As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking Thread] Burning questions and searing remarks

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    mix up some chocolate chip cookie dough and just eat it raw

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Just got one of these bad boys

https://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/air-fryer-lid/

Made fries, fried chicken and cauliflower bites. Any other suggestions?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

How well did it work? I have an instant pot and not having another full sized device would be nice.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options

webguy20 wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »

How well did it work? I have an instant pot and not having another full sized device would be nice.

Exactly why we got it. We have a fairly small kitchen with limited counter space.

So far so good. Takes longer than a lot of recipes seem to be calling for but it's sweet once it's done. Pressure cooked a chicken switched the lids, and crisped up the skin.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    My kitchenaid has arrived. Someone tell me what to make with it.

Fresh butter.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    fms0xn74ve1r.jpeg

Chicken carnitas tacos!

Turned out very well. Instant pot chicken thighs with orange lime marinade for 8 minutes, then crisped up in a pan with a couple spoonfuls of the cooking liquid.

Topped with guacamole, tomato, and some habanero salsa

Yum

Definitely something I’ll do again.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    bueno

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    fms0xn74ve1r.jpeg

Chicken carnitas tacos!

Turned out very well. Instant pot chicken thighs with orange lime marinade for 8 minutes, then crisped up in a pan with a couple spoonfuls of the cooking liquid.

Topped with guacamole, tomato, and some habanero salsa

Yum

Definitely something I’ll do again.

Carnitas in the IP rock.

Made some pork ones yesterday... 35 min pressure and 25 natural release then right to a hot pan.

So good!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Hey cooking thread, I ordered a sous vide machine and a nice rubbermaid container to cook in. Planning to just use ziplocks for a bit, but hit me with your favorite recipes and things to cook with this!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Hey cooking thread, I ordered a sous vide machine and a nice rubbermaid container to cook in. Planning to just use ziplocks for a bit, but hit me with your favorite recipes and things to cook with this!

Here's one I like, a bit different from most out there in that it's a take on an Asian dish: https://tinyurbankitchen.com/48-hour-sous-vide-short-ribs-momofuku/

For the most part though it's seldom any specific recipe. It's mostly take whatever seasoning or sauce you like on a protein but cook the protein sous vide and you look up "Sous vide <ingredient>." Works especially well for the tougher cuts of meat that sell for less than steaks but have a lot of flavor if you give them enough cooking time (flat iron, hanger, skirt, and flank steaks or turkey legs for example).

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Sous vide is pretty versatile but I think your biggest bang for your buck in terms of simple technique leading to big improvement is anything of the fast cooking variety. ie - meats you want to cook to a specific temperature and then they are done. So like steaks, salmon, pork chops, pork tenderloin, etc. Steak is kind of the classic. Personally I'd say pork tenderloin though was the biggest jump in terms of "holy shit this is so much better then any other way I've ever eaten or cooked it". Just amazingly soft and tender and juicy.

I use this recipe for it:
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-pork-tenderloin-recipe.html

Any of Kenji's sous vide recipes on serious eats are a good place to start for basic meats imo.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Speaking of cooking with wine... after what feels like decades of telling anyone who would listen that I don't want an instant pot... I was recently gifted an instant pot. So I used it to make coq au vin.

i0sb783pv58n.jpg

Trust me under all that nonsense there are 4 chicken thighs with legs attached. I loosely followed the recipe linked below. I didn't bother marinating the chicken in the wine, I couldn't find shiitakes so I used porcini mushrooms instead (and I obliterated them into teeny tiny fragments because my wife hates mushrooms so I have to hide them), and I chopped up leftover bacon from breakfast that morning. Probably the best cooking advice about cooking with wine I ever got was don't use any wine you wouldn't drink. So while I'm sure this would make someone very upset but I used moscato d'asti, which is practically fruit juice, and is basically the only wine I really like.

