselves in a tiny-ass apartment with little to no space to set up a feasible work area and might also not even have work-capable laptops

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

I think I remember seeing it elsewhere, but also having wired internet access at home and a computer to do dev work *on* is uncommon.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    A few years from now:

Exec 1: “We all have these different showcase events, what if we all pooled our resources to have one big event?”

Other Execs: “That’s an amazing idea!”

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    A few years from now:

Exec 1: “We all have these different showcase events, what if we all pooled our resources to have one big event?”

Other Execs: “That’s an amazing idea!”

Probably more like

Exec 1: "We saved literal millions of dollars by not going to E3 this year, we still got the message out to all of our fans, plus we were able to release our information during a time were we didn't get squeezed out of the news by literally every other company releasing their anouncement at the same time."

Exec 2: "So we're not doing E3 ever again, right?"

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I dunno, it probably won't be great for a lot of them past this year. Right now, people are paying attention because they were already primed to pay attention to E3 so all the different individual 'this would have been at E3' releases gets eyes.

Next year? The year after? How many companies can expect to get attention for their independent release event without that "Oh this would have been at E3" boost?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I completely forgot about the Summer Games thing, didn't realize Xbox was showing anything until the end of the promo, and heard about the Ghosts of Tenchu stuff after-the-fact. I still think having a time and place for these big announcements to build hype up is a good thing.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    The last company to be doing presseers for E3 will be DevolverDigital, long after the show itself has died just to keep rubbing the salt in.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

but how will I know what to anticipate in 2028?

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    I dunno, it probably won't be great for a lot of them past this year. Right now, people are paying attention because they were already primed to pay attention to E3 so all the different individual 'this would have been at E3' releases gets eyes.

Next year? The year after? How many companies can expect to get attention for their independent release event without that "Oh this would have been at E3" boost?

It's just that if you can't grab a headline when nothing much else is going on, how are they supposed to do so at the same time when every Tom, Publisher and Platform is dropping all of their biggest announcements?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

but how will I know what to anticipate in 2028?

Should be about the right time for FF7R part 2.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I'm sad. E3 was one of things I'd always wanted to attend since I was a kid. Even now that it's no longer the frat party that it was in the 90's, I still would've went at least once.

• Options
    Informed rumblings about what's happening with the big three.

Sony: Some kind of early June event with next-gen games, but supposedly the date's moving around. Not sure if the PS5 will be shown. Then a State of Play in August, by which time the PS5 will have been shown.

Microsoft: Closer look at the Series One X in mid-June before July's first-party game presentation.

Nintendo: They're telling third-party partners not to wait for a Direct, even if they have big Switch news. They'll likely do random drops of first-party games (like they just did with Paper Mario) for now.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Microsoft have definitely committed to the specific months, but apart from that everything Big Three is literally up in the air.
    Thought the Keighleys would bring some known stability to it but if what we're getting is spontaneous 1-hour random announcements airing on Twitch and YouTube and co like the Unreal Engine V demo then that's just as nebulous to be quite honest

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I like this timeline, instead of one E3 event we have several.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Microsoft have definitely committed to the specific months, but apart from that everything Big Three is literally up in the air.
    Thought the Keighleys would bring some known stability to it but if what we're getting is spontaneous 1-hour random announcements airing on Twitch and YouTube and co like the Unreal Engine V demo then that's just as nebulous to be quite honest

I don't think any of the larger publishers are going to cooperate much outside of a big single event.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Keeping track of all these different events is getting as hard as figuring out Ubisoft preorders.

HEYOOO!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing the nebulous Sony date is them playing chicken with Microsoft.

Sony wants another E3 PS4 reveal bomb on the price and Microsoft is probably going to launch with 2 SKUs like they've been doing. One full featured version for $400 and a smaller, lower capacity for $300.

Sony is either going to price high or have to sell at $400 but it will quickly become known that they're taking a loss on the costs.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Hoping for SMTV and NMH3 news at NGPX. Maybe P5 Strikers localization too.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm guessing the nebulous Sony date is them playing chicken with Microsoft.

Sony wants another E3 PS4 reveal bomb on the price and Microsoft is probably going to launch with 2 SKUs like they've been doing. One full featured version for $400 and a smaller, lower capacity for $300.

Sony is either going to price high or have to sell at $400 but it will quickly become known that they're taking a loss on the costs.

Since I think that the PS5--with its far more robust HDD solution that also appears to have yield problems--probably has more cost pressures than the Series X, I don't think that Sony has the wiggle room to undercut MS much, if at all, especially if the Series X is priced at $400.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm guessing Series X has a 400 and a 500 version, a 300 box would most likely be whatever the Series S is or the like. One to to undercut PS5 price, because all this talk about how powerful the PS5 is supposed to be leads me to believe it cannot be 400, in any realm.

