As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Unlucky wrote: »
    danx wrote: »
    I can't figure out what this hag wants for din dins. Something with 3 items and winged stuff in it. Tried a bunch of stuff with flying monster parts in it but nothings working
    If you or anyone else figures this out please let us know, I'm stuck there too. 3 ingredients one of them being 'Winged gubbinz' I know that relates to the colour on the left hand side.(Those have names fyi, this one is green).

It seems only to work with one of the 5 special recipes which require 3. I am missing one special recipe which might use green but I found which works.
    Green + Blue + Spider goop in off slot, called Fried Squirrel Fish.
    I suspect you need to do one of the recipes that requires three ingredients (ie the left-most column in the cookbook). Not just a two-ingredient recipe, with a third thing tossed in the pot.

I don't know if this will work, but try...
    ...anything red and orange, plus Eagle Talons in the third slot.

That was the one I was missing. Ta.

danx on
    There's no landmark for Grom after taking Tor Yvresse in ME. Bummer :(

What's the deal with green skin casters? Foot of Gork seems good but outside of that the orc and goblin casters seem lack luster. Haven't bothered putting them in armies outside of initial trial run. Hags seem better in every way. Am I using them wrong?

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I haven't played orks but I've seen others using the combat enhancers to great effect. It's not as flashy as foot of gork but when you're making your deadly orks even more deadly they can really rip and tear through the enemy.

Gvzbgul on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Got about halfway through the Eltharion Vortex campaign today. It's pretty fun. I haven't played much High Elves (as in, I've literally played one High Elves campaign before, for about 50 turns) so it's a bit overwhelming trying to grok all the Mistwalker units too. Like, there's two types of spear archer dudes, one that's unbreakable and one that's armor piercing. Not sure which is "better" so I'm just using a couple of each along with a pair of Sisters of Avelorn. Got the Lion Chariots but I haven't had a good opportunity to try them out. Ulthuan got under control really quickly so there weren't many enemies for me to fight after around turn 30 when I took Sartosa. I kinda feel like I've fallen behind as a result, because I have the two Yvresse provinces, the two-settlement province north of that, and Sartosa, and everything else is under Tyrion or Alarielle.

I sent 1.5 stacks to the Southlands to grab some new land, but it's all uninhabitable desert. Seems kind of odd that the quests would point you in the direction of bad climates. And of course, the Greenskins have long since been kicked out of the Badlands by Settra, so unless I want to torch a bunch of desert fighting Tomb Kings I have to give up on that. Figure I'll go knock out Grom's tribe in the mountain area and see what else is habitable around there. Not sure if getting all the way to Spektazuma is feasible though, unless I get enough power to confederate the rest of the High Elves.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how I feel about the new gobbo chariots. They're sort of what Grom's bonuses are tilted towards and they seem to do decent damage but my god if you look away at the wrong time these things just fucking explode. I don't know exactly what's causing it (might be the charge bonus running out? maybe they're going too deep?) and it's certainly thematic but it's hard to depend on having them be any use late in a fight or taking multiple tough fights in a turn.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    If there is anything I've learned from playing Grom and Imrik in Vortex...I hate the Shifting Sands province. It's a liability and will conspire to keep you bogged down forever.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I am playing as belegar atm and so far it's been a hell of a campaign

steam_sig.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    danx wrote: »
    There's no landmark for Grom after taking Tor Yvresse in ME. Bummer :(

What's the deal with green skin casters? Foot of Gork seems good but outside of that the orc and goblin casters seem lack luster. Haven't bothered putting them in armies outside of initial trial run. Hags seem better in every way. Am I using them wrong?

Buffs buffs and more buffs. Itchy nuisance is a huge and cheap offensive debuff. Sneaky stabbin is a decent offensive buff and really good when only one unit needs it. Curse of da bad moon is a decent dmg vortex and a huge defensive debuff at the same time. Which lasts for 22 seconds after the curse ends. Vindictive glare is a good, high penetration, missile which is one of the few that overcasts for more damage.

