As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SE++ Minecraft: We're Still Here!

• Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    I'll be on in 10 minutes!

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    Update: Maya and I took out the dragon and gathered some breath. We can go for it again in the future when more people want to gather, but now some additional development (like enderman grinder) can happen - stay tuned!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Sorry I havent been around much. I dont have much motivation to play when others arent around

Minecraft is very much a social game for me

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Going to attempt to migrate the server over now since no one is on atm, should be back up sometime this evening.

Aeyther on
  • Options
    Migration successful I believe, lemme know if anything is borked.

• Options
    I ended up wiping out the End City right next to the first end warp, placed half the loot in a free loot chest in Maya's tunnel next to the end portal. (Includes some armor, skulker shells, etc.)

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Aeyther, how easy/hard is it to adjust the borders? I ask because if it's easy and the borders were expanded 200 m out on all sides, that would let us get lilacs, blue orchids, and part of a flower biome into the world.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Aeyther, how easy/hard is it to adjust the borders? I ask because if it's easy and the borders were expanded 200 m out on all sides, that would let us get lilacs, blue orchids, and part of a flower biome into the world.

Pretty simple actually. If that's something everyone is ok with, I don't really mind either way.

• Options
    Could we throw in some dumb datapacks while we are at it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Ive been trying to make a nice lightweight minecraft pack with just like biomes o plenty and some other junk

And twitch does noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot want to do it?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Needed some gunpowder, and I didn't want to build the exact same gunpowder grinder I did on the last map, so I built one of those multi-purpose mob grinders instead, and it turned out pretty nice! It looks like this is probably the second one on the server, based only on peering from the sky on dynamap.

(Kinda hard to disguise what these things are, but at least it matches the stonebrick-and-acacia theme we've got going.)

2wnxe8x3pb5x.png
    4idltt6rrr8b.png

• Options
    KitharsisKitharsis Registered User regular
    My drowned farm in the sky turned out to be pretty lackluster. I might just dismantle it to save everyone from the eyesore. Your mob grinder looks a lot better than mine does!

• Options
    Oh that's got drowned zombies? That's pretty cool if so!

• Options
    KitharsisKitharsis Registered User regular
    Thanks! Yes that's the purpose. Its built in a river biome, which has much higher drowned zombie spawning rates than ocean. It just needs a rather large roof to reduce the light levels enough to work during the day. A turtle egg attracts the drowned into the kill chute in the center.

With a looting 3 sword you can get tridents, gold bars, nautilus shells and of course zombie flesh. It's just a little slower than I'd like.

• Options
    Well definitely don't dismantle it then, that sounds like something I might need - nautilus shells could come in handy if I ever get around to building one of those underwater beacon things.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So my friend just bought a server to run our modded minecraft stuff on and we are having a pretty big lag issue. We thought it was biomes o plenty but it might be ender io. Does anyone know why ender io would cause lag?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Does anyone have an up to date guide for refined storage? I keep trying to make the stuff I'm seeing on FTB but I can't craft them in game and then I'm seeing some stuff has been removed and something else has been added but I can't find any where that shows how to build it. I'm using the 1.6.16 version of refined storage.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Ender io is usually pretty lightweight in terms of server resources. Unfortunately Refined Storage is a more likely culprit. I've never had issues with it but more complex networks can have optimization issues. As far as usability goes I recommend going to the Refined Storage site for a list of blocks and their uses. Generally you just gotta smash quarts and iron together and use that for crafting most things. A LOT of quartz.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Ender io is usually pretty lightweight in terms of server resources. Unfortunately Refined Storage is a more likely culprit. I've never had issues with it but more complex networks can have optimization issues. As far as usability goes I recommend going to the Refined Storage site for a list of blocks and their uses. Generally you just gotta smash quarts and iron together and use that for crafting most things. A LOT of quartz.

Ender io was definitely the lag issue for us. As soon as we disabled it we haven't had any lag at all.

The refined storage site has been alright. It tells how to start stuff up which is nice but not how to build anything.

I tried using the FTB site to get the build instructions for the refined storage stuff but it says I need 4 quartz enriched iron, 3 silicon, a machine frame, and a diamond but it didn't work. Then saw something else about needing a processor instead and I need a solder to make a processor but the same page also said the processor had been removed and a cutting tool was added and I can't find anything on how to make a cutting tool.

• Options
    I added the JEI mod so I can actually see how things are made and it has helped immensely. I got a computer running with 17k storage, two wind generators on top of a mountain for power and I've got my passion project of thaumcraft going smoothly.

