As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Also that limited box set was pretty garbage. Sleeves instead of cases and everything.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Also that limited box set was pretty garbage. Sleeves instead of cases and everything.

It could have been handled better. But with the sheer number of movies/discs involved, proper cases would have greatly increased the sheer bulk and price of the product. Could they/should they have done it? Yeah probably, though I wonder if somebody crunched the numbers and found it to be wholly unprofitable.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I'm still waiting for an actual collector's edition for Phase 3 but I'm not sure that's going to happen anymore. :(

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Depending on whether you want to watch them or keep them, you could probably just get a Disney+ sub for a month or two and burn through em. Unless you want to watch all of them more than 14 times each, and it takes you 2 months to get through them all, it's cheaper just to sub to Disney+ whenever you wanna watch em. It's like $7 a month vs $200+ for the entire series.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for an actual collector's edition for Phase 3 but I'm not sure that's going to happen anymore. :(

Yeah, I gave up on that awhile ago. My tesseract and orb will forever be alone.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Depending on whether you want to watch them or keep them, you could probably just get a Disney+ sub for a month or two and burn through em. Unless you want to watch all of them more than 14 times each, and it takes you 2 months to get through them all, it's cheaper just to sub to Disney+ whenever you wanna watch em. It's like $7 a month vs $200+ for the entire series.

D+, at least in Canada, is still missing about 1/3rd of the MCU movies

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    We got two nice Blu-ray boxsets for phase 3 over here. Not a collectors edition with a thingy, but nice, and much cheaper than buying singletons.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Well, that's pretty dumb. Do other streaming platforms have the rights at the moment or something?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Well, that's pretty dumb. Do other streaming platforms have the rights at the moment or something?

Netflix.

Are the spider-man movies on d+?

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Those are Sony, so check Crave, Netflix, Hulu depending on regional blocking

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

I'm an old and I like physical media.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Spiderverse was on Netflix last time I watched it

• VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Spiderverse was on Netflix last time I watched it

Far from Home is currently on Starz.

Visskar on
    steam_sig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Sony's quest to make a movie out of every character that ever appeared in a Spider-Man comic continues, with a movie planned for: Jackpot.

...no, no one else remembers who she is either.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Now mind you, I've been out of Marvel comics for a long time, but is Jackpot even in the comics any longer? Has she been for a while?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    With a character nobody cares about, there'll be no fanboy backlash.

It's brilliant, I tell you, brilliant.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Sony's quest to make a movie out of every character that ever appeared in a Spider-Man comic continues, with a movie planned for: Jackpot.

...no, no one else remembers who she is either.

Never heard of her. Checked wiki, and from a superhero perspective, meh. Very generic kit. Superstrong, agile, resilient. So no different to a large number of heroes already. And nothing you don't already get with Danvers or Valkyrie.

The background/alias aspect however does look like it could be interesting, especially if they resolve it all within the one movie (though it'd need to be given enough room to breathe).

But doing it solo, I'm not sure if it'd work. I think more characters could be introduced as part of larger movies, rather than standalones to start, unless they're intending to be major players. And while I'd want more women in leading roles, I think a more unique character both from a storyline side and from the powerset side.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Jackpot was interesting when it was teased she was Mary Jane, then it turned out no, it wasn’t. That’s about all I remember.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Jackpot was interesting when it was teased she was Mary Jane, then it turned out no, it wasn’t. That’s about all I remember.

Shows you how much I know. I haven't read anything with her and I just assumed with the name and looks that it was Mary Jane in disguise. How funny.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »

Shows you how much I know. I haven't read anything with her and I just assumed with the name and looks that it was Mary Jane in disguise. How funny.

She was one of the new characters introduced during Brand New Day, which came right after the whole One More Day thing which erased the Spider-Man Mary Jane marriage, so yeah, was kind of a forgettable time when it comes to Spidey canon. Didn’t really pick up until Dan Scott took over and gave us Doc Ock Spidey

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    With a name like Jackpot, you would think the superpower would be something like she's super lucky or something. Not... generic super strength.

Like half the people in Marvel's New York City have super strength. You are not special at all. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I could see it being used sarcastically/adopted ironically.

"Boy, wow, just like everyone else. Guess I really... won the Jackpot."

Edit: though self awareness would probably be a bit challenging to do without getting too close to breaking the 4th wall. Not impossible, they've had self-referential stuff before, but I could see it being a thin line to walk all the same.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    With a name like Jackpot, you would think the superpower would be something like she's super lucky or something. Not... generic super strength.

Like half the people in Marvel's New York City have super strength. You are not special at all. :)

I mean hell, at least make her origin something like she was the only person in <insert large number here> of people that the <insert weird science experiment here> managed to cure <insert made up incurable disease here> and holy shit super powers or something.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I could see it being used sarcastically/adopted ironically.

"Boy, wow, just like everyone else. Guess I really... won the Jackpot."

Edit: though self awareness would probably be a bit challenging to do without getting too close to breaking the 4th wall. Not impossible, they've had self-referential stuff before, but I could see it being a thin line to walk all the same.

it's a reference to MJ's relatively famous first line. Which is why everyone thought it was her. And then it was "no, it's this woman we don't care about and will never see again"

Also, I am absolutely going to guess she ain't gonna be cast to look like Zendaya.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, the character exists solely to troll the readers and put salt in the wound, post-OMD.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They killed off one of the Jackpots. The gay one, obviously.

9DR3tPR.jpg

edited May 2020

I mean hell, at least make her origin something like she was the only person in <insert large number here> of people that the <insert weird science experiment here> managed to cure <insert made up incurable disease here> and holy shit super powers or something.

That was literally the origin of one of them, looking at that article. Except it was to cure Parkinson's, apparently.

Fencingsax on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Those drugs seem to have messed up her neck pretty bad!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    oh, it's good that she's got a Tylenol in her drug cocktail. That's probably the secret to her powers.

Fireflash wrote: »
    She dies like 5 pages later
    ThtwfmH.jpg

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    seeing those panels back to back with no other context is wonderful

'man won't all those drugs kill you, jeez'

'okay gimme the bad news doc'

'all those drugs killed her, spider-man'

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Xantomas wrote: »
    oh, it's good that she's got a Tylenol in her drug cocktail. That's probably the secret to her powers.

Comics love that thing where a super smart person can never solve the problem because the solution is really stupid.

Peppermint was a key factor in Hyde's cocktail. Which was otherwise basically this plus gorilla testosterone.

Hevach on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »

She has a neck?

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    seeing those panels back to back with no other context is wonderful

'man won't all those drugs kill you, jeez'

'okay gimme the bad news doc'

'all those drugs killed her, spider-man'

It's like a weird, sad version of Milkshake Duck.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I started rereading Infinity War(the comic), and boy, I sure hope they bring back Thanos sometime if the films manage this somehow, because he's wonderful in it.

Infinity-war-villains-thanos-interesting-700x457.jpg

He's amazing as an anti-hero.

"I heard you had become intelligent, Hulk. It seemed those reports were in error."

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I started rereading Infinity War(the comic), and boy, I sure hope they bring back Thanos sometime if the comics manage this somehow, because he's wonderful in it.

Infinity-war-villains-thanos-interesting-700x457.jpg

He's amazing as an anti-hero.

"I heard you had become intelligent, Hulk. It seemed those reports were in error."

Future Thanos being the Greatest Avenger Ever is a beat that's shown up a bunch of times.

Yeah, the big secret behind Thanos is that he's ten times more interesting when he's not the main villain.

This discussion has been closed.