As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Out of context my above quote probably sounds really bad.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Out of context your totp actually kinda makes it worse…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Woo! Models arrived and I picked them up today along with some crazy glue advanced

After spending more time than I would like cutting off sprue/ casting remnants, I managed to assemble my Exalted Hero of Chaos.

Only problem is trying to attach the model to the base.
    dd5du97n67ty.jpeg
    Next up will be either ordering a bunch of paints or just picking them up at the local hobby shop to support local.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So I did it
    I built my Medusa as it was in the box I did not think of the mask until the article
    e2t4lndqf2c9.png
    I cut and filed the face off
    5mwxnu6z4f08.png
    There was an air bubble!
    And ta da!
    2cxdeikq2e79.png

I did cut off the "head" inside the mask and filed it down as well I do need to fill in the top where the hair goes on the mask but that's not too hard

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

You're right but I'm not gonna change it now.

I've been trying my hand at free hand symbols of some banners and I've come to the conclusion that those who make sick ass banners are wizards.

• Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

You're right but I'm not gonna change it now.

I've been trying my hand at free hand symbols of some banners and I've come to the conclusion that those who make sick ass banners are wizards.

Duncan is a robot
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcc8BKY911g

• Options
    Whelp, I buckled hard.

Ordered
    Underworlds Beastgrave, Underworld Nightvault and a collection of paints (13 for $50)

I bought the box sets for the game boards and cards and dice as much as for the models
    And I needed paints anyways, so the box collection was a good price

Now if I can just stop ordering stuff online for a while I’ll be good :P :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    When it comes to Underworlds, if there is a dice set you like, just buy it. GW only manufactures them for a limited time and they can be a pain in the ass to get after they are oop. The same goes for the cardboard game surfaces.

I am a complete idiot and have spent too much money on dice for this game, but I think it's fun to use themed dice based on which warband I am playing:

Blue Stormcast Dice: Steelheart's Champions, Stormsire's Cursebreakers
    Red chaos dice: Garrek's Reavers, Magore's Fiends
    Green ork dice: Ironskull's Boyz, Rippa's Snarlfangs, Ylthari's Guardians
    Purple skeleton dice: Sepulchral Guard, Thorns of the Briar Queen, Spiteclaw's Swarm
    Grymwatch dice: The Grymwatch

And I bought the magic dice because whooo swirly.

I used to make fun of D&D playing friends because of the amount of dice they had when in reality you only need a handful, but now I get it.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten any of the team specific dice for underworlds yet, though I will certainly be picking up the Daughters of Khaine ones, but I do find they make quite handy non-specific markers for buffs/debuffs in other games cos they've got all the unique symbols on them.

• Options
    I have the eyes of nine dice with the card packs but they were sold as a bundle with the warband

I am curious about the DoK warband in the cards they have and would I need to get the other warbands' cards?
    I have the full set of eldar dice I only use it for markers as it's too small really to be of any use other than that

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    All my 40k daemons had some mortal allies show up.

Time to build some gross minis and play some Maggotkin

cme7abivzzyd.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Whelp, I buckled hard.

Ordered
    Underworlds Beastgrave, Underworld Nightvault and a collection of paints (13 for $50)

I bought the box sets for the game boards and cards and dice as much as for the models

Paints and box sets have arrived 😁

I just finished assembling my first 11 minis now only 21 to go 😄

Also managed to resolve my basing issue by just applying even moar glue

Picked up a can of white and a can of black base primer, which I’m hoping were the right things.

Also, compared the paints from the set I bought to all the paints suggested for the models to be table ready using standard technique and it looks like I need another 20 bases and shades to add to my initial 13.

How closely do people here suggest sticking to the paint guides for someone starting out? I’m guessing it’s better to have more paint in the long run

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The painting guides aren't bad necessarily, and I particularly think the tutorial videos they have on the warhammer TV youtube channel are quite good for beginners, but there's definitely a degree to which they're going to want you to buy more paint than you perhaps strictly need! That said you're right that having more paints now won't hurt later, they last a long time so long as you make sure the pots are sealed, I paint every day and there's some pots I've had for years that are still fine.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Whelp, I buckled hard.

Ordered

Paints and box sets have arrived 😁

I just finished assembling my first 11 minis now only 21 to go 😄

Also managed to resolve my basing issue by just applying even moar glue

Picked up a can of white and a can of black base primer, which I’m hoping were the right things.