I'm basically taking care of the tech stuff right now while another person is handling food and tinkers construct. Everyone else is mining and trying to figure out what they want to do since it is their first time playing on a modded server.

• Options
    @Aeyther I think I'm stuck... I had broken my bed in New Overworld, and I can't exit New End (it says my home bed is obstructed, but instead of porting me to spawn in New Overworld, it just respawns me in the End again).

• Options
    edited May 2020
    @Vrtra Theory I'll take a look.

Think I fixed it, lemme know if it's still broken, I'll keep an eye on dynmap.

Aeyther on
  • Options
    Aeyther wrote: »
    @Vrtra Theory I'll take a look.

Think I fixed it, lemme know if it's still broken, I'll keep an eye on dynmap.

Thanks, it worked!

• Options
    Thaumcraft is a lot more interesting than it was the last time I played. I'm getting pretty far with it though the flux is definitely slowing me down.

I've been having an issue with lag. I'll have long periods of time playing without lag and then suddenly I'm in lag city. Is there some kind of lag issue related to play time?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Popped on this am! Thanks everyone who left presents in the grinders. :D

• Options
    Just saw latest snapshot and now you can make a farm that can only spawn wither skeletons, using wither roses.... pretty cool and a nice use for wither roses.

• Options
    The latest enderman farm is now up and running, with some brand new tweaks!

nz3inj40b2zb.jpg

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    So you did the melon farm version? Sweet. Next time I can get access to my computer I'll have to go visit it.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Does anyone know of a good guide or video on how to get a digital miner to work? I've been struggling with mine.

• Options
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    So you did the melon farm version? Sweet. Next time I can get access to my computer I'll have to go visit it.

Yep! Or at least, I thought I'd do the drop chute - for now I'm just using a classic spawning pad (and in fact I need to dig up some more endstone and make the pad a bit bigger I think). There's always time later to install those "melon hallways" the guy had in his video, but imo the melons are just a small bonus.

• Options
    Yeah, once you can plant melon seeds the only difference is time and volume. I like our small melon farm cuz you just clear it when you feel like. Most times you don't need a chest full of melons.

I need to look at the latest update to see what else they put in.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good guide or video on how to get a digital miner to work? I've been struggling with mine.

Giantwaffle has a current modded run dealing with a digital miner but I don't know which vod is in.

Klaus builds one and goes over it a bit. Skip to 24:20 if the link doesn't start there. Hope it's enough to help you figure it out.
    https://youtu.be/Uk9LbCojPNQ

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

Giantwaffle has a current modded run dealing with a digital miner but I don't know which vod is in.

Klaus builds one and goes over it a bit. Skip to 24:20 if the link doesn't start there. Hope it's enough to help you figure it out.
    https://youtu.be/Uk9LbCojPNQ

It was definitely enough, thank you!

We now have more ore than we really know what to do with, especially with tripling everything. Gonna start working on quadrupling through mekanism.

I've also made a lot of progress in thaumcraft, still so much to do.

• Options
    Well woith 1.16 coming out next tuesday its time to discuss rebooting the server

Would people be interesting on a pregenned map that uses all vanilla assets? That way we get a interesting overworld to go with the interesting new nether.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    If you missed the Discord conversation, Bluedude is talking about generating a map with a mod like Terraforged, with huge, more realistic vistas:
    https://youtu.be/vRj0cs5W3hQ

This would be just for creating the world, you don't need mods to play or anything. And the Nether will be normal (but with all the new features this update brings).

Personally, I support this idea as I want to see what kind of builds we create, but I'd also be fine with a vanilla world. I guess I do have one concern about this fancy map: These tall mountains... do they stretch all the way to the height limit? I don't see the point of such tall peaks if we can't build stuff on top of them.

• Options
    Nah they are tall but its like 125 height

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    That does look pretty. I fear that what will happen is people will spread out even farther to have their own pretty view/find a biome they like since distance is exaggerated though.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    That is a good point. Vanilla generation has very small features, which make it easier to section it off into private areas. On the bigger terraforged mountains you might have to share a ridge (although said ridge will probably be big enough to accommodate you comfortably).

The website I linked has an example 4000×4000 square map, which is about the size our server maps tend to be. It's got all the biomes and everything. I'd want a little more green and a little less ocean, but that's doable with all the custom sliders.

Another question would be: who would be the one to create this world? Bluedude?

• Options
    I assume @Aeyther