As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Invectivus wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    I will say, Alberta's reporting on testing has been great, some of the best I've seen worldwide:

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-19-alberta-statistics.htm

Not really. They are still doing limited testing, it’s just now you have to be lucky caller 6 to get your free test. People I know have had symptoms EXCEPT the fever and the government has told them to sit at home for the quarantine period and then return to work. You can still be contagious without symptoms.

I was referring to the details on reporting.

That sucks that your friend couldn't get tested, my friend who had a cold got tested, though his partner is a health-care worker who visits many seniors centers, so that may be why.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Are we allowed to just post memes here? Because this one got me pretty good ...
    8a6oe4mqyg71.png

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Scaremongering.

May 16: 391
    May 17: 340
    May 18: 304
    May 19: 427
    May 20: 390
    May 21: 413

We've been hovering around 300-400 for a while and due to the unpredictable nature of disease progression and testing, you can't really look at the lows of 300 and call that "a good day" or the highs of 427 and call that "a bad one". The truth is more likely somewhere along the middle.

Source

Now what's more concerning is that the 5-day running average looks like it's starting to spike back up, though that's heavily influenced by more-recent days, so even that's not a fully reliable number.

In short, the real truth of the situation is far more likely to be evident over a period of observation, not in the day-by-day totals, but big, spiky, scary day-by-day totals get more views.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So, BC is giving a pandemic pay boost to a bunch of different workers. Guess who isn't included?

Doctors. WTAF!

:so_raven:
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    The point of the pandemic pay boost is to boost low wage essential staff who make less than the CERB closer to it. I imagine the vast majority of doctors make more anyway.

• Options
    Blarghy wrote: »
    The point of the pandemic pay boost is to boost low wage essential staff who make less than the CERB closer to it. I imagine the vast majority of doctors make more anyway.

Uh, no.

Look at the health occupations that are eligible. Nurses, NPs, Paramedics, etc are not low wage staff. Some of these roles would be lower paid, but this clearly isn't focussed on low wage roles only.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/temporary-pandemic-pay
    Registered nurses
    Licensed practical nurses
    Nurse practitioners
    Registered psychiatric nurses
    Allied health professionals
    Resident doctors
    Health care assistants, community health workers and other patient care support workers
    Paramedics
    Pharmacists
    Administrative/clerical support roles
    Essential non-clinical staff, including
    Food service workers
    Housekeepers
    Laundry workers
    Porters
    Security
    Other key roles

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    It says Resident Doctors in that list. Or is that deceptively restrictive?

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Nova_C wrote: »
    It says Resident Doctors in that list. Or is that deceptively restrictive?

A resident means they are still going through their residency program and are not considered staff. My wife's residency program was 5 years long (Psychiatry) plus an additional 2 years for her Sub Specialty (Youth and Adolescent). The pay increases as you go through your program, I think at least in Alberta it plateaus out at around year 5 and then you usually see a big jump in rates etc once you are all done and staff, depending on the specialty and how much you work of course.

My wife has been doing all her work remotely and through telephone/video conferencing, which can be difficult since a good chunk of her role is getting the rapport with the patient so they will actually talk. Though unlike almost every other province the UCP and in turn Alberta Health Services seem to be hellbent on fucking over the medical community.

I have an old article from 2011 in Macleans that reported max salary for Residents across the provinces and the max they had for Alberta sounds about right. Not sure if the other provinces numbers are still right.. also with how things are in Alberta I have no doubt we will see that number drop significantly.

https://www.macleans.ca/education/university/medical-residents-in-alberta-the-highest-paid-in-canada/

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Corvus wrote: »
    Blarghy wrote: »

Uh, no.

Look at the health occupations that are eligible. Nurses, NPs, Paramedics, etc are not low wage staff. Some of these roles would be lower paid, but this clearly isn't focussed on low wage roles only.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/temporary-pandemic-pay
    Registered nurses
    Licensed practical nurses
    Nurse practitioners
    Registered psychiatric nurses
    Allied health professionals
    Resident doctors
    Health care assistants, community health workers and other patient care support workers
    Paramedics
    Pharmacists
    Administrative/clerical support roles
    Essential non-clinical staff, including
    Food service workers
    Housekeepers
    Laundry workers
    Porters
    Security
    Other key roles

I did a bit of digging and it appears that the benefit excludes fee for payment providers,
    The top-up does not apply to excluded management staff, fee-for-service providers or employees on leave.