So the end result? Very rich, sweet and tangy, smokey from the bacon, succulent and tender, and basically heart failure on a platter. Surprisingly the carrots, and mind you I hate carrots, were incredible. I don't regret not marinating the chicken, but were I too make it again (and I probably will) I would brine the chicken to get them even juicier and bring out more chicken flavor more so it doesn't get lost in the rich pan sauce.

The instant pot gets to stay.

Recipe:
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/instant-pot-coq-au-vin

This is a dope ass recipe! Kept forgetting to season when I was supposed to and my pan was too non-stick so I didn't really get any frond but this was some fucking good chicken. Gonna try it with Burgundy and red wine vinegar next time!

wy21aitnwpc4.jpg

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    A great thing about sous vide is that you can use frozen meat in it just fine. It takes a bit longer obviously, but it is such a slow even cook you don't get the still frozen center and dried outside effect. I've cooked sections of whole pork loins as wide as the bag from frozen solid and it took maybe 3.5 hours. So whenever they go on sale for like $1/lb I buy one and chop it in quarters and freeze it.

Metal binder clips are great for keeping the ziplock bag upright in the container.

I'll buy a chuck roast when they are on sale and just shove in the the sousvide for 36-48 hours. Then sear it in either a cast iron pan or on the grill.

Since it is fruit season, I love making gastriques to sauce with whatever is in. Get about 1/2 a cup of chopped up fruit, couple table spoons of sugar, bit of butter and some shallots. let it caramelize slightly on low heat to pull out the juices in the fruit, add 1/4 cup fruit juice(matching is ideal but something neutral is okay), 1/4 cup vinegar to deglaze. Let it simmer down for half hour or so.

Made one with cherries last night for venison loin and it was fantastic.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The usual use for sous vide is protean, like everyone else has mentioned. You really can't go wrong with it there. And don't just think that it's for getting a good medium-rare steak or doing chicken to a lower temperature (for longer though, so you're still killing the bugs) for moar juiciness; you can do longer cooks with it too. I've done both regular briskets and ones that were pastramified and gotten great results. 155 for around 48 hours usually does the trick.

Another area it works nicely is fruit based dessert technology. Peal and core an apple, cut it in half, stick it in a bag with some sugar, butter, vanilla bean, cider, and a little lemon juice (maybe some other stuff in there), cook it at something in the 170 or so range for 30 minutes, then reduce the juice and serve the whole mess with some vanilla ice cream.

I'd suggest getting a searz-all. It's not the most practical thing, but it's a turbo-blowtorch for your kitchen and that's justification enough to buy one.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It's a pain in the ass to set up but sous vide works extremely well for creme brulee.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Creme brulee is really easy to make in the oven. Making it years ago was the first time I'd ever had a dessert somewhere and wanted it again so badly that I sought out recipes online and bought some equipment I didn't have (ramekins and blowtorch) and even my first attempt was delicious. The trickiest part is finding that just right moment to take it out of the oven where it has the perfect consistency, but that just takes a little practice and doesn't even matter much because even an overly set creme brulee still tastes really damn good.

What does sous vide bring to the table for creme brulee?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Creme brûlée is all about temperature control, cooking the eggs without forming curds, so sous vide is an obvious choice to remove a lot of the fuss.

Javen on
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Creme brûlée is all about temperature control, cooking the eggs without forming curds, so sous vide is an obvious choice to remove a lot of the fuss.

I don't know how you could possibly form curds while making creme brulee unless you're using a double boiler method and not stirring enough, and that's a far more labor intensive way of doing it for no great benefit so it doesn't really make any sense to do so.

The standard method for making creme brulee is simply to mix your ingredients, divide evenly among ramekins, place them in a water bath and bake in the oven. It's dead simple and easy to do. There is no fuss, aside from checking for jiggle when they're nearing completion and pulling them from the oven at the right time.

• Options
    Creme brulee requires a very specific internal temperature, which ovens very much suck at, because most ovens don't actually retain a temperature. They turn on, hit the target temp, then turn off for a bit, before turning on again and repeating.

