As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why just distract yourself when you could ALSO listen to a [podcast]?

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    probably the best post ever made on the internet is on this page of this thread

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    That is the best possible way to get a totp

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I jokingly considered this possibility but dismissed it without a second thought. Like all humans, hubris was my undoing as well as my making.

I would inform y'all how many posts you have left to make it count, but evidently, I have no fucking idea what that number is.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    No new FatT this week?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    *save for future opus*

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    This conversation between the centaur and harpy is killing me (in a good way, this vaguely pirate harpy voice has me snickering like a fool) on the newest Rude Tales.

Also, isn't Touch Rustrod one of the names from Space Mutiny or another MST3K?

I’m at that point in the podcast so I haven’t heard where they go next yet, but wow, the front-loaded, prolonged one-on-one with Tim had me checking the time frequently and I barely restrained myself from fast forwarding. I’ve kinda gotten used to his comedy as Stirfry, but this new character was just not what I wanted to listen to for twelve minutes straight. Tim has Big Theatre Kid Energy and it’s best taken with the rest of the cast.

God yes. A week or so ago I listened to the New Year's special and thought the same thing about his character in that. Stir Fry is funny sometimes but the thing he does where he just has to do big energetic streams of words but he clearly hasn't thought of what to say are really starting to grate on me.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Tim grated on me a bit in Come At the King but "look at us three, what a pair we make!" did a lot to win me back over

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    No new FatT this week?

so no new ep this week, taking a break, maybe next week two

which is fair

but I am in DIRE NEED of another actual play

anyone got any additional good recommendations, aside from NADNDP

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    No new FatT this week?

so no new ep this week, taking a break, maybe next week two

which is fair

but I am in DIRE NEED of another actual play

anyone got any additional good recommendations, aside from NADNDP

I have nothing BUT Actual Play recommendations

Protean City Comics: A Superhero Actual Play using Masks, set in a fictional comic book universe. Leans hard into the teen drama, and hard into the meta-history of the publishing company that releases their fictional comic series. Arcs are bundled as "Volumes" and are generally self-contained, making it easy to hop in pretty much anywhere.

Shuffle Quest: a multiverse-hopping campaign, each session set in a different pop culture-themed RPG (such as the Men In Black RPG from 1996).

Unexplored Places: A campaign length pod about exploring weird worlds through roleplay. Season 1 was an excellent Monster Of The Week game, and season 2 (which I candidly have not gotten to yet) has been in Scum and Villainy.

Heart Points: A one-on-one campaign podcast, which explored a homebrew Dungeon world setting in its first season.

Pod Of Love: A(nother) two-player RPG actual play focused exclusively on romance games, primarily using the game Fog Of Love.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    I've been thinking, and I really want to run a BitD game in the Fallen London setting

a lot of people seem curious about the lore of the game but are understandably put off by the """gameplay"""

and as a certified Person Of Terrible Priorities who has been playing the game since 2011 and has invested a not insubstantial amount of real world money in unlocking every available story, I feel like I'm in a unique position to actually craft a compelling narrative using that setting's unique strengths

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I've been thinking, and I really want to run a BitD game in the Fallen London setting

a lot of people seem curious about the lore of the game but are understandably put off by the """gameplay"""

and as a certified Person Of Terrible Priorities who has been playing the game since 2011 and has invested a not insubstantial amount of real world money in unlocking every available story, I feel like I'm in a unique position to actually craft a compelling narrative using that setting's unique strengths

Damn. The real question is, why haven't they been publishing game books this whole time?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I do not know what BitD is but you'd have to struggle pretty hard for a translation of Fallen London to any other game system to be a downgrade you should do that thing

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My only real question/concern with that is that Blades in the Dark, by definition, is about criminal gangs engaging in criminal activity.

There is a space for that in Fallen London, but I feel like (and this is admittedly based on my memory of having played years ago) that a lot of the game is more based around maneuvering through mid to high society. Are you going to be adapting any systems to be based around that, or are you just thinking of sticking with the crime elements that are present within Fallen London already?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    There is definitely a thrust towards gaining respect and notoriety and influence in Fallen London but it does become apparent once you get enough lore in you that
    being a social striver and gaining influence and power amounts to you thrashing tantalisingly in the web of the spider that is the Bazaar

