As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Tenet, new Christopher Nolan joint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3pk_TBkihU&feature=emb_logo

I can't tell what I just watched. I think I'm into it?

Nothing involving time travel should look that boring.

And referring to something as "it hasn't happened yet" is as cliche as saying "Not where. When."

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Well I think it looks very interesting and given Nolan's previous films I'm pretty much guaranteed to watch it in theaters when it comes out. Assuming it comes out in theaters. And assuming theaters still exist.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    It's only being released on Fortnite.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Nolan seems hell bent on keeping the original release date of July 17, which is terrible

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    how is it even his decision and not the studio's

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    how is it even his decision and not the studio's

Almost $5 billion in receipts and 34 Oscar noms. I'm guessing he has some leverage at this point in his career.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

This is honestly one of the best trailers I've seen in a long time. It's interesting and engaging but it gives away nothing. You know time travel guy has non-traditional time travel powers and he needs to stop something, that's it. They say they're stopping WWIII but not that WWIII. It doesn't tell you who the good or bad guys are, you don't even know if there are good or bad guys.

Also I didn't realize until just now that John David Washington is Denzel Washington's son.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Christopher Nolan has an obsession with time, doesn't he?

Tenet seems neat and absolutely confusing to me.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I don't blame him, after all it's the most powerful magic in the universe.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I don't blame him, after all it's the most powerful magic in the universe.

Uh, no.

That's love.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Nothing involving time travel should look that boring.

And referring to something as "it hasn't happened yet" is as cliche as saying "Not where. When."

That's boring? Compared to something like the delorean or the old H. G. Wells movie it's certainly low key, but I find the implications of this time travel highly intriguing.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Time travel is really hit or miss and subjective. I loved the time travel of Looper, but hated it in Endgame and Bioshock Infinite. Know lots of people feel differently.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's a Nolan movie. He could just email me the title and roughly when it hits theatres and I'm good. I'll show up. He's earned that.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Time travel is really hit or miss and subjective. I loved the time travel of Looper, but hated it in Endgame and Bioshock Infinite. Know lots of people feel differently.

I’m almost always game for time travel, from Primer to Source Code to Time Traveler’s Wife to Harry Potter to Star Trek 4 to that Daybreak tv series with Taye Diggs. Just nomnomnom feed me more dumb non-science I love it!

Endgame is amazing and the way they hand wave the time travel is the absolute best “look, we need this to make the plot go zoom” bullshit and I love it.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Tenent is day one for me, like many of Nolan's movies. It reminds me of his version of the Van Damme Classic ,
    "Timecop."

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Tenent is day one for me, like many of Nolan's movies. It reminds me of his version of the Van Damme Classic ,
    "Timecop."

JCVD did an tv show practically based around the idea that timecop is better than looper and its a great gag the whole way through. He plays a version of himself, that while on movie sets, is also actually really a spy. He infiltrates a base, and he gets made, but everyone keeps calling him Philip like they know him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07vNw7zc-ac

It's really just one of those 'one of a kind' type things that will disappear into the ether of the buffet of streaming available that would never ever be able to exist in any other way, like comrade detective.

edit: Er, trailer thread you say:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lQ72f-jjx4

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    It's a Nolan movie. He could just email me the title and roughly when it hits theatres and I'm good. I'll show up. He's earned that.

Except I'm not going to the theater right now, and he's heavily sticking to his guns about this coming out day and date without any possibility of changing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Hill of Freedom and Yourself and Yours, for my money the two greatest South Korean films of the last decade, are finally getting 'theatrical' releases 5 and 6 years after their festival premieres respectively. Of course they're actually streaming premieres with what's going on, but they're both excellent films worth looking out for. They're ostensibly minimalist comedies about relationships that play with narrative structure in interesting ways. Hill of Freedom is very funny with its almost random scene progression and language-barrier inhibited dialogue; Yourself and Yours is more mysterious, but is one of the best films about relationships both ending and beginning.

Here's a new trailer for Yourself and Yours which smartly doesn't give away its central conceit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d60NQPOnBFg

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Jean-Claude Van Johnson was too good for this earth. And the lack of a second season is further proof that we are in the worst timeline.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Jean-Claude Van Johnson was too good for this earth. And the lack of a second season is further proof that we are in the worst timeline.

I really enjoyed it, but I think I'm good with just the one season.

I can understand how comrade detective might be too expensive to make, but I can't believe we didnt get a second season where the villain is the invisible hand. It felt like a super obvious hook with that finale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Swiss Army Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v92gXetGqA

... the fuck did I just watch?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Wes Anderson & Rob Zombie's Weekend at Bernie's reboot apparently.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Swiss Army Man is a great movie about the power of farts.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The movie lost me when he starts drinking water that is, uh, stored in his "buddy". Said buddy has been dead for several days at this point. I dunno if the movie has a point and I don't care, because drinking water out of a rotting corpse is a large step beyond the level of gross that is at all useful to a message.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Here's my summation of how powerful Harry Potter's performance was:

Playing a surreal farting corpse who's life affirming advice for Hank is maybe we are all dying sacks of shit and all it'll take is one person to be okay with this and the whole world will laugh, sing, dance, and fart together as one and no one will be alone.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »

farts and the power of love

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/VJV9acMsDwM

Looks promising to me.

Also love the idea of Lovecraftian horror starring poc. Hope Lovecraft is spinning in his grave.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

He’s pretty obsessed with water and drowning too

Most of his movies feature water as a hazard

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    In my head canon, the narrator from Shadow over Innsmouth was a poc trying to figure out what was happening in this town full of fish fucking rednecks

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Excellent!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    I do have to wonder are they making Keanu look older in this through make up, or is this just what he looks like without a beard? Because in John Wick he looks younger

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I still laugh way too hard at the scene in the first movie where the cops are booking all the historical figures:

Bill's cop dad:"Name?"

Abe:"Abraham Lincoln."

BCP:*starts writing it down*

Abe:"L-I-N-C-O-L-

Bill's Dad:"I KNOW HOW TO SPELL LINCOLN!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I like how they went full my gen with it. How they were told they were the saviors and got good at playing the guitar at the end of 2 but wasted it without putting in the effort to progress.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do have to wonder are they making Keanu look older in this through make up, or is this just what he looks like without a beard? Because in John Wick he looks younger

I think the beard just hides that little bit of neck paunch.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Man I like a fair bit of that trailer, and it's good to see death again, and I've been waiting for the trailer for like two years now since it was announced, but I'll be damned if Keanu just can't play Ted anymore.

I mean he made a career playing Ted (and whatever his name was in Parenthood, and Special Agent Johnny Utah) and then he started getting a more serious face and became Johnny Mnemonic and then Neo and then he became John Wick and had eyes that could make a Russian mobster shit himself and now seeing him bring it back to Ted he just seems a little defeated.

Meanwhile Alex Winter hasn't broken character since 1995

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Still going to see it fucking DAY ZERO though.

Better have Station AND Lincoln and SO-CRATES

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/kmXhLj7ASHs

Creepy Kevin Bacon movie, and this time without having to see his bacon.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    why are ghosts sending e-mails all of a sudden?

This discussion has been closed.