Combined with the new waaugh orcs have very little no buff downtime

The big waagh has a similar profile but with bigger impact and longer cool down. Its main single target buff is primarily defensive rather than exclusively offensive and its AoE buff its hilariously offensive. Its small AoE dmg spells are OK but only really great on someone who can cast lots. Foot of Gork is the second most damaging spell in the game and the second largest radius spell in the game behind the third “of itza” spell. Foot of gork is worth the entire line of dmg spells being eh. (But theyre still not bad for hurting archers you have trouble getting to)

Imo big waagh is better for chokepoints and vs dwarves. Little waagh is better vs orcs and other things youre generally OK fighting.

wbBv3fj.png
  • CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    The Mirror abilities disappearing seems like a bug, since at the very least this process should be documented somewhere. Also that's not how interrogation works.

Less Forgetful Eltharion (BETA) is a mod to (probably) keep the knowledge you learn from interrogations:

Mistwalkers Benefit from Skills and Techs is another by the same person to let all your Mistwalkers benefit from technology and red skills, which you might naively assume would already happen.

I get the impression Eltharion was done in a bit of a rush.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Bugs I have noticed thus far.

Something is making random agent models "float" and without the model positioning (they look like walking voodoo dols)

High Elves can get their crafted items from ocean battles again (they had a previous patch note to stop it from occurring, whoops)

Imrik cannot be confederated by Ellarion. (does anyone know if this applies to the other HE factions?)

Lords from ocean battles or rebellions that are captured don't give you anything, it is as if you didn't capture them at all.

If you capture a legendary lord in battle, you do not get their trait.

Having said all that, The Warden Vortex campaign is fun. It is somewhat offputting that the other HE faction with gobble up the rest of the island before you have an opportunity to get it yourself. They should probably make him have desert regions as orange territory so he at least has somewhere to expand to. I suspect the ME map is better as he can just take his fight to the orcs directly.

Has anyone else noticed that attempting to reroll the winds of magic always gets the same value

wbBv3fj.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Yeah I saw that on a Legend of Total War video, and the comments are reporting the same thing, that Gamble isn't working since the patch.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I know we'll map them all out eventually but I did like accidentally solving the Hag's riddle when I thought I didn't have the ingredients.

She asked me to bake her a pie.
    I saw greyed out recipes that looked like pies but I didn't have the ingredients yet.

I cooked a Magnum Pizza for the buffs.

I solved the riddle.

Oh. A pizza pie.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    I assumed the 'forgetting' mirrored abilities was probably intentional, simply because there's a limit of two cells and holding prisoners doesn't really seem to have much purpose beyond keeping whatever ability you're mirroring. I guess you also get to keep a powerful lord out of action (Settra is currently occupying a cell for that very reason) but there aren't many I'd really go out of my way to lock down. It would be much more fun if you could mirror as many abilities as you could collect though.

While I'm enjoying the Eltharion vortex campaign generally, I can't help but think the Athel Tamarha upgrades seem a bit disappointing. Without much in the way of effort I've managed to get the overall defense to level 3. Completing two of the three missions has probably helped a fair bit, and being 'encouraged' to go hunting off Ulthuan has been great fun, but even then I don't really feel like I've had to try to achieve it. Most of the upgrades seem a tad bland as well. Allow recruitment of some extra mistwalker units (no big deal, I'm nowhere near cap) and... well that's about it really? Mistwalkers account for 4 of the upgrades. The rest are: Interrogation (good!), Mist of Yvresse (meh?) and a drip of 1 influence per turn (why?). The last one (shrine of Loec) is probably the worst of the lot. 1 Influence per turn is more or less negligible. Upgrading it to +2 per turn is hardly something I'm going to be excited about. The mists I've had little use for (so far) as I've driven all the enemies off my part of Ulthuan already. Spreading it to allies territory would be nice - if alliances didn't make it harder to confederate (apparently).

Overall the upgrades just feel like a mild afterthought to the campaign. Maybe keeping all mirrored abilities could make it much more interesting?

Started a new Grom campaign because it's so damn fun. Fishy Shroom Burger is a really good early game recipe.

Fishy Breath is great. It's basically an overcast wind blast. Grom also gets perfect vigor which means he kills everything and doesn't get tired. Also has +10 growth for duration, 10% replenishment and +5 rep when crafted.

