As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Oh for sure only use tariffs long term if you need them to not be running at a deficit. Definitely lower them when you can, before you think about lowering taxes. Early on your tax and tariff efficiency is pretty low anyway, so your 100% taxes and tariffs are significantly lower than that. I still contend that early on high tariffs are not too bad for your country overall, but I do agree that you want to get rid of them as circumstances permit. It's really interesting that once you get your home industry functional, that reducing tariffs can actually increase your income because you can reduce industry subsidies and get more tax out of your pops.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    My Sweden game is getting really frustrating. Poland and Lithuania are allied, I want Lithuanian land, so I call Poland into a war with Denmark, then when that's half won I declare on Lithuania. A couple of months later Poland white peaces out, then joins Lithuania. Fuck. I end up peacing out of both wars really cheaply, probably losing my chance to transfer vassalage of Norway.

While recovering, my ally England calls me to help their war against Scotland. They've almost won already, so I just send some boats to blockade Scotland's ally. A couple of months later England fully annexes Scotland, giving me about half of it, then breaks their alliance with me and declares me a rival because they want Scotland. What the fuck. I had 1% war contribution and you didn't promise land, why did you give me half of the land you took if you wanted it so bad?

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Nice to see it's not just Victoria II AI that is pants on head stupid at times. That is definitely one of the dumbest things I have heard of the AI doing in a long time, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Picked up For Odin today, woo!
    DE05F002DBBF9F073D9DAA3D1333EF64D9759C83

Started with my capital in Den Haag (so I was in the HRE), plus Pale (to expand in Ireland), London, and England's two other forts in Britain (to cripple England). Started with English culture, flipped to Irish for funsies. Stayed in the HRE until Austria rivalled me, then I figured I wasn't getting anything out of it so I left and formed Ireland.

It was pretty fun! I started off pretty weak, and everyone hated me because of the pagan religion, but I had strong military and trade ideas so once I consolidated Ireland I was bringing in a ton of money and it all just snowballed from there.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Trying out Banat in Vicky 2, Banat starts with a huuge RGO, it seems far from the worst nation in the game

Also eight days until Imperator Emperor

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Sons of Carthage get

syt76hr3696g.png

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Been doing a little achievement spree waiting for Emperor. Arabian Coffee was really easy, Levant Turnabout less so. I had about 5 wars with the Ottomans, usually once I kick them around once or twice everybody else piles on, this time nobody else declared on them all game, and instead they kept bloody guaranteeing them!
    Strait Talk was a bit rough, partly because I was told Plutocratic had a dip rep policy (it doesn't!) so the run took about 30 years longer than it might have. Also, taking Humanist, Diplo, Inf, Pluto with no military bonuses in your national ideas while surrounded by Mamluks, Ottos, and Persia, is not a recipe for survival.
    Victorian Three was fun. I conquered central Africa, from Kongo to Kilwa, and decided that was enough. Spent the rest of the game on speed 5, taking mil ideas, deving up and building forts. Fought off the Europeans about 6 times. Ended up as the #5 great power by deving all my provinces up to 20-50 each.

And with all that done, and a few quicker ones...
    cPr8sQC.png

Halfway there!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My go to suggestion to dealing with the Ottomans starts with no-CBing Byzantium.

• Options
    My go to suggestion to dealing with the Ottomans starts with no-CBing Byzantium.

Yeah, that's my favourite way to do it, but as Mamluks I was having trouble with them even after that. Especially in the first war, when I couldn't get access to the Balkans at all. Things were just going well for the Ottomans all game, so even with that crippling at the start they were spreading and growing, and their troop quality was higher than mine, and their forts stopped me from stackwiping them, and and and...

I got it eventually, I'm just used to finishing them much quicker and easier after that first war.

• Options
    I'm finishing my Orissa campaign and god dismantling 3k dev Revolutionary France with 1.5k Portugal PU sucks

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'm annoyed at how slowly institutions spread to me as Ottoman. How the heck do folks even further away deal with this? Like say China, or pacific islanders.

Also, i can speed it up with more development, right? Better to spread it out or concentrate it in the capital? Or some other strategy (i.e. the "best value" sort in the construct development screen?

Also anyone know what happens to existing save games during the major upcoming patch? Is like to finish my current campaign without restarting it or whatever, think I'll be able to? I wasn't around for previous major patches.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    In most circumstances you want to develop one province until the institution is present, preferably in a location where it can spread to other high-dev provinces

Exceptions are where the institution is growing on its own and you just want to speed it up (for example Renaissance or Printing Press in Europe)

Institutions are also going to spread faster from "friendly" countries, friendly counts as anyone with an opinion above 0 - the Ottomans should have no problem getting institutions from e.g. Genova this way

Major patches break savegames, you can however return to former patches via the Steam beta branch

• Options
    Being the Foremost Servitor of Jagannath on VH

QApjKwI.jpg

• Options
    Free things more about than when an ally takes land you need for a mission. Oh yeah, when they take it in a way that start after you started a war with the same target but didn't invite them into so as to save on favors.