It is my understanding that most doctors in BC fall under the fee for payment category, or are employed by small businesses that act in a similar role as a fee for payment service provider.

Looking at the wage range, the highest average on the list above is Pharmacists at about $115,000/yr and Nurse Practitioners ($90,000). Doctors on the other hand have an average of between about $105,000 on the low end for some and upwards of $180,000 - $225,000 per year for others depending on the site and how they define family physicians.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    So back in November, the Alberta Education Minister Adriana LaGrange accused the Calgary Board of Education board of Trustee of "Reckless Mispending" as they were having troubles with the massive shortfall in funds due to the UCP budget.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/lagrange-minister-education-alberta-calgary-board-education-audit-1.5366272

She requested an independent audit of finances and governance, citing as usual the 20 lease on the CBE building downtown. (a lease that was championed by then board Trustee Gordon Dirks, later PC MLA and then Education Minister under Jim Prentice.. they never seem to mention that part) http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Alberta+education+minister+pushed+pricey+headquarters+leaked+documents+show/10211916/story.html

The audit completed and we got the results.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/cbe-calgary-board-of-education-schools-audit-1.5577794?fbclid=IwAR3LVABVCvksunPH2WO7TaFsL-kj3PP2W_A3ZbH14R-BIquPhnPAmMLZTHU

No signs at all of Reckless Mispending, but the auditors did have recommendations.

"In a report made public Thursday, the auditors made 25 recommendations as they called for more long-term planning and governance and policy tweaks as opposed to wholesale reform of the CBE.

In response, LaGrange issued a ministerial order that requires the board to implement 17 new procedures and to consider two additional procedures that all stem from the findings of the audit. It must complete those changes by Nov. 30.

However, when asked at a news conference Thursday, the minister denied the audit was an exercise designed around a pre-determined outcome to dissolve the board.

She said the board has a "systemic history of questionable decision-making."

"If the CBE fails to get their house in order by November 30, I will have no choice but to dissolve the current board of trustees," said LaGrange.

She said although some of the identified issues stretch back into previous elected boards, the current iteration has had 2½ years to make significant changes.

"

So in about 7 months, in the middle of a pandemic with no idea what the future of schooling is going to look like and still being saddled with the budget shortfall they got from the UCP they must do all 19 recommendations or have the democratically elected board dissolved and replaced.

I unfortunately cant seem to find a copy of what the recommendations are yet but the article has this blurb
    (Here is the ministerial order from LaGrange https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/education-cbe-ministerial-order.pdf )

"The audit made 25 recommendations in regards to the CBE, including a need for:

Greater financial risk analysis.
    Longer-term vision.
    More stringent financial controls.
    Improvements to a board culture that it found was mired in secrecy and mistrust.
    The CBE says some of the changes ordered by the minister are already underway, including moving more teachers back into schools, optimizing use of the CBE headquarters and reducing English Language Learning supports in alignment with government funding.

The audit also says the CBE is too focused on single-year budget outcomes.

"In general, assessment indicators currently lack key aspects of accountability for financial risk management and overall value for money of program expenditures, and it is currently unclear how the future financial sustainability of program delivery is considered within policy or assessment indicators," reads the report.

The report notes the elected board lacks financial expertise and, although it employs an audit committee made up of experts, those members lack any significant mandate to ensure financial risks are managed and properly forecast. "

The bolded section stands out for me as why wouldnt they be focused on that since they have absolutely no control over how much is in their budget, and that number can change significantly depending on who is controlling the purse strings, at least that is my hot take.

I predict come November the board no matter what they do will be removed and "replaced" by a hand picked board by the UCP which then will set about crushing teachers unions and making new adjustments to the curriculum.

Oh here is the CBE's reply.

https://cbe.ab.ca/news-centre/Pages/board-of-trustees-response-to-independent-external-review-finances-governance-cbe.aspx

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So back in November, the Alberta Education Minister Adriana LaGrange accused the Calgary Board of Education board of Trustee of "Reckless Mispending" as they were having troubles with the massive shortfall in funds due to the UCP budget.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/lagrange-minister-education-alberta-calgary-board-education-audit-1.5366272

She requested an independent audit of finances and governance, citing as usual the 20 lease on the CBE building downtown. (a lease that was championed by then board Trustee Gordon Dirks, later PC MLA and then Education Minister under Jim Prentice.. they never seem to mention that part) http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Alberta+education+minister+pushed+pricey+headquarters+leaked+documents+show/10211916/story.html

The audit completed and we got the results.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/cbe-calgary-board-of-education-schools-audit-1.5577794?fbclid=IwAR3LVABVCvksunPH2WO7TaFsL-kj3PP2W_A3ZbH14R-BIquPhnPAmMLZTHU

No signs at all of Reckless Mispending, but the auditors did have recommendations.

