As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I personally applied for 240 employees in the NZ system, shit was super simple and we got the money through to the men in like a week and half

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    NSW is in the process of sending kids back to school because schools are safe and young people are not at risk.

Meanwhile, Waverley College closes due to a positive test today, and the same a St Ignatius College yesterday

The education minister says it’s going well, when this is what caused parents to pull their kids from school 2 months ago.

Edit - and a third school closed, the second just today, Moriah College.

-Loki- on
    NSW continues to just fuck it up as bad as possible huh.

steam_sig.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    As a somewhat lapsed tennis fanatic, I've gotten sucked into a twitter rabbit hole that's trying to find out why Alan Jones seems to have gotten retirement well-wishes from Roger Federer and Usain Bolt, of all people.

My personal theory is that his producer just straight out asked their publicists, no nefarious dealings necessary - often a simple "hey [some old guy you've never heard of] is a big fan and is retiring and would love it if you gave him a send-off he could play on his show" will get results from celebrities who are so inclined. But if for some baffling reason anyone wants to know more, Ketan Joshi (reporter, mostly on climate topics) did some legwork:

https://ketanjoshi.co/2020/05/27/did-roger-federer-just-discover-how-tolerant-australian-media-is-of-racism-and-sexism/

Gee who would have seen that coming. In the meantime, the $700 million the government STOLE from the public will have do e so much harm. So many vulnerable people will have gone without.

steam_sig.png
    By my calculations, that means over EIGHTY PERCENT of robodebt notices were unlawful. This is a national scandal, but the LNP will just ride it out on a wave of positivity from the states handling of covid that they don't even remotely deserve

steam_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

Gee who would have seen that coming. In the meantime, the $700 million the government STOLE from the public will have do e so much harm. So many vulnerable people will have gone without.

So many people fucking died.

I've seen claims of around 2,000 suicides.

steam_sig.png
    But hey, as always: it wasn't about the money.

The cruelty was the point.

steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

So many people fucking died.

To the LNP, they’re the poor, not people. I doubt any of them care.

steam_sig.png
    Spoilers: here comes Austerity. Uh.. Moreso.

steam_sig.png
    “Hey guys so I know it’s not a nail but I have this hammer...”

Looking forward to the deficit hole from loss of tourism, business, and foreign students being filled by ... (checks notes) middle class tax cuts and subsidies for coal and gas corps.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    This building grants program announcement is the same shit again and I'm getting really tired of the zero scrutiny reporting that goes along with this shit.

The government announces a thought bubble with a big number attached and the media jumps at the chance to praise Scotty and his big number then completely ignore that the money never actually gets spent. NDIS, Women's sport, Drought Relief, Fire Rebuilding, Jobkeeper etc, etc. This lot have got an amazing amount of positive press from 500mil that they have just recycled constantly and never actually spent.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2020

Given the very last minute action to stop it, it's probably got something to do with not wanting the crowd to bring up the fact that a NSW officer smashed an indigenous Australian kids teeth out against the pavement the other day.

-Loki- on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I hope so. I was kinda disappointed in the NZ BLM protests, they just seemed like a "me too" protest like the anti-Trump ones held after the 2016 election. Protesters either making our police look good ("at least we're not America!") or only criticising them in the abstract. If there's one thing that the US protests have shown, its that having a specific instance to rally around can be incredibly effective. Hopefully this whole thing puts the ART squads to bed, though I doubt we're ever going to undo the 2012 arming of police officers.

Gvzbgul on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I think it's because our issue is less direct police violence than underlying racial bias, which is harder to pick out, except statistically when you look at arrests and incarceration.

I don't percieve there to be this underlying current of thuggery to our policing (although I admit I'm maybe not listening to the right people), just shitty systemic racism which runs all the way through courts, justice, and corrections.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    “Hey guys so I know it’s not a nail but I have this hammer...”

Looking forward to the deficit hole from loss of tourism, business, and foreign students being filled by ... (checks notes) middle class tax cuts and subsidies for coal and gas corps.

Now now, this not nail thing is definately not a nail. But it is very big. We will need to use the most serious of hammers. Tax cuts for the wealthy!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I think it's because our issue is less direct police violence than underlying racial bias, which is harder to pick out, except statistically when you look at arrests and incarceration.

I don't percieve there to be this underlying current of thuggery to our policing (although I admit I'm maybe not listening to the right people), just shitty systemic racism which runs all the way through courts, justice, and corrections.

This is very accurate, imo. I only have anecdotes for this, working with a lot of pasifika people, but it follows what I've been told / what I've seen.

A couple of white kids get in a punch up on a Saturday night. At the very worst, they spend the night in the drunk tank and get sent home in the morning. A couple of Samoan guys have a fight, they are for sure getting charged.

I think you also just need to look at things like a lack of rental property standards (only now starting to get somewhere), the Auckland fuel tax and you start to see a lack of care and empathy for the underclass/working class

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited June 2020
    You can also look at the police's treatment of the mentally ill, something like a quarter of fatal police shootings in NZ are a result of callouts for someone attempting suicide. Since the NZ police were armed in 2011, suicide by cop has become more common. Like the guy who called the cops on himself during lockdown, then started smashing windows and threatening to kill people, he was shot and killed by police. And looking at people shot by police on callouts that aren't directly related to mental health, those people aren't all there in the head either, like the guy who pointed a toy gun at the police after threatening a teacher, he was shot, but survived and said that "he wanted to die". Most police shootings are like police car chases, they don't need to happen, they make a situation worse, and they're dangerous to everyone in the area.

Gvzbgul on
    Aus protests went well. The NSW protest was ruled lawful at the last minute, and Vic police withdrew threats to fine every protestor for violating covid rules.

NSW police did pepper spray some protestors in the train station after the protest. No reason has been provided yet.

steam_sig.png
    steam_sig.png
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    you would think with current world events being what they are that NSW police would just keep their heads down.
    but nope, while the spotlight is firmly on the police as a whole they just can't help themselves.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The government arguing that we shouldn't import politics from the US would be easier to accept if a whole heap of them hadn't promoted and then attended/spoke at the CPAC rally.

The government arguing against protests because of health reasons would be easier to accept if they weren't silent/arguing in favour of conspiracy theory protests.

The government criticism of public gatherings would be easier to accept if it weren't on the same day they announced re-opening rugby games to spectators.

The government minister criticism of BLM protests would be easier to accept if it weren't coming from ministers who voted in favour of One Nation "It's ok to be white" motions or those who walked out of the apology to the stolen generation.

-SPI- on
    Tony Abbot AND Bronwyn Bishop huh

there should be a rule that before the queen signs off on the honours noms she has to spend several hours in the exclusive company of each of the contenders. I think it would radically thin the ranks.

Also they gave one to the owner of hello world, Morrison's mate who gets a whole bunch of contracts

steam_sig.png
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    In topical news, it appears that the Police Commissioner has announced that the Police Armed response team deployment here in NZ will not be occurring, after the trial that ended in April. Apparently, though feedback and evaluation of the trial is still being gone through, it does not fit with our cultural expectations of our police force. (Damn right).
    Article on the decision

I would still like to see answers to such questions as "Why was this trial not terminated early, since record keeping of the trial was so incredibly poor?"

Previous article on the weird gaps in reporting for 2 months, from 4 days ago.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i'm so glad to hear that it will not be continued. that is quite a relief

Poor record keeping is normal for nz police. Paperwork is not their strong suit.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    i'm so glad to hear that it will not be continued. that is quite a relief

I'm also happy that it's not going to be continued. However, I'm also simultaneously pissed that the 'trial' was so poorly run that I'm not sure what information comes out of it, other than, apparently, requiring Police Officers to do paperwork, in exchange for carrying weapons will not work - because they'll apparently just skip the paperwork, and from what I can see, suffer no consequences whatsoever for doing so.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • LokarnLokarn Registered User regular
    Police Commissioner in SA announces that Adelaide Oval will be open to 2000 spectators in the same speech denying permission for a second Black Lives Matter protest.
    Made a big show about the protest being just about US police.
    Also relevant, Adelaide hasn't had a new case of Covid in weeks so using that as the reason not to allow people to gather now is telling.

I can’t even be snarky about that, it’s just exhausting.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    And in 'people who don't understand anything about the internet create laws to police the internet' news... https://www.rnz.co.nz/programmes/the-detail/story/2018749876/nz-s-new-internet-laws-sensible-censorship
    The new legislation has four main parts.

Firstly, it empowers the chief censor to issue "interim" bans on content. If they spot something online which they deem objectionable, they can immediately move to make viewing or re-publishing that video illegal.
    It also allows the department of internal affairs to create internet filters for objectionable content, meaning internet service providers have to block any website which hosts that material.
    Live-streaming objectionable content would become an offence, which it currently isn’t.
    And lastly, it introduces the ability to issue takedown notices, which means certain government agencies can command websites to remove objectionable content, under penalty of heavy fines.
    This stuff is never a good idea. They cite the circulation of the video posted by the mosque shooter as justifying these powers, but how would that even work? Unless you are going to block all of facebook/twitter/AWS/whatever CDN's are being used to host stuff (and even then!), trying to block a video on the internet is impossible.

Ugh. As an employee of the state government I best steer clear of that blm ruling since I'm not allowed to comment online.

I can be mad about this though!

Less than six months after lives were saved by their coverage of the fires.

Morrison is using his unearned Covid goodwill to ram through everything on his wish list.

steam_sig.png
    By his wish list, I mean the IPA wish list.

steam_sig.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    It sort of reads like this is the reduction or "reduction"/denial of increase in the ABC budget to match the general public service pay rise freeze that the federal government enacted due to COVID.
    And that the ABC execs are now squeezed between that budget limit and not being able to deny pay rises due to their Enterprise Agreement.
    As opposed to the rest of the public service where the emergency pay freeze proclamation usurps all workplace law, because Public Service Act.

Anyway.
    Just seems like this is part of that attack on the public service as a whole, or that economic mismanagement of the APS as a whole, rather than anything personal towards the ABC.

... Beyond the whole ABC saying we can make our own EAs without APS approval.
    And so don't need to make determinations rather than strip conditions from our workers to satisfy the APSC.
    But that's been personal towards this government's policy for years.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ... with that last paragraph agreeing entirely with plufim.
    The ABC only had to poke the government in the eye over staff salaries because the commissioner of the APSC at the time was using APS resources to coordinate with the IPA and then resigned before he could be taken down by an APS Code of Conduct breach for that behaviour.

So yeah, IPA wishlists isn't being superlative :(

This discussion has been closed.