So to take the last Egyptian province and get a ton of free cores in the middle east, I'm going to have to break my oldest alliance (with Tunis) and take their shit. Before even finishing off the Mamaluks :(

And the Tunisians trust me implicitly.

At this point eyeing the Commonwealth which is huge, and second great power after me. I'd rather take Hungarian land (they hold the last take Serbia mission province, i took the rest in the first 50 years or so), but attacking Hungary has Austria AND the Commonwealth involved, while attacking the Commonwealth just had a couple of German minors involved.

Also at one point there were a bunch of revolutions in Hungary and Croatia, Bosnia, and Transylvania broke free. Croatia immediately attacked Bosnia and fully annexed them (hilarious). Hungary recovered in a few years and reannexed Transylvania. I allied Croatia and bribed then into loving me, but they still won't let me vassalize them. I get -70 from my "economy" whatever that means, and makes it impossible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Economic base originally meant base tax which got later redeveloped into development

If you get -70 they're probably always going to be too big to diplo-vassalize, unless they lose provinces (it can be really beneficial to vassalize a nation which lost provinces so you get the Reconquest CB)

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I'm annoyed at how slowly institutions spread to me as Ottoman. How the heck do folks even further away deal with this? Like say China, or pacific islanders.

Also, i can speed it up with more development, right? Better to spread it out or concentrate it in the capital? Or some other strategy (i.e. the "best value" sort in the construct development screen?

Also anyone know what happens to existing save games during the major upcoming patch? Is like to finish my current campaign without restarting it or whatever, think I'll be able to? I wasn't around for previous major patches.

Generally what I do is put the 'encourage development' edict on the capital, and then dev it up until the institution is present (you know the way to see an institution's presence in a province, right? That button near the buildings tab?). Then next institution, you do the same in a province that is next to your capital. Next institution, same in a province that's next to both of them.

If you want to diplovassalise people, go to the macro builder thingy, then the diplo tab. One of the options in there is to see all the people you can diplovassalise, and it will tell you if they'll agree to it without you having to ally and pump their opinion up.

• Options
    edited June 2020

Generally what I do is put the 'encourage development' edict on the capital, and then dev it up until the institution is present (you know the way to see an institution's presence in a province, right? That button near the buildings tab?). Then next institution, you do the same in a province that is next to your capital. Next institution, same in a province that's next to both of them.

If you want to diplovassalise people, go to the macro builder thingy, then the diplo tab. One of the options in there is to see all the people you can diplovassalise, and it will tell you if they'll agree to it without you having to ally and pump their opinion up.

Not sure what the macro builder thing is... Do you mean the one for making troops, ships, buildings, etc...?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Not sure what the macro builder thing is... Do you mean the one for making troops, ships, buildings, etc...?

Yeah. One of the tabs is diplomacy, and then it has things showing who will accept an alliance, royal marriage, vassalisation, etc.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    I just got the achievement to control all of China as Yuan, starting as Oirat. I can understand why this is the recommended start for quick world conquests, but man the horde life is not for me. Huge inflation, constant wars, conquering land just to burn it down... I had negative income pretty much the whole game, mostly because massive inflation meant massive troop costs, and only survived on looting and demanding cash, which increased inflation and made the problem worse. Although I did like that my army was 100% cavalry all game. Felt weird sieging forts with just cav.

I considered going for the Mongol Empire, and saw that I'd need to conquer through the Timurids, Ottomans, Russia, and cancel half my tributaries... I just can't be fucked with that. The world conquest lifestyle is not for me, I'd rather have a strong economy and drilled, professional army.

As a horde you should have enough monarch points to pay down inflation semi-regularly.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Must... resist urge... to buy Emperor... before it inevitably goes on sale in like a few months.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Estates matter... merc spam is fixed... new HRE stuff...

man lots of fun there.

• Options
    Of course the Austrian mission tree impels you to go to China

And if you did the missions for Bavaria and Swabia and Brandenburg by annexing those countries there would be very little HRE left in the end

The French mission tree includes a mission which gives you a Restoration of Union CB on Spain, jeeeeez

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Bregenz has ideas which let them recruit female generals and give +50% female advisor chance and increased PP from insults, this is hilarious

Also they can reform Austria

[edit]

This might be an A-Tier idea set

Platy on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Of course the Austrian mission tree impels you to go to China

And if you did the missions for Bavaria and Swabia and Brandenburg by annexing those countries there would be very little HRE left in the end

The French mission tree includes a mission which gives you a Restoration of Union CB on Spain, jeeeeez

Well I guess my aborted France into Rome run just got easier

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Platy wrote: »
    Bregenz has ideas which let them recruit female generals and give +50% female advisor chance and increased PP from insults, this is hilarious

Also they can reform Austria

[edit]

This might be an A-Tier idea set

What's PP?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Power Projection, you get it for taking land from your rivals, humiliating or insulting them, from embargos or being a Great Power

It gives you an additional general slot, extra monarch power and other modifiers such as Morale and Legitimacy

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I can't try the patch till I finish my no trails of tears run

I've spent way to much time testing stuff out

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Steam autopatched my have, i couldn't figure out how to stop it. So i (re) started an Ottoman campaign.

