As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I was given a slow cooker (an actual Crock Pot) some years ago, and more recently, an Instant Pot as an upgrade. I still keep the former around, just in case, but maybe I should look into handing it off to someone in want?

Commander Zoom on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2020
    I had some raddichio for reasons best left unexplored, which I've never really come to terms with as a vegetable - I like earthy, clean, and bitter, but raddichio just goes too hard, you know? you're like whoah dude let's dial it back a bit

anyway I sliced the leaves into 1-inch wide strips and sauteed them briefly in garlic, anchovy, lemon and olive oil* and now I'm a complete raddichio convert bring it all to me now

*aka the make-anything-taste-good sauce

tynic on
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    My pressure cooker is pretty old and of the old design (the rattle top) but even still it has an interlock to prevent opening under pressure as well as 3 pressure relief systems in place: the aforementioned rattle top (a screw on weight that acts as a valve as long as the pressure is under the operating pressure and can float/rattle to relieve little bits of steam as the pressure pushes on it), a pop-uip valve built into the interlock system and finally a silicone stopper that will shoot out of the ring it's seated in. I only want to get rid of it because the pot itself is raw aluminum and I'd rather use a more food-safe material like stainless steel. We considered an instant pot but we already had a slow cooker, pressure cooker and rice cooker and enough space to store them all so it seems to make more sense to use stuff designed to work well for a single application than be mostly okay at 3.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I was given a slow cooker (an actual Crock Pot) some years ago, and more recently, an Instant Pot as an upgrade. I still keep the former around, just in case, but maybe I should look into handing it off to someone in want?

I have both of these and I plan on keeping them both.

My not-an-insta-pot-branded multicooker is tall and narrow and works great for soups and stews. My slow-cooker is shorter an oblong in shape and works much better for beef roasts and other things that i don't want necessarily drowning in liquid.

• SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made moussaka for lunch yesterday:

4ka8qhhyz4xy.jpg

Very complex preparation (you're basically making three separate dishes, hopefully simultaneously), but the result was worth it

xet8c.gif

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I've been watching a lot of Bon Appetit on YouTube recently, and when I was debating what to make for dinner tonight I saw this and was like, "Hey, something I can actually cook!"

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TpY7B00Pqf8

Definitely don't have the patience to wait 30 minutes on a grilled cheese though.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    After making a multitude of different kinds of burgers over the years, I think my favorite style for a homemade burger is the classic smash burger with cheese. You just get so much tasty crust on each patty, they cook quick, are super juicy and you can stack depending on how much meat you want. I love all burgers, but when I'm making them at home it's the the smash, maybe with bacon. I'll go out to eat for fancy different kinds of burgers.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Well I'm being that guy and started a sourdough starter last week. Rather than discard the starter when I fed it yesterday (ahead of making a sourdough loaf - see the bread thread once I sort the photos out) I made us sourdough pancakes for lunch. Bloody yummy they were - and there's batter left over for breakfast which I'll be doing in a moment once I've gone for a run.

fs7iksdumkm7.jpg

Please ignore the tea spatters up the toaster :?

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Hope I'm not too ... slow to the slow cooker discussion, but I really love my slow cooker and it's only one I've found with a meat probe so that you can set a cook temp for meat. Hamilton Beach, I think it's like 5 or 6 quarts I can't remember but it's legit.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I have been making tempeh reubens with my homemade jewish rye for the last few days, and the sauerkraut I'm using has seaweed in it, so I've been doing the tempeh in a pan with garlic and ginger and mirin before I add it to the sandwich and toast it

It is very good

However I used the last of my tempeh yesterday so today I just broiled the shit out of some broccoli and made a "reuben" with straight broccoli

Hey gang

Broccoli rules

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Made a dutch baby for dessert this evening:

IC71GvM.jpg?1

The photo didn't come out well, but I topped this with whipped cream and raspberries

xet8c.gif

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I forget if I asked about this before, but are any of you fine chefs fans and users of carbon steel pans? I'm considering buying a skillet because it offers the choice of seasoning on a stovetop, which is my only seasoning option since I don't have an oven big enough to season something large as cast iron. Just looking for recommendations, especially if anyone else has tried the stovetop seasoning method before.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Kenji Lopez-Alt uses a carbon steel crepe skillet and gave it a good review. It was some wild brand though.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ok time for an upgrade in our cooking supplies. Our pots and pans are only like 4/5 years old, but they are beat to shit (mostly because my wife insisted on using every pan we own to fry with until we finally got the enameled dutch oven), our Air Fryer is old enough that it doesn't get go to temps as high as some of these recipes ask for, and the slow cooker is starting to wear out.