I'm on target to take out all of Bretonia inside one Waagh! The elfs might slow me down but Averlorn and Caledor have my back so despite everyone else declaring war it's just Yvresse and Cothique that are showing up one army at a time. I'll be scared of that when the Waagh! runs out. Maybe.

The more Elf armies that show up the faster the next Waagh!

And now Morathi joins against Saphery. Stupid elf things gonna get eatin'.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Mortal Empire Grom is so much more explosive than the Vortex version...mostly because Brettonia is pretty cordoned off while southern Khemri is bullshit central.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Getting real tired of the bug others seem to be reporting was reintroduced with this patch where melee units randomly forget their attack orders and just derp around not doing anything.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Getting real tired of the bug others seem to be reporting was reintroduced with this patch where melee units randomly forget their attack orders and just derp around not doing anything.

Yeah it's pretty egregious. Most notable where you have units trying to chase down broken or routing units. Doesnt seem to happen when the units are actually engaged fortunately.

steam_sig.png
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »

I thought I just had guard on automatic...

Amusing detail: If you're playing as Grom, you can click each recipe in the book to hear a short blurb of him reacting to each one.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Oh this explains a lot. There's a bug that has green skin waagh armies raid the region they were created in not the one their parent army is raiding. Fucking wonderful. I thought I was going insane when I was getting warnings about raiding my own region and losing money from raiding during the Waagh.

This patch has some seriously stupid bugs.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I think work from home is hurting their testing flow a lot.

The latest Three Kingdoms patch is pretty good though.

I guess the rule is whenever they release an expansion for a game just play the other game, because the bugs from the last release for it are probably worked out.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »
    The Mirror abilities disappearing seems like a bug, since at the very least this process should be documented somewhere. Also that's not how interrogation works.

Less Forgetful Eltharion (BETA) is a mod to (probably) keep the knowledge you learn from interrogations:

Mistwalkers Benefit from Skills and Techs is another by the same person to let all your Mistwalkers benefit from technology and red skills, which you might naively assume would already happen.

I get the impression Eltharion was done in a bit of a rush.

For some reason High Elf dlc never provides tech/red line bonuses to DLC units. I have mods that make sure Shadow Warriors, Sisters of Averlorn, and Averlorn's tree units benefit from tech and such. Although I believe an update actually added SoA and Shadow Warrior tech. Still no love for Averlorn's tree units.

This also seems to be an issue mainly for High Elves. Skaven units got appropriate red line/tech, and I think DE did too (although I haven't done a DE campaign in a year plus). And Orc side of the DLC makes sure that pumps and idols get a tech and have red line bonuses.

So yeah, I think its just elves where they neglect their upgrades.

Also I'm trying to figure out how to make a mod where Grimgor can use the cooking mechanic. I really prefer playing as grimgor but the cooking mechanic is so effective (read: OP as fuck) that I want to enjoy it. I just don't like paunch, and I want to use units other than goblins.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Yeah, wouldn’t be surprised if work from home complicated their QA.

In possibly related news, voice files for not only the Black Orc Big Boss have been found, but also the Black Orc Warboss, and Ol’ Blacktoof as a legendary hero. Obviously the last one was cut, but wonder if we’ll get both of the others with time.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    I would be surprised if there isn’t, at least by game 3. Black orc big boss is supposedly coming as flc soon, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the warboss come along with it.

edited May 2020
    So for anyone having trouble with imrik on mortal empires, going to post my strategy that I just killed eshin and got off to a good start with. This was on normal because I was just doing a quick run to check out imrik, but should work fine on hard. I can’t speak to legendary but if you play on legendary you shouldn’t complain.

