As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

PeenPeen Registered User regular
edited February 14 in Games and Technology
Brought to you by Respawn, the team responsible for Titanfall and Titanfall 2. They keep on putting more Titanfall in the game, someday Titans? Respawn plz?!!

Jump from ship.

Grab loot.

Shoot mans.

It's like a lot of other Battle Royales. It's better because the characters you play are varied, well voice acted, and overflowing with personality. The Battle Royale mode is team based in either trios or duos (but competitive ranked is all trios) and this season they're adding a 3v3 round based Arena mode with a buy phase before each round. It also has a genre-defining ping system that allows you to communicate with teammates in really effective ways so that you never have to hear anyone's dumb voice if you don't want to.

Here's a link to a Google sheet of forum names and gamertags that you can be on if you want to play with other cool people!

Peen on

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    This game continues to be good, also if anything I think it's getter better every season

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Bring back train drops!

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Bring back train drops!
    They're putting other maps back in rotation in just a few days, aren't they?

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Bring back train drops!

Tomorrow/Today depending on where you are

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    Bring back train drops!

lol yeah I think tomorrow.

but I'm ready. My body. Will meet the train.

I just had a sick pub game that got wrecked by some turtles but before that we turned a contested landing into getting surrounded in a high ground spot that our path ulted us out of by going over the wall then dropping into a map zipline over a zone out chasm then ballooned away. Next, moving on the next ring two of my team got picked off i wraith q'd away to phoenix, the other team moved off with the ring closing, i went back out of the ring to get our banners, q'd back and snuck them over to a beacon. Wraith is fun. I normally don't play her because I'm often with a friend who almost exclusively does and I don't have near enough experience to main anyone.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Huzzah, won another Duos match, with 4 kills (nearly 5). Got paired with a Pathfinder who went on his own to Hydro Dam when I went to Repulsor. He apparently had some fights, I had some fights, we both survived and met up at Repulsor and then just played the ring for a bit. He later got downed when engaging a team and I played cleanup, got the dude back up. we ended up in the high tower near Repulsor as rings closed, and as he was Pathfinder we knew exactly where to wait. But he got impatient, saw a dude on a ledge and pushed him, doing damage but getting downed. I pursued, but the opponent jumped off the tower.

They survived the fall. But not the next ring, as they were unable to scale back up anywhere that wasn't already a death circle. So it made for an anti-climactic end where I chilled on top of a building and Pathy self-revived and we just hung out and eventually were granted the win. But I suppose any win feels good (and this season has been harder to come by thus far).

I won't pretend to know the secret to winning since I started playing 2 weeks before this season... but I know I have gotten 5 wins so far this season and it honestly just feels like communicating and playing with friends is a next level strat sometimes.

Gah, three matches tonight where I got in top 3 or top 2 and my team either pushes up too aggressively, or we get screwed by ring position.
    It doesn't help of course that when pubbing it's hard for people to understand if when you ping you mean "push this" or "oh shit watch out" since it seems like the default is "go blindly push this person."

Arg, just sucks to get so close so many times in one night and have it all fall apart at the end because of poor luck and lack of communication.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Gah, three matches tonight where I got in top 3 or top 2 and my team either pushes up too aggressively, or we get screwed by ring position.
    It doesn't help of course that when pubbing it's hard for people to understand if when you ping you mean "push this" or "oh shit watch out" since it seems like the default is "go blindly push this person."

Arg, just sucks to get so close so many times in one night and have it all fall apart at the end because of poor luck and lack of communication.

Yeah, good communication is most definitely a predictor of how well a match is going to go. Have you tried using the ping menu-wheel at all? I get pretty good mileage out of a whole bunch of the more specific pings: defending, watching, looting here etc.

Got up into plat last night. Not sure if it's the changes to matchmaking or if I've got better, but getting out of gold seemed much easier this time around. Going to try and have a run at getting into Diamond this season. The -36 RP over a few badly started matches is brutal though!

