As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Apparently ITC is planning on using the official missions and terrain rules for 9th edition, which feels like a significant change.

They are part of the writing team according to Reece. And he and Mike have kind of long term relationship anyway with NoVA and the ITC. Nova and ITC missions are pretty close already.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Can we talk more about the big Necron spoiler picture???

This one-
    1uLtD93No8Dh0bD9.jpg

New stuff I spy:
    - The Silent King
    - Greater Demon-sized Ctan sculpt
    - New Warrior sculpts
    - The Skorpekh Lord standing to the right of the Monolith and behind the Warriors
    - New Monolith with a partially materialized Necron walking out from the portal
    - A (special?) character with a spear and 2 bodyguards in front of the Monolith
    - 2 variants of tri-pod walkers
    - A "heavier" destroyer
    - In the left of the picture immediately to the right of the Tri-pod is a singular model with a white facemask and multiple "eyes"
    - In the background to the right of the second Monolith, are some form of towers that look like a new terrain piece or set

What/who is the thing behind the monolith on the left?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »

This one-
    1uLtD93No8Dh0bD9.jpg

New stuff I spy:
    - The Silent King
    - New Warrior sculpts
    - The Skorpekh Lord standing to the right of the Monolith and behind the Warriors
    - A "heavier" destroyer
    - In the left of the picture immediately to the right of the Tri-pod is a singular model with a white facemask and multiple "eyes"
    - In the background to the right of the second Monolith, are some form of towers that look like a new terrain piece or set

Yeah! What is the thing behind the monolith on the left?

Maybe some kind of basic, non-character unit version of Illuminor Szeras?

H9f4bVe.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I think the all the guass unit is the new heavy destroyer as the only long barrel was kind of annoying to deal with since the model would tip over often

• ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Ardol wrote: »

This one-
    1uLtD93No8Dh0bD9.jpg

New stuff I spy:
    - The Silent King
    - New Warrior sculpts
    - A "heavier" destroyer

Yeah! What is the thing behind the monolith on the left?

Maybe some kind of basic, non-character unit version of Illuminor Szeras?

hmm yeah the face does make me think spider-related...

With the assault primaris I feel sadly my back templars will become a full pickle army now and with lament I will finish the generic marines and various others just because
    Though my brother has different ideals as his Space wolves have always been a part of Grimar's great company with the howling wolf and crescent moon
    He has two of the current waterslide sheets and one of the forgeworld ones because he really looked into making his sown transfers to avoid cutting it up
    Just he has been arguing about doing his pickles as from Ragnar's company as he feels it's beyond time to shake up the space wolves [he makes fun of the War of Fenris who lived and who died a lot}

Other than that my primaris was just 20 marines 15 hell blasters 6 aggressors 10 Reivers and 6 Inceptors I planned on getting the capt and some others {I just don't like the look of the apothecary it doesn't have the action of the one I built} I planned on getting 2 boxes of hellblasters give one to my brother cut the other in half between us
    But if I want to convert it fully over to pickles I just need to get some more generic primaris and the leadership. Still I do need to get Faith n Fury but my current dispute with my neighbor threw a bunch of plans out the window again

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    new AdMech units are 35 pounds and 60 for the flyer

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Unless they release a stand-alone kits in a timely fashion, I'll need to get 3 starters to get three Protoss Colossus ripoffs and three Scorphek Lords or whatever they are.

.......argh.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Unless they release a stand-alone kits in a timely fashion, I'll need to get 3 starters to get three Protoss Colossus ripoffs and three Scorphek Lords or whatever they are.

.......argh.

Ebay…...

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Bizazedo wrote: »

.......argh.

Ebay…...

The biggest benefit of new starter boxes is that whatever non-Marine faction gets included has huge numbers of people wanting to offload it.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I was thinking of making a SoB kill team. I hear rumors that there's a max 1 repentia per team. Is that correct?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

Ebay…...
    I was considering that, but there's been a crazy influx of people going for Necron stuff on eBay all of a sudden. It's been entertaining in a weird way / glad I got my last two Doomsday Arks off eBay when I did.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Ad Mech Previews are up

And god damn they are pretty damn strong.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The holy orders warlord traits alone are a pretty bonkers upgrade compared to normal warlord traits. And the -1 strength trait? Wow

That flyer feels like a meta changer to me. A -1 to damage bomber that shuts down aura abilities? Holy shit.

QA about 9th going on now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Big things to me seemed to be:

Command points are determined by the mission - everyone starts with the same, but you spend them to mix codices.
    Missions are specific to points values and play area size
    Tanks and Monsters use the same rules
    Everyone hits on a 6
    Modifiers are capped at +1/-1
    Terrain has a lot more rules, biggest being that some large bits will be "obscuring" which means it blocks all LOS. Swamps were mentioned and "Jungles and ice worlds will feel different."
    A few more universal strats - including one that seems to give you some ability to strike at a unit that is falling back.
    Old books are staying relevant, the new codexes will dip into the old stuff (Codex and PA) to be a 'Greatest hits' rather than the single point for everything.
    There are new codexes coming, all space marines (including Deathwatch) have access to the new marines in the box. Deathwatch are also getting something early on in this edition.
    Blast weapons will be specifically named, hordes are still just 'bigger units'
    Astartes chainswords are going to get better (and have AP), compared to IG chainswords.