1. DO NOT TAKE the dwarf settlement on turn 1. Hang back, recruit some units, and hit end turn.
    2. On turn 2, you should get a quest to take, sack, or raze 6 settlements. NOW you want to take the dwarf settlements asap. ONLY take the ones in your province, then peace out (if you chase them to the last settlement, you can probably take it but you will get declared on by the clan rictus offshoot in the same province which you don’t want.
    3. Go down to your starting settlement, build up as big an army as you can afford. Around this time some the greenskins to your east may offer a non-aggression pact, take it, you may break later but you want them to focus on fighting Eshin. Also if you have contact with khalida try to get her to NAP you. Sometimes she will even go to war with Eshin with you which is helpful.
    4. As soon as you finish recruiting, go sailing to the dragon isles, declare war on Malus Darkblade, and kick his ass. Should have little trouble, he may not have even killed all his lizardmen guys he starts fighting by this point.
    5. At this point if you are lucky, eshin should still be mopping up the greenskins and you should have 2 full provinces. Pick the least defended eshin city you can get to from the coast, attack and sack it (you don’t really care about getting anything but a sack credit here). Flee back out to the ocean and go to your main settlement to mount a defense. You should also go to the dragon that pops up and pick the option for using his ability or getting influence.
    6. Next turn, you’ll get an option for confederation for caledor. Take whatever option, I recommend probably the one that gives diplo bonuses because you don’t want trouble on ulthuan.
    7. Disband all armies on ulthuan, use your now-massive income to mount a defense against and eventually take over eshin. Try to get khalida on your side if you can. If you can manage to wipe them out you are pretty much golden and shouldn’t have too much trouble consolidating from that point.

Jealous Deva on
    Okay but no really, that sack value

OGJ1CFP.jpg

(campaign's almost done, would've been done like 15-20 turns earlier if Yvresse didn't keep cockroaching to random other settlements instead of being mostly contained on the east side)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Karoz wrote: »
    I know we'll map them all out eventually but I did like accidentally solving the Hag's riddle when I thought I didn't have the ingredients.

She asked me to bake her a pie.
    I saw greyed out recipes that looked like pies but I didn't have the ingredients yet.

I cooked a Magnum Pizza for the buffs.

I solved the riddle.

Oh. A pizza pie.

The hag lied to you
    A pizza is a tart and not a pie

wbBv3fj.png
    Ughh. I forgot Skarsnik is right there near Grom in ME the past two days. Could have had him ages ago.

Just realised when Reikland killed him.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I felt goblins power creeped regular orcs so I made a mod for it, if anyone is interested.

Edit: I feel like doing a Bretonnia playthrough. What are everyone's favorite mods for them?

OpposingFarce on
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I certainly enjoy all the buffs you can put on goblins, but it puts da Boyz in an odd spot.

While it's not totally a tier 1 goblins, tier 1.5 orcs, 2 big uns, savages, etc. having goblins with an impressive 75 armor is huge. Night goblins aren't even close which is weird but thinking of moving towards a more trollish front line with fanatic archers behind as I moved toward the mid-late game.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Yes I too have noticed that goblins are better front line units once you have all the upgrade for them. 75 armor on goblins is also crazy. I'm not sure how orcs could even compare to them at that point. The only real advantage the orc boys have late game is their better weapon damage.

orc arrow boys should be able to get the heavy arrows. For some reason they can get + armor where the regular boys dont.

Karoz wrote: »
    I certainly enjoy all the buffs you can put on goblins, but it puts da Boyz in an odd spot.

While it's not totally a tier 1 goblins, tier 1.5 orcs, 2 big uns, savages, etc. having goblins with an impressive 75 armor is huge. Night goblins aren't even close which is weird but thinking of moving towards a more trollish front line with fanatic archers behind as I moved toward the mid-late game.

I don't really think so. The problem with 'da Boyz is that you've got

Da-Boys, Big-Uns, Black Orc's
    Boar Riders, Big Un Boar Riders

And it generally goes Da-Boys<Big-Uns<Black Orcs
    and Boar Riders < Big Un Boar riders
    And Big Un's < Big Un Boar Riders
    And of course Savage < Regular

The actual difference is

Shields, Anti-Large, AP
    Shields, Anti-Large

But the shield amount isn't that good and so it ends up being that the big-uns are just better and the cavalary is just better. Plus da-boys aren't even expendable so they don't work as well as a tank as gobbo's. In the end you're going to want night goblins as your primary tank(which remain hella cheap!) and black orcs or cavalary/big-uns as DPS anyway. So the lack of research keeping da-boys terribly relevant isn't a huge deal.