Campy wrote: »

Yeah, good communication is most definitely a predictor of how well a match is going to go. Have you tried using the ping menu-wheel at all? I get pretty good mileage out of a whole bunch of the more specific pings: defending, watching, looting here etc.

Got up into plat last night. Not sure if it's the changes to matchmaking or if I've got better, but getting out of gold seemed much easier this time around. Going to try and have a run at getting into Diamond this season. The -36 RP over a few badly started matches is brutal though!

I tend to forget about the ping wheel during the stress of combat. When things are calming and you are just calling out where you may go loot or watch, I can remember it. But once we get to the point of bullets flying and you are being pushed, I totally blank out on it and just think "press RB." It's a good suggestion that hopefully I'll keep in mind more.

One of the two matches that we lost was a round that had Market (and the buildings around it) be like an old school charnel house. When my team got there, we had 11 or so squads left. But it was where the whole round ended. My team got into and out of gun fights, and I think in total we had 8 revives just trying to survive. It was just constant gunfire, repositioning, healing, grenades, flanking, hiding for several minutes straight and it was exhilarating.

This game gud ya'll.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've been having a good season but man it's hard for me to play well for more than an hour at a time. I'm pretty sure it's because I play later at night, after my family is asleep, but I'm good for a few games and then I just get lost in the sauce and can't concentrate the same way I could when I started.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

I always play to win, but considering the tough inherent nature of BRs, if I have a night like that I consider it an overall win. Finishing that high multiple times is a good night.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I always derive some small pleasure in even bad rounds as long as I made progress in some quests.

Magell wrote: »
    I always derive some small pleasure in even bad rounds as long as I made progress in some quests.

Quests are my saving grace in this game and one of the big reasons why Apex stuck with me while the other earlier BRs didnt.

ObiFett wrote: »

I always play to win, but considering the tough inherent nature of BRs, if I have a night like that I consider it an overall win. Finishing that high multiple times is a good night.

That's the good thing about playing ranked. If get top 3 with a few kills an assists then you still get a butt load of points, which feels great.

That's a positive outlook, and typically I try to have that outlook. But I won't lie, sometimes getting some back to back near-wins can demoralize you (and make it easier to blame Rando rather than enjoying how far you got).

I am also trying to temper expectations that I'll be getting less and less wins as Apex goes on, since presumably like most video games only the more hardcore players are sticking around (even in non-Ranked). Earlier seasons like felt like successes came more frequently because the player base was larger.

In any case, I suppose I feel like my general play is improving. I dropped below 1.0 KD, but I'm still within striking distance of it, and placement is still generally good except when getting early team wiped. So even without wins, it's still enjoyable.

Threw away a perfectly good Doubles victory earlier today. My teammate Caustic and I went most of the match not seeing anybody, then he runs up behind a duo after the cleared out bunker, and we scavenge them. I'm rocking Gold Armor, Helmet, a Peacekeeper, tricked out R-301, everything in the world. Caustic is dressed in purples. We collapse near the final fight, Caustic gets downed fighting a team while I retreated to heal. He gets on comms to tell me to push, and I do, easily downing a Wraith, and nearly killing a Lifeline who retreats upstairs from the hole in the ground near the Farm.

I don't pursue, because I think there are at least 2 more enemies alive from another team prowling about, sniffing for murder.

While worrying about that and tossing a grenade at the Wraith, I realize too late the ring is going to close. I stumble trying to get up the same stairs the Lifeline did, because it is cluttered with deathboxes. I see the sun right as the ring collapses on me. I toss my teleport bracelet, but I am too slow. I see the Lifeline, just outside of the ring, back to me, unaware of my plight. I try to press the button to teleport with the bracelet, but the ring kills me. The Lifeline wins - there was no other enemy team alive.

So I let someone who was no shields run away when I was fully geared up with murder guns because I was afraid of non-existent enemies.

In my defense, I did have an eager 6 year old commentating in my ear the entire team so it made it very difficult to actually pay any reasonable attention, so I didn't see the squad marker go from 3 squads remaining to 2, but it still stings to just give away an absolute murder victory because that Lifeline had no right living. I suppose I'll take solace in the fact that they probably celebrated their ridiculous good fortune.

