As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFBE War of the Visions] Tactics + Gacha = Profit?

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Has anyone gotten Miranda? Was wondering how she plays.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    MaijinamuroMaijinamuro Registered User regular
    I have her but haven't used her. Too many units that I am already trying to make useful.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I have her but haven't used her. Too many units that I am already trying to make useful.

Yeah, as much as I'd like to get new units, I thinking of spending to get those special upgrade chests that have a rainbow shard and stone, to get a couple units another awakening.

Edit: Oof, didn't realize it was paid Visiore, not gonna do that!

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I've put way more Visiore than I want to into getting her, with no luck. I don't even want to use her (the Rainbow fragment bottleneck is real), I just want her so I can check out her character model and animations in the formation screen.

Edit: Apparently her auto AI is super broken. She straight up will NOT cast buffs on auto.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Sounds like the opposite of Helena Leonis. Mine only casts buffs and never tries combat magic.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Yeah the "AI" in this game is straight out of a RvB bit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You know what, I think I'm done with this game. I love the aesthetic and the appeal to FFT fans, but the game just... isn't very good.

I like FFT for the gameplay and the slow burn AFK action here just doesn't work for me.

Someone on reddit posted a thread about how getting a new unit doesn't feel good because of all the bottlenecks, and I think that's exactly it. You can't afford to build a varied and diverse team, and even if you're a whale it's gonna take ages of auto-farming.

Like, even if I get Miranda now, she's gonna be stuck at level 50 or 60 forever while I get 2 shards a day from her character quest? That sucks.

• Options
    The slow burn is definitely jarring. I hope that they'll make rainbow shards/orbs more frequent in the somewhat near future, because the bottle neck there seems really too tight. Like right now, I have 3 characters (Ramza, Gaffgarion, and Yerma) that are all just waiting for the rainbows to awaken further, and it is kinda frustrating.

For games like this, it is a rather fine line to walk between (for me at least) the feeling of accomplishment of working awhile to build up a character vs. the gratification that a maxed out character gives.

It was nice change of pace that I actually had to work on getting all the missions for that hard difficulty level to get that shard (couldn't just afk through it!)

I'm still playing, but I am finding myself drawn to other games more and more.

• Options
    Yeah, same feeling. I pulled an Ayaka today and all I could think is "Great another unit I won't be able to level."

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    WoTV is perfect whale bait. Units take forever to level...unless you spend. New, enticing, more powerful units come out faster than you can level them...unless you spend. Even auto-farming can be sped up...if you spend. Not to mention banners that can only be pulled on with paid currency.

It's currently a pretty predatory formula that either pushes you to spend, play casually, or quit. Add to that a big focus in PvP and you've got one big perfect storm aimed at people with addictive personalities.

Maybe it'll get better in the future? I know in FFBE it got easier to level/enhance/whatever your units, but I also don't remember it ever being as ridiculous as WoTV is.

Cruor on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The game removed me from position as Leader because quite frankly I've been ignoring this game in favor of Animal Crossing. @chrono_traveller is your lord and master now, apparently.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    The game removed me from position as Leader because quite frankly I've been ignoring this game in favor of Animal Crossing. chrono_traveller is your lord and master now, apparently.

I was gonna ask if you wanted it back. ;)

Been thinking about going to a guild thats big enough to do guild battles, not that I want to abandon you guys, but honestly there doesn't seem to be much interest here (and like I've said before, I dunno how long I'll be playing either).

Anyone want to be the dear leader?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    The game removed me from position as Leader because quite frankly I've been ignoring this game in favor of Animal Crossing. chrono_traveller is your lord and master now, apparently.

I was gonna ask if you wanted it back. ;)

Been thinking about going to a guild thats big enough to do guild battles, not that I want to abandon you guys, but honestly there doesn't seem to be much interest here (and like I've said before, I dunno how long I'll be playing either).

Anyone want to be the dear leader?

I mean, I'll take it back if you aren't interested.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    What I wouldn't give to see the player retention statistics month over month for this game...

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    What I wouldn't give to see the player retention statistics month over month for this game...

Oh that'll never happen. If it's anything like FFBE, then they'll eventually hold a "Comeback campaign!" where rewards will be handed out based on the number of returning players. These campaigns have never failed to reach the highest goal, and that's suspect.

Gumi won't ever report accurate numbers of players. With bot accounts (are they as rampant in WoTV as in FFBE?) I doubt they could.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    They finally got me with the FFT re-release campaign, I signed up last week. I spent the *entire* campaign until this afternoon pulling for Agrias. I both love and hate this game. Now that I finally have her, I'm going to pull back a bit and level up my FFT crew casually, and pretend we actually got a sequel.