Brief mentions of flyers being more interactive, but not a great deal of detail (other than that there was some response to bombing runs etc), and the Crusade stuff was a bit vague. Other than new codices will have race specific stuff. They sound a bit like sub plots, and completing those subplots gets you XP, which you then can choose to spend. There may be a link between the missions completed and the upgrades you can take.

Tastyfish on
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Big things to me seemed to be:

Command points are determined by the mission - everyone starts with the same, but you spend them to mix codices.
    Missions are specific to points values and play area size
    Tanks and Monsters use the same rules
    Everyone hits on a 6
    Modifiers are capped at +1/-1
    Terrain has a lot more rules, biggest being that some large bits will be "obscuring" which means it blocks all LOS. Swamps were mentioned and "Jungles and ice worlds will feel different."
    A few more universal strats - including one that seems to give you some ability to strike at a unit that is falling back.
    Old books are staying relevant, the new codexes will dip into the old stuff (Codex and PA) to be a 'Greatest hits' rather than the single point for everything.
    There are new codexes coming, all space marines (including Deathwatch) have access to the new marines in the box. Deathwatch are also getting something early on in this edition.
    Blast weapons will be specifically named, hordes are still just 'bigger units'
    Astartes chainswords are going to get better (and have AP), compared to IG chainswords.

Brief mentions of flyers being more interactive, but not a great deal of detail (other than that there was some response to bombing runs etc), and the Crusade stuff was a bit vague. Other than new codices will have race specific stuff. They sound a bit like sub plots, and completing those subplots gets you XP, which you then can choose to spend. There may be a link between the missions completed and the upgrades you can take.

I think you got everything I caught.

They also described a changed morale phase built more on the idea of attrition. And units like Reivers and Night Lords will be more useful. So possibly no always ignore losses stuff I guess.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Those seem like pretty great changes to me overall, but the one thing I'm really looking for here is something about increased durability. Stuff dies very quickly right now and removing stacking to-hit modifiers is just going to exacerbate that.

Burnage wrote: »
    Those seem like pretty great changes to me overall, but the one thing I'm really looking for here is something about increased durability. Stuff dies very quickly right now and removing stacking to-hit modifiers is just going to exacerbate that.

Flattening stacking buffs will help. The new terrain rules will help. General use of outflank for everyone will help.

Oh I think needed to put on there:
    Overwatch is getting a look at.
    There will be ways to punish someone falling back from combat. It will not be free.

u7stthr17eud.png
    How often do you see stacking +1 to hit modifiers? It's aura stacking that really ramps offense up.

Certainly agree that terrain rules should help, I'm very interested to see what they look like in detail.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm really starting to get hyped for 9th. These seem like some good changes. I'm really looking forward to what the flyer changes will be.

Is anyone else having trouble with getting onto the GW site on their phone? I can't look at product at all.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    They did say there would be more levels of terrain, so probbaly more +1, +1 (and -1 to hit) cover saves.
    Admech are also getting a new mechanic in their custom FW traits as -1 to S if the firer is over 12" away as a defensive buff. So we might see that carry onto some types of terrain/cover.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Would be awesome if they used the new necron stuff for a mechanicus expansion or sequel on pc . Loved that game.

Would be awesome if they used the new necron stuff for a mechanicus expansion or sequel on pc . Loved that game.

There is an expansion, Mechanicus: Heretek.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Oh, color me supremely surprised they're not changing how turns work. I know there is much love for using Kill Team style turns in 40k on the internet and from personal experience I've seen it take over most of the local friendly games where I live. Leading up to the official 9th Edition announcement I know one of more common predictions from the community was the adoption of Kill Team turn system.

I am a touch disappointed by this. Not a huge deal to me mind you, I'll just keep doing it anyway cause it makes things more fun IMHO.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh, color me supremely surprised they're not changing how turns work. I know there is much love for using Kill Team style turns in 40k on the internet and from personal experience I've seen it take over most of the local friendly games where I live. Leading up to the official 9th Edition announcement I know one of more common predictions from the community was the adoption of Kill Team turn system.

I am a touch disappointed by this. Not a huge deal to me mind you, I'll just keep doing it anyway cause it makes things more fun IMHO.

Is it pretty straight forward to adopt the system into 40k? Do you do ready fire and all that still?

