As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plumbing question: what do (installing gas range)

fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
edited May 2020 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi all,

We have an older house, and replacing the range I found that the gas line kit I purchased is smaller than the existing connections. I think all I need is a coupling to make the transition, but I'm not sure how to measure what I've got to get the right remedy: inside the line? outside the threads? somewhere in between?

My second question is: is it OK to cover the existing flare with a F to F coupling in order to install the excess flow valve? It seems like more bits than strictly necessary, but I'd rather not disturb the existing parts more than I have to.

This is the new line I picked up: https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-48-in-L-1-2-in-FIP-Inlet-x-1-2-in-Outlet-Stainless-Steel-Gas-Connector/999947700
The end that attaches to the range does appear to fit as intended, so it's just the wall side I'm dealing with.

Out of the wall, I have the gas line, the shut-off valve, a short length of pipe, then the flare.

Problem is, I'm not seeing F to F couplings that look like they would work. This appears too short:
As an alternate solution, I could cover the flare with another flare instead of an F to F coupling. It seems like 3/8" and 3/4" are the standards used, so if I buy one of each that reduces to a 1/2", one should work.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QAO326/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HVV628/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

These can also arrive tomorrow, which is nice, because, you know, food.

Thanks in advance!

fadingathedges on

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Everything you just typed compels me you need to hire a bonded professional before you blow up your house.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I would not take an amateur hour approach to gas lines. Water plumbing? I have fucked that up more ways than I care to admit but I just get wet. Gas lines will kill you, anyone else in your house, and possibly your neighbors.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I have done a lot of home renovation stuff over the years as work. Most of the time whether the work was done by an experienced plumber, or someone like me who has worked around it a lot there was a general willingness to wing it to a certain extent. "Yeah this should work so turn on the water and let's find out," is a fairly common phrase in my experience. Everyone of them balks at doing gas lines by anything other than code standard. It doesn't matter how expensive, time consuming, or seemingly trivial the difference is either.

In particular the idea of going with a smaller gas line like you suggested was extremely situational. Most of the time you just could not do it, and if that meant all work stopped for the day until we got the right parts then that's what happened. I think there are times it can be ok, but I won't pretend to have the expertise to comment. I also wouldn't trust anything short of a licensed plumber to say it for sure, and that will mean an in person visit. Shrinking the pipe can affect how much gas is put out which does not end well. Gas is really, really dangerous stuff and when things go wrong they can go catastrophically wrong.

As for how to measure it, well I am honestly not certain. You just learn what the sizes are is the easiest way to put it. Match like to like and move on from there. It will get you the right size but is a pain in the ass if you haven't seen it a ton.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Go to HD/Lowe's and talk with one of the guys in the plumbing section. Show pictures. I suspect you just need a reducer. It should all be NPT (nominal pipe thread); which is a standard thread. Residential gas piping I'm pretty sure is measured on the outer diameter since it's thin walled.

You'll need some form of sealant/pipe dope that's compatible with gas.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Enc wrote: »
    Everything you just typed compels me you need to hire a bonded professional before you blow up your house.

This is the only correct answer.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.