That's a positive outlook, and typically I try to have that outlook. But I won't lie, sometimes getting some back to back near-wins can demoralize you (and make it easier to blame Rando rather than enjoying how far you got).

I am also trying to temper expectations that I'll be getting less and less wins as Apex goes on, since presumably like most video games only the more hardcore players are sticking around (even in non-Ranked). Earlier seasons like felt like successes came more frequently because the player base was larger.

In any case, I suppose I feel like my general play is improving. I dropped below 1.0 KD, but I'm still within striking distance of it, and placement is still generally good except when getting early team wiped. So even without wins, it's still enjoyable.

I think the playerbase is still quite large, but they've introduced skill-based matchmaking into casual 2s and 3s for the last few months. So now like all other skill matched systems you'll end up at a matchmaking level where you get about a 50/50 split on wins. By whatever metric the game counts as "winning" anyway.

edited May 2020

I think the playerbase is still quite large, but they've introduced skill-based matchmaking into casual 2s and 3s for the last few months. So now like all other skill matched systems you'll end up at a matchmaking level where you get about a 50/50 split on wins. By whatever metric the game counts as "winning" anyway.

Yeah the playerbase seems to be more than fine. I believe they posted on their twitter the other day they are seeing record populations, especially in relation to a season drop.

In regard to the bolded - I'm pretty sure the devs stated some where that there has been some form of SBMM in the game since it launched and that people are basically having a fit and blaming their games on it when it has been there all along.

Edit-Season 5 Numbers article

Edit- In regards to SBMM, it's been around in some form since before the end of Season 2. Link

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
    I noticed after only playing with my friends for the first month when I tried out solo games by myself it dropped me with a lot of brand new players for a while so I've been wondering how it does the matchmaking.

Like, I know level isn't indicative of everything but my first game had a champion squad with a combined level of 14.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of the story they've told so far with the visual novel chapters.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the story they've told so far with the visual novel chapters.

Agreed. Nodding Head.

squall99x wrote: »

Yeah the playerbase seems to be more than fine. I believe they posted on their twitter the other day they are seeing record populations, especially in relation to a season drop.

In regard to the bolded - I'm pretty sure the devs stated some where that there has been some form of SBMM in the game since it launched and that people are basically having a fit and blaming their games on it when it has been there all along.

Edit-Season 5 Numbers article

Edit- In regards to SBMM, it's been around in some form since before the end of Season 2. Link

Hahaha, amazing @ the bolded. I'd only got my info from a whiny reddit mega-thread. In which there was a whole bunch of people complaining about how they didn't have a K/D ratio of 4 (!) anymore and that it was hard to kill people. I'm terribly sorry sir, but Apex Noob Crushing is not fun for people on the wrong end.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    It's nothing fancy, but it made me laugh all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91gLd7sa1U&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1tOFOMfj0hIeFxmfqTTHvSFTIY6EcUOJkG95GB-WpMCycG0JgCzLiGGT4

Edit: I just picked this up on PS4 to play with friends. I enjoy it, but ye gods playing a competitive FPS with a controller when I've been a life long PC player is messy. Am I a force of nature on a KBAM? No. But I'm a fuckload better than I am with these stupid thumbsticks. >.<

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Couple more top 3s and 5s tonight. Had a doubles match where we absolutely had it locked down with solid positioning then my teenager Wraith teammate ran across and open field thirsting for an enemy team and getting himself killed. He then spent the rest of the match berating me for not pushing into a clear suicide with him, despite me then nearly clutching the win anyway.

Also had a doubles match where I had 5 kills and my Pathy friend had 3 of his own. He got downed and I dropped two enemies to try and save him before a Loba came from behind. We had a bunny hop Mastiff duel, but since she had tagged me from behind to third party, I was only at half shields and she barely eked out kill, ending my murder spree.

So yeah, I feel I win less but personally perform better this season, so I guess I just need to judge myself more positively.