"In a report made public Thursday, the auditors made 25 recommendations as they called for more long-term planning and governance and policy tweaks as opposed to wholesale reform of the CBE.

In response, LaGrange issued a ministerial order that requires the board to implement 17 new procedures and to consider two additional procedures that all stem from the findings of the audit. It must complete those changes by Nov. 30.

However, when asked at a news conference Thursday, the minister denied the audit was an exercise designed around a pre-determined outcome to dissolve the board.

She said the board has a "systemic history of questionable decision-making."

"If the CBE fails to get their house in order by November 30, I will have no choice but to dissolve the current board of trustees," said LaGrange.

She said although some of the identified issues stretch back into previous elected boards, the current iteration has had 2½ years to make significant changes.

"

So in about 7 months, in the middle of a pandemic with no idea what the future of schooling is going to look like and still being saddled with the budget shortfall they got from the UCP they must do all 19 recommendations or have the democratically elected board dissolved and replaced.

I unfortunately cant seem to find a copy of what the recommendations are yet but the article has this blurb
    (Here is the ministerial order from LaGrange https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/education-cbe-ministerial-order.pdf )

"The audit made 25 recommendations in regards to the CBE, including a need for:

Greater financial risk analysis.
    Longer-term vision.
    More stringent financial controls.
    Improvements to a board culture that it found was mired in secrecy and mistrust.
    The CBE says some of the changes ordered by the minister are already underway, including moving more teachers back into schools, optimizing use of the CBE headquarters and reducing English Language Learning supports in alignment with government funding.

The audit also says the CBE is too focused on single-year budget outcomes.

"In general, assessment indicators currently lack key aspects of accountability for financial risk management and overall value for money of program expenditures, and it is currently unclear how the future financial sustainability of program delivery is considered within policy or assessment indicators," reads the report.

The report notes the elected board lacks financial expertise and, although it employs an audit committee made up of experts, those members lack any significant mandate to ensure financial risks are managed and properly forecast. "

The bolded section stands out for me as why wouldnt they be focused on that since they have absolutely no control over how much is in their budget, and that number can change significantly depending on who is controlling the purse strings, at least that is my hot take.

I predict come November the board no matter what they do will be removed and "replaced" by a hand picked board by the UCP which then will set about crushing teachers unions and making new adjustments to the curriculum.

Oh here is the CBE's reply.

https://cbe.ab.ca/news-centre/Pages/board-of-trustees-response-to-independent-external-review-finances-governance-cbe.aspx

All part of the UCP's pretty obvious plan to switch to private or religious education.

Hell, Kenney is the product of those Jesus factories.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The culture around face coverings is changing, good.

Uhm, this isn't a comparison between cultural face coverings and ones to prevent the spread of a pandemic, right?

The Pandemic pay boost thing is a boondoggle in Ontario at least, initially EMTs and respiratory techs didn't qualify. Then the unions piped up. Then the hospitals piped up. Pretty soon everyone was getting it. Where I work we're told we qualify, but good luck getting real answers. Personally, I feel like it should just apply to people making less than X, where X is gonna be a lot less than a doctor or nurse makes. Yeah, sure you're at risk, but you knew what you were getting into and you're paid well. That poor schlep who cleans the floors and the beds? Not so much. They're probably contracted outside labour no less and don't get shit.

Nosf on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I don't beleive for a second that a racist wearing a mask over their face is going to stop being an asshole to someone wearing a hijab wrapped over their face or a burkha.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I just personally think aversion or attractiveness of face coverings is culture driven, wasn't even thinking about race. I was more thinking about how more readily acceptable masks are in say Japan compared to Canada and also how their masks aren't just functional, but fashionable - as a consequence, I think masks for functional reasons, people in different cultures find functional masks less embarrassing or uncomfortable, making them less likely to touch the mask.

So, I consider more people wearing masks at times other than say Halloween to be encouraging that fewer of us are being embarrassed by them and possibly even considering it a thing that can be beautiful rather than scary, like a covering worn to go skiing or something. I want my Canadians to be proud of their masks, like we're all doing Deadpool cosplay or something.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Just got back from taking a walk with my daughter... local community centre had 20-30 teens playing basketball like there wansn’t a pandemic going on... I am not pleased :-/

• Options
    Did I really just see some shit from Harper saying he lost his last election because the media wouldn’t cover him? WTAF, media has been largely conservative biased in this country for years with the wrap around political adds on national papers right before the elections. This is some gas lighting bullshit.

