As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    And touching on that note, is there a central location I check to see which ranges are open? I want to join a Washington gun range, but I don't want to pay for something I can't use.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    And touching on that note, is there a central location I check to see which ranges are open? I want to join a Washington gun range, but I don't want to pay for something I can't use.

I think if it's attached to a gun shop (which are considered essential), the range portion should be open. I know the one I'm currently a member with is still open (Shooting Sports Northwest).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I think if it's attached to a gun shop (which are considered essential), the range portion should be open. I know the one I'm currently a member with is still open (Shooting Sports Northwest).

It's good to contact them to be sure though. In my area ranges are allowed be open but most didn't due to difficulty enforcing social distancing measures.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    West Coast Armory is open, if you're around Seattle/Eastside.

• Options
    I'm quickly approaching the 300-days-since-pending mark on the wait for my Nomad 30. It's super frustrating that the ATF doesn't seem to process forms in any specific order. Forms from January and February are being approved right now.

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    WAguns has an outdoor range map that’s been getting a lot of use since this all started, but for indoor (or even ‘indoor’) ranges I’m not sure. The one I go to (Renton Fish and Game) is open to members and cops/mil only.

David Walgas on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    I'm quickly approaching the 300-days-since-pending mark on the wait for my Nomad 30. It's super frustrating that the ATF doesn't seem to process forms in any specific order. Forms from January and February are being approved right now.

Too busy shooting dogs I’d imagine

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    TBH ATFE should be a store, not an agency.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Everyone calls the fee a tax, just let the IRS handle it.

• Options

It is a tax.

And it really shouldn’t even be a thing. It should be like going to the store to buy any other accessory.

• Options

At one time the BATFE was literally part of Internal Revenue Bureau, the preceding agency to the IRS, and were a bunch of nerdy accountants processing and collecting taxes on alcohol. Over time, as with every other agency, they morphed away from this mandate over the course of multiple moves finally ending up at the DOJ (for a second time in their history) with tax collection on alcohol and tobacco production remaining with the Treasury Department's TTB.

Every agency wants to be the cool guy agency and do gangster shit.

• Options
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    TBH ATFE should be a store, not an agency.

atf_cs on Instagram just put up a cool upload from a ‘95 Penthouse about Waco.

They post other cool gun related things too.

• Options
    I keep getting burned by had decisions about shitty hardware. "It's just an offset picatinny rail mount, I should be fine with the off-brand junk, right?"

Then $17 and a week later I'm ordering the actual right thing I should have in the first place from Arisaka.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I keep getting burned by had decisions about shitty hardware. "It's just an offset picatinny rail mount, I should be fine with the off-brand junk, right?"

Then $17 and a week later I'm ordering the actual right thing I should have in the first place from Arisaka.

ugh

I'm hoping I can cheap out with a Midwest Industries mount for my PSA AK, and supposedly PSA uses that as their benchmark, but I keep hearing "just buy the RS Regulate"

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »

At one time the BATFE was literally part of Internal Revenue Bureau, the preceding agency to the IRS, and were a bunch of nerdy accountants processing and collecting taxes on alcohol. Over time, as with every other agency, they morphed away from this mandate over the course of multiple moves finally ending up at the DOJ (for a second time in their history) with tax collection on alcohol and tobacco production remaining with the Treasury Department's TTB.

Every agency wants to be the cool guy agency and do gangster shit.

You'd think if they wanted to do gangster shit they'd be trying as hard as they could to get rolled into the CIA, but no...

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Today is background check paperwork day.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Today is background check paperwork day.

Hey, same here! Now to just wait for either the background check to time-out or the sheriff's department actually clears me before I can pick up my Ruger-57.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    My buddy is offering me one of his AK’s. Still would rather get the ZPAP with bulge and chrome lined barrel but who is to say I can’t end up with two?

His is an underfolder.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    duxgo36nydsa.jpg

Weaver on
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular

ugh

I'm hoping I can cheap out with a Midwest Industries mount for my PSA AK, and supposedly PSA uses that as their benchmark, but I keep hearing "just buy the RS Regulate"

How do you like the PSA AK? I'm contemplating getting a rifle and their AK models are among those I'm considering. Most of the reviews I've seen seem to place them in 'very solid, mid range' as far as domestic AKs go.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    My buddy is offering me one of his AK’s. Still would rather get the ZPAP with bulge and chrome lined barrel but who is to say I can’t end up with two?

His is an underfolder.

I though most Yugos didnt have chrome lined barrels?