That said, her shard quest says it's not unlocked. Is that something that comes up if I finish Story Mode?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Hey me too! Ended up getting her after 20 10x pulls on her banner. Almost had me spending real money for no reason!

• Options
    I essentially auto battle everything though. The touch screen controls are awful for me.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hey me too! Ended up getting her after 20 10x pulls on her banner. Almost had me spending real money for no reason!

Big same on everything. It's almost a game I love, except it was smothered to death by a game I hate.

The touchscreen movement especially is super unpleasant

Now I just have to grind out her shards and stuff while the event is still happening. I am not sure why I am doing this

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Big same on everything. It's almost a game I love, except it was smothered to death by a game I hate.

The touchscreen movement especially is super unpleasant

Now I just have to grind out her shards and stuff while the event is still happening. I am not sure why I am doing this

God I know. I guess it's just a numbers thing for me. But ultimately I just simply don't enjoy myself while playing

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Any of you still playing I caved a week ago after avoiding this game because Gumi made it.

I think I’m enjoying it.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Yes, actually! I've largely dropped FFBE and Dragalia to focus on this (playing and providing some community resources).

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    I'm a little bit lost on progress, this game is a fair bit of work.

I got Niv'Lu to lvl 75 to complete her challenge board, went through the current 9-step summon and got enough shards to MLB Rain, as well as LB1 Ayaka, Lasswell, and Sakura. I need to grind on the story so I can get all the hard quests unlocked to farm shards.

My effort for the next couple weeks will be working on Sakura, after that probably save up until anniversary.

Are Fragments of Thought and Awakening Prisms going to be a bottleneck for awhile?

• Options
    So, ALL units require elemental fragments and awakening prisms. You do get drops of them from missions, events, and occasional developer update gifts. As a new player you should be getting a fair amount more of the elemental drops from story achievements, but I'd caution you that you probably won't have enough to work on four URs at once. The UR units/VCs in particular require rainbow vision spheres and fragments of thought. Those are rare, and keep progression steady (unless you're out of them, in which case they are the work of the devil).

It used to be (well, still is) that every unit required some rainbow fragments to max. However, this week introduced lower-tier fragments which can be substituted (on MR and lower units) for the rainbow ones. The supply isn't there yet, so for now you need to be cautious about who you awaken. If you have Rain MLB'd, the trio of Rain, Sakura, and Ayaka as a healer (or time mage sub with Comet) is a good core trio. You should also be working on the challenge board missions for Mediena, though; she is the original farmer par excellence and will get you into lots of multi-farming events.

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    I’ve got Niv at LB4, Sakura is LB3 and max awakened, haven’t started Ayaka but have 80 shards. I also finished the Mediena challenge boards today and got Xiza with the ticket, so I’m currently farming Mediena, Ayaka, and Xiza until I unlock more stages and can farm KoR Stearne and Niv.

I’m trying now to figure out how I break into hard missions to farm gear.

• Options
    Niv and Sakura are very relevant to the current stages. If you're looking to farm Sakura's staff (a worthwhile endeavor), I would suggest to you that you *don't* need to farm the brutal difficulty.

Brutal has a very high recipe drop rate, but you need far more materials than recipes. I would focus on high, or host a brutal room with your Niv/Sakura and three Kains, for the missions. Remember that being a multi member is free, and doubles the drops.

• Options
    I tried to do the high difficulty stage and wasn’t close to finishing it. I haven’t had time the last few days to try and follow someone from a discord around for multi but I may try that this week.

If I’m unable to do any farming myself is buying a +3 in the shop ever worth it?

• Options
    I'd say a very qualified maaaaybe if its suited for a character you like, and that its a limited time farmable weapon, thats highly rated (Like if you have a lightning or light mage, the Prunus Lamina might be worth it). But you still have 9 days, and if you do have the time, even just riding the coattails of a group that has two decent aoe (I was doing it with myself an Ildyra and a rando with that halloween girl that I forget her name). And even if you can do that for a little while, you should be able to farm up the 15(?) recipes you need for a +3 weapon, without a lot of time investment.

• Options
    Sometimes the +3 packages are traps. What you should think of it as is getting almost a quarter of the materials for a +5.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    pulled on the new VC 5-step in a moment of weakness, also I thought overall it would be good for my account if I stick with it.

during the free pulls and that 5-step I've ended up with MR Chocobo VC, which looks good, Macherie, Viktora, Engelbert, Glaciela, and Ildyra.

I wish there was a faster way to build up Espers but I don't think my account can manage the Esper quests yet.