Sous vide obviously avoids this issue by allowing you to just set the temperature.

• Options
    I've made creme brulee hundreds of times in many different ovens - I'm a pastry school grad who worked in pastry for a time. It really isn't that fiddly. Unless you have an oven that is seriously miscalibrated and just not hitting your desired temp at all, you're going to be fine.

Making caramels or other candies? Those things require very specific temperatures to be hit - often for specific lengths of time as well while taking care not to exceed that temperature. Creme brulee is not at all that dependent on precision in temperature.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    First sous vide attempt: Success!

9rahuko71k6b.png

Could be better, but it's also strip steak so it could just be a better steak in general.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Ketar wrote: »
    I've made creme brulee hundreds of times in many different ovens - I'm a pastry school grad who worked in pastry for a time. It really isn't that fiddly. Unless you have an oven that is seriously miscalibrated and just not hitting your desired temp at all, you're going to be fine.

Making caramels or other candies? Those things require very specific temperatures to be hit - often for specific lengths of time as well while taking care not to exceed that temperature. Creme brulee is not at all that dependent on precision in temperature.

Cool! No one said that you can't make it in an oven. But the benefits to sous vide are pretty clear; namely that it removes more points of failure for people who aren't trained or haven't made it hundreds of times.

Determining doneness by sight or touch isn't necessary. You don't need to test via jiggle where you're forced to open the oven and maybe it's too jiggly or not jiggly enough. You don't need to worry about oven hot-spots, so what if one dish heats up faster than another? Not insurmountable obstacles, but still kind of a pain, and pretty common.

Creme brulee is best pulled after hitting 170-175, so I'd call a 5 degree range to be pretty precise, considering you don't really want to keep opening the oven to check.

It's certainly not the only way to make creme brulee, and does result in a slightly different texture that is going to make the results subjective to taste, but the stated benefits are very much "it's more foolproof than the alternatives"

Javen on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Cool! No one said that you can't make it in an oven. But the benefits to sous vide are pretty clear; namely that it removes more points of failure for people who aren't trained or haven't made it hundreds of times.

Determining doneness by sight or touch isn't necessary. You don't need to test via jiggle where you're forced to open the oven and maybe it's too jiggly or not jiggly enough. You don't need to worry about oven hot-spots, so what if one dish heats up faster than another? Not insurmountable obstacles, but still kind of a pain, and pretty common.

Creme brulee is best pulled after hitting 170-175, so I'd call a 5 degree range to be pretty precise, considering you don't really want to keep opening the oven to check.

It's certainly not the only way to make creme brulee, and does result in a slightly different texture that is going to make the results subjective to taste, but the stated benefits are very much "it's more foolproof than the alternatives"

America's Test Kitchen recently posted their recipe for sous vide creme brulee and it's like stupidly easy. Mix a bunch of stuff in a bowl, strain, fill jars, cook in water bath.

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    Sous vide creme brulee also lets you use non oven safe containers like glass etc.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Can you report someone for talking shit about strip steaks?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

America's Test Kitchen recently posted their recipe for sous vide creme brulee and it's like stupidly easy. Mix a bunch of stuff in a bowl, strain, fill jars, cook in water bath.

Huh. Jars is a good idea. I was making it in ramekins, so I had to get it in the water bath with the water raised up to almost the top of the ramekin but not over, and it has to be up on a rack if for no other reason than to get past the minimum fill line on the water circulator. Putting it in a little jar would mean you could just slap lids on and dunk the whole thing in the bath. I may have to try that.

The advantage to sous vide creme brulee is it hits a specific temperature and holds it there, zero guesswork, you don't have to pull them "at the right moment" to get them right. There's no carryover heat that continues to cook them after you've pulled them from the sous vide bath, either. You get the perfect consistency and texture every time.