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    there's a very specific new production model from Zastava USA (relatively new company, cutting out the middleman wrt QC) with a chrome lined barrel, but yeah most don't

I got one of the previous batch, with slightly thinner receiver walls and the non-bulged trunion, but I don't necessarily regret it because it's slightly lighter and that's a very hard quality to change in an AK

if you take care of a rifle, don't feed it corrosive ammo (esp not without cleaning after said corrosive ammo), and store it adequately, a non-lined barrel isn't a huge deal and some nerds even speculate it may have slight perks

• Options
    Chrome line is nice but not necessary and good luck finding corrosive ammo.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Phant wrote: »

ugh

How do you like the PSA AK? I'm contemplating getting a rifle and their AK models are among those I'm considering. Most of the reviews I've seen seem to place them in 'very solid, mid range' as far as domestic AKs go.

I've got a Gen 3 and I like it. The front sight post is slightly canted but it shoots straight. Fit and finish apart from that seems fine. Came with Magpul furniture and it has the Soviet style scope mount on the side. The Gen 3s have a forged trunnion and passed Rob Ski's test, apparently Gen 1 and 2 had problems.

There's a new model coming out / out now I'm not familiar with, I think they've done a chrome-lined barrel or other improvements, but iirc that's around 850 where mine was 650.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Current AK prices are stupid.

Low supply high demand.

• Options
    Heck yeah buddy. The form for my Nomad 30 was just approved.

• Options
    Made an appointment for the 11th to pick up the M1, assuming no problems with the paperwork.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    duxgo36nydsa.jpg

Damn that looks nice.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Trying to decide between a Cetme L and or a G3 clone.

Hmmm

• Options
    Trying to decide between a Cetme L and or a G3 clone.

Hmmm

I really enjoy shooting my PTR91. I have an older JLD Enterprises model without the paddle and with the wide handguard.

• Options
    The big concern is my experience with .308 is very limited. And I hear that a G3 is particularly brutal due to the roller delayed blowback. Which is why I am leaning towards a Cetme L.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    As far as I understand the 5.56 versions like the L and HK/PTR 93 are very fun to shoot because the weight of the rifle mitigates the already negligible recoil of 5.56 even more. Recoil management isn't a huge deal for me but I can certainly understand why the 91 would be a bit much for someone who has a concern about recoil. I wouldn't say it is unreasonable but for a first time shooter or someone with limited experience with a full size cartridge it can be a bit overwhelming (not the recoil alone but the recoil plus the report plus the weight of the rifle).

If you can find one, there were some Century built HK93 clones floating around designated the C93 for a decent price a few years ago. The current Gun Broker price level seems almost double what their MSRP was though.

PTR also has a 7.62x39 model now.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Also if you do decide to go for it, be advised that those rifles absolutely mangle brass on ejection. I've heard enough accounts that trying to reload rounds for them is basically a non-starter on account of how badly they dent the cases on ejection.

• Options
    Not into reloading at all but I appreciate the heads up.

• Options
    And to tie into my reloading comment, I am officially, the dumbest reloader on the planet. While going through my endless backlog of brass to process, I started working on my .308 cases and without thinking, I left the shellholder for my .44 mag cases in my press and started resizing a .308 case. I had the case fully inserted before I realized I had used the wrong shellplate so I now I had a full length rifle case stuck in the die. Panicking, I looked up several videos online to remove the stuck case. I tried the official method from Lee's website and ended up damaging the decapper pin so badly I couldn't reassemble the die. Frustrated, I drove 30 minutes to a nearby cabelas to buy a new die as Lee no longer offered the stuck case removal service that their manual says that they do, so I get the replacement die all set up and in the middle of all the floundering around trying to get the case loose, I put a new case in....and forgot that I hadn't swapped the shellplate for my .44mag cases out again...so I have another stuck case. I'm going to try one of those stuck case kits that rely on drilling out the case and see if that works because I can't believe I would be that stupid to do the same thing twice, but here we are.

• Options
    Enough people have lost multiple fingers that you aren't possibly a front-runner for dumbest reloader.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

I dunno, I feel like flame and lightning are better for day to day grinding, and frost is vital for so many boss encounters it might as well come pre-loaded on all raid drop kits, with a 'wtf are you thinking' note if the user tries to swap it out.

God damned casuals.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Enough people have lost multiple fingers that you aren't possibly a front-runner for dumbest reloader.

Well I'm definitely well on my way up there. I tried the drill kit offered by RCBS and either I wasn't able to pull the decapper pin back far enough to safely drill things, but I appear to have mangled the pin in the process as well...just...argh. Two 30 dollar reloading dies destroyed in the span of a week I swear I'm not normally this klutzy!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I have been thinking about picking up an AR for some time, but I think I'm gonna panic buy soon. The main issue I have is that I am left handed/shoot left handed.

I'm torn on whether it's worth it to spend the extra money on a left ejecting rifle or if I should just deal with it with deflectors.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »

I dunno, I feel like flame and lightning are better for day to day grinding, and frost is vital for so many boss encounters it might as well come pre-loaded on all raid drop kits, with a 'wtf are you thinking' note if the user tries to swap it out.

God damned casuals.

I haven’t played video games in so long I am ashamed I don’t get this reference like I would have several years back.