Hobnail on
  • Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I listened to Eidolon Pop episode 3, they're starting whatever their job entails now I guess
    "Um... weren't we gonna go over chapter 14 today?" "We can also go over chapter 14."
    "I love how you have twisted this situation on me, and now I have to give you an extemporaneous lecture. Truly I've been hoisted by my own petard." "It's almost like I transmuted it, like some kind of alchemist." "Fuck off."
    "Forcing each other into a snafu, that's what this game is all about."
    Professor Brooks, more like Professor Books, since he apparently has written a book now
    "I read the text and just reply back, skull emoji, skull emoji, skull emoji, popcorn emoji, dragon emoji." "Oh, okay. She's watching a movie."
    "We have a poop emoji situation."
    "Does anyone know how to use a rotary phone? Professor?" "Now's my time to shine."
    "Right, y'all have fun with whatever the fuck this is. James walks away."
    "You, um, intuitively get the sense that maybe you should ask about those other departments instead of keeping trying to guess an absurdly secure password."
    "Refusal of the Call 3: Refusal Harder"
    "Do you love the Constitution?"
    "Another liberal snowflake college student, can't even debate in the marketplace of ideas, am I right?" "You doing okay there, Luke buddy?"
    "Just find a door, that you don't know what's on the other side of, and open it up!" if this were a visual novel, this is where they'd explain schrodinger's cat
    "I love how much of this audio podcast we're doing is devoted to us describing text messages."
    "Alexis is gonna text everyone to go enter a door that they don't what's behind it, and if they don't do it, then they're super lame, and she's not their friend anymore." "You know exactly how to get Sloane to do things."
    "Oh, I thought it was the slime, I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was racism." "There's always going to be a little bit of slime in the Undertow!"

• Options
    edited May 2020
    BitD is blades in the dark, which is basically running a gang, including playing characters doing heists and base building inbetween missions

The "stress" mechanic of the system actually interacts really well with FL's Menaces - you can resist bad consequences and try and give yourself an extra edge on a roll but you'll gain stress, which can be very bad if it goes too high; so you have to use your downtime to relax by indulging your vice

Indulge too much though and your character could get lost in a hedonistic fugue

Also your gang has different classes and upgrades - you can command a bunch of skulky thieves or a coterie of spies or be hawkers of unique luxuries

Which in FL could mean dabbling in spirifage, smuggling love stories to the surface or running a really good restaurant

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    also the nice thing about fallen london more "proper" elements is that illicit and illegal are different things with different boundaries

Lets say the hottest thing in salons is poetry readings, the racier the better; except the most outrageous poems are outright banned by the bazaar or the ministry of public decency. Want to get into the good graces of a baronette? Go steal some confiscated verses from a vault, smuggle them from hermit poets in the swamps, or forge convincing copies that'll get you through the door but unnoticeable by the special constables

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm way into that red honey, son

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Most of the Crew types in Blades could transfer over to Fallen London pretty neatly. Honestly, the most difficult one would be the one where you murder people, since people in Fallen London can get better.

• Options
    that's actually pretty easy to solve - what can you offer the Boatman? will you take on an obligation from one of the other people in the boat on the river or can you make a trade that'll save you from the far bank? if not, then your character is out of the game for the session until they can heal and you have to use someone else

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Death could just be treated the same as marking trauma, it works super neatly honestly

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I mean, your character going off to the Tomb Colonies is still removing them from game.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    ... y'all keep saying a lot of things that make me just wanna dive on into some wikis or something, shit

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I mean, your character going off to the Tomb Colonies is still removing them from game.

Or you just become a Tomb Colonist in london and suddenly bandages become a must-have fashion accessory

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this interaction between David Simms and Dan after one of Elliot's overlong bits on today's Flophouse (paraphrased)
    Dan: Now David, I want to know, what's it like being on a podcast with a Griffin that you cannot control? Does it just grate on you?

David: No man, you've got it the wrong way around. I'm not in charge of driving this car so I'm having a great time just kicking back and listening to everyone talk.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Not a podcast but this is good watching and listening a eu4 lan game hosted by paradox it is amazing

The Pope also known as the paypal state (arrogance gets u slapped pope man), Texas shows up, Irish pirate republics, and more up and just some dumb shit it rules

And eliminated teams get to rejoin as a different nation so it's max chaos at all times

https://youtu.be/biNgpLFF6lM

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    GodDAMN I love Rude Tales

Butter St. Beefs had me laughing so hard I wept onto the dishes I was attempting to do

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The harpy (can't remember her name) getting "senator" and "centaur" confused killed me

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think my favourite exchange was
    when Tim defended himself saying he doesn't stab people that much and the harpy pointed out "...Your cufflinks are daggers!" and Tim was like "Oh. Yeah. Wow, good point."

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Are harpies being into baubles a general d&d thing or something specific to the character? I didn't know there was an association between tits out hellenic birdwomen and theft of shiny curios

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Well I mean birds like shiny things.

Also the various crow trader NPCs in the Dark Souls games.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I just figured it was a magpie thing

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

I love how Grimothy is just 85% of the way to Doom Patrol's Robotman here

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    oh my god Ben did his own Fury Road-style intro narration for this Blank Check episode

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Sadly, the Blank Check watchalongs aren't my thing it seems.

They are too tangential to focus on the movie at the same time, but too sparse as standalone podcasts.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    did Blank Check announce who was after Miller

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    did Blank Check announce who was after Miller

No, but it’s Nora Ephron

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Podcasts thread I'm having trouble remembering where I heard a joke and it's killing me.

I am thinking it might have been mst3k

Tallahasseeriel on
This discussion has been closed.