As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Don Cheatle

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Don Cheatle

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• darklordgenesisdarklordgenesis Registered User regular
    i like that they are both making an image of the other here

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    The noise-cancelling technology in this headset must be incredible if they can talk over a chainsaw!

• islingtonislington Registered User regular
    Ewok Gabe is slightly nightmare fuel

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Registered User regular
    That smile. . . so gentle

If these guys weren't already a success they could probably make a kids show

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I was confused, so I did the research so you don't have to:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-8360643/Audi-sack-German-Formula-E-driver-Daniel-Abt-CHEATING-charity-video-race.html

Short version: With nothing to gain and nothing on the line, idiot finds a way to lose everything.

Longer version:
    Daniel Abt is a racecar driver IRL. COVID19 has shut down his sport, but he's part of a series of videogame races to support charity and give fans something to watch.

In the last race he brought in a ringer, a professional video game player, to win the race for him. Because this was still a league sponsored event he was fined in the form of a compulsory donation to the charity in question. Because he was still on the Audi team's banner they canned him.

Hevach on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    That smile. . . so gentle

If these guys weren't already a success they could probably make a kids show

Pretty sure this was optioned, but never acted on.
    1068437334_vZatc-O.jpg

Artereis on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I was confused, so I did the research so you don't have to:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-8360643/Audi-sack-German-Formula-E-driver-Daniel-Abt-CHEATING-charity-video-race.html

Short version: With nothing to gain and nothing on the line, idiot finds a way to lose everything.

Longer version:
    Daniel Abt is a racecar driver IRL. COVID19 has shut down his sport, but he's part of a series of videogame races to support charity and give fans something to watch.

In the last race he brought in a ringer, a professional video game player, to win the race for him. Because this was still a league sponsored event he was fined in the form of a compulsory donation to the charity in question. Because he was still on the Audi team's banner they canned him.

Man

that's gonna be a conversation to have with your family

• LostNekoLostNeko Registered User new member
    According to his latest video it was all intended as a prank on the other drivers for that race. He and the 18 year old sim driver taped the whole thing with the intention to release it after the race but it blew up in his face before he could release the footage of the prank.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Ah, the "I was joking" defence

Right up there with "it was performance art", "you've taken the situation out of context", and "my black friends let me say it all the time"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

Right up there with "it was performance art", "you've taken the situation out of context", and "my black friends let me say it all the time"

Next door to "I am not that kind of person, I just took all the same actions that are indicative of being that kind of person."

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

"I just did it as a social experiment"

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Even if it was a pre-planned "prank" it was in poor taste. Because it's still cheating to bring in a ringer like that. And on top of that, why would you prank a charity auction? That by itself is a really inappropriate thing to do.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I can't bring myself to care about this enough to dig up the answer myself, but if anyone happens to know already and wants to share, I have a question. If he had gotten away with the swap, won the race, and was never discovered, would the charity in question have received any more or less money? I'm not counting the "compulsory donation" he had to make, which obviously resulted in more to the charity. I'm just curious if the charitable outcome would have been the same under normal circumstances regardless of what place in which he finished.

Not trying to excuse his behavior. Just curious about how the donations worked out.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I've done more puzzles in the last few months than my entire life.

Three.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    I can't bring myself to care about this enough to dig up the answer myself, but if anyone happens to know already and wants to share, I have a question. If he had gotten away with the swap, won the race, and was never discovered, would the charity in question have received any more or less money? I'm not counting the "compulsory donation" he had to make, which obviously resulted in more to the charity. I'm just curious if the charitable outcome would have been the same under normal circumstances regardless of what place in which he finished.

Not trying to excuse his behavior. Just curious about how the donations worked out.

Seems that it wouldn't have made a direct difference. There's no prize money and individual drivers weren't competing for their charities of choice but all for the benefit of one charity. Looks like ad revenue goes to the charity and they solicit donations from viewers.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I get that there's a bit of a "it's just a game" thought process going on. But, for the love of god, if these people would just think for a minute. Your employer is unable to do the one thing it exists for. The thing it pays you for. So it comes up with something else to do to try to stop some of the hemorrhaging. And... you don't take it seriously? It's not like they added this stuff on top of the regular business. Wouldn't it be good to, you know, take up the hard labor of playing some video games to help keep the lights on? I know it's a lot to ask.