Doing better at start knowing a few mechanics better, and managed to get rid of the Knights super early but.. there is a maybe coalition forming against me. So I'm sending my diplomats to ask those countries to improve relations, hoping to stave off a coalition war, which is what i did a couple of times in my France game when i wouldn't return provinces to the HRE.

Biggest change i can see is to mercs (which i almost never hired as Ottomans anyway) and estates (which seem to have been turned into short term buff long term debuff buttons). And a lot more little countries cleaved of from the ones that were around before, usually by diluting existing large provinces into smaller ones.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I look forward to the bigger UI mods being updated. So many small windows like the estate privilege selection, and they've added a scrollbar to the subject interaction.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Yeah the UIs are pretty terrible

The preliminary idea seems to be that you want to grant privileges in the first half of the game to later revoke them when Absolutism appears

They seem to no longer force the AI to build a certain % of its forcelimit as units (which forced the AI into suicidal merc spam), on the other hand this means that OPMs and small nations don't build enough troops to defend themselves anymore

Platy on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I don't understand the new Burgundian Inheritance event. I'm using the console to kill Burgundy's ruler, and every time Austria inherits everything. The text implies that Burgundy is choosing to cede its land to Austria, but they're rivals, whereas I have an alliance and royal marriage. If there were no event, I'd be getting a PU over them on death, because they have no heir. So why does Austria get everything, every time?

If I'm understanding the Incident_Burgundian_Inheritance.txt right, they're picking the option 'side with austria', which should be heavily penalised because of how much they hate each other.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    Also, I really don't look forward to playing as England again. Have a war with France, probably two allies, and five vassals? Even if you win every battle, that's like a decade of sieging. Then they've changed it so you are in charge of your PU's vassals. You win the war, suddenly you've got 5 French minors and your dip mana is fucked.

• Options
    Oh hey estates seen to have a thing now where they give you extra admin/diplo/mil points at cost of max absolutism and income.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, I really don't look forward to playing as England again. Have a war with France, probably two allies, and five vassals? Even if you win every battle, that's like a decade of sieging. Then they've changed it so you are in charge of your PU's vassals. You win the war, suddenly you've got 5 French minors and your dip mana is fucked.

I'd heard that when you get a PU over someone you directly control their vassals. This was wrong, my bad for repeating it. England is still going to have a bitch of a fight to get the PU, but they won't get 5 crummy vassals along with it.

I've been experimenting with the Burgundian Inheritance and I think it's really, really heavily weighted in favour of the HRE Emperor. I've seen it go to the Emperor 8 times, remain independent once. In all 8 times the Emperor took it, France got nothing.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I wouldn't rule out some screwy thing with how the AI chooses options in events

Platy on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Found the following "strategy": ally everyone around the Palatinate as Bavaria, call them in on promise of land with the Restoration of Union CB, let the Palatinate annex your allies, force union

[edit]

The Bavarian mission tree is super OP, you can in theory indirectly own all of South Germany, Burgundy and Austria before 1500

Platy on
  • Options
    Has the patch heavily nerfed the Ottomans, or am I just lucky? They haven't expanded much at all, and when Poland dragged me into a war with them I realised they only had about 15k troops. I've fought them a couple of times now, and they've never had more than that, and I've never actually had a battle because Poland wipes them out before I get there.

• Options
    Has the patch heavily nerfed the Ottomans, or am I just lucky? They haven't expanded much at all, and when Poland dragged me into a war with them I realised they only had about 15k troops. I've fought them a couple of times now, and they've never had more than that, and I've never actually had a battle because Poland wipes them out before I get there.

I restarted my Ottoman game since the psych ruined my save from my earlier attempt. Is definitely been harder to expand, a file of times i had coalitions build against me + crusade for expansion into Greece and even inside Anatolia, which didn't happen last time. It could just be RNG, i don't know.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The HRE is kinda screwy right now. People are revoking in around 1460, and that's without doing anything crazy. One guy did that in just three wars! Austria vs Bohemia, Hungary, Venice. In the Italy incident if you just let everyone leave, they immediately rejoin, giving you enough IA for a new reform.

My Austria game has stalled because the leagues have started, but I've got the 'no internal wars' reform, so the league wars can't start, but I can't pass any more reforms until they're done, so that's 100 years of stagnation for me.

According to the ledger I've got a higher income than Spain, Britain, and the Ottomans combined, which says to me that something's screwy with their income, mine isn't that high. And it shows, everyone's perpetually in debt and without troops.

• Options
    I thought they had more time to playtest this considering the expansion was in the works for one and a half years, nations are super-likely to join the HRE and everything is screwy and overtuned

The Ottomans probably suffer from the merc changes, nations just run out of manpower and the mercs run out of merc manpower and that's it

Unfortunately Very Hard felt so far like I was playing on Normal

Coalitions depend on which land you take and from whom (belligerent or co-belligerent)