We have a tiny Instant Pot (which we love) but were thinking of giving it to my wife's parents and getting a bigger one, and it could do double duty as both the slow cooker and instant pot. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these Ninja 9 in 1 things that can also be an air fryer I guess?

Also our stove is awful. Just the gas is so uneven and so high that even the lowest setting burns and boils. Since we rent and don't own, I was thinking of getting an induction cooker, but I have 0 experience with them.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I might be able to help with the last one! Most gas stoves have little flathead screws behind the burner knobs that you can adjust to lower the lowest burner setting. Most stoves come with them turned up way too high because if they're too low the flame can go out and start pumping gas into your house. And typically "your stupid stove burned my risotto" gets fewer negative reviews than "your stupid stove killed me and my whole family."

Here's a step-by-step method for properly adjusting them. I discovered this feature on my own stove a few months ago and it's improved my cooking life no end.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I would say the first step is get an enamel pot. That way things will get ruined less.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Ok time for an upgrade in our cooking supplies. Our pots and pans are only like 4/5 years old, but they are beat to shit (mostly because my wife insisted on using every pan we own to fry with until we finally got the enameled dutch oven), our Air Fryer is old enough that it doesn't get go to temps as high as some of these recipes ask for, and the slow cooker is starting to wear out.

We have a tiny Instant Pot (which we love) but were thinking of giving it to my wife's parents and getting a bigger one, and it could do double duty as both the slow cooker and instant pot. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these Ninja 9 in 1 things that can also be an air fryer I guess?

Also our stove is awful. Just the gas is so uneven and so high that even the lowest setting burns and boils. Since we rent and don't own, I was thinking of getting an induction cooker, but I have 0 experience with them.

Anyone have any suggestions?

For the instant pot, Instant Pot makes an 8 quart that can do it all, if you're happy with the brand. I've heard the Ninja ones aren't too bad either.

Instant Pot Duo Crisp

A countertop induction burner will work just great as long as you have cast iron or stainless pots and pans. I don't know what brands are good though.

Blake T wrote: »
    I would say the first step is get an enamel pot. That way things will get ruined less.

We got one this past Christmas and it's been our go to. I'm actually looking into getting a could smaller ones because it's so wonderful

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Hey y'all, I got a sugar question. I want to make these (I know, sticky buns again?!)
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cinnamon-date-sticky-buns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCv-RCdAKVE

Now after watching the video, this all seems simple. There's one thing I noticed though, and it's not the first time: every time I see some video from North America, the brown sugar is of a finer consistency than the stuff here, and it almost seems a little...wet? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Because a) adding sugar to dates seems a little overkill, but more importantly b) there is nothing worse than grainy sugar texture in filling, to me. I could maybe pulse it in my food processor to get rid of the graininess...?

unrelated sidenote:
    Just had some mayo on a sandwich (cheese and cucumber). I'm still not convinced it's that great. Maybe it's just bad mayo? What is it that people love about it? It has no real taste of its own to me!

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    We got an Instant Pot Duo Crisp a month-ish ago and I don't have anything bad to say about it. I looked at some reviews before we got it and the main difference between it and the Ninja seemed to be that the cooking pot in the Ninja is ceramic coated and the IP is stainless steel. The accessories for one fit the other, which is nice (Ninja makes a better tiered dehydrator basket, for instance).

Edit: this wasn't super detailed, if you have any specific questions let me know!

Peen on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Hey y'all, I got a sugar question. I want to make these (I know, sticky buns again?!)

Now after watching the video, this all seems simple. There's one thing I noticed though, and it's not the first time: every time I see some video from North America, the brown sugar is of a finer consistency than the stuff here, and it almost seems a little...wet? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Because a) adding sugar to dates seems a little overkill, but more importantly b) there is nothing worse than grainy sugar texture in filling, to me. I could maybe pulse it in my food processor to get rid of the graininess...?

unrelated sidenote:
    Just had some mayo on a sandwich (cheese and cucumber). I'm still not convinced it's that great. Maybe it's just bad mayo? What is it that people love about it? It has no real taste of its own to me!

