As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your [job] is to hand me that report from a safe distance

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have finally begun training the person taking my work from me 2.5 days before I am done here.

Its the guy from the Cyber Security department they hired over me last year. He doesn't understand a lot of the "technical terms" I am tossing out so I'm going over stuff slowly because hes been here over a year and doesn't understand even basic financial terminology because that hasn't been required of him.

The irony here is physically painful.

Now seems like the time to purposely train him wrong, as a joke.

Orrrr, leave your contact info for very expensive consulting support.

steam_sig.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I'm extremely perturbed that there is a giant celebratory oil worker statue, at all, let alone it being rebranded to mark a stupid pothead libertarian industrialist. The first several years of my life, my father worked rigs in north Texas and man, that is no life.

The Golden Driller is Oklahoma's shithead boyfriend screaming "You can't leave me, I'm all you got!" during an argument he started.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I have finally begun training the person taking my work from me 2.5 days before I am done here.

Its the guy from the Cyber Security department they hired over me last year. He doesn't understand a lot of the "technical terms" I am tossing out so I'm going over stuff slowly because hes been here over a year and doesn't understand even basic financial terminology because that hasn't been required of him.

Im super excited you found something new, but i am going to miss your office space style desk tribulations.

I had my exit interview Wednesday and the HR lady was like "Well I think I know the answer to this but was there anything that you haven't been satisfied with here?" and after going through the various things I mentioned the desk stuff and she was like "Yeah we all figured that, we saw the emails about you being moved over and and over again and were all like 'Wow this isn't a way to treat someone'" Yeah Nikki from HR, if only there was some kind of...resource that I as a human could rely upon to maybe step in and say "Stop treating this employee like shit".

I know HR isn't your friend but wowie
    If they ever call, your consulting fee is five times what you made when you worked there.

sig.gif
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Your teacher is probably to blame, but that's not how you spell twelve.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I played the 10 hour version of this when a fellow flipped me the bird tonight.
    https://youtu.be/AsiZCyQoEVg
    I am not saying he thought I was white, I am saying I needed to wield culture well.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

Im super excited you found something new, but i am going to miss your office space style desk tribulations.

I had my exit interview Wednesday and the HR lady was like "Well I think I know the answer to this but was there anything that you haven't been satisfied with here?" and after going through the various things I mentioned the desk stuff and she was like "Yeah we all figured that, we saw the emails about you being moved over and and over again and were all like 'Wow this isn't a way to treat someone'" Yeah Nikki from HR, if only there was some kind of...resource that I as a human could rely upon to maybe step in and say "Stop treating this employee like shit".

I know HR isn't your friend but wowie
    If they ever call, your consulting fee is five times what you made when you worked there.

You make sure you charge them minimum hours too, 3 hours.

Half upfront in the form of cash, cashier's check, or money order, no personal checks or credit cards.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    While I'm not pleased to be the next match-head in the pandemic fuse, I can't deny that it's a relief for weekends to exist again. I just finished mowing the lawn and thought "hell yeah, that's the last thing I have to do for the next three days" instead of "oh dear god, that's the last thing I have to do for the next ten days."

Plus, it's going to rain like an inch and a half on Monday, which is nice. I'll be able to lounge around and take uncharitable pleasure thinking of all the folks who were going to spend the day barbecuing at the lake without a mask on because Gummint Got No Right.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited May 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Maybe instead of meetings, we can just get some sort of device to syphon thoughts out of everyone's heads and then pool them all together and pipe them back out to everyone, so everyone is on the same page. Maybe even have one giant mind watch over them. Like, I dunno, an Overmind or something?

Sure, let's render everyone in this forum permanently unemployable by removing the barriers protecting our bosses and coworkers from our terrible head-innards. Good plan.

I, personally, would confuse a lot of people.