Also, compared the paints from the set I bought to all the paints suggested for the models to be table ready using standard technique and it looks like I need another 20 bases and shades to add to my initial 13.

How closely do people here suggest sticking to the paint guides for someone starting out? I’m guessing it’s better to have more paint in the long run

Eh, I guess it just depends. There is certainly nothing at all wrong with following a guide and nothing wrong with just doing what you feel comfortable with.

As an example, I too got in to painting minis relatively recently (last summer) and these were the first dudes (first anything really) I ever painted.
    OiRMZCe.jpg
    I didn't do shading, edging, layers or anything fancy. Save for Nuln Oil I guess. At the end of the day I was (and still am) quite satisfied with the results. After getting comfortable I began to up my game a little bit, but I am by no means a good painter. Super enjoy it though.

edit- Oh I did Zenithal prime the minis though.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    The painting guides aren't bad necessarily, and I particularly think the tutorial videos they have on the warhammer TV youtube channel are quite good for beginners, but there's definitely a degree to which they're going to want you to buy more paint than you perhaps strictly need! That said you're right that having more paints now won't hurt later, they last a long time so long as you make sure the pots are sealed, I paint every day and there's some pots I've had for years that are still fine.

I still have paint that I got 20+ years ago that still works
    I feel one painting guide is a thing of gold but that's because they are a pain to paint
    2izqedl18utm.png

• Options
    But speaking of which Duncan did paint some Ionrach Namarti Thralls
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0746oRZ8fg

• Options
    edited May 2020
    More paint options will never hurt, but you absolutely don't need 35 paints to do a single infantry model like some of the GW tutorials show.

Obviously your needs will vary by your army, but you can get away with some pretty decent work with just a handful of basic colors, a couple highlight colors, a basing solution (like Astrogranite or Agrellan Earth, for example), and the holy duality of Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade.

The ghosts from Nightvault can look great with only 4-5 colors, which is nice.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    I posted the Duncan's video doing the Indoneth because A GW never showed how it was done other than the vague picture in the army book
    Yes the nighthaunt need only a few to look great but it's the comment of do you really want to go into that much detail with the rank in file of your army?
    As I did find a great argument about why you don't
    8bacqj5xw4bj.png
    brqkqaqeh529.png
    m8agc9io8yhs.png
    6r1wvdxkyozg.png
    Do you really want to paint a 140+ termagants doing this over and over? {I will paint the eyes in though as that detail I feel I cannot skip}

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I posted the Duncan's video doing the Indoneth because A GW never showed how it was done other than the vague picture in the army book
    Yes the nighthaunt need only a few to look great but it's the comment of do you really want to go into that much detail with the rank in file of your army?
    As I did find a great argument about why you don't
    8bacqj5xw4bj.png
    brqkqaqeh529.png
    m8agc9io8yhs.png
    6r1wvdxkyozg.png
    Do you really want to paint a 140+ termagants doing this over and over? {I will paint the eyes in though as that detail I feel I cannot skip}

Yeah that is a piece of advice I certainly agree with.

Rank and file get the "tabletop ready" treatment. My heroes or unique looking models get the extra TLC.

Like if I'm doing Imperial Guardsmen I'll straight up use tan primer from a rattlecan to prime them and then just paint some basic colors on everything else leaving the tan primer for the uniform color, plus Nuln Oil. Gotta have that Nuln Oil.

edit- for my Guardsmen I use about six colors + a wash. Tan primer, an OD green, black, a leather brown, a gunmetal color, plus a fleshtone. Then it is Agrax Earthshade (not Nuln Oil for these guys as it turns out).

But for any rank and file units for any of these types of games I'll have a similar process.

Axen on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Oh man yeah that's way too much work. With that example, you could easily get tabletop quality with white basecoat, seraphim sepia wash for the flesh and teeth, mephiston red for the shell, feet and tongue, nuln oil wash, then pick out the eyes.

• Options
    Oh with that all said though I do recommend dry brushing. It is very easy, very quick and actually adds a lot to the model.

• Options
    Yeah I’m collecting more for Underworld/ Warcry style play so I have lots of different squads that all use different colour schemes.

