As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Okay, my first thought was "there's no way to air fry in an instant pot, you need a convection fan for that."

Then I clicked through to the whole picture and actually gasped as I realized what these mad bastards had done. I...might need to look into this.

Yeah I just bought the one that comes with both lids and fits 8 quarts. It's coming in gunfire and I'm pretty exited? Not sure what to cook in it, maybe wings?

Anything frozen that you pull out and think "man this'd be better if I did it in the oven but who has the time, so microwave it is" comes out perfectly from the air fryer in almost no time at all! It's revolutionized my kids' chicken nugget game.

That sounds great. Sadly, I can never be trusted with a device that can produce crisp fries at a moment's notice.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I love that wirecutters air fryer review is to basically buy a regular convection oven.

What if you have filthy flatmates that ruin the oven and refuse to clean it though

Well then your filthy flatmates are going to ruin the instant pot version too, I would imagine.

Yeeeaaaah. There goes my gift idea.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Okay, my first thought was "there's no way to air fry in an instant pot, you need a convection fan for that."

Then I clicked through to the whole picture and actually gasped as I realized what these mad bastards had done. I...might need to look into this.

Yeah I just bought the one that comes with both lids and fits 8 quarts. It's coming in gunfire and I'm pretty exited? Not sure what to cook in it, maybe wings?

Anything frozen that you pull out and think "man this'd be better if I did it in the oven but who has the time, so microwave it is" comes out perfectly from the air fryer in almost no time at all! It's revolutionized my kids' chicken nugget game.

That sounds great. Sadly, I can never be trusted with a device that can produce crisp fries at a moment's notice.

https://youtu.be/SUtf9Ajlno4

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Yeah our current air fryer is great but it's old and small. The new one is going to be huge. Gonna try wings tomorrow

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I tried to make mozzarella today today and something went awry in the curd/whey separation process so I've ended up with ricotta. I'm not mad because hey cool, it's at least cheese, but I'm going to need to figure out what happened for next time.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just lit the smoker and will be getting a couple racks of ribs going in about 20 minutes. Going to have some baked beans and macaroni salad to go with it. Should be a tasty meal.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So Zoom book club went a little long and a lot drunk last night. Today Amazon delivered a set of OXO measuring beakers, some cheesecloth, and some tiny soy sauce bowls.

cxni8ks3sfjf.png

Thanks, Drunk Jedoc. I like where your priorities are at.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    can you get drunk and recommend me a decent blender?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    87xmgy8r40pe.jpg

Double posting because OMG ya'll. Those might have been the best ribs I've ever made/had.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Did the cookout thing today, did baked beans, corn on the cob, Mac n cheese, burgers in the grill and air fryer chicken wings.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • CronoColaCronoCola Registered User regular
    Whoa whoa whoa okay hold on.

I've had an air fryer on my list of "someday kitchen gadgets" for a while now. Meanwhile my oven has had a convection setting this whole time.

So it sounds like I already have a massive air fryer in my kitchen? I might have to try out some "air fryer" recipes in there soon and see how they turn out.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Dry. They will turn out dry. Air fryers work because they're small. Less air to heat, your food cooks faster and shouldn't dry out as bad.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I kinda accidently made a lot of glorp.

Basically you put things in a pot in the right order and simmer it in some pasata.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    CronoCola wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa okay hold on.

I've had an air fryer on my list of "someday kitchen gadgets" for a while now. Meanwhile my oven has had a convection setting this whole time.

So it sounds like I already have a massive air fryer in my kitchen? I might have to try out some "air fryer" recipes in there soon and see how they turn out.

Yes, an air fryer is a tiny convection oven

If you use an air fryer recipes in your big convection oven, you will want to watch the cook times and check the food often

It will take longer to heat up a larger volume of air

Got me a pork butt in the smoker. It's been going for a couple hours now and boy howdy, does it smell amazing. Doing Hawaiian style pulled pork tonight, then pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow. Going to be good stuff.

Folks gotta be posting more!

Pulled pork over rice with hoisin sauce, and homemade MAC salad. Plenty of leftovers for tomorrow too.

afrb5dupkqks.jpg

• SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made a quiche with spinach and artichokes for lunch today:

2bejl9N.jpg?1

I forgot to chop the artichoke hearts before adding them in, oops. Still turned out great though

xet8c.gif

Damn that looks tasty!

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I been cookin a lot I just also ain't been foruming a lot.

aLqBvx8h.jpg

I made Ottolenghi's version of a cold Bulgarian cucumber and walnut soup called tarator, and also some sabich because... I wanted to I guess? I fuckin love sabich

Actually it's because I made a mess of tzatziki and I ate all the beet burger patties I made it to go with so now I'm just coming up with other stuff to put tzatziki on

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Also I can't decide if my zhoug is spicy enough, but I keep eating it with HOT HOT HOT mango pickle so I guess who cares

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    HOT HOT HOT mango pickle?

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Gloria Estefan ensues.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    HOT HOT HOT mango pickle?

SUPER

HOT mango pickle

SUPER

HOT mango pickle

SUPER

HOT mango pickle

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Gloria Estefan ensues.

That is not a Miami Sound Machine jam.

Dude’s stage name was “Arrow”, his brother wrote the thing and it was his biggest hit by a country mile.

edited May 2020
    On the board this year!

this mushroom in chicken pot pie or beef bourguignon is just *chef's kiss*

0vsthcur05qp.jpg

e8comosanegm.jpg

r0j5joulzjzm.jpg

haven't weighed it, but it's probably 3.5-4lbs and nigh bug free =)

edit: I also found two that were a couple weeks old and too rotten =(

Xaquin on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Planning on picking up some good thick ribeyes from the meat counter at Kroger tomorrow. I'm going to cook them in my cast iron and maybe baste them in garlic butter.

What's a good side? I'm leaning towards some seasoned rice and steamed broccoli because I already have those and they are easy to slap in my rice cooker.

Also want to pick up a red wine though. Anyone have a good recommendation on that front?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I like potatoes with my steak

baked potatoes are the traditional choice, because they're tasty and easy

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I've never baked a patato well in my life.

They always come out too dry for me, and I don't like a lot of the usual toppings like sour cream or cheese and such to fancy it up.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Use more salt in cooking.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    I usually roast up some diced potatoes, carrots and onion in another cast iron in the oven. 375f for about 30 minutes then the broiler for a few to crisp everything up, season with a bit of salt and pepper and you're money.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Starchy foods like that always kind of feel dry right?

Just slam like half a stick of melted butter over those potatoes.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Mashed potatoes are a little more work but easier to stave off dryness - just add butter/dairy until it tastes good

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I like to toss some green beans in the pan with the steak, just don't overcook them. Hit em with some lemon juice on the plate

Atheraal wrote: »
    I like to toss some green beans in the pan with the steak, just don't overcook them. Hit em with some lemon juice on the plate

Asparagus is good too. a good sear and some garlic butter and it comes out amazing.

So Zoom book club went a little long and a lot drunk last night. Today Amazon delivered a set of OXO measuring beakers, some cheesecloth, and some tiny soy sauce bowls.

cxni8ks3sfjf.png

Thanks, Drunk Jedoc. I like where your priorities are at.

I don't know what those little bowls are but they look pretty!

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    they're for soy sauce! he says so right there!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Uriel wrote: »
    I've never baked a patato well in my life.

They always come out too dry for me, and I don't like a lot of the usual toppings like sour cream or cheese and such to fancy it up.

you might be overcooking them?

What temp/time you doing there?

This discussion has been closed.