As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• orangemo8orangemo8 Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    orangemo8 wrote: »
    Rewatching King of the Hill from the start.

The first season is ROUGH.

I agree, the first season had some really weird stuff. It's not bad at all, in fact, it's pretty decent, it's just that when you compare it to season 2 it's far worse. I'm on my rewatch about to finish season 2.

Bless the Harts will have a lot to live up to next fall if it wants to win the diehard KOTH and Bob's Burgers fans over.

Season 2 def starts shaping up into the show it would become.

Weirdly enough I think it really hits it's stride in the paintball episode with Green Day.

I like that paintball episode. I'll resume rewatching KOTH once I've finished Bob's Burgers.

Glad they have options for those who want to view it in 16:9 as well. Win for everyone.

So guys now that the season is over, why not give a season review on all the shows?

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Will they just pan&scan for 16:9? *shudder*

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Glal wrote: »
    Will they just pan&scan for 16:9? *shudder*

I think the 16:9 episodes are just being displayed as is.

Mc zany on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Sure, but we're talking the original 4:3 seasons. Unlike with old TV shows where, if they were recorded on film, you still have extra footage on the sides you can use (with care, since they were not likely to expect those bits to ever be seen), animation won't have any added sides to pad it to 16:9 comfortably.

Pan&scan is the devil.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Glad they have options for those who want to view it in 16:9 as well. Win for everyone.

So guys now that the season is over, why not give a season review on all the shows?

I would but I've been told that not automatically hating modern Simpsons "comes off as trollish," and I'm too tired for that battle yet again.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I would but I've been told that not automatically hating modern Simpsons "comes off as trollish," and I'm too tired for that battle yet again.

Ah that's not true. I still watch modern Simpsons and think it can be pretty good sometimes. It's better than modern Family Guy, also which still has its moments.

Simpsons season 31 7.5/10

Family Guy season 18 6/10

Bob's Burgers season 10 9/10

Duncanville 7/10

Bless the Harts 8.5/10

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya like Simpson's may rarely hit the highs of those peak seasons but it's still very watchable and far from a bad show.

Some of my biggest laughs have come from the later seasons on rewatch also

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Duncanville is a 7, huh? I watched the 1st episode and could not wait for it to be over. Does it improve, or is it just a miss for me?

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Ya like Simpson's may rarely hit the highs of those peak seasons but it's still very watchable and far from a bad show.

Some of my biggest laughs have come from the later seasons on rewatch also

It's biggest sin is being forgettable. I've been rewatching the series on Disney+ and it seems like it was just a rare and almost opportune chance of brilliant writers and creative minds working at their peak for like seasons 3-7. It's been mostly boring for a lot longer now than it was ever essential watching.

But goddamn are those essential episodes still essential viewing.

AlphaRomero on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Sure, but we're talking the original 4:3 seasons. Unlike with old TV shows where, if they were recorded on film, you still have extra footage on the sides you can use (with care, since they were not likely to expect those bits to ever be seen), animation won't have any added sides to pad it to 16:9 comfortably.

Pan&scan is the devil.

I mean you can just leave the sides black. It's not a huge deal. Better than losing jokes because you cut a huge chunk of the image off.

You can get away with cutting things out of widescreen to fit into SD sometimes. The reverse...you're losing a big chunk of things.

Duncanville is a 7, huh? I watched the 1st episode and could not wait for it to be over. Does it improve, or is it just a miss for me?

Not sure the pilot was not good but I think it has its moments. 7/10 is good but it could be much better.

I gave Bless the Harts an 8.5 so maybe that might be your show instead.

Phoenix-D wrote: »

Pan&scan is the devil.

I mean you can just leave the sides black. It's not a huge deal. Better than losing jokes because you cut a huge chunk of the image off.

You can get away with cutting things out of widescreen to fit into SD sometimes. The reverse...you're losing a big chunk of things.

Man pan and scan is awful. I know this too well from the pre-1948 Looney Tunes cartoons.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I really liked Duncanville.

