As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yee-haw! My name is [Nintendo]! This is my horse, [Nintendo]! That's right-same name!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    But more fun, I think, than Triple Deluxe. Effing Pyribbit.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Robobot's True Arena ends in an absolute crime of game design.
    As it dies, the Very Last True Final Boss sends out three shockwaves (one high, one middle, one high and low) that do 99% of your health in damage and can't be blocked by anything except by the Psi power's teleport move. Either perfect-clear the boss, dodge them all, or lose your entire run right at the end.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    My Sam's Club had Link's Awakening on clearance for $35. They were out so I couldn't get it, but if you're looking for the game you might want to check your local stores (not sure if it's all stores. It's full price on their website)

I would have gladly grabbed it for that price and since I can't justify $60 for a game I've known how to 100% for over 20 years

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    IT HAS A DEATH ATTACK?

YOU CAN’T DODGE IT WITH ARCHER’S HIDE?????

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Yep.

Only vanishing with PSI will let you phase through it.

On the other hand, it is very much not hard to dodge. It’s like the rings Sectonia launches.

——————

That true arena is a goddamn endurance marathon, and the last attack is some bullshit if you don’t know, but I do still very much like that arena.

But it’s a very good example of why going for full completion isn’t something everyone should feel like they must do.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Well, I managed to make it deep into three additional runs, and then in all 3 runs managed to lose my power. Last time it was some bullshit business where I got hit at the same time I hit Dark Matter the final time. I’m on fucking tilt and I hate it. Not tonight I guess.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    People do make runs with no powers, that is a thing, though it's very hard

I think the time I did finish I had to finish out without any powers! Though I started off with the hammer, and I guess it's possible I held onto it the whole time

No but for real, True Arena is hard. It's not bullshit, it's well-designed, but a successful run for a mid-level player like me requires you to be "on" for like 30-40 minutes straight. It's like they put it in there just for people who like hard games to have reason to talk about Kirby. I love it! But I love it becuase I have beaten it, and before that point my relationship with it was adversarial

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I haven't played Robobot but my favorite power for the boss rush in Triple Attack was Beetle

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    The fact that there's a thing in a kirby game that's hard makes me want to actually buy a kirby game

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I'll keep saying it until they give it to me

Port Tatsunko vs Capcom to the switch already I wanna take Golden Lightan online for goodness sake

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    The fact that there's a thing in a kirby game that's hard makes me want to actually buy a kirby game

Oh all the true arenas are bastards in the modern 3DS/ Switch kirby games

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    People do make runs with no powers, that is a thing, though it's very hard

I think the time I did finish I had to finish out without any powers! Though I started off with the hammer, and I guess it's possible I held onto it the whole time

No but for real, True Arena is hard. It's not bullshit, it's well-designed, but a successful run for a mid-level player like me requires you to be "on" for like 30-40 minutes straight. It's like they put it in there just for people who like hard games to have reason to talk about Kirby. I love it! But I love it becuase I have beaten it, and before that point my relationship with it was adversarial

My strat is to use Archer and thoroughly abuse the near universal invulnerability of Hide (hold down). Fire fully charged shots the rest of the time, which does more than decent damage.

I have almost all the bosses down to no-damage this way, except for the first two which have incredibly annoying untouchable phases and short hit windows, and the Dedede clones which just zerg rush you and whom you sorta have to tank, which Archer is bad at.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Honestly the actual hardest part of True Arena is the three consecutive Star Fox fights. The third phase has almost no margin for error, you HAVE to kill all the adds to get power for your super attack, and they have a lot of health and don't stay on screen for long. I've gotten better at using barrel rolls both to kill whatever reaches the foreground and to pad my DPS out more while they're shooting at me (so I can just barrel roll out of the way at the last possible moment).

sig.gif
  • Options
    You don’t have to kill all the adds for a full-power planet buster, and some of them you can’t get all of them in one go. But you do need to get most of them.