• Options
    I doubt it either, but pretty sure Sony is desperately trying to avoid mentioning the price first. They want MS to make the first move there so they can match.

Worst case scenario for Sony is to come out with $499 or even $599 and the XXXbox just drops the mic with $449 or $399.

That, coupled with the negative reactions from the leaked TLoU2 stuff (assuming nothing changes) and Sony will be doing damage control for a while if they don't play their June event right.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I doubt it either, but pretty sure Sony is desperately trying to avoid mentioning the price first. They want MS to make the first move there so they can match.

Worst case scenario for Sony is to come out with $499 or even $599 and the XXXbox just drops the mic with $449 or $399.

That, coupled with the negative reactions from the leaked TLoU2 stuff (assuming nothing changes) and Sony will be doing damage control for a while if they don't play their June event right.

I though the only people that had a negative reaction from the TLoU2 leak were goobergators?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Sony has said they're having trouble making the system for under $400. So yeah, Sony and MS are playing a game of chicken, except MS has all the power and Sony really doesn't want to blink first. If Sony goes first, MS just undercuts them. And if MS goes first, Sony risks either kicking their own balls by announcing a higher price, or potentially takes a bath on profits.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I though the only people that had a negative reaction from the TLoU2 leak were goobergators?

It's hard to get into without just spoiling things, but the queer community ain't a fan of the content of those spoilers.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Err, no. Like, it's hard to get into without just spoiling things, but there's the queer community ain't a fan of it.

Yeah I actually hadn't heard anything about what it was related to, but just reading that you can guess

Lame

• Options
    Avoiding spoiling anything as much as I can because obviously people want to see it all for themselves, but if the spoilers are true, I just know I'm not happy with it.

The plot was always a darker take on things, especially the way the first game ended in a morally ambiguous way. There's no question that it was a work of art, and top notch gameplay, but this isn't about those aspects.

I get that this is maybe the game that Naughty Dog feels they can push the envelope with, kudos for telling a story that doesn't have a feel-good happy ending like say, their Ratchet and Clank series.

But from the trailers that have been shown by media, you can tell it's going in that grimdark direction again, and unlike a Souls game, there's a touch too much realism in it for me to enjoy it.

• Options
    Avoiding spoiling anything as much as I can because obviously people want to see it all for themselves, but if the spoilers are true, I just know I'm not happy with it.

The plot was always a darker take on things, especially the way the first game ended in a morally ambiguous way. There's no question that it was a work of art, and top notch gameplay, but this isn't about those aspects.

I get that this is maybe the game that Naughty Dog feels they can push the envelope with, kudos for telling a story that doesn't have a feel-good happy ending like say, their Ratchet and Clank series.

But from the trailers that have been shown by media, you can tell it's going in that grimdark direction again, and unlike a Souls game, there's a touch too much realism in it for me to enjoy it.

So the trailer that was nothing but darkness and violence and ill-defined cultists was pretty accurate, huh?

• Options
    There was also media released that shows Ellie getting shot with arrows or hit with debris that she pulls out of her body. Gamestop released presser info that explains dogs are enemies.
    Dogs as foes in video games is nothing new, but in this game, not only can they be killed, their owner will call their name if they haven't returned at the first sign of danger and will audibly cry in shock if they find their bodies.

I can separate video game violence from reality just fine, like Mortal Kombat doesn't phase me at all, but everyone has a line that shouldn't be crossed.

• Options
    Speaking of TLoU 2, the next Sony thing is 25 minutes of just that. 4 pm Eastern, May 27 (tomorrow).

Either Sony's also going the piecemeal route, or they'll have a LOT of new things to announce soon. (Hopefully the latter; it's been a long time since we've had any consequential Sony games announced)

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm glad to see that the darkness of TLoU 2 is being mentioned here. The first one was pretty dark at times but it still felt like there was a ray of hope. That first trailer they showed when they announced it had people being hung and disemboweled and Ellie running around getting shot at and pulling things out of her. I had to take a step back. I don't know if I can do all the bleakness of the game for 20+ hours.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    not that it's a surprise, but Blizzcon has officially been canned for this year

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that the darkness of TLoU 2 is being mentioned here. The first one was pretty dark at times but it still felt like there was a ray of hope. That first trailer they showed when they announced it had people being hung and disemboweled and Ellie running around getting shot at and pulling things out of her. I had to take a step back. I don't know if I can do all the bleakness of the game for 20+ hours.

The realistic dog murder is where I really went "hmm maybe this game is going to more than I actually want."

This discussion has been closed.