I've kind if thought about trying to add the apoc turn system, it has been a while but I remember the apoc system been pretty nice too.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hey, people. Can I ask for some advice vis-à-vis carrying cases? I'd like to store my Grey Knights in one case, but I've got

1xNemesis Dreadknight
    1xLand Raider
    1xRazorback
    1xDreadnought
    40x Grey Knights in Power Armour
    15x Grey Knights Terminators
    1x Grand Master Voldus

so I was wondering which case would accomodate them all. Any suggestions?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I really like the sound of the narrative crusade system.

edited May 2020
    Stragint wrote: »

Is it pretty straight forward to adopt the system into 40k? Do you do ready fire and all that still?

I've kind if thought about trying to add the apoc turn system, it has been a while but I remember the apoc system been pretty nice too.

Well you don't adopt the whole system. Mainly the alternating turns (I move a unit you move a unit). Everyone seems to have their own variations/house rules, some people move a unit and attack while others wait until all units move and then have an attack phase (with alternating turns). While many seem to put their own spin on things the core concept of alternating turns is the big thing people seem to like a lot.

I couldn't say if it made the game mechanically better, but it is way more engaging this way since you're not sitting there for 20 minutes waiting for someone to finish their turn while your army is whittled away before you even start. In that regard it is funner IMHO.

edit- "40K rules team are now writing the rules for all models of 40K, regardless of material. All part of the same ecosystem. New books will come out that will deal with the FW range. Excited to be looking at the Death Korps and put them in line with the rest of the Astra Militarum. Finished working on it ages ago."

Oooh okay, I like this a lot.

Axen on
    Stragint wrote: »

Well you don't adopt the whole system. Mainly the alternating turns (I move a unit you move a unit). Everyone seems to have their own variations/house rules, some people move a unit and attack while others wait until all units move and then have an attack phase (with alternating turns). While many seem to put their own spin on things the core concept of alternating turns is the big thing people seem to like a lot.

I couldn't say if it made the game mechanically better, but it is way more engaging this way since you're not sitting there for 20 minutes waiting for someone to finish their turn while your army is whittled away before you even start. In that regard it is funner IMHO.

I mean the base structure might not change but certain things such as damage at the end of round or so on are possible. Though I doubt it.

I mean there are a lot that can be done without changing over the main turn structure.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Hey, people. Can I ask for some advice vis-à-vis carrying cases? I'd like to store my Grey Knights in one case, but I've got

1xNemesis Dreadknight
    1xLand Raider
    1xRazorback
    1xDreadnought
    1x Grand Master Voldus

I’ve bought a lot of cases, but have come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is to make your own foam trays (or use pluck foam). I also make heavy use of magnets on any models that have bits that stick out or could easily get caught and snap. I’ll link a video or two and a few foam retail options when I get home later tonight.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited May 2020
    The big selling point doesn't really have anything to do with the mechanics and more with personal enjoyment and engagement.

Each player has very little down time during a game when using alternating turns/activations.

edit- the main turn structure itself is a problem. As it means that at any given time one of the players has dick all to do except to roll saving throws occasionally. Depending on how big the scale of the match is this downtime could extend for even 30 minutes. You don't want people not doing anything for that long.

Axen on

1xNemesis Dreadknight
    1xLand Raider
    1xRazorback
    1xDreadnought
    1x Grand Master Voldus

Yes and no do you want to lug it around? Or do the sheets of metal and magnet the bottoms of the minis?
    You could get one of the Rubbermaid/plano containers and a bunch of foam with some sheets of plastic to make dividers foam to stop the minis from piling up and protecting them for each other

I don't want to do the sheets of metal with magnets as I have a problem my tyranid army is well over 200+ minis {most of it is termagants/hormogaunts} I do need to set up the container I got for them as it was my goal to paint at least 50% of them this summer

Ok I am curious about the terrain as will there be theme cards like Kill team? or the dice like AOS? {I hate building set boards because I know every bottleneck. choke point and firezone within a few games}

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Is there an official digital army builder this edition?

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

1xNemesis Dreadknight
    1xLand Raider
    1xRazorback
    1xDreadnought
    1x Grand Master Voldus

Yes and no do you want to lug it around? Or do the sheets of metal and magnet the bottoms of the minis?
    You could get one of the Rubbermaid/plano containers and a bunch of foam with some sheets of plastic to make dividers foam to stop the minis from piling up and protecting them for each other

I don't want to do the sheets of metal with magnets as I have a problem my tyranid army is well over 200+ minis {most of it is termagants/hormogaunts} I do need to set up the container I got for them as it was my goal to paint at least 50% of them this summer

Yes I want to lug them around, but I was hoping for something a little more expertly made than a DIY solution.

Still, @italianranma , I'd appreciate any tips, esp. regarding magnetizing.

Children's rights are human rights.
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Is there an official digital army builder this edition?

Part of the 9th edition announcement is an app that is like the AoS one. So it will have an army builder. Also any physical books you buy for 9th will give you a free version on the app so you have all your books in one place. It will also be updated as the rules are updated.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Also a random thought. With the changes in list building and set CP they may have accidentally made fortifications useful.

u7stthr17eud.png