I will be adding Ildyra to my list of characters to farm Hard Quests for in between leeching Hard runs on the Prunus quest in Multi. They've thrown a bunch of stuff at us that I don't think I could get through since I can't manage Brutal or solo any of it.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Your farm team (Ildyra/Mediena/Sakura) is set.

The Chocobo VC and Black Rose VCs actually have the same key party buff (AGI up), but have different focuses (Chocobo is balanced, I think, Black Rose is MAG-heavy).

Esper resonance only gets built up by doing missions. Don't worry about their levels so much (yet), the key point is setting espers to preferred units and just really farming quick missions on repeat (like False Accusations and Good Idea). Your units only get 10% of the esper's stats per resonance level.

If you can, you may want to start working on the Porcelain Tower quests as well. You may not be able to clear it, but at the very least you can get some bonus items.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I’m working on tower to get Rain’s weapon and whatever else I can get. Not making it very far, but I’ll get what I can.

So much of this game is a slow build if you aren’t dropping money. Saving up so I can buy Xiza shards when the hit the shop in a few days.

I’ve leeched my way to 31 Prunus recipes so far.

EDIT: BTW, a +5 takes ~1625 of the awakening books, right? Will I be better off to build a +3 or whatever I can while I farm the awakening mats?

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Managed to farm enough recipes for a +5 Prunus, and made a +3 to use in the meantime. As I farm out the other materials for it I'll make that. Moved on to farming a Mage Masher, and then I'll work on a Platinum Mace and if there is time I'll go for some Coral Sword recipes too.

Also got the shards to max the Black Rose VC and shards for LB4 Sakura.

Since I'm out of vis currently, I'm going to stop buying from the shop on anyone but Xiza. I'll slow farm the last 200 to save since there isn't a high impact TMR to be had there.

• Options
    Feldorn wrote: »
    I’m working on tower to get Rain’s weapon and whatever else I can get. Not making it very far, but I’ll get what I can.

So much of this game is a slow build if you aren’t dropping money. Saving up so I can buy Xiza shards when the hit the shop in a few days.

I’ve leeched my way to 31 Prunus recipes so far.

EDIT: BTW, a +5 takes ~1625 of the awakening books, right? Will I be better off to build a +3 or whatever I can while I farm the awakening mats?

Sorry, didn't see this post (been in the process of moving), but yeah, +3 is still worth making and using, you can just use it as fodder for the +4/5 when you get the additional mats. Thats what I have done because my staff books are scarce supply, and haven't had the chance to heavily farm them (stupid moving ;) ).

• Options
    edited February 2021
    For farming, who are some good thief or assassin characters I can build with fairly low investment for Mug and Pillaging Blade?

Besides Mia and Vinera.

After more research I see Mug is a 6* skill, so that won’t happen for awhile

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Ramada can Mug earlier, I believe.

• Options
    Looks like 5* for Ramada, you're right.

I think I'll still wait since I want to awaken Ildyra first.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    true to form for Gumi, the amount of farm required in this game is "too damn high!", I wouldn't be able to keep it going w/o an emulator.

anyways, got enough recipes for a +5 Mage Masher to build some day and I'm moving on to other things, though I might still farm the event to get the rest of the awakening materials, I think I need another 20k tokens.

I think I understand gear a bit now, so I'm working on some SR pieces as I also need the Faint Memory and stuff from those stages as well. Does the Secret Book quest rotate every 1 week or 2?

EDIT: after going through the equipment calculator a bit, https://wotv-tools.github.io/, it looks like there are a few areas where the SR doesn't seem to make sense, such as why invest in a Circlet over a Wizard's Hat if my ultimate goal is Sage's Hat anyways. So I'll play around with it, hopefully the improved gear will help my team get a bit stronger.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    For equipment, I usually just aim for getting enough recipes for what I have time for during that event (whether it is +3, 4, or 5 depends on how easily my team can farm it), and then waiting around till the next event (or events) where the materials are farmable to finish off the recipe. Thats where I'm at with Sakura's staff. Got the recipes for +5, but don't have near enough staff books to create it yet, so I'm stuck with a +3 version for now.

• Options
    Mugging is truly not important. It may seem that way (because of how vital it is to get rare things in Tactics), but it only matters for the gil snapper map. Moreover, it requires a high investment to be significantly worthwhile.

As far as equipment goes, not all weapons require +5. You will of course want to get there, but even a +2 or +3 is reasonable in many cases (until recently, I had been using +2 and +3 for certain equipment pieces for months without feeling like I was missing out). The most important thing to do right away is purchase the N-quality gear of all types, max that (it requires no books), and use that on your characters to increase their affinities.