RoyceSraphim on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    It is really hard to get computer hardware right now, I need to get 5 PCs for a remote office, we prefer to build them ourselves because it's easier to maintain (support contracts are garbage, I keep a stock of drives/PSUs/etc) but I can't get like.. anything. By the time I get something in my cart it's sold out.

My other option is Dell, but bleh. I hate hardware that's locked in with special form factors and all that jazz.

No you can't go with Dell. An order I made in late Feb/Early March for 25ish laptops has been delayed again until late June at least.

Ugh.

Anyone run a PC building company that wants to sell me like 5 PCs with custom specs?

@minor incident maybe?

If my memory is correct

Yuuup. DM me if you need anything @bowen

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Havent left the bed since I woke up 2 hours ago, but I am going in on my day off in 20 minutes so I not feel bad

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Platy on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So yeah I am getting quite incensed over two people I work with. Both of them are just lazy as both of them will just do ice cream while I downstack with comments of they are proud they can do a pallet of ice-cream in 3 hours
    An example of it is last night the load came in two trucks so knowing the second load was not much I tired to encourage my co workers to help downstack the freight. One kind of did but we got done downstacking I wheeled the carts into the freezer and did the chicken before break. After break I knocked out a cart and a half of freight before he got done with ice cream

I have told the managers I will refuse to help someone be lazy they can sink themselves all they want
    About two weeks ago one of the two I was with in frozen did not want to do ice cream as we only had 40 minutes left it was about a 1.5M pallet of ice cream I told him he was a quitter and gave up to easily
    I and another person did the pallet while he wandered around "zoning"
    I know Wal mart does not get the best and the brightest but seriously

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Somebody booked a $400 room in Huntington Beach California under my name, using my email address. No charges on any of my cards, but I went ahead and froze all of my accounts anyways, also called the hotel to confirm that there really was a reservation and alert them that it wasn't me. So that all sucks, but like I said, no unauthorized charges currently, and I've got two-factor authentication on everything.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Somebody booked a $400 room in Huntington Beach California under my name, using my email address. No charges on any of my cards, but I went ahead and froze all of my accounts anyways, also called the hotel to confirm that there really was a reservation and alert them that it wasn't me. So that all sucks, but like I said, no unauthorized charges currently, and I've got two-factor authentication on everything.

Back when quarantine started someone set up a Doordash account with my wife's email and credit card, but it was really easy to deal with immediately because we instantly got the purchase emails.

After I requested a password reset on Doordash the account was now ours, but then I also took the time to call the restaurants directly to cancel the orders so the no good chucklefucks wouldn't get their stolen delivery dinnes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Back when quarantine started someone set up a Doordash account with my wife's email and credit card, but it was really easy to deal with immediately because we instantly got the purchase emails.

After I requested a password reset on Doordash the account was now ours, but then I also took the time to call the restaurants directly to cancel the orders so the no good chucklefucks wouldn't get their stolen delivery dinnes.

You also could have asked Doordash to send police to their door instead, to ask some questions.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If there's no CC information or additional personal data on the reservation (this is at Weaver) then it's within the realm of possibility that someone just has a very similar name and email to yours (this kind of thing happens to me every month or so*). Regardless, better safe than sorry.

*there are at least half a dozen motherfuckers in three different countries who persistently cannot seem to type their own goddamn name correctly. My latest one was a gent in the west of england who put my email down as a contact for his real estate agent. Before that it was an old guy in a florida suburb who tried to set up an online bank account using my address, and that one was genuinely worrying because the bank sent me enough personal data that I could have happily stolen this poor guy's identity if I'd wanted to.
    Anyway I got my personal email account back when gmail was still invite only so all these johnny-come-lately's can go and, frankly, suck a nut.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

You also could have asked Doordash to send police to their door instead, to ask some questions.

Ahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

I had my Doordash account hacked while I was on an airplane once. I landed in another country and when I hooked up to the airport's wifi I had a series of emailed receipts for Doordash orders placed in three different states all within 40 minutes of each other. It took an absurdly long time to reach an actual human at Doordash customer service - and was only possible by digging up a number via a website that provided shortcuts to human help; I couldn't actually contact anyone through anything Doordash provided. My case was escalated to some higher level support who eventually contacted me back. They resolved the matter by refunding me for the three orders and canceling my Doordash account. But they didn't cancel my subscription to Doordash+ (or whatever the name is), the service that gave you unlimited free delivery for $10/month. When I saw later that I was still being charged monthly for an account that I couldn't even use, I tried to contact Doordash and never got a response. I had to contest the charge with Amex to get it to go away. Eventually.

Doordash gives no fucks whatsoever about their customers, or anybody using a customer's account. There is no chance that they would pursue the matter with any form of law enforcement.

Ketar on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have a card I top up before each use which I use for all online purchases specifically so if anyone ever gets into one of my accounts they won't be able to charge me shit.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Doordash is one of those gig economy "disruptor" types that are already playing fast and loose with laws. A company that is willing to trespass on a business's grounds to plug in a device designed to forcibly insert orders into the establishment's system is not one that gives a flying fuck about the actual customer beyond the minimum

edited May 2020
    Man, if someone ever accidentally typed my weird Slav-ass surname into any online order form, I would call an ambulance. They are clearly having a stroke of some kind.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Doordash is one of those gig economy "disruptor" types that are already playing fast and loose with laws. A company that is willing to trespass on a business's grounds to plug in a device designed to forcibly insert orders into the establishment's system is not one that gives a flying fuck about the actual customer beyond the minimum

I knew they were shady but good grief!

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

Got a reference for this? I'm not having much luck with google.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42464861/#Comment_42464861

Doordash trespassed into a closed area of the restaurant to plug in an iPad sort of device that was intended to link to the restaurant's wifi and transmit orders from Doordash into the restaurant's system while also acting as a check-in station for Doordash drivers, thus depriving the actual delivery drivers of said restaurant their own work. The restaurant did not consent to any of this, Doordash just did it of their own accord.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42464861/#Comment_42464861

Doordash trespassed into a closed area of the restaurant to plug in an iPad sort of device that was intended to link to the restaurant's wifi and transmit orders from Doordash into the restaurant's system while also acting as a check-in station for Doordash drivers, thus depriving the actual delivery drivers of said restaurant their own work. The restaurant did not consent to any of this, Doordash just did it of their own accord.

Market. Disruption.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have 4 hours of zoom meetings on Wednesday. Currently figuring out how to join them using a VR headset.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I have 4 hours of zoom meetings on Wednesday. Currently figuring out how to join them using a VR headset.

Go with the green screen

hsvtf3r6c4ae.jpg

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Go with the green screen

hsvtf3r6c4ae.jpg

I just tried this thing called Spaces that makes an avatar of you with different cameras you can move and a white board in VR and then you can put that into zoom. It was very early development though and very rough. I feel like the novelty of that would be gone pretty quick.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Graduated. Won the award for Outstanding Research given to one graduating student for my professional report. Multiple professors reached out afterwards congratulating me, and my supervisor is going to help me get the manuscript ready to submit to journals in the next few weeks. Feels pretty good.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Did you eat the snake or keep it mostly profesh?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Oghulk I'm so very proud of you, buddy. I'm so excited to see what comes next. You have more than earned this.

Someone dinged the thermal exhaust port of our office space with their assigned company car, now there is one literal fucking key needed to be kept in leadership hands at all times till we complete repairs.

Surprising thing, this is the first time we had the exhaust port hit that anyone can remember.

Also got told the story that there wasnt a manual control to the shuttle bay until they got hit by lighting, stuck inside, and had to wait for someone to show up to assemble a rope machanism for the door

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Someone dinged the thermal exhaust port of our office space with their assigned company car, now there is one literal fucking key needed to be kept in leadership hands at all times till we complete repairs.