I think I will go through the GW site again and just count how often each colour is used and then I can just mix or substitute single uses and purchase the frequent uses

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I painted a Gaunt Summoner on the disc of Tzeentch. It was both trickier and easier than I expected

5tqwHlRh.jpg
    bNWY9sNh.jpg

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Crossposting my piggie, because I'm pretty happy with how she came out. It's definitely the biggest non-vehicle model I've ever painted.
    She took a while, but I finished my Hogor Warqueen (counting as Frostlord on Stonehorn)!
    I've always really loved the character in the Great Unclean One kit, but I never really had a reason to get one as I don't play anything Nurgle related. Conversely, I've never really gelled with the "Ogres on Mammoths" aesthetic of the Beastrider kits, so the problem here solved itself!
    Lot of greenstuff work sculpting the nose/ears/lips, giving her a proper regal bosom, and doing massive amounts of skin repair. The crown was 3D printed, as was the contents of her wine-goblet.

warpig_queen01.jpg
    warpig_queen02.jpg
    A loving marriage.
    warpig_queen03.jpg
    warpig_queen_turn01.gif
    Better video: https://imgur.com/fZFFuHp

And all the little piggies I've painter over the last couple months!
    warpigs_army01.jpg
    [/spoiler[

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I have but one awesome to give.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I have but one awesome to give.

You can give another one in the other thread :)

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    That is an absolutely stellar custom army McGibs

I really like the little piggy tail you added on the GUO model.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I'm finally getting another AOS game in with a friend of mine. He's going to be bringing Kharadron Overlords and I'm going to be bringing Stormcast Eternals.

I've never played against the steampunk blimp dwarves before, what am I getting myself into? We haven't decided on a mission yet, but we will be playing in Shyish/the realm of Death for the spook factor.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I'm finally getting another AOS game in with a friend of mine. He's going to be bringing Kharadron Overlords and I'm going to be bringing Stormcast Eternals.

I've never played against the steampunk blimp dwarves before, what am I getting myself into? We haven't decided on a mission yet, but we will be playing in Shyish/the realm of Death for the spook factor.

Lots of rend 1 shots from ships that can fly around the board.

Kharadron are surprisingly fast and feel like playing more of a 40k army than an AoS army.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

do whatever you can to get into melee as fast as you can, or you will get ripped apart

KO are expensive and fragile, but can dish out enormous hurt from range and can zip around the board easily

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    kharadron boats work the way ork and dark eldar vehicles should.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Alright, so go aggro Stormcast and push my dudes into melee as quickly as possible. I did pickup a second Celestar Ballista and a Lord Ordinator for laughs though, we'll see how that goes.

We're playing in Shyish and will be using a ton of graveyard terrain, so far the narrative we're working on is that it's a burial ground for the pre-reforging corpses of humans who became Stormcast. The dwarves are there because they think some of them may have been buried with ur-gold, and the Stormcast are not very excited about their brethren's original graves being desecrated.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Unfortunately they’re in the wrong game system

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

How do they work as dark eldar and ork vehicles should?

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I still don’t know what a stormcast is but I have four of them now

pbl1pybmmrki.jpeg
    We don’t talk about what happened to the fifth one

Nechriah on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

basically 40k transports are for all intents and purposes a pocket dimension that you can occasionally shoot out of. Which is fine for stuff like rhinos, less for the open topped transports.

KO boats are essentially treated like fancy terrain; units inside are considered part of the vehicle model, can shoot and fight using the footprint and, importantly, can be targeted for attacks albeit with cover and a -1 to hit.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    My copy of The Loathsome Ratmen and All Their Vile Kin finally shipped after about the 65 day time frame the book had originally in the first place. Kind of bummed out that it is gonna take another potential 9 days to arrive but I'm hoping shipping ends up being faster than the estimate is.

Has anyone read this before? I know it is a reprint.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Mid-game update:

Fuck Kharadron transports.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

basically 40k transports are for all intents and purposes a pocket dimension that you can occasionally shoot out of. Which is fine for stuff like rhinos, less for the open topped transports.

KO boats are essentially treated like fancy terrain; units inside are considered part of the vehicle model, can shoot and fight using the footprint and, importantly, can be targeted for attacks albeit with cover and a -1 to hit.

Hello, yes, as a Dark Eldar player I would very much like this system to be moved to 40k please.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Flying raider into close combat and then have everyone inside fight would be very cool.

Even better when it's Raider vs Raider. Prepare the boarding party!

honovere on
This discussion has been closed.