Not linking to source because apparently it’s white supremacist associated or something.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, he was doing something with PragerU, the alt-right propaganda people. Quote I saw complaining: "They would not cover my announcements. They would not cover any gaffe of my opponent, they scrubbed it out ... They would not run any ad that showed footage depicting my opponent in an unfavourable light ... We literally were censored out of the coverage."

Funny, I seem to remember it a bit differently. I think that was around when I stopped watching as much TV, in part because it was just non-stop "nice hair though".

Edit: and seen this picture popping up of the major newspapers' endorsements for the '06, '08, '11, and '15 elections:

849o9j0ot8r31.jpg

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Conservatives playing victim is hardly a new move. Also, these are people who consider Rebel Media as factual and accurate reporting, so of course they think the pro-conservative-but-still-vaguely-attached-to-the-facts MSM is biased against them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Did I really just see some shit from Harper saying he lost his last election because the media wouldn’t cover him? WTAF, media has been largely conservative biased in this country for years with the wrap around political adds on national papers right before the elections. This is some gas lighting bullshit.

Working the ref has been part of conservative strategy worldwide since the 70s. Not least because so many of them are so delusional they actually believe they're getting a raw deal from the corporate toadies ever-so-timidly raising tiny points of discrepancy and ignoring the outright lies and misinformation.

• Options
    Trinity Bellwoods Park in Toronto was bonkers today. This is NOT cool.

For those who don't know, Bellwoods is THE place for young hipsters to go and day drink.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/05/23/trinity-bellwoods-packed-coronavirus/

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    ya I've definitely seen people from France think Quebecois french is some dirty cousin and only dumb people speak

One of the fascinating bits of weirdness with french is that France has a ministry of language, whose job is to decide which terms are "real" French and which aren't; rather than just letting stuff evolve organically, they try to manage it. I vaguely remember the introduction of "le weekend" being a bit of a drama back in the eighties?. I assume that Quebec doesn't have the same language control, so the divergence is going to cause all sorts of amusement for speakers of one "kind" of French comparing against the other.
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Trinity Bellwoods Park in Toronto was bonkers today. This is NOT cool.

For those who don't know, Bellwoods is THE place for young hipsters to go and day drink.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/05/23/trinity-bellwoods-packed-coronavirus/

We were debating taking a walk for an hour or so today over at St. James park, just to get some air and exercise...but I’m guessing enforcement is going to be all over the parks today, and it might be hugely busy, and either way we don’t need the anxiety, so I guess we’ll stay in and play Animal Crossing instead.

Thanks, people who apparently don’t know what a pandemic is.

• Options
    The funny part to me is that the venn diagram with "Lockdown Protesters" and "Bellwoods Day Drinkers" on it would have very, very little overlap.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    ya I've definitely seen people from France think Quebecois french is some dirty cousin and only dumb people speak

One of the fascinating bits of weirdness with french is that France has a ministry of language, whose job is to decide which terms are "real" French and which aren't; rather than just letting stuff evolve organically, they try to manage it. I vaguely remember the introduction of "le weekend" being a bit of a drama back in the eighties?. I assume that Quebec doesn't have the same language control, so the divergence is going to cause all sorts of amusement for speakers of one "kind" of French comparing against the other.
    Québec has an organization in charge of defining usage: l'Office de la Langue Française. The main difference with l'Académie Française is that l'Office is not completely disconnected from reality and, among other things, is not deeply sexist.
    For example, instead of translating "email" as "mél", they used "courriel". Also, they consider "la ministre" a perfectly natural form rather than a bold declaration of radical feminism.

The rest is just the usual divergence between languages. Québec simply split from France earlier than most other French speaking areas; they will all diverge too, eventually.
    Also, there's a significant English influence in Québec french, both towards it and away from it.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »

Québec has an organization in charge of defining usage: l'Office de la Langue Française. The main difference with l'Académie Française is that l'Office is not completely disconnected from reality and, among other things, is not deeply sexist.
    For example, instead of translating "email" as "mél", they used "courriel". Also, they consider "la ministre" a perfectly natural form rather than a bold declaration of radical feminism.

The rest is just the usual divergence between languages. Québec simply split from France earlier than most other French speaking areas; they will all diverge too, eventually.
    Also, there's a significant English influence in Québec french, both towards it and away from it.