Surprising thing, this is the first time we had the exhaust port hit that anyone can remember.

Also got told the story that there wasnt a manual control to the shuttle bay until they got hit by lighting, stuck inside, and had to wait for someone to show up to assemble a rope machanism for the door

Shuttle Bay? Thermal Exhaust Port? Do you work in a suspicously moon shaped building?

Anyone else hit that point where they are wondering if they are short of breath or just are not breathing fast enough and start overthinking their breathing?
    honovere wrote: »

Shuttle Bay? Thermal Exhaust Port? Do you work in a suspicously moon shaped building?

Do not want to get specific but shorting out building circuitry snd locking staff out is vexxing

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Somebody ran into the outside AC condenser and their garage door broke?

Somebody ran into the outside AC condenser and their garage door broke?

More like power to alarm system, which also controls the door lock.

Garage door was years ago.

This is so weird. My district has overnight become an Apple district that still uses Office 365 for everything. Also I'm the one at my school with the most Apple experience so they are asking me for suggestions. It seems like we can easily airplay from ipads to the promethean boards so that is fine and doesn't require extra stuff. We might need apple tvs to wirelessly connect to the LCD projectors, unless we go wired and get lighting to hdmi connectors and really long hdmi cables? Also my suggestion to gut the fairly new laptop carts of the piece of junk laptops we don't need anymore and rewire the carts for ipads to use as charging stations in the classrooms is well liked. Saves having to buy more expensive charging stations. Just need extra lighting cables and power adapters.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    If there's no CC information or additional personal data on the reservation (this is at Weaver) then it's within the realm of possibility that someone just has a very similar name and email to yours (this kind of thing happens to me every month or so*). Regardless, better safe than sorry.

*there are at least half a dozen motherfuckers in three different countries who persistently cannot seem to type their own goddamn name correctly. My latest one was a gent in the west of england who put my email down as a contact for his real estate agent. Before that it was an old guy in a florida suburb who tried to set up an online bank account using my address, and that one was genuinely worrying because the bank sent me enough personal data that I could have happily stolen this poor guy's identity if I'd wanted to.
    Anyway I got my personal email account back when gmail was still invite only so all these johnny-come-lately's can go and, frankly, suck a nut.

This happens to me all the time too. There's a couple repeat offenders that I'm so tired of contacting to tell them to fix their shit that I now cancel their orders/reservations/accounts with no mercy or apology.

There's a black woman in Texas that looks for new jobs every couple months or so that puts "her" email into every stupid job list she can find on the internet. Occasionally employers contact her through those lists and I now just straight up tell them they're talking to the wrong person and that this is an ongoing problem with this woman that multiple phone and email conversations has not been able to resolve.

Another person in Georgia somewhere likes to buy stuff. I cancel the orders and delete the accounts as soon as the order confirmation emails come in now, as nothing else works.

Some Illinois older dude is a complete jagoff and diehard super duper conservative Republican who has just enough real estate and HOA dealings each year to be annoying. He was also a total jackass to me on a couple occasions when I tried to correct the behavior, so now those emails get Replied-All with demands to include funds for Hookers and Blow in legal documents, or get the HOA to pay for 20-foot tall intricately detailed statues of a penis to be placed at the neighborhood park, or other such things. The resulting peer pressure has slowed the torrent of his stuff considerably.

Customer service with companies where accounts are created is usually pointless to deal with in terms of explaining the situation. Much simpler to just delete the account entirely. Also super fuck every service that doesn't immediately verify the user is using an email they actually have access to.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Came in to work today. Had an absolutely terrible night of sleep last night, just the fucking worst. At least traffic was light coming in.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Came in to work today. Had an absolutely terrible night of sleep last night, just the fucking worst. At least traffic was light coming in.

I had the exact issue last night. I can't suss out why other than I just laid there and did not sleep.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    Man, Mondax is even more challenging when you have to wear pants and a mask after wearing neither all weekend.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.