--

The other thing is, i think that you're maybe discounting the +20% weapon damage. Vs infantry, unless a spell goes off, you can count how many attacks it takes to kill an entity as a discrete function. +20% weapon damage takes da boys from 34 base damage to 40.8... Which against low armor targets can move you from 3 hits to kill to 2 hits to kill. In fact, vs Goblins it moves you from "maybe will kill in 2 hits" to "always kills in 2 hits". The extra +25 from scrap moves you from "maybe will kill in 2 hits" to "will almost always kill in 2 hits even through HP gating"

So while gobbo's get better research Orcs get MUCH better scrap upgrades. Gobbo's get +25 armor sure. Boy's and Big-Un's get +25% weapon damage. Black Orc's get +10 anti-infantry or +10 anti-large. That puts Big Un's, with +20% from tech, at 63+8 vs large. That is a huge amount of damage. Black Orc's are, obviously, even better.

Gobbo Archers are, however, much better than orc archers in basically all ways and so buffs that only work for gobbo archers don't even matter, especially once you get night-goblin archers and so can use them easily to flank.

wbBv3fj.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    On Grom, basic Goblin Spearmen and Goblin Archers are the best units you can get (with a later addition of a few extra trolls and lategame units towards the end of a campaign). There's an argument for a later upgrade to Night Goblins w/ Fanatics for your frontline, but it's very marginal. Regeneration and Harpy Arrows on top of 70 armour for the spears and 5 AP damage for the archers makes them essentially a t4 army, for the price of t1.

On the other lords, without access to the Cauldron buffs, and without Grom's extra gobbo buffs, there's a bit more competition from the Orcs.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    Eastern Ulthuan is a bit of an awkward spot on the vortex map. You get a fair number of early scraps with Sartosa/Orks/Norsca, but once they're gone there isn't really anything left to do there and geography makes it hard to actually get anywhere else. Northern Ulthuan is Alarielle's territory, southern Ulthuan belongs to Tyrion and the west is a coin toss between them. I do like Eltharion's missions strongly encouraging expeditions but, outside of the two provinces targetted, the rest of the area is uninhabitable.

Basically I've hit a point in my Eltharion campaign where the only course of action is "I guess I'll go kill some druchii then" while trying to confederate Alarielle before Tyrion can.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I have been playing Warhammer 2 more lately, and almost feel like I'm getting the hang of it (on normal difficulty, with various factions, and make no mistake I am still dogshit at figuring out the optimal build path for these campaigns...)

But I have come to a firm conclusion

And that is that the most important feature Three Kingdoms added was the rematch button on the end of battle screen

Christ almighty how did it take them so long to figure that out, it's almost faster for me to quit to windows and reopen the goddamn game

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    altid wrote: »
    Eastern Ulthuan is a bit of an awkward spot on the vortex map. You get a fair number of early scraps with Sartosa/Orks/Norsca, but once they're gone there isn't really anything left to do there and geography makes it hard to actually get anywhere else. Northern Ulthuan is Alarielle's territory, southern Ulthuan belongs to Tyrion and the west is a coin toss between them. I do like Eltharion's missions strongly encouraging expeditions but, outside of the two provinces targetted, the rest of the area is uninhabitable.

Basically I've hit a point in my Eltharion campaign where the only course of action is "I guess I'll go kill some druchii then" while trying to confederate Alarielle before Tyrion can.

I'm in about the same situation myself, except I've got Avelorn confederated. They probably should have made deserts green (or at least orange) for Eltharion, since Southlands is the most obvious next step for him.

Terrendos on
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I kinda feel like Grom deserves his own thread title! :mrgreen:

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Eltharion's campaign does feel a tad awkward, especially in the Vortex. Overall I'm enjoying it, but I do wish upgrading his batcave was a little more indepth (maybe add some choices to how you spec it?) and in the vortex I direly wish they had considered how he can expand without deciding to wage war on Alarielle and Tyrion. Feels weird that he can't expand down south into the deserts and mountains easily considering his whole gimmick of trying to take Greenskin settlements to weaken Grom. I'm enjoying the campaign but I also just hit the point where I guess I need to sail to Naggaroth to expand. Though it looks like Alith Anar is actually kicking Malekith's teeth in and Tretch has conquered a lot of the continent as well, so I'll have to see how that goes.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yeah I was finished upgrading the Batcave in like 30 turns (and finished the campaign in ~50). They need something to spend extra Warden's Supplies on.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.