Cooking them (or anything) in the oven is perfectly valid and if you want to do it that way, go ahead. It's a matter of personal preference. For me, I find the sous vide method less prone to mistakes.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Mason jars are best imo because you can air-seal them

And while you can certainly do it in a larger mason jar and then dish it out into smaller vessels, this can mess with the consistency and carmelization of the sugar. But the 4 oz ones work REALLY well

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    rib eye > strip steak

I personally prefer strip steaks, but even if you rank them backwards...that just means strip steak is the 2nd best cut of beef.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    If I'm eating a whole steak I prefer ribeye but if I'm cutting it into slices so that I can eat an actually reasonable portion of meat I like strip better. I can't explain why as it makes no sense.

Regarding sous vide and jars: cheesecake. You mix the ingredients, dump it in small mason jars, and in the water at 170 for 90 minutes. Excellent cheesecake.

I haven't tried putting graham cracker crumbs in the bottom as a 'crust' yet but I've got a box to try it this weekend. Also going to have to try this creme brulee business.

If you've got a smoker, sous vide makes ultra-tender smoked ribs dead simple. Put 'em in the sous vide for 48 hours, fridge for a few hours to firm up, refresh the rub, on the smoker until they're back to 165. I've heard debate about smoking it first, then sous vide but that just seems super weird to me, process-wise. Way easier to toss the ribs in on a weekday and smoke on the weekend than smoke on the weekend and then my ribs are done on a Tuesday or something.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I'm just saying, I don't think the second best cut of beef is a bad steak.

I mean, we aren't talking filet over here, or God forbid, bacon wrapped filet

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Give me a good 45 day aged sirloin or NY strip. Damn does that sound good.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I'm just saying, I don't think the second best cut of beef is a bad steak.

I mean, we aren't talking filet over here, or God forbid, bacon wrapped filet

I honestly prefer hanger steak to strip or ribeye (which is my preferred among those two) but that's not exactly something most people think of when they talk about steak. There's also just not much of it on a cow too so availability is much lower.

I can enjoy filet mignon since I used to cook all my steaks rare and that's the best temperature for filet but I'm pretty sure most people get it because they think it's fancy. However, I will not pay what filet normally costs as it is not worth it when ribeyes and strips are usually less expensive.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ribeye has f l a v o r

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Gimme that bone in, 2 inch thick, fatty cut of meat!

As you say
    hzenswh2p4n3.png

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I made this for my Birthday last year. Smoked for like an hour and a half and pan finished. My family thought it was weird I wanted to cook on my birthday, but this was the best present. That's a 12" skillet it's in.

5zctncro2s8d.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My wife and I went to some cooking classes last year, and while they were LARGELY not worth the insane cost, each one taught us tiny things we use almost daily that I wish to pass on to you:

1) crack eggs against flat surfaces instead of bowls, because it preserves the yolk from breaking
    2) you can and should use a spoon to peel ginger

Also you can make creme brulee with ginger and it's dope, but really those were the two very tiny things that people may or may not know but which I've found very helpful.

• Options
    Made smash burgers tonight. I love cooking in cast iron for two reasons. One is that it makes amazing food. These burgers came out with the most amazing crust on both sides while still being incredibly juicy. Second reason is when everything cooks perfectly in the pan, the patties release with no issue, it only takes like 30 seconds to clean up once the burgers are done, and then you're left with this pan with a deep black consistent seasoning, and it's like that because I've taken good care of the pan and cooked a ton of food in it. I love that the pans get better with every use.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    My wife and I went to some cooking classes last year, and while they were LARGELY not worth the insane cost, each one taught us tiny things we use almost daily that I wish to pass on to you:

1) crack eggs against flat surfaces instead of bowls, because it preserves the yolk from breaking
    2) you can and should use a spoon to peel ginger

Also you can make creme brulee with ginger and it's dope, but really those were the two very tiny things that people may or may not know but which I've found very helpful.

Wait, what? How do you peel ginger with a spoon?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Scraping with the tip. Don't gouge.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I've never been able to crack eggs on a flat surface well. Either the shell doesn't crack enough, or the shell smashes and I make a huge mess.