• Options
    Yeah my "all" wasn't an absolute one. The piano keys are pretty skippable. The most clutch ones to get are the two weathercocks. Once I figured out how to do it that was the key.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

As has been mentioned, there's something like this in all modern Kirby games, including Star Allies

Robobot is definitely the best of them, though, and I'd argue its True Arena is the hardest we've had in a decade

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    It actually kinda goes back to Adventure. That game had a 100% counter, and you had to beat its boss rush to get it.

Of course it wasn't NEARLY as hard, but you did have to beat all the bosses on one life (with I think limited healing?) and no powers.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It also bears mentioning that nothing else in Planet Robobot is difficult at all.

The regular Arena is even very easy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Port Tatsunko vs Capcom to the switch already I wanna take Golden Lightan online for goodness sake

Xenoblade Chronicles X.

That's my Switch Port I Really, Really Want, Nay, Need. Like, I'll buy Smash Bros. if they put Elma in there as a playable character kind of need.

Might take a while before it happens, though. If ever.

• Options

Xenoblade Chronicles X.

That's my Switch Port I Really, Really Want, Nay, Need. Like, I'll buy Smash Bros. if they put Elma in there as a playable character kind of need.

Might take a while before it happens, though. If ever.

The fact that Xenoblade 2 is being considered as the obvious choice and nobody seems to say anything about Xenoblade X makes me sad.
    SimBen wrote: »
    It actually kinda goes back to Adventure. That game had a 100% counter, and you had to beat its boss rush to get it.

Of course it wasn't NEARLY as hard, but you did have to beat all the bosses on one life (with I think limited healing?) and no powers.

Goes back even further, if we just want to talk about hard optional stuff in Kirby games. After beating Kirby’s Dream Land, you had the option to start an Extra game, which added new enemies to stages and increased the speed and damage of all the bosses.

• Options
    edited May 2020

I actually succeeded on my first run today, which I stretched over several hours.

Now for 2% worth of nice, relaxed, stress-free sticker farming.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Confession time: I always forget that Kirby games have a block button and Smash Bros-style airdodges and dodge-rolls. There's been a block button since Kirby Super Star, and it makes nearly every boss fight trivial, but I always try to full-dodge because that's just how it was in Dream Land 1 and 2.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    There's a block button?????

• Options
    There are two block buttons!

It’s the shoulder buttons.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    So what are the remaining high-profile WiiU games that haven't been ported to the Switch yet? The HD Zeldas, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario 3D World, anything else?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Neveron wrote: »
    So what are the remaining high-profile WiiU games that haven't been ported to the Switch yet? The HD Zeldas, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario 3D World, anything else?

Pikmin 3. Nintendo Land, if you'd call that high profile.

Peewi on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

PUSHMO WORLD

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

Pikmin 3. Nintendo Land, if you'd call that high profile.

Nintendo Land seems like it would be really difficult to port given its understandable focus on the gamepad.

• Options
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    There are two block buttons!

It’s the shoulder buttons.

this is
    startling news

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    If you get a hankering for more Kirby, Triple Deluxe isn't quite as good as Robobot, but it's still a ton of fun.

• Options

And that unlocks something, too.
    A copy ability room in the last world where you can pick up any ability you want. Including UFO and Smash Bros.

• Options
  • Options
    Funny, I recently picked up my save file on Paper Mario 1. Had only played TTYD and Super until now.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Hahaaa my save was literally at the hamster wheel part.

It always feels to me like people remember that part wrong and think you ACTUALLY have to farm out a million rubees

But I’m doing it now and well you DO have to hold right for 10 minutes

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah that part is a real dumb commitment to a bad bit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Hm maybe more like 5 minutes? I overshot by almost 5,000

It is extra annoying that you don’t see the counter going up in real time

sig.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Hahaaa my save was literally at the hamster wheel part.

It always feels to me like people remember that part wrong and think you ACTUALLY have to farm out a million rubees

But I’m doing it now and well you DO have to hold right for 10 minutes

I put a rubber band on the controller and let it sit overnight

• Options
    It’s like 5 minutes seriously

sig.gif
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    yeah that part is a real dumb commitment to a bad bit
    I think Super Paper Mario suffers a lot on replays. But I also remember every dumb gameplay bit hitting the mark the first time.

This discussion has been closed.