Mayonnaise is great and I have no words to describe it.

But generally homemade mayo is much better than store bought.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

yeah brown sugar is like damp, i think because of the molasses content, and feels more like wet sand than granulated white sugar

it shouldn't come out grainy, i don't think, it should dissolve in the baking process

after some googling, i think there is a difference between "brown sugar" and other sugars that appear brown in color like demerara sugar

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The American brown sugar you're seeing is sugar that has molasses in it (which is why it's fine and has a wetter appearance). It is not the same as sugars that are brown because they're taken earlier in the refining process, such as demerara.

I don't know if it's actually any more common in the US than anywhere else, but molasses is more common as an ingredient in the US than it is in other places so that wouldn't be that surprising if it were true.

3cl1ps3 on
    This might help: an American baker in Spain doing science to come up with the best substitute.

https://tastycakesmadrid.com/the-best-brown-sugar-substitute-in-baking/

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the infos, folks, that was what I assumed. Very helpful!
    Jedoc wrote: »
    This might help: an American baker in Spain doing science to come up with the best substitute.

https://tastycakesmadrid.com/the-best-brown-sugar-substitute-in-baking/

Perfect, thank you! Molasses...I might get some organic stuff, that is probably my only option. I effin' knew it. This'll be an interesting baking adventure!

e: oh man, there is a (organic brown) sugar of which the company claims it has a "high molasses content". *rubs hands enthusiastically*

e2: now that I think about, it makes a lot more sense that both caramel attempts failed miserably, the sugar differences being what they are. Feeling slightly better about me and my kitchen skills

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I will state that molasses is good - julienne some carrots, then dip them in molasses and eat them.

Man, it has been a grip since I had some molasses on corn bread. I might have to grab some for Bean Club this weekend.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Okay, my first thought was "there's no way to air fry in an instant pot, you need a convection fan for that."

Then I clicked through to the whole picture and actually gasped as I realized what these mad bastards had done. I...might need to look into this.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    That's bananas. I toyed with the idea to try the Amazon Basics version of the appliance, but it seems the InstaPot has a lot more going for it

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

I love that wirecutters air fryer review is to basically buy a regular convection oven.

edited May 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I love that wirecutters air fryer review is to basically buy a regular convection oven.

What if you have filthy flatmates that ruin the oven and refuse to clean it though

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Yeah, that's my next option. I really like the Breville countertop convection oven we bought for the break room with last year's staff appreciation money. I just have a monkey-brain aversion to sticking a 500-degree electric oven directly under my cabinets, and my kitchen is all overhung with cabinets.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    When life gives you onions, make french onion soup.

x2m8t2exw251.jpg

What if you have filthy flatmates that ruin the oven and refuse to clean it though

Well then your filthy flatmates are going to ruin the instant pot version too, I would imagine.

Okay, my first thought was "there's no way to air fry in an instant pot, you need a convection fan for that."

Then I clicked through to the whole picture and actually gasped as I realized what these mad bastards had done. I...might need to look into this.

Yeah I just bought the one that comes with both lids and fits 8 quarts. It's coming in gunfire and I'm pretty exited? Not sure what to cook in it, maybe wings?

For dessert today, made turnovers stuffed with apples, walnuts, and gorgonzola cheese:

J3tO6cj.jpg?1

Puff pastry is magical

xet8c.gif

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    z24gcudh3fmi.png

I made mac and cheese on the grill.

I also made burgers.

I then lay on the couch for like 40 minutes.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Then you buy the special "filthy bastard flatmate accessory", which is a Super Soaker you fill with ice-cold water, and if they make a mess in the oven and don't clean it, you spray them in the face with ice cold water three times per night while they are asleep until they clean said oven.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Yeah I just bought the one that comes with both lids and fits 8 quarts. It's coming in gunfire and I'm pretty exited? Not sure what to cook in it, maybe wings?

Anything frozen that you pull out and think "man this'd be better if I did it in the oven but who has the time, so microwave it is" comes out perfectly from the air fryer in almost no time at all! It's revolutionized my kids' chicken nugget game.

This discussion has been closed.