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I haven't played apex since season 1 and I am really enjoying being back so far.

steam_sig.png
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Playing a match with @metaghost and a random when we all DC'd. I managed to get back in, looking to solo to top 3 for the daily.

Ended up robbing a Mirage for the solo win after his and the other team chewed each other to pieces.

https://youtu.be/BsR77XZwoT0

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I haven't used the mastiff enough to be sure this is the right call, but a lot of the time I'll stick with the iron sights on the mastiff, since they indicate the pellet placement of its unusual spread.

I haven't used the mastiff enough to be sure this is the right call, but a lot of the time I'll stick with the iron sights on the mastiff, since they indicate the pellet placement of its unusual spread.

Yeah, they show you the tighter spread it has when ADS with the normal iron sights so I normally just leave it be. Ultimately though I just try to aim for center mass...preferably across the chest so the spread goes across the shoulders and you hit all of the pellets. I think someone mentioned it in this thread and multiple times on reddit but the Mastiff actually does more damage with a non crit with all the pellets than it does with a crit because of the pellets you miss because the head is so small.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    one of my friends and a whole nother squad learned the hard way about dropping too aggressively for the ship if it's out on the open seas

https://clips.twitch.tv/SlickCuteMosquitoHotPokket

Orphane on
    Listen. I've been both of those squads. It's part of life. If the train in worlds edge was over an endless expanse I'd have a lot of deaths there too

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    well this was dumb
    mthfc0iltpqp.png
    lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    A win is a win

The third partying on Kings Canyon is starting to feel a bit out of control, especially on the NE side of the map. Every time I end up there it's an endless cluster of teams running in before a fight is finished.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    King's Canyon feels like it's 60% the size of the old maps.

What is this I don't even.
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    A win is a win

The third partying on Kings Canyon is starting to feel a bit out of control, especially on the NE side of the map. Every time I end up there it's an endless cluster of teams running in before a fight is finished.

one time my friends and i landed on the surface of labs instead of into the warp portal

we go in after looting and clean up 2 teams and a 3rd team that comes in midway through

then a 4th, 5th, and 6th team dogpiled on and i stopped counting after that because we were already dead

Orphane wrote: »
    A win is a win

one time my friends and i landed on the surface of labs instead of into the warp portal

we go in after looting and clean up 2 teams and a 3rd team that comes in midway through

then a 4th, 5th, and 6th team dogpiled on and i stopped counting after that because we were already dead

The NE has definitely become busier, Capacitor and The Rig being very popular drops means that there's a whole new direction for people to come third party from compared to previous. Places that were fairly safe after initial battle, e.g Artillery, just aren't anymore. Just as with any BR, dropping near the map/dropzone centre is risky, and the map centre has shifted from previous seasons.

King's Canyon definitely has several more convergence points than it used to have. Salvage/Market/Water Treatment/Gauntlet/ and even Bunker all can converge between one another in those little strip of houses. Cage and Containment are both convergence points as well. Both of those places are where 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th parties go to die.

I was in a building in little town in front of Bunker the other day that legit had 18 boxes in it. 1/3 of the lobby dead in one spot.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    A win is a win

It's funny, it's felt like the opposite to me. I've had way more games lately where we wander around and don't see anyone else until there are under ten teams left. If you can avoid the convergence points then you can really last a while without a fight.

Last night I logged in, got a treasure pack out of my second crate, got some good guns, won, and then Constaza'd out and went to bed. It was great.

0t4P2evl.png

Peen wrote: »
    A win is a win

It's funny, it's felt like the opposite to me. I've had way more games lately where we wander around and don't see anyone else until there are under ten teams left. If you can avoid the convergence points then you can really last a while without a fight.

Last night I logged in, got a treasure pack out of my second crate, got some good guns, won, and then Constaza'd out and went to bed. It was great.

0t4P2evl.png

Absolutely. The map can feel empty because everyone lands at one of those hotzones and then hits the convergence points and all of a sudden there are 3 teams left and its still the first ring. And your team is on the other side of the map.

oHqYBTXm.jpg