It reminds me a lot of Clerks the animated series, where it's random family guy style humor, but waaaaay less mean spirited.

I really liked Duncanville.

It reminds me a lot of Clerks the animated series, where it's random family guy style humor, but waaaaay less mean spirited.

Don’t like it as much as you but I think there’s potential. I prefer Bless the Harts.

The episode of King of the Hill where Hank becomes a pimp by accident is one of the best 30 minutes of tv ever.

Central Park is out now on Apple TV+, and it's getting good reviews.

• WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    The episode of King of the Hill where Hank becomes a pimp by accident is one of the best 30 minutes of tv ever.

I prefer the one where Bobby takes a Woman's Self Defense Class at the YMCA and kicks Hank in the "testicles".

It's not out until Friday right?

There will be a table read of an upcoming season 2 episode of Bless the Harts Monday June 1 at 6pm ET/3pm PT on Youtube channel ANIMATION ON FOX. Ken Jeong and David Herman will guest star.

https://www.tvinsider.com/936230/bless-the-harts-charity-table-read-season-2-sneak-peek

I prefer the one where Bobby takes a Woman's Self Defense Class at the YMCA and kicks Hank in the "testicles".

I just got to that one. No matter how many times I heard it, "You don't know me! That's my purse!" being yelled by Bobby right before he kicks someone in the crotch still slays me.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular

"Bobby Goes Nuts" may be one of the greatest episodes of not only KOTH, but TV, all time.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

I just got to that one. No matter how many times I heard it, "You don't know me! That's my purse!" being yelled by Bobby right before he kicks someone in the crotch still slays me.

The quote is actually "That's my purse! I don't know you!" :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!

Or the one where Bobby gets gout. It kills me every time.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Or the one where Bobby gets gout. It kills me every time.

I think you mean the one where he meets Madam and gets a rascal...

I really wish Disney would put King of the Hill on Disney + so I didn't have to worry about commercials on stupid Hulu. :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I really wish Disney would put King of the Hill on Disney + so I didn't have to worry about commercials on stupid Hulu. :(

And that’s why I got Hulu+. Time is money.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Well the first two episodes, with new ones each Friday.

I was kind of iffy on the music, the first big song Own It started off kind of eh for me, but as it passed from character to character it just got better and better, and near the end when it got to Daveed Diggs' character Helen, I was hooked.

Viskod on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

I live in dread of the day this doesn't make me smile.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Well the first two episodes, with new ones each Friday.

I was kind of iffy on the music, the first big song Own It started off kind of eh for me, but as it passed from character to character it just got better and better, and near the end when it got to Daveed Diggs' character Helen, I was hooked.

I just watched the first two episodes and I didn't like it much. It very much feels like it was made to be dumped out all at once like a movie and has been arbitrarily cut up and then songs interjected in that may or may not have anything to really do. Some of the songs are pretty nice, mind you, but it feels about 50/50 so far, and it's already trying to do like four plot threads even before the songs take up a bunch of time, so especially in the second episode, so much needed time to develop rather than unceremoiously going to the pre-announced conclusion.

Speaking of which, I also detest the narrator character with the force of a thousand suns. It's like the shit anime loves to do in recent years where it announces it's going to do some cliche thing, explains exactly what the cliche is, does it, and then re-explains what it has just done, like excessively calling attention to it makes it a joke in some way.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I knowit moved off Fox but I still love American Dad. Steve's lifeless body being shot up casually just had me in hysterics.

It's funnier than it sounds.

Damn the Bless the Harts table read has been postponed.

Has anyone checked out Crossing Swords on Hulu yet is it any good?

soxtrfqssuc8.jpeg

Renewed ahead

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It hasnt even aired yet has it?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    It hasnt even aired yet has it?

Not yet January 2021

Perfect way to celebrate Bob’s Burgers’ 10th anniversary

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I know it's not an either / or proposition, but I'd take more American Dad and Futurama over Family Guy and The Simpsons.