Honestly, my phone had that saved as a draft and I forgot about it before I went to whinge about parks. Interesting though!

That said, we’re going to walk up to the maternity ward for some exercise instead of the park, so it all works out.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

What I find wild is that any country which uses language as a communication protocol doesn't have a regulatory body that enforces and standardizes that protocol.

Hey, maybe the reason the Anglophone world has shitty social policies is because no one can effectively communicate with anyone else, because they consistently get bogged down in definition haggling, leading to atomization and distrust between different speakers of the English language, leading to more difficulty empathizing and building solidarity between individuals, leading to more difficult organization, leading to more difficult collective action.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

What I find wild is that any country which uses language as a communication protocol doesn't have a regulatory body that enforces and standardizes that protocol.

Hey, maybe the reason the Anglophone world has shitty social policies is because no one can effectively communicate with anyone else, because they consistently get bogged down in definition haggling, leading to atomization and distrust between different speakers of the English language, leading to more difficulty empathizing and building solidarity between individuals, leading to more difficult organization, leading to more difficult collective action.

I don't think a regulatory body for the english language would do much of anything to stop that. How would you even enforce it between nations? How would you stop it from penalizing cultures who had their own vernaculars or terminology?

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

That's not how any language work. At all. Even languages with a supposed authority, because no one actually care about them. Seriously, look at what the Frenchs do to their language and despair.
    Prescriptivism just doesn't work, no matter how tempting it is to put rules-enforcing shock collars on people, to make language more regular and easier to process automatically.
    People will neologize and mess things up, and usage will change, because that's how languages and people work and evolve.

The shock collars are still tempting, mind. Sadly, I estimate I would be able to install at most 10 before being arrested, beaten up, or shocked to death by my own shock collar.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Conservatives playing victim is hardly a new move. Also, these are people who consider Rebel Media as factual and accurate reporting, so of course they think the pro-conservative-but-still-vaguely-attached-to-the-facts MSM is biased against them.

Conservatives playing the Victim is the worldwide strategy at this point. It's literally all they have. They are only against things always at all time. Always attack so that you never actually have to do anything or support a position. hell Sheer's last election strategy was "Doesn't Trudeau suck a lot? " .... The media totally echoes and gives them equal time regardless of how insane things are and they know that.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

Very very proud of the NDP right now, this is some good shit

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    That's rad but how much say do the feds have on that part of provincial labour law

I know I keep banging this drum but Ontario did get those paid sick days in the same reform that gave us 44 hour overtime and well one of those things stayed when the cons came in

All I'm saying is if the feds can legislate it as a law without bullshit compromises it will rule and hopefully the NDP can force that

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    The feds can only legislate labour law for federally regulated companies (like airlines, banks, and such). The vast majority of workers (especially low pay ones unlikely to have PTO) are provincial responsibility.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    If he wasn't a damn, dirty separatist I think I would love Yves-Francois Blanchet.

Looks like ripped the Liberals and Conservative parties for taking emergency money from the government. He allowed that the NDP and Greens might actually need it, but not the Libs or Cons. And the Bloc?
    He said his party has not applied for the emergency wage subsidy, explaining, “as people worthy of respect, we did not ask because we don’t need it.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/wage-subsidy-political-parties_ca_5ecc1731c5b6bc86ceedb5f6

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Damn, son

• Options
    edited May 2020
    That's rad but how much say do the feds have on that part of provincial labour law

I know I keep banging this drum but Ontario did get those paid sick days in the same reform that gave us 44 hour overtime and well one of those things stayed when the cons came in

All I'm saying is if the feds can legislate it as a law without bullshit compromises it will rule and hopefully the NDP can force that

I literally had no idea that the Ontario mandatory minimum sick leave was three days unpaid (because my workplace is offering far more than that, and I came from a country which was statutorily also far more than that, so I never looked into it).

That's insane.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    If he wasn't a damn, dirty separatist I think I would love Yves-Francois Blanchet.

Looks like ripped the Liberals and Conservative parties for taking emergency money from the government. He allowed that the NDP and Greens might actually need it, but not the Libs or Cons. And the Bloc?
    He said his party has not applied for the emergency wage subsidy, explaining, “as people worthy of respect, we did not ask because we don’t need it.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/wage-subsidy-political-parties_ca_5ecc1731c5b6bc86ceedb5f6
    Ahh yes, people who need help aren’t worthy of respect.

That totally isn’t a viewpoint that is super problematic

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski