As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Zenethial prime for life!

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    J wrote: »
    Otherwise known as the "Why not both?" option~

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020

It really is the only answer. You can even do it with rattlecans.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Finished the last pigs of my 12 pig Glutton slab! Now to move on to bigger and meatier ham hocks!
    warpigs05.jpg
    warpigs06.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    These are really so good.

Picnic cloth banner?

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I tried my hand at NMM!

m5mxfu6qs4gr.png

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Tried my hand at painting the Eye of Horus on a CSM tonight.

vjy6N7Ml.jpg

JEAkmo3l.jpg

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Some of you may remember from previous painting threads I paint Space Marines as Transformers.
    Well I now have an entire company sized amount of Autobots.
    I've done almost the entire original cartoon line (couple exceptions) plus based on some early 90's toys. ive occasionally posted models in here as I finish them but now here's the entire force (all descriptions go front to back)
    exvtps6h3xds.jpg

Here we have Dinobots, Protectorbots, Technobots, Then an assault squad made up of the Aerial bots and various other fliers. The Lost Light (the landspeeder), and some of the bigger bots as a second squad of terminators, (I.e. Fortress Maximus, Thunderclash, Roadbuster) the bikes are Blurr, Jazz, Sunstreaker, Arcee, Nautica and Wreck-Gar.
    lsdihzjpsuv4.jpg

Here we have Company Commander Optimus Prime, Chief Librarian Alpha Trion, a command squad (Ratchet, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Sideswipe, Ultra Magnus), Team Rodimus aka bots from More Than Meets The Eye comic, then the 1984 bots, then the 1985 bots and a Metroplex standing tall at the back. (a Knight slightly converted with the red head antenna things Metroplex has. Metroplex also uses some epic space marines on his base to give a better sense of scale)
    gd1bm1ls50um.jpg

right side is all bots from the G1 toys where they started to do gimmicks. so we have a devastator squad made of the Wreckers at the front, then a squad of Hellblasters (Target/Headmasters), then 2 squads of intercessors (one micro-master one action-master) a Deathwatch squad at the back (made of some micromasters, Kup, Blaster and Perceptor) at the back we have 3 Aggressors being made Pretenders, (Robots disguised as other robots) and finally the Throttlebots on the bikes.
    74816woprjkk.jpg

This took me like 4 years to do =, and im not even finished. I still have 20 odd female autobots to do, plus other various random bots (Rung and Whirl being notable absences). Plus im tempted by the idea of some squads of generic autobots, and possibly some Junkions which'll be using ork vehicles. Oh and don't forget some more Dreadnoughts painted up as the combiners (Superion, Defensor, Computron etc)
    If I ever get them done i'll probably have 150ish Autobot Marines.
    I'm happy I noticed a difference in the paint skill from some of the earlier ones.

and yes I have a nearly equal sized amount of Decepticons painted up although they do completely lack any vehicles.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I've been painting a random assortment of ogors lately, conveniently just enough to bump most of my old WHFB squads up to sizes more appropriate for the new age of sigmar rules, giving me enough to run a 12 glutton block and a 12 irongut block if I feel like it, basically finishing up my ogor army collection until any new kits get added to the range. I got the full lot out to see how it all looks, almost 4500 points of mawtribes:

ro5sgystmtth.jpg

I've also been doing the last little bits for doing full warcry games, some wooden bridges and platforms and such, plus the various wandering monsters that can show up in games to make a mess of things!

8y7dfvymsbgy.jpg
    fx0hchyren3a.jpg

Now I just have 10 Daemonettes, 10 Seekers, and 3 Fiends to do and I'll be done with my Slaanesh collection too (which will also leave me with no models left in the plastic stockpile to boot.)

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Oh good, thing get~
    Unfortunately this weekend is our 5-year anniversary and it's not likely I'll be painting much, but I thought people might find a size comparison interesting between the DIY wet palate I've been using for years, and the Redgrass one. Mind that the DIY one looks groady as fuck because I let it blah and dry up, though beneficially, I expect that won't happen with the new one. :P
    phetbkxalcix.jpg

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I'd never heard of redgrass palettes. Checked out the website and they look goooood

Might have to grab one

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    I've used it for over a year now and they are nice, but make sure to cover it back up when you're done and make the seals is set properly so it doesn't dry out when you're not using it.

Also every so often check the corners and edges along the bottom of where the sponge sets and wipe it out. It can get nasty in there if paint gets in.

• Options
    Took a break from 40k and painted one the new Chaos Warriors models for AoS. I love slaves to darkness are good.

9onGFyHl.jpg
    Ss7nkvgl.jpg
    5rKBic2l.jpg
    6JHFn5Al.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    In other news I painted my Chaos Lord on Krakadrak in keeping with my armies overall Tzeentch theme.

Krakadrak Chaos Lord
    qqBgzhch.jpg
    YXMRCVdh.jpg
    X2TkhxVh.jpg
    WmeErOph.jpg

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I've been working on a dark metal look for my Necrons and testing on some old busted Warriors. I just dry brushed them all with necron compound and I think it brightened them up too much. I might try doing a black wash again or maybe a darker silver for a dry brush. Not sure. I think I went too heavy by accident with the necron compound dry brush. There wasn't really anything coming off on the paper towel I was using to remove paint so I thought I was good to go.

Gun metal grey from vallejo.
    tx7w90wta16j.jpg

Burnt iron from vallejo.
    nlpo9uw6rz5q.jpg

Leadbelcher from GW.
    dysba7bek623.jpg

Black metal from scale 75.
    klln8g26e8o6.jpg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Have you washed them? I get really great details and a nice metal with leadbelcher+nuln oil. The burnt iron+nuln oil make make a really nice necron color base.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Have you washed them? I get really great details and a nice metal with leadbelcher+nuln oil. The burnt iron+nuln oil make make a really nice necron color base.

Yea, I did the 4 different base colors, black wash, and then dry brushed.

I did another wash so I'm just waiting for those to dry to see how it looks.

The first wash I did was with a homemade black wash that I really can't tell if it works well or not. The second wash I did was a mix of black ink, flow improver, and airbrush thinner, this is how that wash turned out.

I do have some gloss nuln oil which should be fine to try, just no regular nuln oil.

Gun metal
    dbdw3rvq9jve.jpg

Burnt iron
    382czqgoawve.jpg

Leadbelcher
    1nktu8n0naq9.jpg

Black metal
    67kzmk3pqrrb.jpg

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    They all look the same, the black metal one is a bit bluer.

It looks like you are taking photos using the camera flash?

J on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    +1 for leadblecher and nuln oil

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I am, don't really have a setup for taking pictures. I really need to find a budget one that I can make.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    +1 for leadblecher and nuln oil

Leadbelcher is too bright for what I want. I want a darker metal for my Necrons.

I think I'm gonna end up going with black metal.

Stragint on

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Stragint wrote: »

I am, don't really have a setup for taking pictures. I really need to find a budget one that I can make.

Taking photos outside is usually totally adequate

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

Taking photos outside is usually totally adequate

I will give that a try. Not too enthused to be spending money on a photo setup yet.

I'm feeling kind of anxious with painting my Necrons. I haven't even committed to anything and those Necron warriors are broken ones I'm testing on and I still feel so anxious.

I'm gonna start over entirely with some other broken warriors. I feel like the dry brush was too heavy by accident and that doing a wash over that silver dry brush wont give me what I'm looking for as far as trying to get a black metallic look.

Would black ink over a metallic paint work for a dark metal? I could do a base cost of black metal and then hit that with black ink from an airbrush or is that basically just doing a shade wash?

Stragint on

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Space wolves Second Squad was this weeks paint project.

A couple of these models are straight up rescues from a buddy of mine. No idea what he primed them with, so don't mind some of the bitty crap on a couple of them.

Carousel video here.

t7nc4j160w8v.jpg
    zkbw5w6mn47z.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    I've painted all my 40k Ultras, so I guess it's just the backlog of their 30k counterparts now. Finished a tactical squad:

UiJxSb2.jpg

And some Fulmentarus Terminators. Years ago they were going to be Tyrant Siege Terminators, but right after I collected the bits they put out official models. So I expect official models for these within the year!

b2scGDP.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know I am building a Horus Heresy era imperial fist proto black templars just it's a debate about how much I will do as black templars I know the cataphractii will be but I really should get a commander for it

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just ordered my color Hero Forge Mini. I'm very excited to see how it turns out. After seeing a few versions of other folks I'll probably end up doing a black wash on it. I'll post pictures though!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Finally finished this thing. Now I guess it's back to batch painting boners

@Dr_Keenbean did the base, which is why that part doesn't suck
    w2ld7jnz1ssq.png

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    Tried taking pictures outside of the Necron test schemes and it did not come out well at all. Maybe too bright? Is there a certain time of day where this works best?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

@Dr_Keenbean did the base

That base was rad. I should have kept it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Also, spraying black ink over the model doesn't seem to have had the desired effect.

I did a few models with just black metal. One with two layers of gloss nuln oil, two with black ink, and one with black templar.

• Options
    Spraying inks and washes turns those more into glazes. Doesn't work for shading.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Spraying inks and washes turns those more into glazes. Doesn't work for shading.

Yea, it is a bummer. I'm gonna strip the paint off these test models and try something else. Though I might just go with black metal from scale 75 and 2 coats of gloss nuln oil to darken everything.

I want to add some color to the armor plates and was thinking of using contrast but the model might be too dark at that point for it to really show.

• Options
    What kind of colour do you want? Like a real metallic red/green/blue/whatever or just some hint to make it look a bit more interesting? For the latter you could just add some other coloured wash to the Nuln Oil.

• Options
    What kind of colour do you want? Like a real metallic red/green/blue/whatever or just some hint to make it look a bit more interesting? For the latter you could just add some other coloured wash to the Nuln Oil.

I'd prefer a metallic look with blue and orange. I was gonna do part of my Necrons in a blue theme and the other part orange. I definitely want more than just a hint of color though.

This is what some of the Necrons looked like that I painted in 2006 or 2007, long time ago. They have since been stripped of paint. Picture isn't great, very old. I liked the blue though.
    2DWcj4g.jpg
    NnnhKgC.jpg

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Contrast paints work great with metallics (many YouTube videos attest to this if you want visual evidence of how they look) but I don’t think the range includes the exact hue you had there.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So last week on the Warhammer community site they showed off a guide about the Daughter of Khaine
    blfr2rsf8fe4.png
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/21/from-the-mind-of-mengel-daughters-of-khainegw-homepage-post-2/
    Sadly I built my medusa as it was on the sprue I do want to do the mask but it's going to be a lot of fine filing it seems and the same for the mask to get that look and then when I get some more Melusai I will do the same not making the same mistake with it's extra mask
    Just I am wary of all that filing since the head is full of fine detail and little parts

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Contrast paints work great with metallics (many YouTube videos attest to this if you want visual evidence of how they look) but I don’t think the range includes the exact hue you had there.

Yeah, the contrast blues are all way more vibrant. To get that smokey blue, you'd probably have to mix in some grey

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

@Dr_Keenbean did the base

That base was rad. I should have kept it.

You should have! But you didn't, and now its majesty is forever marred by my shitty painting

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Yeah, the contrast blues are all way more vibrant. To get that smokey blue, you'd probably have to mix in some grey

It might look like a smokey blue because of how intensely dusty those models were.

I think the metal look I'm trying for is too dark to make the blue show well though.

This is gloss black primer, black metal, 2 washes of gloss nuln, and then talassar blue.
    iskal41yh8m6.jpg
    2gdh2lve07nt.jpg

This is gloss black primer, black metal, black templar, and talassar blue.
    bjj32xf4vltc.jpeg
    j2l81j7w7plq.jpeg

Really leaning towards the first one. Tried to get the best picture I could.

Stragint on